Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Default Can You Stay on Ideal Protein While on a Cruise?

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Way too difficult. That said, I just got back from my 7 day cruise to the Caribbean, and not only stayed OP 100%, but lost 2.5 pounds on top of it. This was easily my biggest challenge on IP yet. I switched to phase 2 for the week. We had the same waiter and assistant waiter each night for dinner and by the end of the cruise they knew IP almost as well as I did. They knew not to offer me the variety of dinner rolls each night. They knew I needed my veggies steamed, no oil or butter and even which veggies I could and couldn't have, and to never offer me the dessert menu each night to look at. It was like having my own personal coaches there each day. I brought my bars for breakfast every morning and I hit the buffet for lunch each day. I even brought RTD for the times I needed some protein when I was on a land excursion and was starting to get hungry.

Even as my mom (who isn't on IP) would sit there at dessert eating her warm chocolate cake dripping with some yummy looking sauce and telling me how proud she was of me for sticking with this on the cruise, I hung in there. All I had to do was look around at all these really overweight people stuffing their faces with food, and that was enough motivation for me. Almost forgot, also wearing my much smaller new clothes also really helped too. I also hit the incredible gym and walking/running deck they had on board most days too. Nothing better then walking on that deck watching the beautiful blue ocean go bye.

So can you cruise or vacation while on IP? You bet you can. Would I recommend it, probably not. Lets just say I was one happy camper last night to sit and enjoy my vanilla pudding shake again at home. Tomorrow is my WI day and I'm going to have one happy coach.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #2  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Sounds like you had an amazing time and was completely successful losing 2.5lbs as well. Congrats!! and welcome home
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #3  

Thanks Lisa! Usually I'm the one who never wants vacations to end. This time I was VERY ready to come home.
BTW, great new pics of you.

Last edited by DanafromAustin; 03-05-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #4  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
Thanks Lisa! Usually I'm the one who never wants vacations to end. This time I was VERY ready to come home.
BTW, great new pics of you.
You are welcome and thanks!!....you need to post a few pics of you in your "cruise wear"!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #5  
Started IP 11/28/2011

S/C/G: 268.6/174.0/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Way too difficult. That said, I just got back from my 7 day cruise to the Caribbean, and not only stayed OP 100%, but lost 2.5 pounds on top of it. This was easily my biggest challenge on IP yet. I switched to phase 2 for the week. We had the same waiter and assistant waiter each night for dinner and by the end of the cruise they knew IP almost as well as I did. They knew not to offer me the variety of dinner rolls each night. They knew I needed my veggies steamed, no oil or butter and even which veggies I could and couldn't have, and to never offer me the dessert menu each night to look at. It was like having my own personal coaches there each day. I brought my bars for breakfast every morning and I hit the buffet for lunch each day. I even brought RTD for the times I needed some protein when I was on a land excursion and was starting to get hungry.

Even as my mom (who isn't on IP) would sit there at dessert eating her warm chocolate cake dripping with some yummy looking sauce and telling me how proud she was of me for sticking with this on the cruise, I hung in there. All I had to do was look around at all these really overweight people stuffing their faces with food, and that was enough motivation for me. Almost forgot, also wearing my much smaller new clothes also really helped too. I also hit the incredible gym and walking/running deck they had on board most days too. Nothing better then walking on that deck watching the beautiful blue ocean go bye.

So can you cruise or vacation while on IP? You bet you can. Would I recommend it, probably not. Lets just say I was one happy camper last night to sit and enjoy my vanilla pudding shake again at home. Tomorrow is my WI day and I'm going to have one happy coach.
Congratulations Dana!! Well done. It's always nice getting back home and back into a routine again. I am sure you have wonderful memories. What great
doublebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
You are welcome and thanks!!....you need to post a few pics of you in your "cruise wear"!
I would, but not sure how to do the thumbnail pics (technically challenged over here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebaby View Post
Congratulations Dana!! Well done. It's always nice getting back home and back into a routine again. I am sure you have wonderful memories. What great
Thank you! It does feel great to succeed now that I'm home of course eating my chicken soup for lunch.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 266/218/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:

Congrats Dana! I am going on a 7 day Alaskan cruise in June and I have been wondering how I will do it. Thank you for sharing your experiences!
mtnsun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #8  
Started IP 1/10/12

S/C/G: 175.2/146.6/130

Height: 5'5"

Way to go Dana! And to lose 2.5lbs on top of it all, that's amazing. Really inspired by this
tenniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #9  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Way too difficult. That said, I just got back from my 7 day cruise to the Caribbean, and not only stayed OP 100%, but lost 2.5 pounds on top of it.
You go, girl!!! That is sooo awesome!! You should really be proud of yourself that you were 100% OP...especially for 7 days. That must have felt like a lifetime. And to have LOST weight...you deserve a prize!
bethanym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsun4 View Post
Congrats Dana! I am going on a 7 day Alaskan cruise in June and I have been wondering how I will do it. Thank you for sharing your experiences!
Since your cruise isn't till June you will be fine by then too. I never could have made it if I hadn't already been on IP for 5 months. It's such a part of my life now that cheating wasn't an even an option as hard as it is. Just plan on doing phase 2 for a week. There were several days that I did do phase 1, but it was easier knowing I had the options of going back and fourth. BTW, my favorite cruise was to Alaska. So incredibly beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniels View Post
Way to go Dana! And to lose 2.5lbs on top of it all, that's amazing. Really inspired by this
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanym View Post
You go, girl!!! That is sooo awesome!! You should really be proud of yourself that you were 100% OP...especially for 7 days. That must have felt like a lifetime. And to have LOST weight...you deserve a prize!
LOL, it did feel like a lifetime for sure. I did buy myself some prizes while on the ship. Normally I'm the one who brings home lots of gifts for everyone. This time I bought myself some gifts too. I bought myself a watch, a leather purse and the cutest top which is too small for me at this time. They did have my size now, but I wanted a goal shirt. Lots of fun to treat myself for once.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

That is TRULY impressive. Way to go!
bigpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #12  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
LOL, it did feel like a lifetime for sure. I did buy myself some prizes while on the ship. Normally I'm the one who brings home lots of gifts for everyone. This time I bought myself some gifts too. I bought myself a watch, a leather purse and the cutest top which is too small for me at this time. They did have my size now, but I wanted a goal shirt. Lots of fun to treat myself for once.
Good for you! Very well deserved!!!

What cruiseline did you go on? I have 2 as clients.
bethanym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 201/?see ticker?/150

Height: 5'6"

Way to go Dana!!! I took a cruise to the Caribbean last fall and I am 100% certain that I gained back at least 75% of my weight in those 9 days I was gone!!! Crazy good food, and so much right at your finger tips!! Amazing willpower!!! =)
whisperingshouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

Thank you for your story!!

My husband and I are going to France and Italy for almost 2 weeks to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary in May and 8 days of it will be a food and wine cruise out of Nice. I plan on eating very healthy - lean protein and green veggies, no breads and can actually skip the wine. My husband loves wine so he can partake and I don't mind. I will bring plenty of chocolate shakes and bars with me, so hopefully will come back not too much worse off. But if I do, it's nothing being strict on IP can't handle.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpassport View Post
That is TRULY impressive. Way to go!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanym View Post
Good for you! Very well deserved!!!

What cruiseline did you go on? I have 2 as clients.
We were on the Royal Carribbean Mariner of the Seas. I've been on lots of cruise ships, but this was the nicest one so far. They are SO BIG these days. Which ones are your clients?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingshouts View Post
Way to go Dana!!! I took a cruise to the Caribbean last fall and I am 100% certain that I gained back at least 75% of my weight in those 9 days I was gone!!! Crazy good food, and so much right at your finger tips!! Amazing willpower!!! =)
It is definitely a food fest! My coach told me today that I am the first client in the clinic ever to have lost on a cruise. I wasn't surprised at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
Thank you for your story!!

My husband and I are going to France and Italy for almost 2 weeks to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary in May and 8 days of it will be a food and wine cruise out of Nice. I plan on eating very healthy - lean protein and green veggies, no breads and can actually skip the wine. My husband loves wine so he can partake and I don't mind. I will bring plenty of chocolate shakes and bars with me, so hopefully will come back not too much worse off. But if I do, it's nothing being strict on IP can't handle.
I think Italy and France's food will easily match the challenge I had of staying on plan while on a cruise. However by May you will be so into IP like I am that you will have the willpower to power through. Just walk a lot (keep active) and be prepared. My goal this past week wasn't to loose, just not to gain. Loosing was just a pleasant surprise. Do plan on at least phase 2 for those 2 weeks. Sounds like a wonderful trip and those are the two countries I would love to visit next. Can't wait to hear about your trip.