Old 10-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #16  
Relying on His strength

S/C/G: 252/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi Callmesmall, As I said in my post, I was not on this diet, but on a rapid detox, so it might not be the same rate for you...but I noticed tons of my hair falling out about 3.5 months after starting my diet. It *does* seem to have slowed down (I switched to Weight Watchers about a month ago), but my hairdresser said a bunch came out a few days ago when she colored it, so it hasn't stopped falling out altogether.

I am thinking of purchasing the Jessica Simpson clip in bangs that I saw someone else suggest in another thread on 3FC.
Mytwosweetkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

I thought I would update this thread...as I was one that lost hair and obviously posted in the thread a few times.

So, I coloured my hair this past weekend and was leaning in close to make sure the roots had gotten coloured (did it at home).

I notice...to my excitment...a lot of little baby hair about 1 1/2 - 2 inches long...IT'S GROWING BACK...it's been back for a while (cause it's at least that long...consistently throughout my head). I have PCOS so I have thin hair, but I don't think I lost enough for anyone to think "wow your bald"

BUT I wasn't expecting it to grow back until I was done...verra excited. So I thought I'd share in case someone else is in the same boat. There is hope!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #18  

Ishbel I am SO glad you posted this...this is one of my BIGGEST fears (besides loose skin) starting this diet as I also have pcos and right now my hair is REALLY thick and nice. I am terrified to lose hair :/ But I am SO glad to see that you are having wonderful results and your hair is growing back. I have a question, I hope you don't mind. Did you take Metformin before doing this diet (I am IR but not diabetic, so it's a preventative thing) if so could you continue or are you still taking it? Thanks
CysterLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'2

Ishbel, that is so funny you just posted this. I colored my hair Friday and the SAME thing here too. I have tons of new hairs sticking up. So it does come back, but my weight hasn't!
Aacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CysterLeanne View Post
Ishbel I am SO glad you posted this...this is one of my BIGGEST fears (besides loose skin) starting this diet as I also have pcos and right now my hair is REALLY thick and nice. I am terrified to lose hair :/ But I am SO glad to see that you are having wonderful results and your hair is growing back. I have a question, I hope you don't mind. Did you take Metformin before doing this diet (I am IR but not diabetic, so it's a preventative thing) if so could you continue or are you still taking it? Thanks
Sent you a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aacks View Post
Ishbel, that is so funny you just posted this. I colored my hair Friday and the SAME thing here too. I have tons of new hairs sticking up. So it does come back, but my weight hasn't!
TOO FUNNY, great minds think alike...I did mine on Friday too. lol
Old 12-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #21  

bump
Old 01-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #22  
Started IP 8/26/11

S/C/G: 241/179/150

Height: 5' 7"

I am sad to report that i had terrible hair loss after 3 months on the program. I refuse to quit, so I did some additional research. Apparently, another cause of hair loss, besides rapid weight loss, is toxic levels of Vitamin A. At first I didn't think much of it, but I was becoming desperate.

My coach allowed me to continue taking both a salmon oil and fish oil pill daily and my multivitamin. Looking at my Centrum, I get almost 100% of my daily allowance from that alone. Given my exceedingly increasing diet of veggies high in A. I thought I might be becoming toxic. After 2 months of stopping the oil pills and reducing my spinach intake, I have started to notice new growth which, while good, is not enough. I am now shopping for a multi without A.

What do you think? Coincidence in timing or real concern? My coach is not much help and I haven't had a GP in years.
Callmesmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #23  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmesmall View Post
I am sad to report that i had terrible hair loss after 3 months on the program. I refuse to quit, so I did some additional research. Apparently, another cause of hair loss, besides rapid weight loss, is toxic levels of Vitamin A. At first I didn't think much of it, but I was becoming desperate.

My coach allowed me to continue taking both a salmon oil and fish oil pill daily and my multivitamin. Looking at my Centrum, I get almost 100% of my daily allowance from that alone. Given my exceedingly increasing diet of veggies high in A. I thought I might be becoming toxic. After 2 months of stopping the oil pills and reducing my spinach intake, I have started to notice new growth which, while good, is not enough. I am now shopping for a multi without A.

What do you think? Coincidence in timing or real concern? My coach is not much help and I haven't had a GP in years.
Having been through this in the past I would bet you that it's the stress our bodies have been under due to the weight loss and not the vitamin A issue. If it were me, and it's starting to happen a bit now that I've just started my 4th month, I would continue taking your same supplements, but add biotin also. It is just a temporary situation, and the hair loss will stop eventually. In my case I have pretty thick hair and it does seem a little thinner lately, but I also know this is temporary.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I was reading this thread this morning and just happened to have a hair appointment today.
I haven't noticed this problem at all but that maybe because I have always taken vitamin B & C supplements and continued to do so and I now also take krill oil which I was delighted to find at Costco.
Anyway i asked my hairdresser what she thought if there was any change in my hair and she said no, it was great. My hair is very fine but it is not thin, I have lots of it.
But here is the interesting thing, she asked me what program I was on. She was surprised when I said IP, she said her sister was on it last year and lost 70 pounds. She said her sister had lost a lot of hair but it is growing back slowly. But the great thing was she said her sister is maintaining her loss very well. She said she really monitors closely that she doesn't get more than 5 pounds above goal. So that was encouraging both about the hair regrowth and the maintaining.
Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #25  

Thanks for the update patn, good to hear! My hair dresser actually thought mine was pretty healthy...just thin and it's always been thin...oh well.

Callmesmall I've always had thin fine hair so I was pretty freaked out. It stopped and it's growing back. Did you read the beginning of the thread as to what IP recommends. You're already taking the fish oil (OMEGA III) are you taking the ANTIOXY? I just went to the health food store and asked for an antioxidant supplement.

It scared me enough to consider coming off the diet but I decided 'ok, bring it on'. Good luck to you!

Last edited by Ishbel; 01-18-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 191/138/135

I had my hair colored professionally at month 4... and its been falling out ever since!! My coach doesn't seem to think its a big deal... but she has thick hair. I'm almost offended by the way she brushes me off when i express my concerns. I know its temporary, i know it will grow back. but i've been pulling out handfulls everyday for 2 months- i dont like it.
idealamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #27  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

I don't like it either. My advice would be to stick with IP until you're where you want to be though. I've been in maintenance a month, mine is still coming out. I added biotin 3 weeks ago, omega III a few days ago. It may be slowing down, but maybe there's just less to lose now. It will come back. Just like after having children. I hope.
Paint Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #28  

I lost hair like crazy while on IP! When I finally came off the plan it stopped. Don't worry, when you finish the program it will stop!
Photogirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
Thanks for the update patn, good to hear! My hair dresser actually thought mine was pretty healthy...just thin and it's always been thin...oh well.

Callmesmall I've always had thin fine hair so I was pretty freaked out. It stopped and it's growing back. Did you read the beginning of the thread as to what IP recommends. You're already taking the fish oil (OMEGA III) are you taking the ANTIOXY? I just went to the health food store and asked for an antioxidant supplement.

It scared me enough to consider coming off the diet but I decided 'ok, bring it on'. Good luck to you!
Hi Ishbel! I see we're both Rider fans!!! LOL! You have some very motiviating weight loss numbers!!! What has been the thing that keeps you going week after week?? Where abouts in Sask do you live? North or south? TTYS!
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mompattie View Post
Hi Ishbel! I see we're both Rider fans!!! LOL! You have some very motiviating weight loss numbers!!! What has been the thing that keeps you going week after week?? Where abouts in Sask do you live? North or south? TTYS!
Grew up in the north, live in the south...all around Saskatchewanian/Saskatchewanite/Saskalady...full blooded RIDER CHICK!

I think what I really found helpful (besides the site)...is the Beck Diet Solution. It's a great cognitive behaviour book with our relationship to food and 'how to think like a thin person'. Hunger is uncomfortable, but I'm not going to die and I can wait. Seriously, check them out. They are also on facebook and give a daily tip. Can't say enough about the book.

Today's tip:

Beck Diet Solution
New Year’s resolutions are often hard to keep up because people lose motivation. We say that it doesn’t matter whether or not you feel like doing it, do it anyway and you’ll feel so great you did. “Like” our status today if you’re making a commitment this weekend to do at least one thing to help you reach your goals.