Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Hi Ladies!
I am feeling a bit of the "pain" of the holiday season as well. The cookies and candies are everywhere and it seems like there will be lots more waiting for me when I get to my parents on Christmas Eve.

I am not sure if anyone else works in an office that seems to be getting a gift basket everyday, but that is definitely my situation. Most of the stuff I can avoid with no problem, but once in a while something comes in that I really like. Sigh. I have to say that I have been doing some nibbling and ate a piece of chocolate today and 1/2 a cookie. Depending on what the scale says tomorrow will determine if I need to do a P1 day.

Is it me, or do Phase 1 days seem so much more difficult now? Like mentally difficult. I don't mind not having the carb in the evening, as I typically pass it up unless there is something that I want or we are out. But man, I HATE giving up my breakfast. It is my favorite meal of the day and I totally look forward to my apple & PB and yogurt & granola. I am definitely hoping to be in my window so I can enjoy my breakfast, but I will need to make sure that I have a strict P3 day and skip the nibbles. However, if I see my ceiling #, I will also be on P1.

I have my December monthly weigh in on Wed. My coach said that I could / should come in once a month and officially weigh in to make sure I am on track. I told her that I was weighing myself almost daily and I will never get over my ceiling #, but she would like me to still check in once a month. I think it might be more for her peace of mind, but I guess it is good for me too. It would also be beneficial that if things do get out of control, I won't go more than a month without checking in and getting help to reign it in.

I feel like IP is the first diet that has ever changed me mentally. Does anyone else feel that way? For once, I feel like I know what moderation is and I feel like I have actually learned how to maintain my losses. I used to be an "all or nothing" type of person, but I feel like IP changed that. If I had a bad meal, I would let it spiral into a bad day, a bad week or bad month. Now, it is just that meal and I am right back on track immediately. I also find that I do not have any cravings. Yes, I am nibbling on holiday goodies here and there, but they do not haunt me like they used to. I would literally not feel satisfied until I had eaten every last one (of whatever it was I was craving). Now I have 1 or even none and am ok with it. Maybe it is the whole resetting the pancreas, but it works / worked. I have always gone from losing weight to gaining it back. There was never any maintenance, until now. Anyone else had this kind of experience? I am amazed everytime I step on the scale that I am in my window and successfully maintaining my losses.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

Thank you Sandy for the kind words...
Jennydoodle I think we are cut from the same cloth... I, too, had big issues with stopping at 'just one' and definitely had the 'all or nothing' attitude. I miss my breakfasts the most when I'm on Phase 1 and I do feel like IP has so helped change my mentality toward maintaining. Partially because I actually reached my goal and can take pride in myself for having achieved that feat and partially because this is absolutely a me that I want to maintain. I feel that IP gave me the tools to ensure that maintenance is possible. It allows me a day to eat what I please and showed me how to negate that day with p1. The recipes that turn cauliflower into potato and zucchini into pasta are still ones that I enjoy regularly along with a host of others. Vegetables are most definitely my best friend having taken over the position from sweets. They satisfy in a way that a sweet never could- I would always have to have more and more and more when it came to sweets and would never truly feel satiated. Bell peppers give me that little bit of sweet with a whole lot of feeling full. I love them and I love the way they don't 'hurt' me There is not enough good things that can be said about creating a positive relationship with food and I will forever be thankful to IP and this site for setting me on that path...
Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #18  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Jenny and Capricious, I really appreciate your posts, especially the two most recent. "Vegetables are most definitely my best friend having taken over the position from sweets" especially resonated. I'm finding that fruit doesn't have the attraction I would have expected it to, although that may change when fresh berries are available again. And starches are way off my radar. But I'm enjoying vegetables more and more even though the selection is a bit limited. Thanks so much for sharing your insights. SO sorry about the key debacle. Ouch.

Pauley and ItsAbout, I sure hope your girls are feeling a lot better. Thank goodness my granddaughter is getting over her cold; unfortunately she shared it with me. But, it's the first time I've had a cold in ages, and that's another thing I like about IP.

Maile, I hope the Phase 1 was successful. As well as the baking. I'm still looking for the perfect mango bread recipe. If you find it, please share, OK?

Last edited by Linden; 12-20-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #19  

Height: 5'4"

Yesterday was a nsv for me. I normally won't work out if I have under an hour because "it's not worth it" by the time I'm all dressed and stuff. Well, I knew I had to get my daughter to dance at 5 and the Shred is only 28 minutes so I knew I could get that done and I also got a 15 minute run in. I burned 367 calories in that little 45 minute window. I was happy.

This morning I am down a little bit more to 151.8 so I'm hoping to get it down even further and be where I was a couple weeks ago by Thursday.

I am feeling a lot stronger since starting my work outs again, that's for sure!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Its about time and Capricious - thanks for sharing your tales of woe. I don't feel alone in my Christmas mishap!

I certainly agree that this is the first diet that has changed me mentally. Before, I never "finished" a diet, like I have done with IP. I would just slowly work my way off plan, quit weighing in and start gaining again. This is the first time I've reached my goal and made a concious decision and plan to maintain. That really changes the mental aspect of it. I feel like I've succeeded at a diet for the first time and I don't want to spoil it. It's pretty powerful. Now regarding all the Christmas sweets, which I love more than anything, I think the free day has taken care of that. I ate IT ALL last Saturday and I can have it all again next Sunday so I'm able to resist everything all week long.

My reward for avoiding the multiple cookie trays in my office all week long was popping out at lunch yesterday to a Forever 21 store and buying myself a pair of size 6 jeans. Never in my life have I worn a size 6. Thank you IP. It's a new type of "Merry Christmas" for me!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Linden - my daughter is feeling much better now. She was wearing her plastic high heels and tutu and trying out the dances from the Nutcracker. Too cute! I hope you are feeling better soon too. No fun being sick at Christmas!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #22  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauley View Post
Its about time and Capricious - thanks for sharing your tales of woe. I don't feel alone in my Christmas mishap!

My reward for avoiding the multiple cookie trays in my office all week long was popping out at lunch yesterday to a Forever 21 store and buying myself a pair of size 6 jeans. Never in my life have I worn a size 6. Thank you IP. It's a new type of "Merry Christmas" for me!
Can't wait for that day! Size 6 is my goal! For now I am just excited to be able to pull a 9 from the junior section in most stores and wear that comfortably. This coming from the girl who wanted so badly to shop at 5.7.9 in jr high but couldn't because they didn't sell anything big enough. I needed at least a 12 you sure as heck wouldn't find that there. 15 years later, here I am.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #23  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Good morning all, it is nice to come back and read so much positive stuff.

I too have been doing phase 1 days, as I have kind of hit my window but my weight I have found now fluctiates about 8 lbs so it is hard to tell... I am trying so hard to just be careful... this time of year is a killer as I love to bake sweets to give away... I have eaten a few of them as a lot this year are new recipes. Tried a peanut butter ball and found it way too sweet. My all time favorite is Icy Squares (that here you can only buy around Christmas) well I used to eat the whole (big) container within a week. I am happy to say I have a small container in my freezer and have had about 4 out of there, but have discovered they are way too sweet as well. I have made chickpeas to taste like nuts and bolts and just love them, but had to divide them into small packages so I don't go totally hog wild. I like the rest of you when I am hungry I go looking in my fridge to see what veggie is handy to eat... I also made kale pesto and have had that on Yam noodles and it was quite good. Also made Edamame dip for veggies very satisfying when you have a chip urge. I must admit I am not a real big fruit fan, but I have apples and raw caramel dip that is really good to snack on. I do like my berries and yogurt when I am doing phase 3 breakfasts. Now if I could find a replacement for Peanut butter I would be set. I have some sunflower butter with flax and it is okay but not PB...

Cap - how horrible about your keys, that must have cost you a pretty penny too...
Pauly hope your daughter is feeling better... I just about threw up reading... (weak stomach and huge imagination)...
LInden get better

Jelly - thanks for restarting this for us... You are the best.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

I am back on the wagon and og baby it feels good! Been eating low carb since Sunday and am at goal weight this AM-I was too scared to look the last couple of days-feeling thin and not bloated/heavy. When I go hog wild and pig crazy with my eating, even my limbs feel like lead. So the question is.....why is it when I have a "free day" I have to eat like a samu wrestler? I need to get a grip and enjoy occasional "indulgences", not a week's worth of garbage in one day!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Determined- I'm feeling the exact same as you today! Been eating low carb since Sunday (as Saturday evening was definitely what I would term a 'hog wild' free day) and following Lynsey's mention of zeroing out her scale I did the same to mine before stepping on it this morning as it has been finicky the past few weeks (step on it get a weight, step on it get a number that's a pound less a second later etc). So I nearly keeled over in shock upon seeing a number that was 3 pounds less than the number I was hoping for. I kept stepping on it thinking it must be wrong. And all I can say is WOOOHOOO! That is awesome!! What an unexpected and happy treat... yay, yay, yay. Do I sound happy??? Cause I am!!!
The thing with the free day- yes many times it is way overboard but I'm believing in Bill Phillips and that with time and enough free days under our belts it will not be so tempting to eat absolutely everything. It has only been in the past few weeks that my free days have started to simmer a bit. The more I have the closer together they seem and there doesn't seem to be the same imperative need to get in absolutely everything that I will not be able to have for the next week.
2ride- having an 8 pound flux is awful! At least it goes down though and not just up. Hopefully after your body has spent long enough in its current size it will settle down a bit. Those Icy Squares are baaadddd. And I mean that because they are way too darn good. If you've managed to only grab a few of them you are doing really well! Have you tried Almond Butter yet?
Pauley congrats on the size 6's! It's a fantastic idea to try on clothes when you're tempted by treats- what a great reward for resisting!
Lynsey- wow! You've been getting in an impressive amount of exercise! So happy for you that the scale is rewarding your hard work
There really is something to be said for gathering with all of your family at Christmas time and being able to take pride in your hard work with them. My sisters in law are both quite slim and I'm looking forward to dressing up and not feeling like a whale next to them. That kind of self consciousness I will happily not be bringing with me to this year's Christmas party!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #26  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
I am trying so hard to just be careful... this time of year is a killer as I love to bake sweets to give away... I have eaten a few of them as a lot this year are new recipes. Tried a peanut butter ball and found it way too sweet. My all time favorite is Icy Squares (that here you can only buy around Christmas) well I used to eat the whole (big) container within a week. I am happy to say I have a small container in my freezer and have had about 4 out of there, but have discovered they are way too sweet as well.
Um. I don't quite know how to says this, but you actually taught me how to survive the urge to bake. I started by making liver treats, using your recipe, for all the dog people I've met here. We may not speak the same language; but we speak treat. Then, I branched out into cat treats. I even stuffed one of the leather gloves I'd lost the mate for with catnip. I think it will be appreciated. And I'm now on bird food that people can hang from their balconies. It's not quite the same, I'll admit, but it sure serves the purpose. And I haven't licked my fingers yet. And because you deserve it for keeping me on track, .
Old 12-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Oh my Linden that would cure the urge to make Christmas goodies. Also the aroma would definately not be too Christmasy!
Is the catnip glove for your kitty who you said was 18? It may make it think it is a kitten.

Oh Cap your truck episode reminds me of an ordeal I had years ago when I still lived in Nova scotia. I had driven with a friend from Ontario from Halifax to Cape Breton. I went to an ATM and put my keys on the ledge. I went to a store and realized that I had left my keys a few minutes later and went back. They were gone.
I had to get my son to rent a car in Halifax and bring me a spare key because there was not a dealership where I was. My son was barely old enough to rent a car. Then when I got back to work at school in September there was a message on the school voicemail for me. I had the school number on the keycase. I could not understand why someone would think it was a good idea to take a key away from where someone had left it.
Ah memories!!! Not one of my favorite times.
I am glad your brother was close enough to be able to help you.

I am super glad that your weight went in the right direction after all that commotion.
Pat
Old 12-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #28  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Hi folks..I enjoyed reading the comments about the holidays and IP. Like many of you I was an all or nothing eater before IP. I headed straight into that "cycle of negativity." After these months I have stopped that cycle and pattern.
I also have discovered that there are some vegetable dishes that I really love and that I don't miss potatoes and pasta. I really enjoy my meals for the most part and look forward to them.

Maybe we should call ourselves the Holiday Phase Oners..as many of us are on Phase 1 to control the eating.
Yes, I hate giving up those wonderful breakfasts!!!

Jenny and others: I can feel the pressures of food and entertain everywhere.
I have family staying with me, so I will be having 2 or 3 xmas celebrations as people are coming in and out. I am also cooking more and more things that I cannot eat.

So yesterday I dutifully eat my Phase 1 breakfast and then find that everyone wanted to go to the Mongolian Grill for lunch. My first reaction was oh no..I am going to blow Phase 1 and this is not a salad restaurant. However, as everyone loves this restaurant and I am trying to learn how to live with this program, I only used low carb veges and a couple shots of the sauce.
So here I am not having gained but not having lost and am once again on Phase 1.

I must tell you that even if I am only up 2 pounds from my current goal, I do not like it! I want to stay down so I can have the safety of being able to go up. I am not secure in this area.

Today was better and ate salad for lunch. However, another big dinner ahead, but I am ready and going to ignore the barbecue ribs!

Cap..Thank heavens for family and brothers that help. That was an awful key experience. Great news on the 3 pound discovery!!!! A nice Xmas present.

Linden: sounds like you are doing well with the presence of treats. I have a dynamite chocolate zuccini bread..but no mango bread yet. Hope your cold is better.

Pauley: congrats on the size 6s. I have size 8s that are too big..but not have had the time to check size 6. I did however fit an Alfani small sweater for the first time! Like you I have ended diets, but I have not finished them.

2ride..Your 8 pound variation is so hard. You are doing very well staying positive. Also you are baking yet seem in control! Good for you. I was just about to try the roasted chick peas. I hear they are incredible.

Itsabouttime: You should be very proud of yourself. You are losing and not gaining before your vacation. Despite the fact that you sound incredibly busy driving your kids to and from dance practices...you are still exercising.
Your vacation sounds like such fun. I used to live in SF and love the area.
My daughter is visiting from SF and is freezing up here. You are headed for lovely warm California weather. Go Raiders! I am a Seahawk fan.

Determined. I am hoping with time that we will all figure out our Free days so we feel secure and comfortable. I still worry about gaining weight from them. Glad you are back on the wagon on Phase 1.

Pat: that was some ordeal..weird that someone would take your keys. Glad you came out Ok. Hope your holiday is going well.

I think everyone here is doing extremely well during the holidays! It gives me a great deal of support to be here and learn from others.

I just realized that I have been planning my free day on Xmas. This would mean that I would head off to Hawaii the day after my free day. Not a good idea. I do not want to get on that plane up in weight. New strategy needed.

Last edited by Maile; 12-20-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #29  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
So here I am not having gained but not having lost and am once again on Phase 1.

Linden: sounds like you are doing well with the presence of treats. I have a dynamite chocolate zuccini bread..but no mango bread yet. Hope your cold is better.
On Phase 1 today, too. Contagious. And I sincerely agree with your sentiments about sustaining. Edit: I agree whole heartedly about the flying, especially if you're on Hawaiian Airlines, the driest planes in the air. How long does it take you and do you fly from Seattle?

About the chocolate zucchini bread. YES. Please, please. I really need one more, really good [people] house gift. And have 2 days before I leave.

Last edited by Linden; 12-20-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #30  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Oh my Linden that would cure the urge to make Christmas goodies. Also the aroma would definately not be too Christmasy!
Is the catnip glove for your kitty who you said was 18? It may make it think it is a kitten.
I agree about the aroma of boiled or baked liver, and I like liver. Andy-the-cat's 19 going on 20 and still spry, but not enthralled with catnip anymore. It's for my son's 8-year old. She will probably turn herself inside out. Hope all is well. Say your LOSS.
Closed Thread