3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #181
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

WHY IS DIET SODA DISCOURAGED DURING IDEAL PROTEIN DIET?
Very interesting insights from the "Ideal Protein Nova Blog". There is a science behind why this diet works and the things you can do to take best advantage of it.

All diet drinks (i.e. sugar-free, carb-free) are NOT recommended on the diet. The problem that can arise is imbalances in acid/base regulation. The protocol is very alkaline and this is why we do not see complications common to other "protein type diets." Some diet drinks (Crystal Light for example) are mixed with water and these are acceptable. Many others (flavored Aqua-fina, Dasani, etc.) contain a lot of phosphoric acid. This is a very strong acid and will play havoc with the body's bicarbonate buffering system. This goes for diet soda's too, particularly the brown ones.

Flavored seltzers are usually OK, just read the label and make sure it is carb-free and contains no phosphoric acid. This protocol provides so many health benefits besides weight loss, it would be a shame to compromise some of the benefits by consuming these products. Also- remember, an extra cup of water for every coffee you drink!

So what CAN you drink? Drink unsweetened Herbal Tea. Add 2 bags to a large pitcher (1.5 liter) or container and seep for about 10 minutes. Use a funnel to pour into an empty 1.5 liter plastic soda bottle. I usually make 3-4 batches in one night of different flavours, so there is a wide variety of choice throughout the week. It also helps you crave drinking more.

‎1. "Aspartame" is the sweetener which Ideal Protein recommends cutting out from your other foods. The reason why is that your body can react to it like sugar, spiking your insulin. (at a certain amount.) So Crystal Light (made with nutri sweet) is not recommended. There is something in the US/Canada called MIO which you add to water which is recommended.
2. Cascade Ice wont work because there are fruit juices in it (Pear Juice concentrate).
‎3. Yes, you can add Stevia, Splenda, Truvia or other approved sweeteners to your tea. However, note that the sweeteners do have carbs in them and are not "free". Adding one packet (like a coffee sweetener size) to 1.5 liters of iced herbal tea is usually enough to sweeten it without worry. However, i drink the iced herbal teas with no sweetener and dont miss it.
‎4. Carbonation is not the problem... you can have sparkling water. However, some find that cutting out all carbonation helps with bloating/gas.

my YouTube videos, subscribe and you will be alerted when I post new ones
http://www.youtube.com/user/wuv2bloved?feature=guide
My continued Weight loss Journey https://www.facebook.com/CornerYourI...ghtLossJourney
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #182

NavyMommy, Thanks, I will not be drinking any sodas as I would rather get this weight off then have a sip of something that will only slow me down!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #183

S/C/G: 209/157/157

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamoose View Post
Hello everyone! Today is day 6 and I am doing great! I do have some questions though, someone mentioned ginger ale, so is diet ginger ale ok and will not knock us out of Ketoses? My couch said soda water was ok but the sheet say NO SODA, please give me some insight! Also I bought Ketone strips and took my first test this morning and it came out as TRACE of ketones, so maybe I just had more carbs to get out of my system? Or...? Thank you all so much for your encouragement!
My doctor/coach has me using them daily now (the first several weeks) to see where I'm at in Ketosis. After the 4th day (when I started using them) the sticks showed moderate to slightly above moderate. Now that I'm going into my 5th week, and havent cheated, he said I should start moving to "trace" and "small". At that point ,according to Dr, your body is actually utilizing the fat (iinstead of peeing it all out)as an energy source and I will feel like I have tons of energy. Thursday I noticed the stick was right around trace & small and he's right!

WI#1 7.4, WI#2 3.2, WI#3 3.4, WI#4 2.4 WI#5 3.0 WI#6 3.0 WI#7 2.6 WI#8 1.4 WI#9 4.0 WI#10 1.2 WI#11 1.4 WI#12 3.2 WI#13 3.0 WI#14 0.0
WI#15 1.6 WI#16 2.8 WI#17 2.0
Old 01-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamoose View Post
Thanks Wuv! Was thinking the same thing but just needed to hear it. Also I grew up in West Point MS, right by Columbus and Starkville so I'm sorta from your kneck of the woods
My son goes to MSU!!!....sometimes that is all you need is validation

My continued Weight loss Journey https://www.facebook.com/CornerYourI...ghtLossJourney
Old 01-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #185

S/C/G: 184.6/169/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survalia View Post
So far this weekend I have eaten a big blueberry pancake with syrup, mashed "potatoes" with chicken "gravy", beef roast with mushrooms, chocolate "ice cream" and this morning, "apple" cinnamon "muffins". All so YUMMY, I must have cheated, right? WRONG. Completely OP! I love weekends when I have more time to play with the recipes. And, my NSV lately is yanking up my almost-falling-off pajama pants. It would be easy enough to take them in a bit, but I am actually kind of enjoying it.
What did you make your "gravy" out of and what about the apple cinnamon muffins? Congrats on the NSV.

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels ~ Kate Moss
As long as I am losing something, I am NOT gaining something!
I'm good enough, strong enough and I AM WORTH IT!!

Old 01-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #186

Apple cinnamon puffs are a staple for me, I LOVE them and have them everyday for breakfast!

Old 01-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #187

S/C/G: 162/150.4/135

Height: 5'8 3/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I'll take a stab at this. Research into weight loss and, especially, maintenance are still pretty much in their infancy. And new information, as it's confirmed by refereed research, is being released all the time. 10 years ago and longer the conventional wisdom was that you needed carbs at night to sustain you -- that you needed carbs for practically EVERYTHING, in fact. [And the USDA, for one, hasn't kept up with the research.]

That has recently been disproved and it's been shone that protein, especially slow-release protein, will keep you on a much more even keel for the 10 or so hours you don't eat. This is the main reason why you have your 8 ounces of meat at night (slow release protein) and a protein isolate. Just for information, whey protein is slower release than soy. Hope this helps.

That makes sense - thanks!

wk 1= -2.4 (two weeks/TOM first week) wk 2= -4(TOM) wk 3= -1.8 wk 4= -2.4 wk 5= -1 wk 6= -.8 wk 7= +.6 (Christmas/TOM) wk 8= -3.8 wk 9= -6.6 (lighter clothes) wk 9= 0 (TOM) wk 10= -2.8 wk 11= -1.4 wk 12=-.6 (TOM) wk 13= -1 wk 14= -1 (TOM/P3) wk 15= -2.6 wk 16= -.2 (P4) wk 17= -1
Old 01-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #188
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindac36 View Post
About those occasional veggies...We can have any of them up to twice a week right? Not tomatoes twice a week and brussel sprouts twice a week.

What about herbal teas...Do we need to drink more water to counteract the tea or is that only for caffeinated coffees and teas?

Does broth count into our daily water? I have been drinking a cup of fat free Swanson's Chicken broth almost every day (okay, this is only day 6 for me but, I have had it a couple of times and wondered) it's been cold here and tea doesn't always fit my mood.

Thanks-Linda
You're right on the vegetables. 2 a week; mix-or-match.

Herbal teas are free because they don't have caffeine.

And you really need to watch the canned broth. It's essentially chicken flavored salt water. Check the sodium and aim for about 1200 mg a day. Sometimes you can find sodium-free crystals. or low sodium. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #189

S/C/G: 269/234.2/160

Height: 5'10.75"

Man, I'm kind of bummed right now. I told my mom that she and my dad need to be supportive when I start this diet and try not to tempt me; she said "I want to be supportive, but those diets are really difficult and most people gain all the weight back." I don't think she has much faith in me, or in that I can learn to eat right after I've gone through the phases. It sucks knowing that she doesn't agree with what I'm going to do.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #190
IP start date 1/3/2012

S/C/G: 232/185/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelama View Post
My doctor/coach told me IP changed it's policies on bell peppers a few months ago. Green, yellow, red, orange all allowed. Which is good for me b/c greenbelt peppers give me horrible indigestion
Me too, I do fine with all the others, but, the green ones do me in!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #191

S/C/G: 340/333/225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelama View Post
So glad you and your son are doing better. I had a year like that in 2009... It definitely gives you a new appreciation of everything, doesn't it?

As far as Big Mac in a bowl, I've done it a few ways. I've bought the preshredded coleslaw (picked out the carrots) and measured out 2 cups of that & added a bit of onion and a sliced pickle. Or, a cup of shredded cabbage, diced tomato (restricted to 2x/week), red onion, sometimes a bit of cucumber to make up another cup. That bowl is one of my go to favorites!
Thanks Pamelama...great ideas!!! Yep, never appreciated life more than I do now! Gotta make it count!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #192
IP start date 1/3/2012

[QUOTE=wuv2bloved;4162426]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindac36 View Post

Yes its true you measure it BEFORE its cooked.....remember the GROWL I told New Englander to do when she is measuring her Veggies and Meat.....RAWWWWWWWW........lol
No, I never saw that. I guess this is better to learn at the middle of day six! Although I think this is going to be a learning process all the way through.
I won't be able to do my nightly protein without thinking of your smiling face and imagining the growling RAWWWWWWW coming out of you. Thank you for the morning giggle!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #193
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKDROPsilhouette View Post
Man, I'm kind of bummed right now. I told my mom that she and my dad need to be supportive when I start this diet and try not to tempt me; she said "I want to be supportive, but those diets are really difficult and most people gain all the weight back." I don't think she has much faith in me, or in that I can learn to eat right after I've gone through the phases. It sucks knowing that she doesn't agree with what I'm going to do.
But she doesn't know what you know, and what you're learning. Would she be willing to read Dr Chanh's book? And she's right in one regard. A lot of people do mess up and regain. Not so many here, though. And not you.

And I thought of another really good, easy, inexpensive dinner food: meat loaf -- grated (dried) zucchini instead of bread, 1/2 pound lean ground beef, 1/2 pound very lean ground turkey, an egg, dried onion or oregano, if you like, and then Google microwave meat loaf to make it super easy and fast. Cheers.

Last edited by Linden; 01-08-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #194

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kiddos View Post
What did you make your "gravy" out of and what about the apple cinnamon muffins? Congrats on the NSV.

Gravy was the chicken soup packet (I blended it all right in with the veggies, which was a mixture of roasted cauliflower, turnips and rutabaga). And the muffins (not the soy puffs), was the vanilla pudding cake recipe (check the recipe thread) with cinnamon/nutmeg zuchinni, cut very small. And right now, I am having a caramel shake (EAS vanilla RTD blended with ice and WF caramel.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #195
IP start date 1/3/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMommy View Post
Yes, you have to weigh your meat raw. Some doesn't cook down much (like fish fillets) but some (like ground beef) have a huge difference. I'm not exactly sure, but my guess is that because when you cook it most of the weight that's lost is water and other juices which didn't provide any added calories or fat and so if you measure it cooked you're 'replacing' the few ounces of water that escaped with the fat and calories in the extra meat.
You know, this is actually good news, because I was having trouble eating 8 ounces of meat every night. Honestly the pups were always finishing off my last bites.