Cooking with red wine

• I have some beautiful stew meat I want to make over the weekend. Usually I would marinate it in red wine, but that's not permitted on the IP protocol. My husband said everything cooks off, so he thinks I should be able to do it. I don't think that's true.

Looking for expert opinions -- I know the alcohol cooks off, but I'm not so sure about the sugar, especially when it comes to marinating. What do you think?
  • Anyone?
  • I personally would NOT but that is my opinion
  • When I started I did a lot of asking about meat preparation. I usually brine all of our chicken and I use a smoker/bbq sauce/seasonings for almost all of my cooked meats/fish. When I asked about options she was pretty clear if it's not on the list and it's not a Walden Farm item the answer is probably no. This has been the hardest part of the diet as I don't want to cook with extra sugars that are in most marinades/seasonings and sauces as I don't want that to kick me out of ketosis.

I did a quick google on this subject and found some Atkins threads and the general thought was also a no. Mostly because of the sugar in the wine. After simmering most of a wines alcohol content has burned off, but that's not the case for the sugars.

I will say that having had to change my methods of cooking has been a challenge but has been fun too.
  • Use some stock instead... If you follow the protocol 100%, you will see better results than if you don't...
  • Thanks, everyone -- that's what I thought. I'm having great success on this program and am not willing to jeopardize it.

I made a great pot roast using chicken stock, so that's what I'll do with this. I may get some WF ketchup to add in.
  • I have made a few pork loin roasts. I have added 1/2 to a whole jar of pickled pepperoncini peppers or any other pepper that is pickled at the beginning of cook time. Gives it a nice flavor and is no sugar. The vinegar is a tenderizer. Try it. I will continue to add this to my roasts even after IP. It's that good. My Dad even started cooking his roasts with it and they aren't on IP.
  • I would not use wine, as I think as much as it cooks off, not everything will evaporate magically.

I would suggest to marinate in apple cider vinager instead, that gives quite a good taste.