Old 02-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 192/165.2/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I didn't experience muscle soreness. Drinking too much water is just as bad as drinking too little...irregular cycles are the "norm" on this diet. Be well and I hope your labs give you some answers.
I didn't know too much water is just as bad as too little. Why is that? I always thought the more the better. How much is too much?
marci3230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #17  
TexasGirl

S/C/G: 173.7/140

Height: 5'7"

Yes, you can have serious side effects of drinking too much water. I worked with a guy that was drinking gallons of water each day (over a long period of time) and the doctor said it washed away vitamins and minerals that his body needed. This resulted in screwing up his electrolytes. Rare though to have someone drink too much water.
Yatese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 192/165.2/140

Thanks for explaining.
marci3230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #19  
Restart IP 10/19/2013

S/C/G: 195/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Thanks for the info! Even though I didn't start this thread I'm sure glad someone did! I have a central nervous disease and numbness, tingling and blurred vision are common issues I face daily and it's good to know that ketosis could also cause them (or in my case make them worse) which means I may feel that much better when I'm out of it...just a chance but worth holding on to! TY!
The info I post for tingling and blurred vision was from wikipedia on signs of low biotin. This link indicates that numbness and tingling can also result from biotin deficiency. I'm just reposting info I've found on net, which I hope doesn't get misconstrued in the process. Thanks!
http://biotinsupplement.net/
sekc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #20  

After working myself off of Ideal Protein for the past 3 days, my muscle soreness is almost completely gone. The head of our region's program spoke with the IP scientists and they haven't dealt with my type of symptom before -- in fact, they hadn't heard of it. I guess it was just my body's reaction to the program. I'm so thankful that I have my life back! No more painful days wasted in the bed! I feel great! Thanks to everyone who thought about me.
TheDisappearingLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #21  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisappearingLady View Post
After working myself off of Ideal Protein for the past 3 days, my muscle soreness is almost completely gone. The head of our region's program spoke with the IP scientists and they haven't dealt with my type of symptom before -- in fact, they hadn't heard of it. I guess it was just my body's reaction to the program. I'm so thankful that I have my life back! No more painful days wasted in the bed! I feel great! Thanks to everyone who thought about me.
Wow, that's great to hear. Lo lo carb diets like this aren't for everyone. Some people have some kind of reaction to ketosis and need a little more carbs. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

You know I know I should probably not be suggesting other diets but after starting this one I learned about wheat belly and the paleo diet. They seem to work for people. They look like things I would consider and probably consider after IP. I am looking for new ways of eating and look to programs like that post diet to maintain. Rest. Feel better.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 141.8/128.4/127

Height: 5'5"

So glad you're feeling better!
momof3cuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 266/218/150

Height: 5'8"

I have been having this same issue, especially soreness/tingling in my arms/shoulders. I think I may try adding Biotin to my supplements and see what happens.
mtnsun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 210.4/198.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marci3230 View Post
I didn't know too much water is just as bad as too little. Why is that? I always thought the more the better. How much is too much?
I do not know how much is too much water but I do know there is Smart Water that has electrolytes. Would that help?
Kitefliersandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 262/258/165

Height: 5 ft 4in

Last time when I was OP, I have some leg soreness and it was my magnesium a little low. I started drinking a warm cup of calm everynight and it went away. ( Calm is a magnesium based drink) I love the stuff.
Maddymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #26  
Fluffy, Not Fat

S/C/G: 180

I'm going into Week 5 and don't have the muscle soreness, but my husband is also on IP and has severe muscle cramps, especially in his feet (maybe related to gout?) I got the very strange menstrual cycle... my last cycle lasted almost 2 weeks! My doc said that was normal on this diet, but does cause me to wonder if this is 100% safe. I will try the advice I've read in this forum to see if the Biotin and other supplements help.
Bunny Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 205.6/145.2/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi Bunny Gal, I think that it is 100% safe but it helps to educate yourself by reading and researching. I personally think this approach is very similar to how our ancestors must have eaten so it has to be far more healthy than the poor choices of foods we were putting into our systems. The wonky cycle is due to the hormones that are stored in your fat. I personally am thankful to be letting go of the fat and the stuff that it has stored in it. I think there is more danger to keeping the stuff that my fat has stored in it than being on this program for a short period of time. You should talk with your coach...almost sounds like your husband needs more magnesium.
Meadow Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #28  
Fluffy, Not Fat

S/C/G: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow Wheeler View Post
Hi Bunny Gal, I think that it is 100% safe but it helps to educate yourself by reading and researching. I personally think this approach is very similar to how our ancestors must have eaten so it has to be far more healthy than the poor choices of foods we were putting into our systems. The wonky cycle is due to the hormones that are stored in your fat. I personally am thankful to be letting go of the fat and the stuff that it has stored in it. I think there is more danger to keeping the stuff that my fat has stored in it than being on this program for a short period of time. You should talk with your coach...almost sounds like your husband needs more magnesium.
Thanks for the advice, Meadow Wheeler! And wow, you look great! I do agree that all that nasty fat is way more dangerous to the body than the "wonky" stuff that happens on this diet (love that word, by the way... can I steal it? ) Will tell my hubby about the magnesium too. Thx!
Bunny Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #29  
- 15lbs and counting!

S/C/G: 183.6/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

I'm so glad you posted this as my arms have been really sore lately too and I wasn't sure what was up. Congrats not eh 16 lbs by the way. That is AMAZING!
sangria12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #30  

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I was thankful to come across it. I started IP Phase 1 three weeks ago. On about the 5th day I started having joint pain and then muscle pains. It sort of moved around my whole body--knees, calves, hands, arms, elbows, etc. I did not have any of this previously. The first week my coach said take more potassium. I did, but no changes. Second week, took more potassium. No change. This third week, it seemed like there was even more pain. My coach said he doesn't think it is related to the diet, yet I think it is, since it is a date coincidence with having started the diet. He said he's been delivering the diet for 10 years and has not seen this. That made me feel even worse. I was hoping he'd say yes, this can happen as your body goes through the transition, etc. I know that many people get rid of pain on this diet, yet I am having the opposite effect. I had bloodwork and annual physical 5 months ago and all was fine. I am not cheating on the diet. I decided to move on to P2 and taper off the diet properly. Like TheDisappearingLady, I wonder if there is something on this diet that just doesn't agree with me. Hoping things will settle down as I taper off.
McMare is offline   Reply With Quote