Ideal Protein recipes & pix from Finland

You're on Page 17 of 29
Go to
  • Foods from Finland
    OMG, you do indeed make your meals looks VERY tasty and appealing! I am definitely going to try your recipes. I once read that it is the presentation of a meal that means more than the taste. While it may be "diet", it sure doesn't need to look like anyone is being deprived. Thanks for the postings.
  • Chips and Salsa!!!
    "CHIPS" & SALSA:

You're gonna love this....REALLY love this.

You'll be surprized how satisfying subsituting cucumber slices for tortilla chips is. Great crunch, fresh taste. This is easy to make and can be used in many ways. You can also personalize this by playing with the spices and making it hotter or milder to your taste.

This is another one that looks intimidating, but its really just slicing cumcumbers, chopping the peppers and adding them to a pan, adding the canned tomatoes and spooning onto the "chips." Super easy and something the entire family can enjoy. My wife said she now prefers this to tortilla chips. And I actually believe her!

Ingredients:
    1 or more firm, large cucumbers, sliced.
    4 tsp to 1 TB olive oil. (I use a little over 3... just to coat the pan.)
    1 - 2 bell peppers any color (I use a small orange and a small yellow pepper for color)
    1 can (about 400g) chopped tomatoes (sugar-free!). (I use S&W Premium Petite Cut Tomatoes with Jalepeno. http://www.goodguide.com/products/29...ium-petite-cut)
    1/2 tsp cumin (crushed/ cumin powder)
    2 tsp coriander (fresh or dry)
    1/2 to 1 tsp garlic powder or fresh chopped garlic
    sea salt & black pepper to taste
    1 to 2 packets of Splenda, Truvia, or other approved sweetener
    Raw onion (Amount is up to you... red or white. Frozen or fresh.) I use about 1/4 cup frozen but could be more or less or none

Optional: 2-6 dashes of Tabasco
    Optional: 1-2 tsp Italian Herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, marjorum)
    Optional: about 6-8 chopped Jalepeno slices (I use from a jar and also add in up to 1 TB of the jalepeno juice. Makes it devilishly spicy.)
    Optional: Additional chopped fresh tomatoes
    Optional: Squirt of lemon or lime juice

Directions
    1. Chop and dice peppers onions and jalepenos (if using). Slice cucumbers into "chips". Should be thick enough to hold a dollop of salsa, but not so thick you choke on it. I slice pretty thin.
    2. Pour oil in pan and start to heat.
    3. Add spices to oil (garlic, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, any other herbs)
    4. Add chopped peppers and jalepenos (and juice if using) and stir. Cook until the desired softness. Usually until tender.
    5. Add the can of chopped tomatoes (and additional fresh tomatoes if using).
    6. Sprinkle on sweetener and stir.
    7. About 2 minutes before removing from heat, add in onion.
    8. Stir. Taste. Add any additional spices, salt, pepper, etc until its the way you like it. Remove from heat.
    9. Squirt with lemon or lime juice and tabasco if using (I use lime instead of lemon, but be aware that doesnt seem to be in the official IP seasonings.)
    10. I also sprinkle with frozen (or fresh) coriander and basil flakes. I find it gives it
    a really fresh kick and makes a difference.

Spoon onto the cucumber slices and enjoy.

I really love this hot off the stove (yes, really) on cool cucumber slices. Traditionally, you chill it first, but its exceptional warm!

I also put this in a container and use on other recipes like a salsa meatloaf or tostado (Recipes coming later.) Remember that the tomato is a restricted ingredent, so if you dont have anyone to share this with, watch how much you make. It keeps well for about 1 week in the fridge.

Be creative with the spices you add.
    I have made this with and without both garlic and onion and made it with more and less sweetener. All are delicious.
    Taco Attack: Add taco seasoning (without sugar)
    Thai: Add lemongrass, ginger, sesame seeds for an unusual, but excellent jolt. (The ginger and lemongrass really zing)
    Cocktail Sauce: Add 1 TB white vinegar, 1/2 to 1 TB horseradish (I use from a tube), and 2 tsp lemon juice. This is also really great topping a bed of lettuce & a scoop of tuna salad (see other recipe)
  • I am heading out to the grocery store to get some of the ingredients!! Are you putting together all your creations into a recipe book. If not, you should be talking to a publisher as we speak because you definitely have what it takes to make a terrific book to sell. Thanks for sharing them with us.
  • Something went terribly wrong with my waffles. They were paper thin and really stuck to my waffle iron, even though I did spray with nonstick spray. I am thinking of adding just a small bit of olive oil to the batter.
  • And also....how stiff do I beat the egg whites. Very stiff like meringue?
  • Molly, turn back a page and you should find the answer:

Click Here for Tips if Your Waffles Dont Turn Out

In summary:
    1. Make sure your waffle iron isnt too hot.
    2. Only use 2oz (50ml) water for the first batch....after you make great waffles, then you can play with the recipe more later.
    3. Egg Whites shouldnt matter, but others recommend not beating until stiff, but just beating well in case too stiff might be the problem (although I dont think it is!)
    4. Make sure your baking soda is fresh.
    5. Let the batter sit for about 5 min so the baking powder/soda has time to inflate the batter.
    6. Dont use Stevia when you try again. Although it shouldnt make a difference, at least in other recipes, Stevia powder demolished my egg whites. Try once batch without the extra sweetener.

That should fix it. We have had so many people comment on perfect waffles that I had to go back to the kitchen to figure out how to make an "bad" airy batch to see what could have gone wrong.

Hope that works for you... this is my new favourite!
  • Quote: Are you putting together all your creations into a recipe book.
    Thanks.

I was planning to compile most of the recipes into a pdf file and offer as a free download with a paypal link to let people donate a few dollars or what they can afford if they like it.

That way, everyone has a chance to get it and its easy to update by replacing the file if I get feedback to improve or clarify a recipe. (Like the Waffles which I thought were bulletproof, but appear to need a few more tips to make sure everyone can make foolproof awesomeness.) And if money is tight, someone can download immediately and donate something later when they have a few bucks.

Everybody wins!
  • Burritos (well technically a tostada crepe) (IP Omlette)
    BURRITO (IP Omlette): For breakfast, lunch or dinner. The omlette becomes a tortilla to roll up a delicious blend of salsa & salad. This and the waffels (+ waffle sandwich) are new favourites.

Ingredients:
    1 packet IP Omlette
    Approx 300 ml water (or less) (10 oz. This is 2x recommended amount)
    1 tsp or more herbs (basil, oregano, thyme) or sugar-free taco spices
    1-2 tsp olive oil

Salsa (Click for Phase 1 recipe Here)
    Chopped/Shredded Lettuce (I use iceberg chopped. Makes a nice crunch.)
    Optional: Sprouts

Directions:
    1. Add IP Omlette packet to 300 ml (10oz) cold water and mix well
    2. Add 1 tsp or more herbs.
    3. Add oil to pan on med-heat heat. Let heat fully.
    4. Pour 1/2 of omlette mix to pan and swirl until it fills the full pan. (Should be thin.)
    5. Let cook well, lifting the sides as it cooks to make it easier to flip when done cooking. Should be crepe consistency.
    6. Flip and finish cooking. Take from pan and make the second "tortilla".
    (Note, if you accidentally tear your tortilla, dont worry. It still tastes great as a tostada... just pile the topping on top instead of rolling inside)
    7. To one side of the tortilla, add lettuce, salsa, and any other filling as desired (I often use sprouts)
    8. Roll up and make the second one. You can top with salsa and a sprig of parsley if the spirit of Martha Stewart possesses you.

You can also dash with Tabasco or other hot sauce for heat.

Eat and enjoy!

(PS for those wondering... my clinic doesnt carry the crepes. I am sure you could make this with the crepe package as well, but I have to say that I love the egg "tortilla" a lot)
  • Quote: BANANA BREAD (IP Banana Pudding):
    Stretch your pudding and create a tasty snack that makes 9 medium or 6 large portions... All for you and all together count as only 1 non-restricted item!

Ingredients:
    2 beaten egg whites
    1 Package IP Banana Pudding
    1 cup or more shredded zucchini
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 small package Truvia, Splenda or other sweetener (about 1 tsp)
    1 tsp or more cinnamon
    1/2 tsp or more cardamom
    1/4 teaspoon allspice
    1/4 - 1 tsp nutmeg
    Optional: 1 tsp Rum extract and/or vanilla extract
    Optional: Yellow food coloring (if you are sensitive about food looking more Banana-y. I dont use it)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 180 C (bout 350 F)
    1. Grate zucchini (I use 1/2 a large zucchini for about 1-1.5 cups). Use a paper towel to soak up the moisture/water from the zucchini.
    2. Dust the shredded zucchini with the various spices (cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, nutmeg) and let sit for about 2 minutes.
    3. While waiting, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold a shape.
    4. Add in IP Banana pudding, baking powder, and sweetener. Blend.
    5. Add in zucchini and rum/vanilla extract if using and blend.
    6. Spray a muffin tin with Pam or other non-stick spray.
    7. Pour batter into muffin tins. I made 9 med size filling each 1/2 way up. It will also make 6 large if you want.
    8. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until top turns dark, but not burned. (Watch carefully).

NOTE: This "bread" will puff up gorgeously when baking, but will often deflate after taking from the oven. You can try cooking a bit longer or just enjoy the funny looking, but tasty treats as they fall. ("Fallen" bread is in the picture.)

This recipe will also work with Chocolate IP Pudding.

MORE NOTES:
    I have to admit that I really dislike the Banana Pudding by itself, so looked for a way to re-imagine it in a way I would enjoy. I would absolutely make this recipe again.

I have previously posted a recipe for cupcakes which are ok, but not my favourite. This version is quite a bit better. Believe it or not, the zucchini gives it much more body as well as increases your portions dramatically. It also transforms into a delicious taste when the spices are added and it bakes. The Truvia sweetener is also a revelation in these, because it takes away the slightly chalky flavor of the pudding and makes it taste much better.

Lastly, I am from Finland, where Cardamom is King, so I am biased... but I think the taste and texture that spice gives really improves the overall banana taste. But you can make it without the cardamom as well if you dont have any.

just out of curiosity, why is this a restricted item?
  • Quote: just out of curiosity, why is this a restricted item?
    Its NON-restricted!

the break of the line separated "non-" and "restricted", but this one allows you to have a sweet treat and still get your bar, soy puffs, ridges, chili, or oatmeal as well.

the only problem I have with this recipe is that it looks funny because it falls (not muffin consistency) but the taste is really good. So almost every time I make them, I get disappointed when I see them on the plate, then happy I made them when I pop them in my mouth. haha!
  • SAVORY HOLIDAY CUPCAKES (or How to Make Your Leftovers Awesome)
    SAVORY HOLIDAY CUPCAKES (or How to Make Your Leftovers Awesome): If you have an Ideal Protein friendly holiday feast, your leftovers can be transformed into equally delicious appetizers.

Ingredients:
    Meat (Turkey, Ham, Chicken or combination of any (cubed))
    1 can diced green chilies (mild) (I use Ortego brand)
    1 egg beaten (You can use either 1 whole egg or 2 egg whites)
    Herbs to taste (I use 2 tsp Italian Herbs (Basil, Oregano, Marjorum, Thyme)
    Additional vegetables if desired (Chopped bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, cooked turnip, etc)
    Sea Salt + Pepper

Topping: Mashed Cauliflower or Mashed Cauliflower + Broccoli
    (Recipe Link Click Here )
    Cherry tomatoes (halved) and / or diced cucumber.

Directions:
    1. Preheat over to 200 C.
    2. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake paper. This will make the appetizers much easier to take out and eat than if you just spray with non-stick cooking spray. Trust me.
    3. In a bowl, add your meat, chilies, herbs, salt/pepper, and any other vegetables.
    (If you have multiple meats, you may want to separate them for different tasting appetizers. Or add them all together. You choose.)
    4. Add in beaten egg (or beaten egg whites). If you have a lot of meat and veggies and you feel there isnt enough of the liquid, add 1 more egg or white. You dont need a lot, but its what will help the meat stay together.
    5. Scoop the mixture into the cupcake tin about 1/2 to 3/4 full.
    6. Top all but 1 of the savory cupcakes with the mashed cauliflower.
    (This is to more easily tell if they are cooked well. Not a mandatory step.)
    7. Bake for 10-15 minutes depending on your oven. The uncovered savory cupcake should look firm.

Serve hot or cold.

Note, you can make this without the egg if you mix the meat and other ingredients with the mashed cauliflower. You will need to cook it a bit longer and it wont really set up solid, but its also very good
  • Waffle Sandwiches
    WAFFLE SANDWICH (IP Soup or IP Pudding): If you love the waffle recipe previously posted, the creator Kat (kd1034) has another variation. For a savory new take on a sandwich, use the waffle as the bread. You can make with the IP puddings if you like a slightly sweet flavor or with the IP soup for a more traditional taste.

Ingredients:
    1 IP SoupPacket (I used chicken and really liked it. You can also use IP Pudding. Lemon is my favourite pudding for this, but most likely will continue using soup for the savory and pudding for regular waffles.)
    2 beaten egg whites
    Approx 2 oz of water
    Pinch of baking powder
    Pinch of sea salt
    Optional: Herbs (I add in thyme or rosemary to the chicken soup. I add italian herbs like basil, oregano to the lemon pudding)

Directions:
    1. Pre-heat waffle iron.
    2. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt.
    3. Except for the water, mix all other ingredients.
    4. Add water a little at a time. The batter should not be runny at all...very thick. I have found adding too much water may make the waffles too thin and be "just crust with air in the middle". So use just 2oz the first time you make this, then you can add a little more later if desired.
    5. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter to each side of the waffle iron. This will puff up a lot, so be sure you dont have too much on or it will run off the sides. (If it does, just scoop out for another batch)
    6. Cook for 3-5 min (depending on your iron.) Should make 3-4 normal size waffles, depending on how much water you added.
    7. You can either use two pieces for a sandwich or make open faced sandwiches. I like the open faced because you end up getting a bigger portion of vegetables.

I add WF 1000 island to the waffle, then top with shredded iceburg lettuce, sprouts, and homemade salsa.

You can add some meat protein to this, but I personally rarely mix my IP packets with the meat just because I dont want to combine two meals into one. However, you can use less meat protein for your dinner and use part of that here if you want a chicken/ ham/ turky sandwich.

Click Here for Salsa Recipe

TIPS when making them the first time:
    1) Use the amount of water specified (2 oz... 50ml)
    2) Make sure waffle iron is not too high
    3) Use a smaller scoop then you think you need when adding the batter. It WILL puff up and spill over if you put too much on.
    4) Let the batter set for about 5 min to allow time for the baking powder/soda to react

Then you should be successful every time.

If you waffle is "just air and crust" its not the way it should be. Should look like a real waffle, although obviously not as heavy.
  • the Banana Zucc Bread is AMAZING!!!! it felt like I was cheating. I added some sugar free hazlenut syrup. thanks for all the receipes.
  • Rosemary Chicken Soup (IP Chicken Soup)
    ROSEMARY CHICKEN SOUP (IP Chicken Soup):
    The rich chicken flavor with creamy pureed cauliflower, crunchy onions, and herb goodness of the rosemary make this taste like you are feasting on roast chicken, mashed potatoes, and veggies. Very thick and filling. (And since you have doubled the water content, the portion is huge.)

Reminder that blending roasted cauliflower (and/or broccoli) to your IP soups will greatly improve the flavor and portions for a thick, creamy, satisfying meal that's easy to take with you to microwave at work. .

Ingredients:
    1 Packet IP Chicken Soup
    1 bag frozen cauliflower (or fresh)
    sea salt & pepper
    1/8 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder (to taste)
    2 tsp or more dried rosemary (its a strong taste, so add more or less to your palette)
    Optional: Chopped raw onions
    2 tsp olive oil

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 210 C (410 F). Line a baking pan with baking paper and place cauliflower on it. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and rosemary. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until roasted.
    2. In a blender or food processor, add 16 oz/ 2 cups/ 4.5 dl of cold water and the packet of soup mix. Blend. Add in any additional spices such as the garlic.
    3. When cooked, take out cauliflower and blend until creamy. (In a blender, you may need to start/stop and mix a bit in order to get it to churn. Its a tiny effort, but well worth it.
    4. When desired consistency, taste and add more salt, spices (chili powder, rosepepper, white pepper, thyme etc) as desired.
    5. Add raw onions and heat in microwave safe bowl. (Make sure its not filled too full or it may bubble over.)
    6. If eating later, put in refrigerator and heat when ready.
    7. When ready to eat, heat in microwave for about 2 1/2 minutes until hot.

As noted above, this is also excellent using a mix of cauliflower and brocolli. You can boil the vegetables, but it does lose a little of the taste of a pan roasted chicken and veggies.

I have also added 1/2 to 1 tsp of horseradish (in a tube) and Indian Chili powder to this for a bit more kick. I have also made with and without onions. I love the crunch, but it does wreck havoc on your breath. ou can also add slided mushrooms as well.

I have also tried adding subsituted Turmeric Powder & Thyme instead of the Rosemary for a different taste as well as a great golden glow.

Really a perfect meal to get the taste of a holiday feast without using your meat protein. (And yes, if you have cubed cooked chicken in your fridge you can add it, but I usually dont mix the meat protein with the IP packets...just because I dont think it needs it and want to save my meat for the full meal later.)
  • Italian Soda (Torani / Da Vinci Sugar-Free Syrups)
    ITALIAN SODAS: Many readers of this site use the wonderful sugar-free syrups to flavor shakes, puddings, coffee and more, but have you used it to make an Italian Soda? Indulge in this great treat and experiment with a variety of flavors... without the guilt.

Ingredients:
    8oz Sparkling Water or Club Soda
    Ice (Crushed or Cubes)
    1 TB (more or less to taste) of your favourite Sugar-Free Syrup (Da Vinci/ Torani)
    Optional: 1 oz Milk (from your morning allowance)

Directions:
    1. Add ice cubes to a tall glass
    2. Pour in your choice of Sugar-free flavored syrup
    3. Add sparkling water or club soda
    4. Add milk if desired.

NOTE: Although most sugar-free syrups are carb-free, be sure to check the label! There are a couple of flavors which do have carbs.

The sugar-free syrups should be free to use in many recipes such as additions to shakes, puddings, jell-o, or even as a topping for pancakes.

Some coaches allow use of 1 oz sugar-free whipped cream instead of the milk. I do not use it. (logic is that its ok for Atkins and will not negatively affect your ketosis, but its not recommended for Phase 1 Ideal Protein)

There is another thread on this board where folks list their favourite (and NOT favourite) flavors. CLICK HERE to read more opinions about the flavors and brands.

Examples of Sugar-Free Flavors:
    Torani:

• Sugar Free Almond RocaŽ syrup
    • Sugar Free Almond syrup
    • Sugar Free Black Cherry syrup
    • Sugar Free Brown Sugar Cinnamon syrup
    • Sugar Free Caramel syrup
    • Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough syrup
    • Sugar Free Chocolate Macadamia Nut syrup
    • Sugar Free Chocolate syrup
    • Sugar Free Classic Caramel syrup
    • Sugar Free Classic Hazelnut syrup
    • Sugar Free Coconut syrup
    • Sugar Free Coffee syrup
    • Sugar Free English Toffee syrup
    Sugar Free French Vanilla syrup
    • Sugar Free Gingerbread syrup
    • Sugar Free Hazelnut syrup
    • Sugar Free Irish Cream syrup
    • Sugar Free Lemon syrup
    • Sugar Free Lime syrup
    • Sugar Free Mango syrup
    • Sugar Free Orange syrup
    • Sugar Free Peach syrup
    • Sugar Free Peanut Butter syrup
    • Sugar Free Peppermint syrup
    • Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie syrup
    • Sugar Free Raspberry syrup
    • Sugar Free Salted Caramel syrup
    • Sugar Free Strawberry syrup
    • Sugar Free Sweetener syrup
    • Sugar Free Vanilla Bean syrup
    • Sugar Free Vanilla syrup
    • Sugar Free Watermelon syrup
    • Sugar Free White Chocolate syrup

Da Vinci
    • Almond Sugar Free Syrup
    • Amaretto Sugar Free Syrup
    • B-52 Sugar Free Syrup
    • Banana Sugar Free Syrup
    • Blueberry Sugar Free Syrup
    • Butter Rum Sugar Free Syrup
    • Butterscotch Sugar Free Syrup
    • Caramel Sugar Free Syrup
    • Cherry Sugar Free Syrup
    • Chocolate Sugar Free Syrup
    • Cinnamon Sugar Free Syrup
    • Coconut Sugar Free Syrup
    • Cookie Dough Sugar Free Syrup
    • Creme de Menthe Sugar Free Syrup
    • Dulce de Leche Sugar Free Syrup
    • Egg Nog Sugar Free Syrup
    • English Toffee Sugar Free Syrup
    • French Vanilla Sugar Free Syrup
    • German Chocolate Cake Sugar Free Syrup
    • Gingerbread Sugar Free Syrup
    • Hazelnut (Original) Sugar Free Syrup (Untoasted)
    • Hazelnut Sugar Free Flavored Syrup (Toasted)
    • Huckleberry Sugar Free Syrup
    • Irish Cream Sugar Free Syrup
    • KAHLUAŽ Flavored Sugar Free Syrup
    • Lime Sugar Free Syrup
    • Macadamia Nut Sugar Free Syrup
    • Orange Sugar Free Syrup
    • Pancake Sugar Free Syrup
    • Peach Sugar Free Syrup
    • Peanut Butter Sugar Free Syrup
    • Peppermint Paddy Sugar Free Syrup
    • Peppermint Sugar Free Syrup
    • Pineapple Sugar Free Syrup