Old 08-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #1  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Cool Super strong cravings for popcorn, any suggestion for a satisfying alternative?

Hello everybody,

I have the strongest craving for pop corn today, I'm haunted by it, I am even imagining the smell of it, the texture in my mouth, everything...

I made myself some kale chips for lunch, and I love kale chips, but still, the popcorn craving is haunting me.

Any suggestion on a salty snacks that you like and is ok on phase I ?

Please share.

Thanks a bunch
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153.8/142.6/135ish

Height: 5'7

Ok, based on the nuts and the popcorn posts, I am thinking you need to possibly up your salt. Make a romaine stir fry and use your sea salt liberally. Or have some dill pickles, cut em up small if you need the "pop and chew" action. Nothing is going to taste like popcorn that isn't (that I can think of anyway) but perhaps getting some crunchy salty can help.
coliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

There is a recipe in the recipes 2 thread for cauliflower popcorn. Be careful if you make it to not burn them too much or it won't have the desired effect.

You can use a bit of I cant believe it's not butter or molly Mcbutter on it. I have also tossed it with a bit of vanilla stevia and cinnamon to get a kettle corn effect.

It is not popcorn but, it is worth trying as an alternate to see if it can work for you.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #4  
Restarting IP 100%

That might be it !

Romaine stir fry? Is that as simple as the name says? just stir fry some lettuce in a little bit of oil and add sea salt ? Or do you have a recipe for it?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153.8/142.6/135ish

Height: 5'7

No recipe, just as simple as it sounds. Since lettuce is unlimited, I use this "filler" a lot. I mean a whole lot! I have already had 2 today! You can use different seasonings, sometimes I do ginger/garlic/green onion combo or individually, sometimes I use a little light tamari, sometimes just plain. I don't know if the IP people had someone like me in mind (who really likes that kind of thing), but I am running with it since its guilt free and unlimited =)
coliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #6  
Restarting IP 100%

I will sure try it.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandralosingweight View Post
Hello everybody,

I have the strongest craving for pop corn today, I'm haunted by it, I am even imagining the smell of it, the texture in my mouth, everything...

I made myself some kale chips for lunch, and I love kale chips, but still, the popcorn craving is haunting me.

Any suggestion on a salty snacks that you like and is ok on phase I ?

Please share.

Thanks a bunch
Hi- I haven't been around for awhile. I'm calling it a hiatus. been doing a lot of traveling. Gained 8 lbs. And have lost 2 of them. Anyway, when my family was having popcorn while watching t.v. I would cut up celery into bite sized pieces and munch on that. I don't know that it would help a craving. I like popcorn but it's not one of the things I crave unless other people are eating it. But I notice that if I'm watching a show and I'm just mindlessly putting something in my mouth, the celery gives me the crunch.
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

I found this post in the recipes archives. It was originally made by our moderator, Ruth for the south beach forum but works here too. I am still trying to find our post.

I basically use the same recipe but, I use a teaspoon or two of splenda, a 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. It gives more of a candy or kettle corn taste.

You could season with anything... HMM... I wonder if you could do the broccoli cheese soup on it?

CAULIFLOWER "POPCORN" posted by Ruthxxx
1 pound fresh cauliflower
2 tablespoons oil
4 teaspoons Mrs. Dash Table Blend seasoning
Salt, to taste
Pinch granular Splenda, to taste, optional

Cut the cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Put in a large plastic storage bag or a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the oil over the cauliflower then sprinkle with Mrs. Dash and a little salt. Close bag and shake until florets are coated as evenly as possible or toss well in bowl. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet (I lined mine with nonstick foil). Bake at 400º 50-60 minutes, turning them over every 15 minutes. Bake until very dark brown, but not completely burnt. Taste and sprinkle with more salt, if needed, and a very light dusting of granular Splenda, if desired. The Splenda helps cut the bitterness of the charred cauliflower.

Makes about 4 servings
Do not freeze

Original Poster's Notes:
This recipe came from the Mrs. Dash website, but I had to make a few adjustments. The first time I made these, I used the oven temperature as posted in the recipe, which was 450º. After only 30 minutes they were nearly burnt so I took them out of the oven. The second time, I lowered the temperature to 400º and that helped quite a bit. I was able to bake them about 50 minutes. Next time I may try 350º and bake them a full hour. You do want them to get very dark brown for the best flavor and turning them is important because the bottoms will get too browned otherwise. This makes a very ugly-looking snack, but you'll find that they're kind of addictive. Mrs. Dash Table Blend has a lot of heat so if you don't care for hot food, you may want to use a different seasoning. If you use a seasoning that has salt in it, omit the extra salt. I was tempted to try some other seasoning with my second batch, but my husband loved it so much, that I stuck with the Mrs. Dash.
I made this today as a snack. I cooked it for 47 minutes, ate a few pieces but though it lacked some more crunch so I put it in for another 5 and it was good.

I liked it WITH the Splenda more than without (the other recipe I found in the forum made no remark of it). Reminded me of Kettle Corn flavoring.

Just a note: I had never cut a fresh cauliflower before. It was harder than I thought and tedious. So my florettes were bigger towards the end. I think the perfect size somewhere in between where I had most of them. Might try to keep the size more uniform for better crunch and cooking.

FOUND IT!! Here is the link to the original post for cauliflower popcorn in our recipes 2 thread. It is directly from the mrs dash website. I think I like the one above though because it uses the splenda and reduces the oil.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3314528-post33.html

Last edited by showgirlaz; 08-30-2011 at 11:06 PM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote