Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #76  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurge View Post
Huge NSV today! It was one of my co-worker's birthday today they got her a cake and while I was out for lunch they left not one but TWO big pieces on my desk. I got the bowl that I had my soup in and neatly put them inside it to give to my roommates when I got home. Just because I can't have it doesn't mean they can't. LOL! I also dropped another 4.5 lbs at weigh-in on Monday yay! I remember somebody saying there was a good IP cake recipe somewhere. Can somebody point it out to me? My birthday is coming up in March and I'd like a really good cake to eat.
Kudos to you for avoiding that cake!! But I think you are WAY stronger than me, because that cake would have been calling my name all day, sigh.

Hopefully someone will share the cake recipe....I don't really cook, so I am not the person with the recipes!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #77  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I also realized why I get so agitated when people post things coaches say which are not on the protocol sheet. It upsets the plan I have buried in my mind and I start second guessing the decisions I had already firmly planted.
Now if I can just get the water part of it to be mindless for me.
Just remember that the only thing you can control is YOU, and you know what works for YOU. So just ignore anyone who is operating under a different plan than you are.

You know what you need to do to make yourself successful, and that is the ONLY plan you need to follow. No second guessing! Keep on keepin' on YOUR plan...you can do it!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #78  
Kitty

S/C/G: 200/181/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooselover View Post
Day 7 and I am feeling awesome (most of the time) I have an appointment with my pain Dr. this morning. I have bulging discs at the top and bottom of my spine. This is one of the reasons IP entered my life. I need to remove these extra pounds to help my back support me. Does anyone else out there have bulging disc problems? I have only had one spinal cortizone injection, but I do not want to have anymore. I am going today to reveiw an MRI I had last week. Wish me luck!!! Trying to avoid surgery and take care of this naturally with exercise and weigt loss.

Hope everyone has a great OP day I will be thinking of you!!!
I feel your pain mooselover. I have been dealing this for about two years now. At first I was told it was sciatica...and then sacroiliac...and then piriformis...and then fibromyalgia (after having an MRI and nothing showing up). I was offered injections and pills but refused them all...I didn't want to treat the symptoms - I wanted to treat the problem.

I didn't buy it and did a ton of research myself, along with trying different types of treatments (physio, sports therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic, massage therapy...you name it).

It was frustrating because I had injured myself from doing too much strenuous activity at the gym (and not stretching properly). I too, gained about 30 pounds from this pain. I was told that losing weight would help alleviate some of the pain, but also told that I cannot work out so I don't cause anymore stress on my joints or aggravate the pain. Well go figure...I need to lose weight, but no exercise That is what brought me here and made me choose IP.

I have actually just started seeing an Osteopath about a month ago and she said I have disc degeneration But the good news is, that after almost two years of chronic pain and searching for relief...I have found something that is finally working for me.

Don't give up hope! And definitely always get a second (or third, or fourth) opinion. We know our bodies better than anyone else, so if something doesn't make sense to you, question it.

I wish you luck and a speedy healing process
Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #79  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanym View Post
Kudos to you for avoiding that cake!! But I think you are WAY stronger than me, because that cake would have been calling my name all day, sigh.

Hopefully someone will share the cake recipe....I don't really cook, so I am not the person with the recipes!
Thurge and bethanym - I have this cake recipe in my collection of ones I've found scouring the recipe posts. I have made the muffins with the pancake mix and they were very good. I have not had the time for this cake. Plus, my coach has me really limiting restricted foods.

Faux German Chocolate Cake
One packet of the IP Chocolate pancake mix in the water as directed if you were making a muffin (see back of packet)
Add a splash of coconut extract
Spay a ramekin with olive oil or cooking spray(small oven safe ceramic dish)
cook in the microwave for 30-50 seconds
It will be soufflé like and will expand

Frosting
Add a dash or 3 of vanilla RTD to the Walden farm caramel sauce (enough to frost your cake), add a bit of coconut extract -- mix well
Pour/spoon the frosting on your cake
Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelama View Post

Down another 3 pounds! More than halfway to goal!!!
Exciting!!! I'm right behind you!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #81  
Started IP 1/18/12

S/C/G: 186.5/127/130

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurge View Post
Huge NSV today! It was one of my co-worker's birthday today they got her a cake and while I was out for lunch they left not one but TWO big pieces on my desk. I got the bowl that I had my soup in and neatly put them inside it to give to my roommates when I got home. Just because I can't have it doesn't mean they can't. LOL! I also dropped another 4.5 lbs at weigh-in on Monday yay! I remember somebody saying there was a good IP cake recipe somewhere. Can somebody point it out to me? My birthday is coming up in March and I'd like a really good cake to eat.
Congrats on the loss. That's exactly what I do with treats at work. Wrap it up and take it home for my son. Good for you!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 388/378.8/150

Height: 5' 3"

WI #1 was today and I lost 9.2 pounds and 5 inches from my waist for just one week! LOL So excited!

And I had a huge NSV today too... at my work they brought in tons of bagels from Panera Bread and I went in the kitchen where they were to refill my water bottle and I was like "oh, those smell good" and I walked out with a big smile on my face! Before... I would have had 2!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #83  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGal View Post
WI #1 was today and I lost 9.2 pounds and 5 inches from my waist for just one week! LOL So excited!

And I had a huge NSV today too... at my work they brought in tons of bagels from Panera Bread and I went in the kitchen where they were to refill my water bottle and I was like "oh, those smell good" and I walked out with a big smile on my face! Before... I would have had 2!
Congratulations on the great loss on you first week.

Wow. I can understand about bagels from Panera. We used to have a manager who would bring those or Dunkin Doughnuts in every Thursday. I wouldn't just eat two, I would take at least one more for later. I don't have problems passing on most anything now. All that weigh loss can be really motivating. Plus, my body chemistry must be much more stable. No cravings like before.

