Old 02-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineonline View Post
How long have you been on IP? My first time on it I noticed a HUGE increase in energy and no more afternoon slumps...in fact I found it hard to sleep some nites
Going on week 4 right now. I am losing weight but the inches seem to be hanging on, I haven't dropped a pant size yet and my fat pants are a little looser but still tight. I think the energy problem is not enough calories eaten. I have a pretty physical job, I am a Carpenter, and my age being 51, I think I need more calories. My coach is never in when I have my WI so not really sure what to do about that yet. I might have to start eating more protein at lunch??? I was also told NO EXERCISE so I haven't been doing that so being a little more sedated than usual could be the culprit too
KarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMommy View Post
Okay, so I keep coming back to this thread and I think there is a huge misconception about IP. You are NOT on packaged foods your entire life to keep the weight off. That's what the phases are all about. While phase 1 is by far the strictest of any diet I've ever been on (and yes I've done them all, including Adkins) it's strict for a reason. The packages are necessary because in them you're getting highly digestible protein isolates that your body is able to use most of (80%-90% is the number that comes to mind, but don't quote me, I might be off), whereas if you're eating a steak your body can only use about 20% of the protein IIRC. That's why we're able to eat so few calories on IP and remain satisfied as well as protect our lean muscle mass, because our body can access so much more of the protein we're consuming. By the time you're on phase 4 you're on all whole natural foods, including fruits, grains, dairy, fats, everything you miss so much about food now.

I know there is a perception that eating out of a package is not healthy and whole foods are better which I agree with to a point. However; I look at myself just a few months ago when I was on an all whole foods, organic, clean eating diet and not losing an ounce. I was NOT healthier being as obese as I was regardless of the diet I was eating.

Regarding the constipation issue that so many of you have mentioned, the other thing we have to remember on this diet is that we are now able to digest and use most of the food that we consume. Accordingly there is no longer nearly as much waste as there was before, just because you've gone from daily to every 2-4 days doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong. It might be and considering the low amount of fiber wouldn't be unusual, but it's also normal to change. I generally 'go' every 3 days or so, but everything seems normal, so that's just what my body has adjusted to.

I hope this helps other people reading this who might be swayed away from IP because of some of these posts. IMO it's an amazing diet, I have never gotten the results I am getting now from any other diet, and I feel wonderful and have more energy than I ever have.
I know that you are not on packaged food your entire life, but depending on how much weight you have to lose, you could be on packaged food for quite a long time. I am on this diet because I was having trouble getting back on track with the Atkins way of eating. IP is so much easier to get started on in my opinion. The OP was asking the differences between Atkins and IP and I was letting her know what the differences were that I see. IMHO I believe that the Atkins way of eating is much healthier and when I think I have my eating under control, I will go back to Atkins. I am going on week 4 of the IP diet right now and was stating what I am going through for the comparison.
I am losing weight, 10 lbs now, but the inches are not coming off like they should so that makes me think I am losing muscle instead. That is why I think my energy is lower and get fatigued quickly. My skin is very dry and my hair has lost it's shine and feels dry, I have constipation issues (yes I know the difference between constipation and just not going for a few days). My coach is never in for my WI so I can not discuss this with her. I am kinda surprised that my body is changing so fast??

As for going on Phase 4, Atkins and IP both take you to the whole natural foods, including fruits, grains, dairy, fats. I am pretty sure most diets are heading this way now. The reason people gain their weight back, as I have, is because they veer away from these foods and go back to the way they were eating. It is not the diets fault, it is the peoples fault, as it was my fault. I kept the weight off when I was following the Atkins way of eating. I kept it off for over 5 years. I was stupid and thought I would be able to go back to eating all the pie and chips and junk that I wanted and I gained the weight back. That is what brought me to IP. I hope that I can find out why IP is doing this to my body, that is why I am here in the forums. My coach isn't available.

Thank you for your input. I do love to read and learn.
KarinF is offline   Reply With Quote