3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   The Maintainers. Vol. 4 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/252221-maintainers-vol-4-a.html)

Maile 03-25-2012 08:30 AM

Lee. That is great that you are in Phase 4...plus wearing size 6..Way to go!
Thanks for updating us on Phase 4 with nutritional tips. Hey if you are going to have a free day..I like your idea of either eating healthy or eating something you really want.! Enjoy your day!

Pixl. A long time ago you said that you now only wear and buy clothes that you really like! I am doing the same. Is that Health Smart Oatmeal high or low carbs? I eat the Health smart cinnamon cereal.

I am off to Canada today..hope the border is nice and empty!

Pxlkitty4 03-25-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maile (Post 4266555)
Pixl. A long time ago you said that you now only wear and buy clothes that you really like! I am doing the same. Is that Health Smart Oatmeal high or low carbs? I eat the Health smart cinnamon cereal.

I am off to Canada today..hope the border is nice and empty!

Have fun in Canada. The health smart oatmeal only has 6 carbs, so I count it as a nonrestricted.

matolmama 03-25-2012 07:44 PM

i have a question for you that have been in maint.. i would like to get away from the artificial sweetners, any thoughts from anyone out there as far as agave nectar, coconut palm sugar, or any of the other natural sweetners. thank you all in advance. lise

Chloe222 03-25-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linden (Post 4263231)
I do hope I'm in your league (and am awfully sorry about the rotten weather). I've been in maintenance almost 3 weeks and stayed the same weight day in day out. So I'm really not complaining. Just wishful thinking. I'm not on the computer much since I cracked my spine -- just reading at eye level; not typing. But I truly appreciate the posts.

I got this in the mail this morning because I subscribe to the blog -- which I think is excellent. It's called My New Roots. (Lots of puns there). Anyway, here's the very best information about food combining I've ever seen, and by far the simple-ist. http://mynewroots.blogspot.de/. Hope it's helpful and interesting. Cheers.

This is an amazing blog. Thanks for sharing this.
Chloe

bigpassport 03-26-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matolmama (Post 4267111)
i have a question for you that have been in maint.. i would like to get away from the artificial sweetners, any thoughts from anyone out there as far as agave nectar, coconut palm sugar, or any of the other natural sweetners. thank you all in advance. lise

I would also like to get away from artificial sweeteners, but I haven't made much progress. If your goal is to keep low-carb, then options are stevia, sucanat, erythritol and xylitol. I beleive all of these are derived from natural sources, but obviously go through processing which makes them seem not so natural. If your goal is lower glycemic sweetener, then maybe agave nectar. I don't know anything about coconut palm sugar. I've seen quite a few recipes that use medjool dates. The other hitch is what you are using the artificial sweetener for, e.g. baking, drinks, sauces, etc. Different sweeteners work better or worse depending on what they are being used for. Unfortunately, I think the answer for me is going to be a combination of different sweeteners depending on the use OR trying to get away from trying to mimic sugar altogether and be satisfied with clean(er) eating OR just limit real sugar to one day a week and eat clean the rest of the week. Good luck with your search, I'd love to hear your thoughts and conclusions.

ETA: List of 5 clean and natural sweeteners. http://cleaneatingmag.com/How-To/Art...weeteners.aspx

cajunladybug22 03-26-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capricious (Post 4262946)
Cajun- How is your running program? Are you getting less sore from it? And being back in Phase 4 must be nice...

Thanks for checking up! My running program has been...inconsistent. The 5K is next weekend, so it'll be interesting. :) But the once per week that I have been running hasn't been too bad. I'm still doing my step interval class twice a week, and my full step plus weights once per week, so I'm feeling pretty good physically.

Sewmam 03-26-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpassport (Post 4267334)
I would also like to get away from artificial sweeteners, but I haven't made much progress. If your goal is to keep low-carb, then options are stevia, sucanat, erythritol and xylitol. I beleive all of these are derived from natural sources, but obviously go through processing which makes them seem not so natural. If your goal is lower glycemic sweetener, then maybe agave nectar. I don't know anything about coconut palm sugar. I've seen quite a few recipes that use medjool dates. The other hitch is what you are using the artificial sweetener for, e.g. baking, drinks, sauces, etc. Different sweeteners work better or worse depending on what they are being used for. Unfortunately, I think the answer for me is going to be a combination of different sweeteners depending on the use OR trying to get away from trying to mimic sugar altogether and be satisfied with clean(er) eating OR just limit real sugar to one day a week and eat clean the rest of the week. Good luck with your search, I'd love to hear your thoughts and conclusions.

ETA: List of 5 clean and natural sweeteners. http://cleaneatingmag.com/How-To/Art...weeteners.aspx

Thanks for the info - I'm in the same boat. Before the diet, I used agave for everyday use, and just bought some this weekend, now that I'm starting Phase4 today. I also started using stevia in the past couple of months on Phase1, as it has been reported to help stabilize blood sugar.

MAINTAINisGoal 03-26-2012 04:09 PM

First Nashua order

Leaving for Maui in 2 days... ordered from Nashua with the plan of "close to maintaining" while on vacation. Traveled 2 of the last 3 weekends and gained both times so not sure how a week in paradise will go. Will follow vacation with strict P1... another reason for Nashua order.

Will share my order but since I just received it yesterday I don't have reviews on all...

HealthSmart Fruit Drink - Pineapple Orange (7/Box)... plan on making smoothies w/ vanilla pudding packet and fresh spinach for lunches
Proti-Thin Protein Bar - Caramel Nut (7/Box)... same pkg as IP
[U]Proti-Thin Protein Bar [/U]- Vanilla Peanut (7/Box)... same pkg as IP
ProtiDiet Liquid Concentrate - Peach Mango (7/Box)... plan on making smoothies w/ vanilla pudding packet and fresh spinach for lunches
ProtiDiet Oatmeal - Maple Brown Sugar (7/Box)... unrestricted and pretty tasty
ProtiDiet Omelette - Bacon & Cheese (7/Box)... added 2 egg whites and chipolte smoked bacon sea salt... delicious!
ProtiDiet Pancakes - Plain (7/Box)... unrestricted
ProtiDiet Pudding - Vanilla (7/Box)... plan on added to drinks above to make smoothies
Weight Loss Systems Pudding & Shake - Dark Cocoa Cream (7/Box)... mixed with one packet of below banana pudding which equals 2 servings... tastes like Chocolate Covered Banana Cream Pie
Weight Loss Systems Pudding - Banana Delight (7/Box)

Sewmam 03-27-2012 12:36 AM

Hello maintainers! Okay, my question is, I see the recipe thread and the maintainer threads, but is there one place where I can find recipes for Phase 4 dinners? It is overwhelming to sift through all the posts and just find the recipes.

I started Phase 4 today, though by the time I got home from the clinic and errands I was beyond tired and just stuck with my typical Phase 1 dinner. But tomorrow I'm thinking I could make chili. The protein would be the beef, the vegees I'd use are tomatoes, onions, peppers and kidney beans. Do the beans count as the complex carbs, so I'd be sure to get 7 oz of them in (presuming the cooked volume), or would I need to add something else? I can make it with no oil and would miss the cheese on top, but I'll live with it. At least I know how to make it.

patns 03-27-2012 11:07 AM

Warning: long post as I am trying to work this stage out in my mind. I don't have a coach. I started with a very good coach in August but once school started I could not afford the time of the three hour round trip to the clinic and switched to alternatives.

We cannot use Idealtogo in Canada. The alternative products have worked just as well.

Not sure what phase I am on anymore. I had been on phase 1 since August. I have come down to 129 from 161. I am 64 and most of my adult life at a few pounds over 200 at 5'1".

At age 55 a dietitian told me to give up wheat and dairy and I got down to 160 and stayed there for 10 years. Dairy gives me sinus infections.

I have basically been on phase 2 for the past two months.

This time of year is hectic in my job as it involves applying for government funding for LD and special needs students and the time line is tied to govenment timetables.

I have been at 129 for the past two months. This still has me at 30% fat and size 10 pants. I have lost weight on my bust and hips and waist. I have lost inches on my belly but belly and midriff is still bigger than bust. That is not great for clothes fitting.

But on the plus side I am amazed at how quickly I am moving around without even realizing I have begun to move. Having spent most of my life drained of energy because of wheat and dairy that is a huge plus for me.
I would really like to get to 125 to give me some leeway but seem to have settled at 129.

I am working at home this week as it is March break
in the schools so I thought this is the best time to go into phase 3.

I was nervous about this because I had read several people on here who came back and said they had started gaining with phase 3 and continued to do so.

patns 03-27-2012 11:27 AM

Continuing my long post:

I started phase 3 on Saturday. I carefully measured everything out for the breakfast to match the numbers posted some where on here.

I used goat yogurt for the dairy. I had to limit it to half a cup because the only brands I could find at the health food store were all high in sugar.

I used Ezekiel bread for the grains and had an apple. Loved this breakfast and did it for Saturday and Sunday. I especially loved the digestive effects of the apple.

On Monday morning I was up a pound and a half. This set off five star alarm bells in my head because I was up over 130 again.

So I went right back on phase 2 and am down a pound this morning.
I had maintained a 40 pound loss for 10 years by eliminating grains and dairy so I really don't want to add them back now and go into the rapid regaining and sinus infections they have caused all my life.

So I guess my pancreas will not be reawakened.

It think I will go right into maintenance after another bit of time on phase 2. I want to add legumes back and this will be my biggest change for my daily eating.

I also need to add some exercise when time and weather allows it.
I definately cannot have flat out cheat days.

I will save special treat times for very special occassions.

Anyway still thinking through where I go from here. If anyone has stayed with me this long please give me any thoughts you have on skipping phase3.

Since my initial weight loss my breakfast has usually been a protein shake as this suits my long early morning commute.

Pat

Momto2cs 03-27-2012 11:59 AM

I would stay away from grains and dairy if you are clearly intolerant. They probably also make you retain water.
I would consider adding in more high carb vegetables, nuts and berries. they will also cause insulin to be released.

Some grains seem to be better tolerated than wheat. Maybe quinoa, or brown rice? Wheat belly has some good commentary on grains in general.

Let us know how you do! I never really reintroduced any fruit or grains, and I feel great!

geminezmarie 03-27-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pauley (Post 4260393)
Sounds like you guys are doing great with the scale. I think I'm getting better. I do still like to weight the morning after a good food day, just in case the news is good! not every day though, that's for sure.

The exercise is getting addicting and as the working mother, I'm not finding enough time to do it. I found myself sneaking a 4 mile run on Sunday. I told my husband I was going grocery shopping (which I did) and sneaked a run in before I went and didn't tell him. Not sure why I did it... I think it might be my own guilt for taking the time for myself. At least I'm not sneaking candy bars like before!

I really like that signature -- quit rewarding yourself with food, you are not a dog. That is revolutionary to me. Nice.

JellyMae87 03-27-2012 01:35 PM

Hey Ladies... I just wanted to check in with you all... I made the derby league... So I am trying to pray and hope that my losses will start speeding up! but I think that maybe I am gaining alot more muscle?? any Suggestions?

Momto2cs 03-27-2012 02:56 PM

For me I found upping my fat and adding a restricted, which I never used to have, help keep weight coming off. My clinic has started offering mct oil to intense exercises. I have only been doing it for a few days, so I can't comment. You might want to check into this too.