Keep it up. You're on the right track.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 240/229/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I am at the stage where I should be phasing off. But I have been very nervous about it as I was afraid my new found "will power" was actually ketosis. Then this morning I read a discussion between Oprah and Dr Oz in O magazine. It made so much sense to me I am going to copy exactly what he said here.

The average person eats up to 50% more food when distracted. Plus it takes about 30 minutes for your body to realize you are full, so if you are hungry when you sit down to eat, and you eat as quickly as most Americans do, you are just going to keep throwing down food before that feeling sets in.
The more decisions we make in a day, the more likely we are to make bad decisions-because deciding wears you down. You start making decisions in the morning, and by the middle of the afternoon,you're running on fumes. And as the day goes on, you start to crave more carbs especially women because women tend to make more of the day-to-day decisions in our lives than men.
So to the extent it is possible, don't make so many decisions. Do what you can to automate your life-and your food-during the day.
The number one reason Americans are heavy:the brain, very smartly, wants nutrition. But the average American is not eating nutrients; he or she is eating empty calories. So you finish that 2000 calories and the brain says; Keep going until you get nutrients.

This of course could be edited to say North Americans.

What really struck me is the part about decisions. I honestly have not had the struggle some people have with craving certain foods.I thought it was because I see this as my last kick at the can. I have been very overweight for many years(around 200 pounds) and have tried every diet ever devised.But when I think about it I had made some decisions at the very beginning that mean I didn't have to keep deciding things each day.
First was to eat exactly what was on the protocol sheet, no more and no less.
Then, no alcohol at all,also work is work not a continuous eating occasion, I do not eat anything at work that I don't bring in as part of my regular meals, no matter what carb fest is provided. And lastly when eating out my choices are a green salad with oil and vinegar with what ever low fat protein is available from grilled chicken breast or fish or low fat steak.

Once I had all that is place, whatever anyone else was eating was not on my radar.

When I read Dr Oz's comments it made me realize what I had put in place already without really realizing it.So i did not have any decisions to make it had become automatic and because I was getting necessary nutrients my body wasn't fighting me.
So this makes phasing off much less scary, I need to make some very conscious decisions about what I will do and them make them automatic.

Long spiel but something just clicked into place for me.
So hopefully I can keep on eating healthily when I am no longer in ketosis. with this plan all the decisions have been made for us so we don't have to keep second guessing everything.

I also realized why I get so agitated when people post things coaches say which are not on the protocol sheet. It upsets the plan I have buried in my mind and I start second guessing the decisions I had already firmly planted.
Now if I can just get the water part of it to be mindless for me.
Thank you for this. It was really helpful and puts some logic around what I'm going through.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #85  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie Mommy View Post
Wuv, I just need to comment on your new pics:
Holy heck!!! You are looking fabulous!!!
Thank you!....So I had my WI this morning but have been on the road all day so I am just now saying....I GAINED 1lb!.....didn't do anything different at all and GAINED.....SOOOOO even though you are 100% there is still a possibility of GAINING for some reason. Didn't let it get me down either, I know its my body changing again its been a while since it has done that. Went shopping in Mobile today....tried on some stuff.....I AM IN A SIZE 20 PANT!!!!!.......i THINK maybe in 9th grade that is what size I was.....lol...so even though I gained I didn't let it bother me, I just went on about my day because the scale IS ONLY A NUMBER!!.....I am losing SOMETHING if I loss 1inch!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 181/167.2/150

Height: 5'2"

I've been looking for alternatives to the IP packets that you can buy at any store and have found that the protein bars have like 30g of carbs!!

I've found a couple of choices like flax seed crackers, rice cakes and such that have around 1 or 2 carbs a piece (depending on the product), granted they are not at all great sources of protein since they only have like 1 - 5 g protein; so my question is this: are this substitutes ok to take as restricted items as long as you get enough protein from the shakes and your food? or are they just bad all together?!

some of them even have lower carbs than the ones on IP or protidiet.

thanx !!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaMP View Post
I've been looking for alternatives to the IP packets that you can buy at any store and have found that the protein bars have like 30g of carbs!!
thanx !!
I buy the Pure protein drinks from Costco, they have 30 grams of protein and 5 grams carbs. I also use the Detour bars as a "restrictive" with 15 grams of protein and 17 grams carbs (from Costco) which are very tasty.

Other than that I order ProtiDiet products from Proteinwell which has free delivery in Canada when you spend over $100.00
Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

So I fell off the wagon these last couple of days. Off work due to the flu and have continuously craved peanuts! I've been giving into my cravings with the thought that my body must be requiring something.....
I have avoided anything sweet and will hop back on the IP train tomorrow, hopefully I haven't screwed things up to badly.
Can't understand why I'm craving them ....
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaMP View Post

I've found a couple of choices like flax seed crackers, rice cakes and such that have around 1 or 2 carbs a piece (depending on the product), granted they are not at all great sources of protein since they only have like 1 - 5 g protein; so my question is this: are this substitutes OK to take as restricted items as long as you get enough protein from the shakes and your food? or are they just bad all together?!

some of them even have lower carbs than the ones on IP or protidiet.

thanx !!
You can get appropriate protein bars from protein well.ca at very good prices.I don't think the subs you mentioned would work because of the low protein.
You can also get Detour protein bars at costco which are not high carb.
Some people are able to find good substitute bars at Walmart and Superstores but I never could. I think walmart has a better selection in the US.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #90  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
Thurge and bethanym - I have this cake recipe in my collection of ones I've found scouring the recipe posts. I have made the muffins with the pancake mix and they were very good. I have not had the time for this cake. Plus, my coach has me really limiting restricted foods.
Thank you!!!
Closed Thread