Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 209/157/157

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanCo View Post
I started IP Thursday this week and so far am feeling great! I was worried about the headaches so paid extra attention to getting my salt in before they happened and so far have been headache free I am so excited to finally get this weight off of me once and for all, I have been a lifetime dieter. My husband says I'm really good at losing weight...I say I'm just not good at keeping it off! This time WILL be different, I have HUGE motivation...

5 months ago I delivered my beautiful son by emergency c-section after a traumatic pre-eclampsia related delivery. We both made it through and were home recovering. About 4 weeks into my recovery I started getting severe headaches, and even once left side numbness and vision loss. After going to the ER they found that I had a large brain tumor. It was luckily benign but had to be removed immediately. My surgeon was amazing and my surgery was a miraculous success with no side effects that could have been. Once home recovering from that my son started getting sick and was airlifted to Children's hospital where we were for 9 days and a stomach surgery.

Needless to say 2011 was a trying year, but it was also an eye opening year! Life is too short to spend it miserable and unhealthy. God has given me a second chance at life and I want to show Him how grateful I am by living it in the healthiest body possible! I owe it to me, my surgeon, my son, my husband, and Him! I WILL do this!!!

OK, so I do have a question...I tried the Big Mac in a Bowl last night...delicious as everyone says, but my question is what does everyone do to get the 2 cups of veggies in with it? The lettuce doesn't count and the pickles are pretty minimal so what else do you do with it?

So excited to have found this site!!!
So glad you and your son are doing better. I had a year like that in 2009... It definitely gives you a new appreciation of everything, doesn't it?

As far as Big Mac in a bowl, I've done it a few ways. I've bought the preshredded coleslaw (picked out the carrots) and measured out 2 cups of that & added a bit of onion and a sliced pickle. Or, a cup of shredded cabbage, diced tomato (restricted to 2x/week), red onion, sometimes a bit of cucumber to make up another cup. That bowl is one of my go to favorites!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 269/234.2/160

Height: 5'10.75"

For the protein at dinner, is it okay to use canned tuna (Starkist, light in water)?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #168  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKDROPsilhouette View Post
For the protein at dinner, is it okay to use canned tuna (Starkist, light in water)?
Yes, its ok but I wouldn't do it but maybe once or twice a week from what I can remember. I have only used it a few times
Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 209/157/157

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyAWC View Post
Has anyone ever asked their coach why the tip is to avoid having the restricted as a snack when the book talks about having the bulk of your carbs at dinnertime? Just wondering...
My coach said have the restricted carb anytime. I've had it in the morning a few times and it makes me a ravenous monster all day. I have it as an evening snack with a glass of tea (I'm talking about the bars & puffs primarily)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #170  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

FYI - I know there has been a lot of discussion on chewing gum recently and I was scrolling through the IP FB page and found this. I know all coaches are slightly different, but here is the closest thing to an 'official IP statement' as I can find:

Quote:
Ideal Protein You can chew sugarless gum but you have to limit the amount you chew because companies can put 0 grams of sugar if the sugar amount is less than 1 gram. Most gum is just under 1 gram so this means if you chew 10 pieces a day that will equal to almost 10 grams of sugar and your weight loss will plateau.
December 18, 2011 at 10:18am · Like · 1

Last edited by NavyMommy; 01-08-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #171  
IP start date 1/3/2012

S/C/G: 232/185/160

Height: 5'9"

[QUOTE=EmilySebetka;4161389]So, I have learned that you have to weigh meat when its raw, not cooked! My 1lb of hamburger (when raw) turned into 8oz when cooked... *sigh*

Is this true? Weighing meat when raw doesn't make sense to me. That is not how much you are eating. You are eating the cooked amount.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #172  

S/C/G: 250/200.5/130

Height: 5'5"

ShanCo - for the Big Mac in a Bowl, I usually cook 2 cups of spinach in the microwave, and then mix it with my Mac Bowl. Since the spinach cooks down so much, I hardly notice it, but I get all those great nutrients!

I haven't been online since before Christmas and oh, how I've missed you all! I had every intention of staying OP over Christmas, but I didn't. A week and 6 lbs later, I'm back on track and ready to continue!!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #173  

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

Default Did I Cheat?

So far this weekend I have eaten a big blueberry pancake with syrup, mashed "potatoes" with chicken "gravy", beef roast with mushrooms, chocolate "ice cream" and this morning, "apple" cinnamon "muffins". All so YUMMY, I must have cheated, right? WRONG. Completely OP! I love weekends when I have more time to play with the recipes. And, my NSV lately is yanking up my almost-falling-off pajama pants. It would be easy enough to take them in a bit, but I am actually kind of enjoying it.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #174  

[QUOTE=lindac36;4162412]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilySebetka View Post
So, I have learned that you have to weigh meat when its raw, not cooked! My 1lb of hamburger (when raw) turned into 8oz when cooked... *sigh*

Is this true? Weighing meat when raw doesn't make sense to me. That is not how much you are eating. You are eating the cooked amount.
Yes its true you measure it BEFORE its cooked.....remember the GROWL I told New Englander to do when she is measuring her Veggies and Meat.....RAWWWWWWWW........lol

I added to body progress pics in my profile if anyone would like to see the different from Jun to now
Old 01-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #175  

Hello everyone! Today is day 6 and I am doing great! I do have some questions though, someone mentioned ginger ale, so is diet ginger ale ok and will not knock us out of Ketoses? My couch said soda water was ok but the sheet say NO SODA, please give me some insight! Also I bought Ketone strips and took my first test this morning and it came out as TRACE of ketones, so maybe I just had more carbs to get out of my system? Or...? Thank you all so much for your encouragement!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #176  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindac36 View Post
Yes, you have to weigh your meat raw. Some doesn't cook down much (like fish fillets) but some (like ground beef) have a huge difference. I'm not exactly sure, but my guess is that because when you cook it most of the weight that's lost is water and other juices which didn't provide any added calories or fat and so if you measure it cooked you're 'replacing' the few ounces of water that escaped with the fat and calories in the extra meat.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #177  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamoose View Post
Hello everyone! Today is day 6 and I am doing great! I do have some questions though, someone mentioned ginger ale, so is diet ginger ale ok and will not knock us out of Ketoses? My couch said soda water was ok but the sheet say NO SODA, please give me some insight! Also I bought Ketone strips and took my first test this morning and it came out as TRACE of ketones, so maybe I just had more carbs to get out of my system? Or...? Thank you all so much for your encouragement!
I just stick to the water, I would not drink the ginger ale everyday but maybe use it as a "treat" every now and then. Most of everyone who uses the Ketone strips have a "trace" of ketones. I myself have never used them so I wouldn't know
Old 01-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #178  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survalia View Post
So far this weekend I have eaten a big blueberry pancake with syrup, mashed "potatoes" with chicken "gravy", beef roast with mushrooms, chocolate "ice cream" and this morning, "apple" cinnamon "muffins". All so YUMMY, I must have cheated, right? WRONG. Completely OP! I love weekends when I have more time to play with the recipes. And, my NSV lately is yanking up my almost-falling-off pajama pants. It would be easy enough to take them in a bit, but I am actually kind of enjoying it.
Yum!! And congrats on the NSV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
I added to body progress pics in my profile if anyone would like to see the different from Jun to now
Wow, the pics look amazing!! You look like a different woman!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamoose View Post
I'm not sure on the ketosis strips because I've never used them, but I think Wuv said that people on IP don't ever test all the way into ketosis because of the amount of water we drink. As for the soda I was told ABSOLUTELY NO SODA, not even diet by my coach. She said it had to do with the acidity and body chemistry and gave me a sheet explaining it but I've lost the sheet now otherwise I would scan it for you.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #179  
IP start date 1/3/2012

S/C/G: 232/185/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
Make sure you watch the tomatos though, that is a veggie to only be eaten twice a week. Its an occasional veggie
About those occasional veggies...We can have any of them up to twice a week right? Not tomatoes twice a week and brussel sprouts twice a week.

What about herbal teas...Do we need to drink more water to counteract the tea or is that only for caffeinated coffees and teas?

Does broth count into our daily water? I have been drinking a cup of fat free Swanson's Chicken broth almost every day (okay, this is only day 6 for me but, I have had it a couple of times and wondered) it's been cold here and tea doesn't always fit my mood.

Thanks-Linda
Old 01-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #180  

Thanks Wuv! Was thinking the same thing but just needed to hear it. Also I grew up in West Point MS, right by Columbus and Starkville so I'm sorta from your kneck of the woods
Closed Thread