3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Canned tuna?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/244912-canned-tuna.html)

Carrielee 10-11-2011 11:28 AM

Canned tuna??

Allowed or no??

LeaArr 10-11-2011 11:42 AM

allowed, but be cautious what you put in the tuna if anything.

useruser 10-11-2011 12:17 PM

mix cooked green peppers and onions (not caramelized)...put a bit of sugar free ketchup and the tuna. I typically use this recipe with shredded carrots and regular ketchup to be served with crackers...but for IP I modify it to work just fine as a meal (no crackers of course).

rainbowmom 10-11-2011 12:39 PM

I use it all the time. I mix in mustard, chopped onions and some dill pickles and add to a big salad, then squeeze lemon juice and sea salt on the salad. One of my favorites.

ItsAboutTime 10-11-2011 12:44 PM

I use it. I usually put lettuce and onion and sometimes chopped up pickle on a plate and add the tuna to the top.

tjlhj 10-11-2011 01:56 PM

Thanks I needed to read this... sooooo need something new.

FinnSteven 10-11-2011 02:02 PM

Canned Tuna is a lifesaver when you are stressed for time.

1. make sure it is packed in water, not oil
2. The recipe above this post is great...I use a variation of it all the time. (Tuna, Mustard, Dill Pickle, chopped raw onions, a squirt of lemon juice, sea salt, crushed black pepper. I also often add horseradish which gives it a fantastic kick without being too spicy).
Some ways I eat it are:
a) Scoop some onto a lettuce leaf and roll it up.
b) Make a salad and then add the tuna with a homemade dressing (I love using the Cilantro Lime Mustard dressing)
c) But in a container to take to work (refrigerate!). I will often bring 1 container of the tuna, and another container with either a sliced, salted and peppered (and tabasco-ed) tomato or a bed of lettuce.
d) Cut a tomato in half. Scoop out some of the wet insides. Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil on both halves and sprinkle with herbs (basil, thyme, oregano), sea salt, and pepper. Scoop in tuna in both halves. Bake at 200C for 5-15 minutes depending on how baked you want it. (I bake for about 7 minutes).
Warm...inviting... and can be put together and on the table in less than 15 minutes including baking time... less if its pre-made in the fridge.

Or if you want to get fancy, you can make Succulent Tuna Patties (click here) which are really elegant and able to be served to the whole family.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...49561575_n.jpg

and fresh grilled tuna with just lemon/lime juice, sea salt, and heaps of black pepper... BLISS!

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4118923_n.jpg

Long Live Tuna the Wonderfish!

scpnme 10-11-2011 04:57 PM

Quick question in regards to canned tuna...don't we need at least two cans...and maybe a bit over once you drain the water? One can with water is only 4.5 oz...whereas with fish I think we are supposed to have 8 oz...

this is a great thread...I love the ideas but I will admit...it made me miss tuna casserole and real tuna salad with miracle whip!!! :-)

SVermonter 10-12-2011 07:26 PM

I use tuna fish mixed with walden farms new "miracle whip". I think it's pretty good, sometimes mixed with celery and onion. Its quick, too.

Herding Cats 10-12-2011 11:51 PM

The night after I made, and enjoyed, the tuna cakes...my coach said No canned tuna. She couldn't really give me a reason, except maybe something with the preservatives. I used the kind packed in water, so I'm not sure what the deal is. I've been afraid to use it since, but would love to put it back on my menu!

FinnSteven 10-13-2011 03:13 AM

Not sure why she would say that. Tuna is on our list and my coach just told me not to use oil packed tuna. I cant find anything online which would prevent it, and honestly, the canned tuna is a Godsend on super busy days.

Herding Cats 10-13-2011 05:46 PM

Me either! and being that I used it and still lost 8lbs the first week...I'm adding it in!

carlasherea 10-13-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herding Cats (Post 4070078)
Me either! and being that I used it and still lost 8lbs the first week...I'm adding it in!

The weeks that I added tuna were the weeks I lost the most. I wouldn't listen to your coach on this one!

JellyMae87 10-13-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlasherea (Post 4070093)
The weeks that I added tuna were the weeks I lost the most. I wouldn't listen to your coach on this one!

I too have used Tuna... I have recently gotten the kind in the pouches, Garlic and herb, as well as Lemon Pepper... And I just put some on a sliced cucumber...

tykesplace 10-13-2011 11:22 PM

I use the Albacore from Costco. They're 7 oz each packed in water. I do the same as others adding mustard, olives, celery, pickles, red onions, S&P. And sometime a bit of hot sauce for zing. Have it on top of mixed greens. Pretty handy when I have to eat lunch at work. Then instead of meat I'll have a packet at dinner.