Old 08-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'2

Default So Much Hair Loss!!

I have half the hair I had 2 months ago. My coach said that happened to one other person in the clinic. Also the dr said to stop the diet or just wait a few months. I'm freaking out, the amount of hair in the shower and my brush daily.
Anyone else?
What can I do?
Should I wig shop?
Aacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

I'm losing hair too, even lost some eyelashes . Apparently it's a release of male hormones that causes it, I'm trying to find the sheet that my coach gave me on it. It's temporary! That's what matters and your releasing the hair that's about to let go anyway. The hair that will grow in it's place will be much more healthier.

showgirlaz provided me with a better explanation then I am giving you so hopefully she'll chime in. I'm on OMEGA III and AntiOxy because of it....it's temporary though!

I feel for you

Carla
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #3  

Here,

Just found the para that my coach sent me:

Temporary Hair LossWhile this temporary condition only occurs in a relatively small percentage females, it can be very traumatic if the woman does not understand what is happening here. Any sudden change in certain hormone levels can "stun" the hair follicle (these are very sensitive to hormones) and sort of sends it into a period of 'hibernation'. This temporary state of 'dormancy' may last up to nine months but, more often than not, usually resolves within six months. Moreover it only affects the hairs that are in the Telogen Phase (or final stage) of the hair growth cycle and are in the process of eventually falling out. The new hair shaft that will replace the old hair is temporarily thwarted in its development. This phenomenon is known as 'Telogen Effluvium' and is TOTALLY REVERSIBLE (unlike male pattern baldness, known as 'Androgenic Alopecia', which is permanent). The latter condition also has a hormonal cause: high levels of the testosterone metabolite DHT (dihydrotestosterone) which actually 'kills' the hair follicle. The condition of Telogen Effluvium may also occur during pregnancy or more commonly at post-partum. Again during pregnancy and right after delivery, the mother's hormonal balance changes significantly. This is why OB/GYNs employing the Ideal Protein Protocol in the practices never get concerned about this..it is relatively common in obstetrics. There is good news for the 'new mothers' and the Ideal Protein dieters experiencing this condition. Your new hair will be thicker, shinier and healthier when it comes in. Why? Hair is made of protein, primarily keratin. During pregnancy much of the mother's nutrition is used to "make a baby grow' so there might not be enough protein to keep the rest of her body in optimal repair. Similarly many of our dieters have had poor eating habits, commonly too many carbohydrates and not enough protein. Now with the adequate amount of these nutrients, she will not only love her 'new figure' but will also see positive changes in her hair, skin, and nails! Finally, Dr. Tran developed this diet over 20 years ago, If we caused women to lose their hair we would have not remained in business all of these years!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I think you should take the doctor's advice. Why not try a different diet in the meantime? I lose about 3lbs/week doing calorie counting.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-25-2011 at 03:23 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'2

Thank you so much for the sheet your coach sent you Ishbel. I wish I would have seen this a few weeks back.
I am calorie counting now and not on IP.
This is what happened 6-8 weeks ago. (says my coach)
I feel a little bit better, but still freaking me out. I hope that the new hair isn't grey!
Aacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #6  

Adding to the post above---hormones are mentioned but I think that lower calories are the cause of the hair loss in this case.

When we lose weight quickly our bodies are forced to live on drastically lower amounts of calories. While eating fewer calories all the remaining nutrients are channeled to the organs that need them most. And our hair isn’t one of them.

So suddenly, our hair must do without the nutrients it needs to grow. And it also has to compensate for that loss. It sends more strands into “resting” phases and temporarily suspends production of new strands.

Not to mention the fact that hormones go haywire when releasing the weight doesn’t help matters.

Hair loss is not the fault of IP . . . it can happen with any reduced calorie diet.

How many grams of protein do we get with IP?? I have read that 80 or more will help with hair loss.

I started taking Biotin--if I decide to do the IP diet I am going to start taking biotin when I start the diet. I am looking into Silica by Puritans Pride and might take that also. I don't want to go through losing my hair again.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

With IP we get on average 18 for each packet so 54 to 72 depending on if you are using 3 or 4 packets a day. Plus we get 5 to 8 ounces of meat or fish which averages 9g per ounce of chicken breast, 6g per ounce of beef, 6g per ounce of fish. That said, we get between 30g and 72g of protein for our dinner meals.

So, we are getting about 80 to 140g (roughly) of protein each day before considering the protein we get from some veggies and any added milk.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Something I posted the other day:

I lost hair too, especially around month 4 and after. I found that about 6 months in maintenance and I was getting the hair back and, by 1 year, I am back to normal for my hair. ACTUALLY, it is better than normal! My hairstylist keeps saying I can't believe what strong healthy hair you have. It is still on the fine side but I have much more of it than I did.

I did take supplements because I had other concerns and some of them could tie into a nutritional issue but, those were issues I also had before beginning IP. I certainly don't think talking a quality hair supplement would hurt.

Losing hair is not always a sign of missing supplements though it can be. It can also be a process called telogen effluvium. This is very common following bariatric surgery, rapid weight loss, surgery, trauma, even pregnancy can bring it on.

"Telogen effluvium. This type of hair loss is usually due to a change in your normal hair cycle. It may occur when some type of shock to your system — emotional or physical — causes hair roots to be pushed prematurely into the resting state. The affected growing hairs from these hair roots fall out. In a month or two, the hair follicles become active again and new hair starts to grow. Telogen effluvium may follow emotional distress, such as a death in the family or a physiological stress, such as a high fever, sudden or excessive weight loss, extreme diets, nutritional deficiencies, surgery, or metabolic disturbances. Hair typically grows back once the condition that caused it corrects itself, but it usually take months." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hai...SECTION=causes

"What happens during weight loss is Telogen effluvium. It also happens after any stress to the body. Some of your hair follicles go into catagen to conserve body resources. So the hairs stop growing and "rest". Once your body feels safe again, those hairs go back into anagen - but because there was the pause in the middle, the brand new growing hair pushes the old hair out of the follicle. So in reality you have just as much hair as you did before - and it's probably far healthier hair. But the new hairs are short

Normally around 10% of your head of hair is in the catagen or telogen phase, in essence resetting itself to prepare for new hair to grow in. Because you have so much hair on your head, you don't even notice. During weight loss that percentage gets higher, but this is only temporary. Your body starts creating new hair in its normal cycle once it settles into a healthy weight and those hairs start growing again. Remember that hair doesn't reach a long state overnight! So all those new, healthy hairs need time to grow out to whatever length of hair you have chosen.

Usually it takes 6 months for your head of hair to have grown back out to typical fullness. Hair grows around 1/2" per month, so at the 6 month mark, the hair is around 3" long which is enough to seem thick on most heads. Again, it's not that the hair is MISSING during this intermediate time. It's just that it is brand new and growing from scratch." http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art16071.asp

The recent IP recommendation for those prone to hair loss or starting to experience hair loss is:

Adverse Hair Thinning

Per the Chief Science Officer taking a treatment of 3 Omega 3's at breakfast and 3 at dinner along with 3 Anti Oxy's at each breakfast and dinner for a period of 1 week then followed by 1 each of both at breakfast and at dinner until hair returns will improve the effects and timing. He also stated this is rare and most importantly …temporary!!!!

This is of course based on their products. I am not sure how much of each is in the bottles, maybe you could check them out when you see your coach?

I used a supplement by a brand called Michael's. I liked that it was complete with biotin, insitol, choline, selenium, and many other things that offer hair strength and growth potential. I also took vitamin with Bioflavonoids. They are also suppose to help with hair loss. Given I had issues with Big C the vitamin C was good for me in both aspects.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 08-26-2011 at 12:22 PM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

I can relate I have lost atleast half of the amount of hair I normally have and quickly, I went yesterday for a hair cut to even things out and add fullness. Its not something thats going to stop me from continuing with this program. Its annoying and I admit bums me out a bit, especially because I have long hair about the middle of my back so the regrowth will not catch up to the rest of it very fast haha. It doesn't mean we will be going bald...like mentioned above its hair we were going to lose we just lost it alot faster then we would have...theres still lots of hair that isn't going to fall out for awhile.... I started taking bamboo silica and a b vitamin which includes biotin.
Losingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #10  
Relying on His strength

S/C/G: 252/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Did anyone find that any of the supplements they were taken has helped? It's been a couple months since these posts, so maybe the ladies that posted on here have seen results?

I was on a different rapid detox diet for 4 months and switched to Weight Watchers at the end of September. I did lose 60 lbs. from the beginning of June to the end of September. I still have 45 more to go, but with my hair quickly falling out and I've developed gallstones, I've decided to do the 45 lbs. more slowly.

I'm truly freaking out over the hair loss. I've always had tons of hair, always been told I will never need to worry about going bald, but even my hairdresser told me a couple days ago that I may need to look into a wig in the future if I keep losing at this rate. I've noticed it's really thinning in the top front - bang area.

Does anyone know if it's ok to keep coloring hair in this state? I was afraid, so I went from what is normally a permanent to a semi-permanent. My hair is naturally white, but I have never let it grow out (and really, really, really don't want to)...it is the dark brown I grew up with.

Thanks for any help!
Lisa
Mytwosweetkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #11  

I think mine has slowed down, I've asked the BFF and she said it's not 'thinner'. Also it's longer so sometimes I wonder if I'm freaking because it looks like a lot of hair, but really the strands are just that much longer.

I have faith in the BFF that she says it's not 'thinner'. I do continue to colour it...I look forward to being off the diet to see how the 'new' hair is.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #12  

I lost 44 pounds in 4 months on Ideal and half my hair. The time I dieted l
I counted calories and lost 44 pounds 7 months and no hair. Think Ill stick to calorie counting. I seem to do better with smaller portions and watching the calories. I miss my hair and see it growing back, but it wasn't worth it.
Virginia 1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 246/175.5/165

Height: 5'8"

Thank you for posting this question - I have been on IP for 4 months and have been losing hair at 4 times the normal rate for a couple of weeks now, which has been very disconcerting. I ended up finding a lot of the info posted above over the internet this past weekend, but it didn't make me feel any better. I also have long hair and started this diet for my vow renewal in Greece next summer. I may have a rockin' bod by then, but I wanted my long hair too, lol!

I met with my coach today and showed her my scalp and we talked about my concerns. I'm going to add some more protein and an additional supplement and see how it goes. She did say it was temporary, but it still doesn't make it easier to deal with. I guess I get to look forward to having healthier, better hair - I'm just really impatient.
RedheadedGardenLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #14  
Started IP 8/26/11

S/C/G: 241/179/150

Height: 5' 7"

Default hair loss

This terrifies me because my hair was thin from a previous medical condition and never really came back again. I am starting week 9 and have not noticed anything unusual - but how long did it take for your reactions and hair loss?
Callmesmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #15  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I've only been on IP for 5 weeks so I won't notice anything yet, but I fully expect to loose some hair as it happened to me also on Atkins. Also happened to a friend of mine. It started about three months into the diet and lasted about three months. It's just the stress on our bodies from loosing so much weight so fast. It also happened to me when we sold our home and moved out of state. Good stress or bad stress, it's just a reaction our bodies have to the changes. In my case I have thick curly hair, so while it was scary, it really wasn't noticeable and it did stop eventually.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote