Old 12-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Default I've read the thyroid thread but...

...I have more question that weren't specifically answered there. My thyroid is under-active and I am potentially or "have" hypothyroidism. It's hereditary and I get tested annually for it. My doctor (PCP) sent me back for more blood work to determine how off my hormones are and if I should begin therapy. (Once I get the results I'm taking them to an Endocrinologist for advice/treatment.)

Yesterday I told my coach I may be hypo and she mentioned IP can cause your thyroid to be problematic (if you are predisposed to it). She also mentioned it could go back to working properly once I'm out of ketosis.

Here are my questions...
1. Were you diagnosed with a thyroid disorder while in Phase I? When you moved into maintenance how did your thyroid work? Was there a change?

2. Are you someone who began IP while you had a known thyroid problem and were taking medications to control it? How has this impacted your IP journey? Can you eat kale, broccoli etc.? Do you have to worry about spacing your thyroid meds with eating? Do you avoid soy based IP products?

3. For all with thyroid problems...has or did IP make it worse?

Thank you so much!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #2  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post

Yesterday I told my coach I may be hypo and she mentioned IP can cause your thyroid to be problematic (if you are predisposed to it). She also mentioned it could go back to working properly once I'm out of ketosis.

Here are my questions...

2. Are you someone who began IP while you had a known thyroid problem and were taking medications to control it? How has this impacted your IP journey? Can you eat kale, broccoli etc.? Do you have to worry about spacing your thyroid meds with eating? Do you avoid soy based IP products?

3. For all with thyroid problems...has or did IP make it worse?
I'll try to answer your questions but we aren't authorities and, to be, honest neither is your coach. in fact, I think she's off base with her advice. Rather than rely on us, or your GP unless he or she is really up to date on hypothyroidism, I would start to read liberally about the condition. And make an appointment with an endocrinologist. Sometimes takes months to get an appoint. To start getting educated I'd go to Mary Shomon and read the articles by the experts whose articles are posted on her website.

I've had hypothyroidism for a donkey's age, the cause of my weight gain, and my medication has been slightly reduced since I started IP. I do eat goiterogenic vegetables but NEVER raw. I used to take my medication in the morning (because that's what I was told to do) than drank 12 ounces of milk to wash it down. Sheese. I now take it at night and never have anything rich in calcium within 6 hours of the medication. That's why it's been reduced -- the uptake is much better. I'm mildly allergic to soy and, because it's detrimental to the thyroid, I don touch the stuff. This means avoiding a number of the IP products, or ordering a high grade whey protein isolate, or -- if you can afford it -- something like Michael Eades' product. It's not available to me in Europe so I can't comment on it's effectiveness.

I hope this helps.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 276/270/185

Height: 5'8''

I have also been hypo for several years now. I had routine blood work with my PCP done after 6 weeks on IP. My thyroid level was within normal range (I had had my meds increased the time before after being on the same dose for a couple of years). I just saw my PCP again and since at that time I had lost 30 lbs she has ordered another round of blood work for me just to make sure everything is as it should be. I will probably go next week to have it done and I will let you know what the results are.

I take my meds in the morning, but after reading Linden's post, I am considering switching to nights. I noticed you mentioned not having anything calcium-rich within 6 hours of taking thyroid meds...what about your CalMag supplements? I take 2 around 4pm and 2 more with dinner. Does that affect the thyroid meds?
rbtemplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #4  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

I pretty much second all of what Linden said other than I do take my thyroid meds in the morning. I am careful about what I take within 6 hours of them though. I'll eat some cooked broccoli or kale, but not raw and I don't make them staples. I don't have the problem with soy that she does, but I avoid having too much of it because I don't like what it can do to your hormones.

I've been on thyroid meds for about 9 years but should have been on them more like 20. I did very well the first time around with IP After I stopped IP, I did need a dosage adjustment--which was an increase, but I had so many other hormonal imbalances and adrenal fatigue at play that it's really not surprising. I also think that after having lost so much weight, I actually had a better idea of what it meant to feel good.

I will add that often times people have thyroid problems even when their blood tests come back normal. That was a huge part of my learning curve... and then educating my doctor. Shomon has some good information on this and I think it is Dr. Lee who wrote the "What your doctor may not tell you about.." menopause or peri-menopause. they have some good information as well.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Take my synthroid at about 5am with large glass of H2O. I take my Calcium after my evening meal. I had my blood checked less than 2 weeks ago and it was ok. It had to be increased in Sept. I don't think the diet effects it much, however, other things have a big difference, like blood pressure and cholestrol, they will both improve greatly. An endo will be able to give more info and like someone said, read all you can. I eat whatever veggies I want, but I cook them. good luck
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:39 AM   #6  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtemplet View Post
I noticed you mentioned not having anything calcium-rich within 6 hours of taking thyroid meds...what about your CalMag supplements? I take 2 around 4pm and 2 more with dinner. Does that affect the thyroid meds?
Yes! Big time.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 269/236/180

Height: 5'8

I take my thyroid meds as soon as I wake up. Eat nothing for an hour....and I take the enzymes, anti oxi, and fish oils about 5 hours later then before bed time I take my vitamins cal mags and potassium....My Coach is the wife of the Dr. (an internist) Of the IP wellness clinic, and they both told me to take my pills in that order.
(I would advice you to talk to your Dr.)
I get my Thyroid checked every 3-4 months...I got it checked before I started in October and I get new bloodwork first week of January. I hope my levels are good!! Ive been having a lot of anxiety lately, so I know something is off ....but I pray all levels are normal!

Last edited by NewSexyMe; 12-30-2011 at 04:59 AM.
NewSexyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #8  

Height: 5'0"

Just had my thyroid re-checked and it was WNL. I split my thyroid - some in the morning and some in the evening. My big concern here in the PNW is that our water is fluoridated big time, so I get water that has been filtered by a process that eliminates fluoride. I haven't noticed any changes since being on IP. I don't avoid the soy products or kale, but then I don't have them in excess either. I figure IP is better for my thyroid than all the junk that I was eating before. My doctor monitors my thyroid closely and IP hasn't made any difference at all. Best of luck.
shelly ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #9  

Good morning, I've sent the email below to the head coach at my clinic in hopes that I will get a response from the doctor. Several of you answered the veggies in question and I know they need to be cooked. One common issue seems to be the timing of taking the meds. Hopefully we'll get some concrete information. However, from what some of you have posted it does sound like you need to take it far from when you take your calcium.

Email:

Hi, Hope all is well. I get my thyroid tested annually as thyroid problems run in my family. My last test done one week ago shows I'm hypothyrodism. I'm getting additional blood work done to determine the severity of it to begin treatment. When I spoke to my coach and she mentioned IP can bring it out if you are predisposed to it, which I am. (I believe that's what she said.)

Since this program is overseen by a physician I would like the physician's expertise on this issue as I'm concerned. My questions in particular are:

1. Does the IP diet (or being in Ketosis) affect a person's thryoid negatively?
2. Will going off the IP diet (or getting out of Ketosis) help my thyroid?
3. If I stay on IP should I avoid soy products?
4. If I stay on IP should I avoid raw vegatables such as kale, cauliflower, brocoli, cabbage?
5. When I begin my Thyroid treatment what should I be concerned with? i.e. timing of taking my med?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Maggie

Last edited by New Englander; 12-30-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 269/236/180

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Good morning, I've sent the email below to the head coach at my clinic in hopes that I will get a response from the doctor. Several of you answered the veggies in question and I know they need to be cooked. One common issue seems to be the timing of taking the meds. Hopefully we'll get some concrete information. However, from what some of you have posted it does sound like you need to take it far from when you take your calcium.

Email:

Hi, Hope all is well. I get my thyroid tested annually as thyroid problems run in my family. My last test done one week ago shows I'm hypothyrodism. I'm getting additional blood work done to determine the severity of it to begin treatment. When I spoke to my coach and she mentioned IP can bring it out if you are predisposed to it, which I am. (I believe that's what she said.)

Since this program is overseen by a physician I would like the physician's expertise on this issue as I'm concerned. My questions in particular are:

1. Does the IP diet (or being in Ketosis) affect a person's thryoid negatively?
2. Will going off the IP diet (or getting out of Ketosis) help my thyroid?
3. If I stay on IP should I avoid soy products?
4. If I stay on IP should I avoid raw vegatables such as kale, cauliflower, brocoli, cabbage?
5. When I begin my Thyroid treatment what should I be concerned with? i.e. timing of taking my med?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Maggie

Wow! Good Questions! Make sure you post us on what the reply was!! I would love to know tbeir input. Treating hypothyroidism is tricky....and staying within normal levels is even trickier
NewSexyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSexyMe View Post
Wow! Good Questions! Make sure you post us on what the reply was!! I would love to know tbeir input. Treating hypothyroidism is tricky....and staying within normal levels is even trickier
I will post any response I receive. I'm also going to bring these same questions to my upcoming appointment with my new Endocrinologist. Hopefully he can shed some light on this.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #12  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 199/154/145

Height: 5'8"

Smile

I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis (hypothyroidism) 13 years ago (when I was 26 years old). I had gained 20 lbs in 3 months and was quite symptomatic. I've been on replacement hormone therapy since then and been essentially healthy (including 2 healthy pregnancies). Except after my 2nd pregnancy I had great difficulty losing all the weight I gained. But thanks to Ideal Protein, I have lost all the weight I wanted to lose and now I've below the weight I was when I got married 13 years ago.

I went on the IP diet for 12 weeks and met my first weight loss goal. I have been off of it for 3 months and have maintained my weight without gaining 1 pound by eating normal portions and eating a "zone" type diet. Now I'm going back on IP to lose another 10 pounds and then I want to maintain that for life.

Since being on IP and losing weight, I haven't had to go up or down on my thyroid hormones. My cholesterol and triglycerides have both fallen. They weren't really high before but now they are much much lower. As you probably know, high cholesterol is common in persons with an underactive thyroid.

I eat kale, broccoli ect...anything green without thinking twice about it.

As far as spacing your thyroid meds with eating...my pharmacist suggests taking my med without eating 2 hours before or after. So I take mine at night just before bed. I know a lot of people take it first thing in the morning but I tend to forget to take it. So night works for me, I've been doing this for 10+ years and it's worked fine.

I don't avoid any soy based IP foods. I love soy-anything when I'm on or off the diet.

As far as IP making my thyroid problem worse...it's been a miracle for me. It works and as long as I keep myself in the mindset for not cheating, the weight falls off of me. My MD checked my T3 and T4 levels every 6 weeks during my diet and my levels were stable on the unchanged dose.

I wish you luck with your journey. I hope you have an healthy and happy new year.
yougogirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougogirl99 View Post
I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis (hypothyroidism) 13 years ago (when I was 26 years old). I had gained 20 lbs in 3 months and was quite symptomatic. I've been on replacement hormone therapy since then and been essentially healthy (including 2 healthy pregnancies). Except after my 2nd pregnancy I had great difficulty losing all the weight I gained. But thanks to Ideal Protein, I have lost all the weight I wanted to lose and now I've below the weight I was when I got married 13 years ago.

I went on the IP diet for 12 weeks and met my first weight loss goal. I have been off of it for 3 months and have maintained my weight without gaining 1 pound by eating normal portions and eating a "zone" type diet. Now I'm going back on IP to lose another 10 pounds and then I want to maintain that for life.

Since being on IP and losing weight, I haven't had to go up or down on my thyroid hormones. My cholesterol and triglycerides have both fallen. They weren't really high before but now they are much much lower. As you probably know, high cholesterol is common in persons with an underactive thyroid.

I eat kale, broccoli ect...anything green without thinking twice about it.

As far as spacing your thyroid meds with eating...my pharmacist suggests taking my med without eating 2 hours before or after. So I take mine at night just before bed. I know a lot of people take it first thing in the morning but I tend to forget to take it. So night works for me, I've been doing this for 10+ years and it's worked fine.

I don't avoid any soy based IP foods. I love soy-anything when I'm on or off the diet.

As far as IP making my thyroid problem worse...it's been a miracle for me. It works and as long as I keep myself in the mindset for not cheating, the weight falls off of me. My MD checked my T3 and T4 levels every 6 weeks during my diet and my levels were stable on the unchanged dose.

I wish you luck with your journey. I hope you have an healthy and happy new year.
Thank you. I appreciate your input. My cholesterol was extremely high and I had it checked at week 7 of being on IP and it dropped 100 points...I was a true fat eater...I didn't know an underactive thyroid could cause cholesterol problems...that's good to know!

Have a happy new year!!!