Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/151/130

Height: 5'3

Default Omg......kale Chips?????

OMG I just cooked up a bunch of Kale from the recipe archive search to make Kale Chips, the are to die for??? I honestly if I had to say one word about this treat on Phase 1 week 3 I say to everyone GIDDYUP!!! They are so good. I put my salt on after they had cooked as someone mentioned and I ate 3 cups of them just now. Whew, thank you thank you thank you for this recipe. Lovin IP and the special tweaks we can do to impress our stomachs.
Bebe
brownbebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #2  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I want to try them, but I'm too lazy to make them. I read about them everywhere. I guess one day I'll just have to do it!
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #3  
Started IP Aug 2, 2011

S/C/G: 220/147/140

Height: 5'10

I made them twice now. I love Kale chips
Junetwin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #4  

Height: 5'0"

Agreed. Been doing kale chips for years. They are fun and yummy. Like mine with a kick of cayenne sometimes.
shelly ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242/242/180

Height: 5'5"

Default ENJOY....THEN....beware

They are wonderful....then reality sets in. Sorry.......find something else after that
DanaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

...Am I the only one who thinks these just taste like burnt dried leaves? I tried a ton of ways... I guess they didn't come out right?
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #7  

Height: 5'0"

They do!! That's why I think I like them.
shelly ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #8  

RECIPE pretty please girls! The only Kale I know is a green leafy plant...are these turnip chips? I'm confused....
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 143/126.2/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbebe View Post
OMG I just cooked up a bunch of Kale from the recipe archive search to make Kale Chips, the are to die for??? I honestly if I had to say one word about this treat on Phase 1 week 3 I say to everyone GIDDYUP!!! They are so good. I put my salt on after they had cooked as someone mentioned and I ate 3 cups of them just now. Whew, thank you thank you thank you for this recipe. Lovin IP and the special tweaks we can do to impress our stomachs.
Bebe
Yes Kale chips are one of my absolute favorites on IP. I sometimes sprinkle a little garlic salt on them too. They satify my crunchy, salty craving!
molliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #10  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsgurl0531 View Post
...Am I the only one who thinks these just taste like burnt dried leaves? I tried a ton of ways... I guess they didn't come out right?
LOL...nope....I don't like them, neither does my mom....lol....maybe we just dont know how to cook them.....lol
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #11  

Hi everyone. Thank you for the responses. It makes me feel like someone cares.
I washed my kale (and no nothing like turnip fries), this is Kale where your lettuce are in the grocery store or market. It is like a cruncy lettuce almost looks like cruncy parsley. I washed it in cold water and dried it in paper towels. Then I cut the stem running up the middle of the leaf out of each one and tore into bite size pieces. I threw them in a large ziploc bag with about 1/4 tablespoon of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and massaged the bag for a few minutes. Set my oven to 350F and I tossed them onto a cookie sheet. I baked them for 11 minutes exactly and when I pulled them out of the oven they almost looked like they had burnt to the bottom of my pan. I tossed my sea salt on them and removed them with tongs into a bowl. Absolutely delicious. If I had vinegar I would have added same amount as oil and massaged together then baked but I ran out. Next time. My kids loved them. I made them close their eyes first and chew it with their eyes closed, they both thought it was a real potato chip. I am a potato chip addict. But I really think I have gone coo coo for kale puffs cause they really are great. Please try them and let me know if this worked for you and what you think. Thank you for all the responses.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #12  

For my turnip fries I made last week don't make the mistake I did and throw them into the oven without steaming them first. YIKES. I cut them up into pan fry size and then steamed them for about 6 minutes like a potato almost then threw them (well, placed gently onto my cookie sheet) LOL, and tossed with oil, sea salt, garlic and chili pepper. I baked them for about 20 - 30 minutes and tossed them two or three times between cooking. They were good not like a fry so don't think they will be but they helped that day with the french fry craving. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #13  
Maintaining since 11/8/11

S/C/G: 170/141.5/140

Height: 5'7"

I LOVE kale chips!!! They are such a treat and totally satisfy the crunchy cravings.
pink parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #14  
Started IP 7-14-11

S/C/G: 280/197.2/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsgurl0531 View Post
Yuk, yuk, and more yuk! I agree. Turnip fries are nasty too!
futureskinnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Kale Chips

If you think they taste like burnt leaves, you probably DID burn them.
My first batch was brown...nicely crispy, but a bit burnt tasting. My second batch was not cooked enough and weirdly chewy. Third batch on were perfect. The only trick is you have to watch your oven.

