Old 09-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #106  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

At what point did you guys start having hair loss? Was it right away or did it take several months? I have been doing IP since the end of July and I'm actually losing LESS hair. I have hypothyroidism, so I fell like I've always lost more hair than the average person, but since I started IP, it seems like I'm definitely losing less.
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #107  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeshellee View Post
At what point did you guys start having hair loss? Was it right away or did it take several months? I have been doing IP since the end of July and I'm actually losing LESS hair. I have hypothyroidism, so I fell like I've always lost more hair than the average person, but since I started IP, it seems like I'm definitely losing less.
I started in Feb. and noticed it in May - July. I have hypothyroid, too. Not everyone has hair loss, so count yourself lucky so far. Everyone is different.
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #108  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
I started in Feb. and noticed it in May - July. I have hypothyroid, too. Not everyone has hair loss, so count yourself lucky so far. Everyone is different.
I started IP May 13th and over the last week I have really noticed the increased hair loss. Now I think I'm paranoid, but my hair really feels like there is much less volume.

I found the Biotin and some collagen tonight at Walmart. Will begin taking them tomorrow. I have always had really nice fingernails, but they are quite soft. Who knows, maybe this will help them as well.

Lisa, I will google the bone broth. I generally google any questions I have, but was super busy today and figured I would rely on someone else's knowledge.

Sylviesgirl, thanks for the reply with dosage info and the tip about the iron. I have always tended to be a bit anemic, and perhaps need to see my doc just to get some things checked. Thyroid was checked before starting IP, but I think Lisa may have mentioned that IP can cause some thyroid issues....not sure if it was you Lisa. I soak up all the info you share and probably attribute most of the advice I remember to you.

Have a nice night girls!
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberjules View Post
Here's another follow-up to my doctor visit:

I'm not iron deficient, my thyroid is excellent, my mineral and vitamin levels appear to be normal for the ones that were tested. Hormones were not checked because she said when they take the test they have to answer a question about where you are in your cycle and since my cycle is all over the place we can't really answer which apparently can throw off the results since hormones are at different levels during specific times of your cycle.

So now she has me doing a castor oil pack and tincture compounds to help support organ and lymphatic system to help release toxins and hormones stored after fat loss. She also said that normally they don't see hair loss like mine except with rapid weight loss and since I'm losing steadily at less than 3 lbs per week it's not really rapid.

Good news did come out of it. When I first started IP I was a candidate for high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes. All my blood work was bad with a high chance of heart disease. Now, EVERYTHING is normal!!!!! So happy!

I also started taking Hair Essentials that somebody swears by after B12 and Biotin didn't work for them that well. In the meantime - I broke down and bought a wig - two in fact. I love them which is unexpected.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
I am not sure whether the "toxins and hormones released from fat stores" alludes to the fact that fat cells secrete their own hormones or to the notion that abdominal fat stores a variant of estrogen that may be released when you lose weight. Either way if this were your problem, you should have experienced hair loss early on since you have been constantly loosing.

In my opinion, it is more likely that the long-term low-carb/low-calorie dieting is affecting the production of your hormones. This can be through thyroid hormones, but also through leptin. If you are very low carb, you do not get the insulin spikes that are necessary for correct leptin regulation. Leptin appears to regulate the production of sex hormones, in particular progesterone. You may also have lower estrogen levels. In addition, testosterone, LH, and FSH levels may be affected. Insulin, leptin, T3 and sex hormones cross-talk and can influence each other's levels. So, over a period of time you may be too low or too high in certain hormones and create an imbalance. Your hair is simply sensitive to this imbalance.

I am not sure whether these effects are well studied. I have seen some research in pregnant women because it can affect fetal development and health. It is likely that the response is also individual depending on pre-existing factors. An endocrinologist, gynecologist, or a reproductive endocrinologist may know more and give you an idea whether you should be going on with the diet for another 5 months. If you exercise, stop as this can further stress your body (cortisol).
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #110  

Lolo
Remind me again where you are learning all of your hormone info

Is it all from Stop The Thyroid Madness or do you have other sources?
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 325/325/199

Height: 5'7"

Now you all have me worried! Every time I see a strand I frek out! But I started taking biotin today. Hope that helps.
JaneDeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #112  
Started IP - 8/27/13

S/C/G: 265/ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

I heard Kelp and Silica work well for hair growth. So sorry to those who have lost hair.
AliExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Lolo
Remind me again where you are learning all of your hormone info

Is it all from Stop The Thyroid Madness or do you have other sources?
This is now mostly from Pubmed using specific searches. I still need to read the "Stop The Thyroid Madness" book. A quick look at their web site suggested they have some good background information. Hopefully I will have more time in the future. I now try to follow up info from blogs with published studies to make sure there is some scientific basis to that information. It is going slowly right now because endocrinology is not my field. There also seem to be few real human studies.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 202/165/150

Height: 5'7"

Yes, it was at 4 months that my hair started falling out and now it is very thin. Is it going to be 6 months from the end of the diet?!?! I have 2 more months on the IP diet, and I'm afraid I will have no more hair!
TheJanieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 178.5/175.5/125

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJanieGirl View Post
Yes, it was at 4 months that my hair started falling out and now it is very thin. Is it going to be 6 months from the end of the diet?!?! I have 2 more months on the IP diet, and I'm afraid I will have no more hair!
I've done IP twice and both times at month four I lost a ton of hair. Luckily I naturally have thick hair so it's not super noticeable but it is crazy how much hair I'm losing. It lasted me for about a month.
navydocmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #116  

I loose a lot of hair all the time and I really didn't notice much more while on but I was only on for two months the first time and now for 30 days for a reboot towever my hair has grown tremendously since as well as my nails but I have also began using a leave in conditioner as well as argan oil when I shampoo I try and be very gently and that seems to help a lot I think any loss now will give you better stronger hair and more growth in the long run
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #117  

I've been losing hair pretty badly for about a month now. I have to vaccuum daily or the carpet is covered with hair. My hair is really think and long, but I think it is starting to be noticeable that my hair is thinning. I am taking biotin in the recommended dose (which I learned from the forum). All that my coach recommended was a shampoo called Nioxin. I was desperate so I did buy some. I can't say that I am noticing much of a difference, but's only been a few days... Anybody else try Nioxin?
StormyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #118  

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyS View Post
I've been losing hair pretty badly for about a month now. I have to vaccuum daily or the carpet is covered with hair. My hair is really think and long, but I think it is starting to be noticeable that my hair is thinning. I am taking biotin in the recommended dose (which I learned from the forum). All that my coach recommended was a shampoo called Nioxin. I was desperate so I did buy some. I can't say that I am noticing much of a difference, but's only been a few days... Anybody else try Nioxin?
I know nothing about that but Amberjules bought a wig.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 240/160/165

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aacks View Post
I have half the hair I had 2 months ago. My coach said that happened to one other person in the clinic. Also the dr said to stop the diet or just wait a few months. I'm freaking out, the amount of hair in the shower and my brush daily.
Anyone else?
What can I do?
Should I wig shop?
So my coach recommended Biotech vitamins, I am going to get them this weekend and see if it helps.
cassieleeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 240/160/165

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmesmall View Post
This terrifies me because my hair was thin from a previous medical condition and never really came back again. I am starting week 9 and have not noticed anything unusual - but how long did it take for your reactions and hair loss?
Mine started falling out more in the forth month, I am going to go get supplements, I already have short hair and cannot afford to lose any more.
cassieleeanne is offline   Reply With Quote