Old 09-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 151.8/139/130

Height: 5"3

Default Phase 3 with no grains? anyone else???

I'm starting phase 3 tomorrow, whooo hooo! I plan to eat paleo diet after maintenance which is basically no grains & no refined sugars so I don't want to add in the whole grain bread or cereal for my breakfast. Anyone else out there like me? I follow primal diet & wellness mama who recommend eating almond or coconut flours and have several recipes for breads, muffins, etc. But I don't want to mess up my already amazing results!!

Thank you for your help, I've been following this forum since before I started, just 5 weeks ago, and it has inspired me so much!! Thank you!!
ColleenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7'

Great thread to start - I am also interested in this. I'm not sure I trust myself with grains...I really and I mean REALLY like them. I'm afraid if I start again it'll all be downhill.

I don't have any answers for you, but I hope someone on here knows more about this topic.
stolaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #3  

Thanks, I did all the research on comparing the carbs and such and coconut flour is less so I'm just waiting on the answer from my coach Quick question for you.... can you show me the link on how to put my weight loss tracker in my signature like you did thank you!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #4  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenS View Post
Thanks, I did all the research on comparing the carbs and such and coconut flour is less so I'm just waiting on the answer from my coach Quick question for you.... can you show me the link on how to put my weight loss tracker in my signature like you did thank you!
If you read the first post in the daily threads it will explain everything to you... You need to be on the fourums for at least 20 days or make at least 20 posts...

Last edited by JellyMae87; 09-11-2011 at 06:30 PM.
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182.6/142.8/135

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenS View Post
I'm starting phase 3 tomorrow, whooo hooo! I plan to eat paleo diet after maintenance which is basically no grains & no refined sugars so I don't want to add in the whole grain bread or cereal for my breakfast. Anyone else out there like me? I follow primal diet & wellness mama who recommend eating almond or coconut flours and have several recipes for breads, muffins, etc. But I don't want to mess up my already amazing results!!

Thank you for your help, I've been following this forum since before I started, just 5 weeks ago, and it has inspired me so much!! Thank you!!
I'm not but I've been using paleo recipes for inspiration and ideas for phase 1. Check out nomnompaleo. I like that one.
wildflower613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #6  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Collen..I am not on Phase 3 yet, but also am concerned about the amount of grains..ie carbohydrates. I have to watch my blood sugar and can't have the 50 carb Phase 3 breakfast. I have also heard coconut flour is excellent..Hope you get some answers.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 166.6/142.2/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm very interested in this topic. Being pre-diabetic, my doctor told me to limit my carbs (grains) to no more than one a day if that. When I mentioned this to my coach, she said no. She would start me out at 3 carbs for breakfast!

I just don't think I could handle that.

Colleen, please keep us updated as to your progress and congratulations on your weight loss!
CajunLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #8  

It's 8:45am and I haven't eaten cuz I'm scared to add in the carbs and haven't heard from my coach or fb page post. Ok, I can do this and after my weigh in this afternoon I'll keep you posted. -1.8 this morning!! WHEEW!! I was told not to expect weight loss on phase 2 and I still lost!!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

There are plenty of ways to get your carbs without eating grains or sugars.

I am a little bit familiar with Paleo, but not a whole lot. Could you use sweet potatoes or beans as a source of carbs? Or what about quinoa? Plus, at Whole Foods, there are tons of options for alternative flours.

I would be interested to know what your coach says. I avoid wheat, wheat gluten and corn, so I am also limited on carb options. But I found a bread called "Ezekiel Bread" that is amazing, so I will be eating that in P3 for breakfast. Then for other carbs once I hit P4, I will eat brown rice, beans & legumes, sweet potatoes and quinoa as my main sources.

I did P2 this past week and didn't lose any weight. I am a little nervous to see what P3 brings this week.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #10  

Thank you Jenny for your reply! I've been following your progress & you were one of the main persons who I got me to say "if she can do this, so can I!!" so thank you for all your encouragement to so many!!

I'm planning to follow wellnessmama.com eating plan and she says no grains = beans, quinoa, rice, etc is paleo. I just won a 30-day challenge on her site which got me 3 months of coaching so I'm hoping I will figure this all out by the time I'm done with phase 3! But all the paleo & primal diet at marksdailyapple.com sites I've been reading seem to allow is coconut & almond flours so I'm going with that for now

My coach emailed me back and said she didn't hear from the "main office" but to make the muffins I showed her unless she heard differently. So I'm gonna try these tomorrow:
Coconut Flour Biscuits Ingredients:
1/3 cup Coconut Flour
5 TBSP Butter or Coconut Oil, softened but not melted
4 eggs
2 TBSP honey (optional)
dash of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
How to Make Coconut Flour Biscuits:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Put all ingredients into medium sized bowl and mix well with immersion blender or hand mixer until well incorporated
Using your hands, carefully form into nine small balls and mash each one down with a spoon to make it about 1/2 inch thick.
Bake for 12-15 minutes until just starting to brown.

Variations:
Top with fresh strawberries and homemade whipped cream for Strawberry Shortcake
Top with egg, bacon and hollandaise sauce for Eggs Benedict (recipe coming soon!)
Serve with chili or soup
Add cinnamon and top with cream cheese for a cinnamon type roll
Cut in half or use two to make a sandwich for breakfast or lunch.
Add 1/2 cup grated cheese and 1/4 tsp cayenne to make cheese biscuits
What is your favorite use for biscuits? Will you try these? Let me know!