If you are "too lazy" too make them, then you havent made them before... you just cut the leaves from the stems, put them on a pan with baking paper, and drizzle with oil and pepper. Salt when they come out of the oven. So easy. (Yes, I see the irony saying this after admitting my first two batches were fails. haha)

CRISPY KALE CHIPS:

This is a bizarre freak of nature recipe where something that looks like a salad magically turns into something like a potato chip.

To quote THE SMITTEN KITCHEN BLOG, "Baking kale transforms the qualities I always loathed in kale — the dense bitterness — into something impossibly light, with a nice depth of flavor from the oil and salt. This isn’t a stewy stick-to-your ribs kale braise and it is not something you eat because you ought to, it’s something you’d eat because you like it. Revolutionary stuff, people."

Its also super easy. De-stem the kale, cut or tear it up, toss it with a bit of oil and bake it until crisp. Voila...you cant eat just one.

Need another reason to dive into this? Check out the superfood benefits: Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, and reasonably rich in calcium. Kale, as with broccoli and other brassicas, contains sulforaphane (particularly when chopped or minced), a chemical with potent anti-cancer properties. Along with other brassica vegetables, kale is also a source of indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells. Kale is also a good source of carotenoids

Ingredients
1 bunch kale (lehtikaali) (if you want to get technical, its about 12 large Tuscan kale leaves)
2 tsp up to 1 tablespoon olive oil (I add oil to a spray bottle to completely cover the leaves without making too oily)
1 teaspoon sea salt
Ground black pepper and Herbamare/ Mrs Dash spices to taste

Directions
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. If washing, you MUST dry them before cooking. Either with a salad spinner or a towel.
3. With a knife or kitchen shears, remove the kale leaves from their tough end and inner stems. Cut longer leaves in half or preferred bite size pieces
4. Spray (recommended) or drizzle kale with olive oil . Some people but the kale in a ziplock bag and add oil there to "massage" the leaves and ensure they are covered. Note that too much oil will make the chips too limp and greasy, so dont overdo it. 1 TB is max.
5. If adding other spices or vinegar, add now. (Do NOT add salt yet.
6. Bake for 10-14 minutes or until crisp. The timing all depends on how much olive oil you use. Just use a spatula or tongs to touch the leaves, if they are paper-thin crackly, the kale is done. If the leaves are still a bit soft, leave them in for another 2 minutes. Do not let the leaves turn brown (they'll be burnt and bitter)

IMPORTANT NOTE! They will burn easy, be aware of how they are baking.

7. Sprinkle with sea salt AFTER cooking. You can add it before, but I find its better after roasting. (The salt won't leech out the moisture from the leaves too quickly...letting it crisp more evenly. Or so I've been told.)

Variations:
Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips:
Add 1 tsp to up to 1 TB vinegar when adding the oil. (You can also add both oil and vinegar to the sprayer at the same time for an evenly coated taste. I used about 2 tsp. Just make sure no liquid pools under the kale when cooking, though, or it will get soggy.)

Spicy Kale Chips:
Add about 1 tablespoon of chili flakes (or to taste) & sprinkling of paprika or cheyenne pepper power

Cajun Kale Chips:
Add Cajun or Creole seasoning.

Another tip for the rest of the family NOT on IP:
Make a batch of popcorn, then add finely crushed kale chips and stir. Easy way to get your kids to eat their greens without freaking them out. (A dash of parmesan + kale to the popcorn makes this a great treat for parties.)

Last edited by FinnSteven; 11-16-2011 at 01:27 AM.
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote