Old 12-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #1  
Carrielee

S/C/G: 227/190/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Feeling light headed!!

Lately I have been gettting dizzy spells.. I been on IP for 4 months. Its obvious I am lacking something, I was thinking it may be because I havent ate red meat for a couple weeks? Im going to pick some up at the grocerie store today.. hopefully that does it. ANyone else experience the dizziness??
Carrielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #2  
Carrielee

orr maybe some iron pills??
Old 12-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #3  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

You need more Sea Salt.....you are outta balance....lick some off of the palm of your hand, then drink water...it should help. Your BP may be low as well...I get this sometimes and this always helps me.
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I agree with Wuv, it sounds like you need more sea salt. Are you putting it on your food? I had that problem at the start of the diet, but it did go away for the most part. Every once in awhile it will happen when I stand up. It also could be unrelated to IP and instead be an inner ear issue. I would dry and add more sea salt to your food and if that doesn't help it just might be an ear issue.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #5  

I'm agreeing with Wuv & Dana... sea salt was the first thing I thought of because I've been through the same thing... the half-teaspoon is where you start, but it's not set in stone... some folks need more, some less... I usually ingest somewhere between 1/2 & 3/4 tsp. per day... whenever I feel a little light-headed, I dump a little salt in my hand & lick it off... takes care of the problem almost immediately...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

Height: 5'4"

I have had that issue, and mine was actually low iron. It wouldn't hurt to add a bit of red meat to your diet...I do beef once a week as well as adding the salt as the others said.

ALL THAT TO SAY THIS THOUGH...we are not medical doctors and if the problem isn't resolved either by red meat, iron, or salt, you need to see the doctor. I have seen too much with people's health both young and older...I don't mess around!!! If something isn't right, I give it minimal time before I am headed to the doc!
scpnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #7  
Carrielee

what kind of ear issue?? My ear has been bothering me, and sore throat and swollen gland behing my ear. Though it was just becasue of the sore throat.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #8  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/185/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrielee View Post
what kind of ear issue?? My ear has been bothering me, and sore throat and swollen gland behing my ear. Though it was just becasue of the sore throat.
If you have an ear infection it can make you dizzy. I have had a few morning if I jump out of bed too quickly, the room spins. It's common with dieting.
auntdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 222.1/206.9/140

Height: 5'6"

After I had been on the diet for 3 weeks, I started getting dizzy spells. I was on blood pressure medication and the doctor had to lower my dosage to half of what I was taking. If you are on blood pressure meds, please see your doctor. If not, I believe the advice you have been given on adding more salt will help you. Hope this helps. ;-)
CC Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Iron, electrolytes, inner ear/sinus issues and low blood pressure have already been mentioned, but another common cause of light-headedness, dizziness and nausea is blood sugar issues (such as hypoglycemia, reactive hypoglycemia, diabetes, and insulin resistance), specifically low-blood sugar (or a rapid drop in blood sugar).

For decades, I thought low-carb diets (especially low-calorie, low-carb diets) were "dangerous," because whenever I tried them I would get so sick - dizzy and light headed - to the point that I would actually get close to passing out (and even DID pass out on a few occasions - and this was when I was in my teens and twenties. Now that I'm on metformin - a blood-sugar control medications, it's even worse).

It wasn't "induction flu" because it not only didn't get better after two weeks, it only got worse and worse. I never made it beyond 5 or 6 weeks, because I'd just get so sick of being sick (and the constant fear of passing out).

You could talk to your doctor about getting a glucose tolerance test to find out whether you've got blood sugar issue. Or you could buy a blood sugar testing kit (I think Walgreen's sells a disposable kit that includes the test strips and the monitor), but the tests can be a little difficult to interpret on your own. For example, I found (only by testing my blood sugar several times a day) that I would often get the dizzy, lightheaded feeling not only when my blood sugar actually fell into the too-low range, but also when it dropped suddenly (so if it went from very high to low-normal over a short period of time, it could also cause nausea and light-headedness).

Books on blood sugar issues gave me a lot of tips for managing my blood sugar issues, but some of them may not be convenient or compatible with IP.

For example, the best way I've found to prevent the symptoms are to keep my calories about 1200 per day and to spread out my calories throughout the day, and avoiding having carb-only meals (always combining carbs with at least equal amounts of protein).

If I actually get to the "uh oh, I think I'm going to pass out" stage, I need sugar (I keep nasty tasting hard candies or cough drops - not sugar free - in my purse or the glove compartment. I pick a flavor I HATE - like cinnamon or menthol - so that I'm not tempted to use them, except in blood sugar emergencies).

I don't get to the emergency "gonna faint" stage unless I've screwed up (skipped a meal, waited too long to eat, had a too-high-carb meal or snack ...)

At the just starting to get sick nausea/lightheadedness stage, I can usually get rid of the sick feeling just by eating - even protein (but protein takes longer to bring blood sugar back to normal, so the ickier I feel, the more likely I'll want at least a little bit of carbs in the snack or make sure that it has a little bit of carbs, protein, and healthy fat).

Last edited by kaplods; 12-11-2011 at 11:00 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrielee View Post
As auntdee said it could be an ear infection. I also get dizzy/inner ear issues when my allergies get bad and my nasal passages get plugged up.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #12  
Carrielee

I think it was the salt, I up my intake and havent had the dizziness since. thanks!!