Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 165/160/130

Height: 5'6"

Hi! Does anyone know if we can use Molly McButter?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #62  
Started IP 1/10/12

S/C/G: 175.2/146.6/130

Height: 5'5"

Navymom - Thanks for the paper towel analogy, something I need to keep in mind!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 256/256/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMommy View Post
Paper Towel Theory by Bob White
I LOVE THIS! This puts it into prospective a lot better. Thanks NavyMommy
Old 01-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #64  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:

Let's assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 84 paper towels on it (one for each day of the challenge). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your before/ picture).

The other one represents you (I'll call your paper towel you "Ed"). The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed. For sake of argument, let's say that Ed wants to lose 21 pounds of fat, so (84/21) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost. Let's also assume that Ed loses his fat equally during each day of the challenge.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll ("Big Al") for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can't be working for me!

But, being a good Ed, you continue to follow Body-for-LIFE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Al, and still notice very little difference. That stinkin' Bill Phillips MUST be a liar!

But Ed is determined! He works hard! Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Al again. Holy Myoplex! Ed is skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

By the end of the 12-week Body-for-LIFE program, Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Ed is happy. We are happy. Big Al - well he's not so happy.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around,that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - your perception is just different! And you'll never see the inside, if you aren't patient while the outside is coming off! - Bob White
Thanks for posting that. I remember the first time I read it I hadn't lost that much at that point. I think the line about "OK, not skinny, but less huge" is my situation. I still would like to loose over 70 pounds even though I have lost 55. That's still more than half way. So while I might feel SO much thinner, the rest of the world still sees someone who needs to loose a lot of weight. Also as someone who posted earlier, people may not feel totally comfortable commenting on your weight loss because either A) they don't know how you will feel about a comment on your weight, or B) is there a health reason why you are loosing weight?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #65  
Started IP Jan 2, 2011

S/C/G: 239/ticker/170

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caja5152 View Post
Hi! Does anyone know if we can use Molly McButter?
I asked this before and got a yes. I was wondering about the Becel butter spray. It's 0 0 0 also.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenboss View Post
So - I am new to ideal protein - 2 wks in and feel great. Had a bad day last week after playing volleyball and curling - felt a bit weak - had a pkg snack and felt much better. Last week a good friend (who is 120lbs and fit) organized a boot camp once a week and convinced me to sign up - YIKES!! I am getting alot of grief from a couple of friends on the program saying that it is too much activity for the amount of calories we consume - I do get that - but can I not have my restricted snack right before class - that should have enough carbs to get me through the 1 hour class. Any advice would be helpful!!
I do bootcamp most days with no weakness, etc. I have been on phase one (the second time round) for 3 weeks. Darn last 10 pounds!

If you are already active it should be fine.

You should add a packet, and know that your losses may slow if you start building muscle.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

You know what? I hate winter. I just hate it. It makes me tired and crabby and all I want to do is hibernate. I want to win the lottery so I can retire and go south every winter. I am just a crank today. Just sayin'.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamahaffey View Post
I started IP on 1/8/12. I have lost 10.6 pounds and 10 inches. I, much like many of you, have tried just about every thing (twice). IP is the one thing that is working for me. I feel better about myself and have absolutley no desire to cheat. I set my food out for the day and always have veggies and lettuce on hand.

I recently had a Christmas party to attend with my husand and I must say I was very stressed out about what I was going to eat. I made it. I had lettuce (dry) with broccoli (steamed) and chicken breast. I avoided the dessert table of chocolate waterfalls, fresh fruit, mini cheesecakes, etc.

It is hard when you first start but knowing this works and how good I feel.....it is so worth it. I am worth it! All of us are worth it!
Way to go!!! Keep up the great work! I began 11/11/11 and am down 38 pounds...it gets easier...but there are some issues (like cravings at TOM!)...other than that...it does work and it's great! WOO HOO!!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:

Let's assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 84 paper towels on it (one for each day of the challenge). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your before/ picture).

The other one represents you (I'll call your paper towel you "Ed"). The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed. For sake of argument, let's say that Ed wants to lose 21 pounds of fat, so (84/21) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost. Let's also assume that Ed loses his fat equally during each day of the challenge.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll ("Big Al") for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can't be working for me!

But, being a good Ed, you continue to follow Body-for-LIFE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Al, and still notice very little difference. That stinkin' Bill Phillips MUST be a liar!

But Ed is determined! He works hard! Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Al again. Holy Myoplex! Ed is skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

By the end of the 12-week Body-for-LIFE program, Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Ed is happy. We are happy. Big Al - well he's not so happy.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around,that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - your perception is just different! And you'll never see the inside, if you aren't patient while the outside is coming off! - Bob White
I absolutely LOVE this word picture! Fun to envision my papertowel roll!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

You know what? I hate winter. I just hate it. It makes me tired and crabby and all I want to do is hibernate. I want to win the lottery so I can retire and go south every winter. I am just a crank today. Just sayin'. And Mondays stink too.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Thanks NavyMommy for the paper towel story. Thanks to everyone else for the encouraging words.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #72  
Started IP 9/12/2011

S/C/G: 288/184/150

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksmy View Post
Happy Monday!
First day on the program. Loved my morning shake!
Last night it take a little longer to prepare my lunch for today, BUT it made me stop and think about all the crap I have been putting into my body.
I think one of the hardest things for me is giving up my diet pepsi!
Hoping everyone has a great day!
Just take it one day at a time!!! I drank ALOT of diet soda every day before IP and it's still hard to believe I have not had a single sip in 4 months now! I still miss it sometimes, but for the most part I don't even think about it anymore! Good luck, you will do great!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #73  
started IP 01/03/2012

S/C/G: 238/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood View Post
This may be a tad drastic for some, but here it is. To help get past all the tempting foods at social gatherings I think these words to myself "That is death". Because for me, it is death.

When I started this program, my blood sugar was very high, diabetic actually, my cholesterol was 289, triglycerides (fat in the blood) were dangerously high and I weighed 213 pounds. I had been in the ER 3 different times with blood pressure so high they thought I would have a stroke. I was on blood pressure meds, 2 different diabetes meds, and thyroid meds. In all I was taking 8 different prescriptions for various issues - all of which I caused by the way I lived and what I ate. It wasn't genetics. My high blood sugar was not because I wasn't on the 'right' medication. Not one doctor ASKED me what I ate. They just handed me a prescription and said we need to check you in 3 months. As a matter of fact, when I saw my doc in Sept, he told me he wasn't hopeful for me. WHAT?! Then why didn't you SAY SOMETHING!?

When I finally realized what would happen to me if I didn't change, there was NO turning back. No snide comments from people about what I was doing would change my mind. I had slammed the door shut on any negative or "helpful" people. I am not looking back. I am doing this for me. I have seen the places that house the elderly and sick. I will not be at their mercy. I have to be strong, healthy and of sound mind. That is why I am doing this program. So, everyone else can think what they want, say what they want, I will not stop.

I am in tears as I type this for all of you and your struggles with social events, family and friends giving their opinions about what you are doing. This shouldn't be a struggle. It should be joyous! You are taking your life back. You will be there for your children and loved ones longer. You will not be a burden. You will not be at the mercy of a 'health care' system that has nothing to do with health.

So, this really is that serious. It is about death. I was killing myself. When someone offers me something while I am out, I smile and say 'No, thank you'. All the while I think "That equals death for me, and I choose to LIVE!"

Here are the numbers that PROVE this program works. It also proves that if you stop eating crap, your body will respond and do amazing things!

Blood Sugar July/Diabetic Dec/NORMAL

Cholesterol July/279 Dec/169

Triglycerides July/243 Dec/61

Weight July/213 Dec/178 (168 TODAY!)

I am off all diabetes and blood pressure meds - and that only took 2 weeks into the program to accomplish! The doc was amazed at my progress. But, I think I need to find a new doc. He never asked what I was doing or how I was doing it. He just said, "whatever you're doing is working, so keep at it." It proved to me that I am in control of my health, not him. It's my responsibility. I am responsible for what I put in my mouth. It's not McDonald's, it's not marketing. It's me.

Much love to you all!
I am so happy for you and thank you thank you thank you for that post. It was just what I needed to read today because I have been fighting the urge to cheat for the past week and it is so difficult! I may print out your post and carry it with me at all times for the strength I need. God bless!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #74  
Ashley

S/C/G: 328.7/325.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Default getting rid of clothes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzitsmiranda View Post
I'm confused on what I should do about clothes. I JUST was able to fit into 22's and I have a lot of 24's & 26's laying around or in my closet. Should I go ahead and toss them? Or wait? I don't really want to buy new pants RIGHT now when i"m just now sizing down. Should I just get rid of most of them? I have some pants that have drawstrings in them that I just got a few weeks ago that I may keep for "variety" because they'll fit longer. What do you think?
I was in 24-26-like you when I started a couple months ago-now my 22's are getting too big! I still don't fit in the one pair of 20 jeans I have-but getting closer everyday!

I debated whether or not to get rid of clothes-so I found someone who needs them-a friend who is losing and moving into those sizes-I then had an excuse to get rid of them and have not looked back! I love being free of my fat clothes-can't wait to get rid of the 22's next!

Take them to goodwill-or sell them on craigslist or ebay! You might make enough to pay for another week of IP!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 256/256/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survalia View Post
You know what? I hate winter. I just hate it. It makes me tired and crabby and all I want to do is hibernate. I want to win the lottery so I can retire and go south every winter. I am just a crank today. Just sayin'.
I also despise winter. I started to get crabby as soon as I pulled out of the driveway. I think it is worse because we have not had a normal winter in SD and now it is here full force. I was so frustrated this weekend cause the kids were out playing and the snow and came in with their nasty wet clothing and it was wall to wall wet mess in my laundry room. Not to mention they lost about 3 pair of gloves "somewhere" along the way while sledding. Where about in SD are you? I am in the Sioux Falls area.
Closed Thread