Apple Cinnamon Coconut Flour Muffin Ingredients:
5 eggs
1 cup homemade applesauce (store bought should work too)
1/2 cup coconut flour
2-3 TBSP cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 T honey (optional)
How to Make Apple Cinnamon Coconut Muffins:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Grease a muffin pan with coconut oil.
Put all ingredients into a medium sized bowl and mix with immersion blender or whisk until well mixed.
Let sit 5 minutes.
Use 1/3 cup measure to spoon into muffin tins.
Bake 12-15 minutes until starting to brown and not soft when lightly touched on the top.
Let cool 2 minutes, drizzle with honey (if desired) and serve.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #11  

Jenny, I forgot to say maybe the reason you didn't loose was because it's that time of the month? Don't stress over it, your body knows what it needs right now Praying for your peace. You are so close to your goal which I noticed is the same as mine and I haven't been in the 130's for 20+ years so for me I'm happy to be 139 right now!! And I'm sure you are too... but the unknown is scarey, I know.... we can DO IT!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #12  

If I remember correctly, there were a few members in the past who did Phase 3 without grains... Novak & I'm Svelting are the names that come to mind... look for the "Life After Phase 1" thread in the Sticky & the sequels, like this one http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...nd-sequel.html to learn how they adjusted their menus to exclude grains...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 158/155/125

Height: 5' 3.5"

Yes, I want to go to phases 3, 4 and maintenance grain free. Of course, I have such a long way to reach phase 3, but I have been concern about maintenance since I came back from my trip.

I was away from home for 2 and 1/2 weeks and was able to maintain my 10+ pound loss and lost 1+ pound in the three weeks between my official weigh ins. What surprised me on my trip was that I was able to easily say no to ice cream that my husband, my kids, and others were eating. I didn't even wanted a taste! Even though I LOVE ice cream . So I was very happy about that. But the smell of fresh beagle and warm bread was driving me crazy. I just wanted to eat them.

Anyhow, feeling that it is fall and I have to be productive, lol, I started looking for some interesting reading material. I was browsing the new releases on amazon.com when I came across the title Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis. All the reviews were great so I got it. I got to read a few chapters last night and I can't believe how it is changing my perception toward bread and pasta. Truly what I need now, lol.

Basically, he says all our illnesses and fatigue and feeling of being in a fog are because of the wheat, lol. He says the wheat we are eating today is not the wheat our ancestors were eating because of all the modification (genetic engineering).

So yes, we have gone through the era of "fat is evil", and then the era of "sugar and white flour are evil", and now it is time for the era of "wheat is evil", lol.

Whether he is 100% accurate or not, but I am totally buying his logic, claims, findings and research. I am so glad I found this book because now I know that I would proceed to maintenance without wheat and I am sure if I stay away from bread and pasta I can easily maintain my goal.

Last edited by rachelearth; 09-12-2011 at 06:03 PM.
rachelearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I have terrible issues with grains, especially wheat. Until I stopped eating wheat I weighed over 200 pounds at 5'1". But I do fine with Ezekiel bread.

When I reach maintenance I will try the Glycemic Load plan but without wheat. I looked at the paleo sites too. They stress to eat only what your great grandparents etc. ate. They say what we eat as wheat is not at all what wheat was like 100 years ago.

But my ancestors were Scots. They were eating oats for centuries. I have no problem weight gain when I eat oats. I'm wondering if oats were less genetically changed than wheat has been.

There is lots of interesting reading on the grain topic for sure.

Thanks for the muffin recipes Colleen. I'll likey try those too.
But all of this talk of maintanence is but a distant dream to me now.
But motivating to read about how you are all doing and making careful choices.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:33 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelearth View Post
Yes, I want to go to phases 3, 4 and maintenance grain free. Of course, I have such a long way to reach phase 3, but I have been concern about maintenance since I came back from my trip.

I was away from home for 2 and 1/2 weeks and was able to maintain my 10+ pound loss and lost 1+ pound in the three weeks between my official weigh ins. What surprised me on my trip was that I was able to easily say no to ice cream that my husband, my kids, and others were eating. I didn't even wanted a taste! Even though I LOVE ice cream . So I was very happy about that. But the smell of fresh beagle and warm bread was driving me crazy. I just wanted to eat them.

Anyhow, feeling that it is fall and I have to be productive, lol, I started looking for some interesting reading material. I was browsing the new releases on amazon.com when I came across the title Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis. All the reviews were great so I got it. I got to read a few chapters last night and I can't believe how it is changing my perception toward bread and pasta. Truly what I need now, lol.

Basically, he says all our illnesses and fatigue and feeling of being in a fog are because of the wheat, lol. He says the wheat we are eating today is not the wheat our ancestors were eating because of all the modification (genetic engineering).

So yes, we have gone through the era of "fat is evil", and then the era of "sugar and white flour are evil", and now it is time for the era of "wheat is evil", lol.

Whether he is 100% accurate or not, but I am totally buying his logic, claims, findings and research. I am so glad I found this book because now I know that I would proceed to maintenance without wheat and I am sure if I stay away from bread and pasta I can easily maintain my goal.

We were posting at the same time. I really want to read this book. But I am going to wait a bit to see if it becomes available on kindle. As I said my heritage is Scots and I am too cheap to pay full price for any book since I discovered the Kindle.
But I'm flying to Toronto for a few days later in the week. If I find the book in the book stores at the airport I'll likely cave to read it on the plane.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote