Old 02-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #1  
Started IP 02/01/2012

S/C/G: 179.6/156.4/145

Height: 5'4

Default Red Meat Dilemma

Hey guys, soooo here it is...im anemic and hypothyroid first off before I even get into my story. I am on day 23 and have only lost 11.2 lbs.....I also changed bc this month and enjoyed a 12 day TOM!! (in which i usually gain approx 5 lbs usually but i just stayed the same on the diet thank god) Brutal......I have been eating alot of lean red meat trying to get my iron up, next stop for me is iron injections Do you think the red meat could have to do with my slow weight loss? or more so the BC change? I follow the program and havent cheated at all. Help? Thanks so much!!!
idealme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #2  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

I did great eating red meat and have seen others do the same. I do believe that some people tend to do better on lower fat meats, but it really depends on your body. 11 pounds in a little more than 3 weeks isn't bad weight loss.

Birth control pills can do all sorts of things to your body including slowing down weight loss. I've also heard many say on these boards that they aren't as effective, so be warned.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #3  
Started IP 02/01/2012

I guess my week 4 weigh in will be a true test....all 7 days no period.Also I think I may not be taking in the full amount of water I should maybe that effects the loss? Im going to try and have a perfect perfect week.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #4  
Ashley

S/C/G: 328.7/325.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealme View Post
Hey guys, soooo here it is...im anemic and hypothyroid first off before I even get into my story. I am on day 23 and have only lost 11.2 lbs.....I also changed bc this month and enjoyed a 12 day TOM!! (in which i usually gain approx 5 lbs usually but i just stayed the same on the diet thank god) Brutal......I have been eating alot of lean red meat trying to get my iron up, next stop for me is iron injections Do you think the red meat could have to do with my slow weight loss? or more so the BC change? I follow the program and havent cheated at all. Help? Thanks so much!!!
11.2 is pretty good considering you've had your TOM-mine made me loose lots less that week! Don't forget there are other things that can help you with your iron...

Red meat
Egg yolks
Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
Turkey or chicken giblets
Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
Liver
Artichokes

OF course we can't eat all these things...

I bet its your hormones messing with you! Mine have been all messed up too-my coach said our fat has estrogen in it-so we have more while losing anyway!

Keep going! You can do it!
legacy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

We eat red meat regularly. Don't worry, the weight I'll come off.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #6  
Started IP 1/10/12

S/C/G: 175.2/146.6/130

Height: 5'5"

I eat red meat too. I don't think I could eat chicken every night (I don't eat seafood so that limits my options). I'd say eat a good mix of whatever you can and that should be good. I know how it feels when your numbers seem lower than others, if you look at mine I'm six weigh-ins down and not double your weight loss. Does that mean I'm doing poorly? But I know in terms of any other diet I've ever tried to do, I'm losing way more. I have a hard time having patience with this all, I just want to be at my goal already. I know that is not how it works, on IP or on any diet. From an outsider looking in, it appears that you're doing fabulously. Don't be so hard on yourself. Realize it is a journey and the destination is worth getting to, even if it takes awhile to get there.

Last edited by tenniels; 02-24-2012 at 12:50 AM.
tenniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #7  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
I guess my week 4 weigh in will be a true test....all 7 days no period.Also I think I may not be taking in the full amount of water I should maybe that effects the loss? Im going to try and have a perfect perfect week.
Drinking the full amount of water will really help too. I'm an over achiever in that area.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniels View Post
I eat red meat too. I don't think I could eat chicken every night (I don't eat seafood so that limits my options). I'd say eat a good mix of whatever you can and that should be good. I know how it feels when your numbers seem lower than others, if you look at mine I'm six weigh-ins down and not double your weight loss. Does that mean I'm doing poorly? But I know in terms of any other diet I've ever tried to do, I'm losing way more. I have a hard time having patience with this all, I just want to be at my goal already. I know that is not how it works, on IP or on any diet. From an outsider looking in, it appears that you're doing fabulously. Don't be so hard on yourself. Realize it is a journey and the destination is worth getting to, even if it takes awhile to get there.
You are doing great. My loss of 3.2 last week was the highest I have had in 2012.

I know if I hadn't gotten back on ip those 13 pounds would have crept up to 20...
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #9  
Maintenance since 8/2/10

S/C/G: 173/130/130

Height: 4'11"

I think BC and TOM have a huge part in that, as I switched BC after week 5, and my loss slowed alot that week (or two).

Also, drinking 64oz is MINIMUM. If you drink more, it can help you lose more as well.
cajunladybug22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
I know how it feels when your numbers seem lower than others, if you look at mine I'm six weigh-ins down and not double your weight loss. Does that mean I'm doing poorly? But I know in terms of any other diet I've ever tried to do, I'm losing way more.
This is how I feel as well, I have a tendency to look at when people joined and how far they have gotten which can be totally misleading as they may have joined the site after starting IP. I started Sept 8 and took a break over xmas, I'm still not at my goal and see others who have lost this much in 2 months - yes it can be depressing. But take a good look at their starting weights and you may notice that they have a much longer journey than ours and it may take them a long time to loose those last 10-20 lbs which is where we are stuck at.

If you compare your stats to mine you are doing awesome! But I've recently switched to alternatives so now I don't cringe every time I buy food and I've also started working out, mainly walking on the treadmill and weight lifting. I figure if it is 1-2lb a week than at least my body has time to respond and we won't be stuck with loose stuff all around us.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway
thin4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #11  
Started IP 02/01/2012

Quote:

Aww thank you that makes be feel so much better I dont eat seafood either so in stuck with chicken and beef.....I was told my lower losses was cause of the red meat or the romaine lettuce.....but seems on here its more likley BC or TOM....and im a bad girl about water too...im going to be perect from now on

Thank you everybody your support is amazing!!! xo
Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I've noticed once I upped my water the scale really started moving again.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #13  
Started IP 02/01/2012

I am on it as of yesterday [I]ll let u guys know
Old 02-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #14  
Started IP 1/10/12

S/C/G: 175.2/146.6/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
You are doing great. My loss of 3.2 last week was the highest I have had in 2012.

I know if I hadn't gotten back on ip those 13 pounds would have crept up to 20...
That's a great loss, especially for someone who is so fit as you and with such a low body fat % already!! I'm having a frustrating week, since my weigh-in on Monday I believe I've lost 1 pound, so I've been beating myself up mentally because this will be a low loss week. I haven't cheated, but in my mind I feel like I gave up a bit, like saying "oh I'm not going to succeed, fatty for life". Today I woke up with the resolve to think more positively and have faith that it WILL come off, even if it seems slow. I have to listen to my own advice and realize the destination is worth it, even if its a slow journey. Thanks again for being such an inspiration and positive support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4me View Post
This is how I feel as well, I have a tendency to look at when people joined and how far they have gotten which can be totally misleading as they may have joined the site after starting IP. I started Sept 8 and took a break over xmas, I'm still not at my goal and see others who have lost this much in 2 months - yes it can be depressing. But take a good look at their starting weights and you may notice that they have a much longer journey than ours and it may take them a long time to loose those last 10-20 lbs which is where we are stuck at.

If you compare your stats to mine you are doing awesome! But I've recently switched to alternatives so now I don't cringe every time I buy food and I've also started working out, mainly walking on the treadmill and weight lifting. I figure if it is 1-2lb a week than at least my body has time to respond and we won't be stuck with loose stuff all around us.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway
You're right, I think your starting numbers do play into how much you'll be losing. It's hard not to compare yourself though. I'm looking into buying some alternatives from ProteinWell to supplement my IP products and make things a little bit cheaper. I think I put so much pressure on myself because of the cost too. I'm working out as well, doing kickboxing which is a good combination of cardio/strength building. I'm wondering if that has slowed me down here a bit. But you're right, if it's a slower loss rate the body has more time to adjust to the loss and stay firm with the muscle mass increase. You'er doing awesome and you WILL reach your goal

Quote:
Aww thank you that makes be feel so much better I dont eat seafood either so in stuck with chicken and beef.....I was told my lower losses was cause of the red meat or the romaine lettuce.....but seems on here its more likley BC or TOM....and im a bad girl about water too...im going to be perect from now on

Thank you everybody your support is amazing!!! xo
You're welcome! You're really doing awesome, don't let yourself get down about it. Your numbers are going in the right direction and that is the important thing I agree that its more likely TOM than the red meat or romaine lettuce. I eat a lot of romaine just because it has a little more nutritional content than iceberg. Last weekend I went out for dinner 3 times and had steak/veggies/salad each time and my loss ended up being good. Maybe I need to go out a little more, because this week has been crappy as far as loss hahaha. Anyways, keep your chin up we're all here for you and remember YOU ARE DOING GREAT

Last edited by tenniels; 02-24-2012 at 02:23 PM.
tenniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #15  
Started IP 02/01/2012

can i ask where you go out to? I noticed you are in canada as well Do you bring your own dressing?? Thxx!!