Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #16  

Height: 5'4"

The more I read about coffee the more I find that it does good things rather than bad.

Brewed coffee has, at most, 2 calories per 8 oz cup. In addition, studies have shown that drinking black coffee increases your metabolism, and so it's possible that coffee may actually help you lose weight.
•The caffeine boosts your mood and increases your intellectual activity when you’re fatigued – so have a cup ‘o joe before your next big test!
•Coffee helps protect against cirrhosis of the live, and it has a positive effect against colon cancer.
•It lowers the risk of dementia in the elderly.
•Coffee has 4 times the anti-oxidants of green tea!
•Coffee may be linked to reduced incidences of kidney stones, bladder cancer in smokers, and type 2 diabetes.
•The FDA considers caffeine to be “generally recognized as safe”.
•Approximately 3 cups of coffee contains about 5 grams of fiber.

Less is ok but more can be harmful.

I think I will stick with it as long as it works for me.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 326.8/see sig/190

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations on the loss
bludolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 201/192/160

Height: 5' 5.5"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAboutTime View Post
Great loss! I find I stay full longer if I have my shake in coffee. Why do you think the no coffee thing helped? Maybe I should try it.
Hi,

According to my coach (a doctor), even though when I was drinking coffee, it was only 1.5 cups and half decaffeinated, it made a difference for me probably because my body reacts differently to the different sources of the caffeine. She says that tea's caffeine source is theobromine. I don't know where exactly it comes from in the coffee but evidently I metabolize it differently. The other thing she said is that coffee stimulates the release of insulin, which makes sense that when I drink it, it makes me hungry.

I'm not saying that I'm never going to drink it again. Coffee, I believe, is relatively harmless for most people and I do like the "lift" and clarity it gives me. I am just making the decision not to drink it until I get to phase 4 and then see if I can handle it then.

Karen

Last edited by karenfromtexas; 08-19-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: left something out by mistake
karenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 171.8/155.8/145

Height: 5'8"

Thank you Karen. That makes alot of sense. I am going to try that.
Wildcatinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #20  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAboutTime View Post
Great loss! I find I stay full longer if I have my shake in coffee. Why do you think the no coffee thing helped? Maybe I should try it.

I recently did a google search on effects of caffeine. Here are somethings I clipped to share with my dad.

"Although caffeine is included as an ingredient in many weight-loss aids, it actually stimulates appetite, and organizations including the Mayo Clinic (Mayo Clinic, 2003) discourage the use of caffeine as a weight-loss aid. Initially, caffeine may decrease appetite through its central nervous system response. However subsequently, higher levels of cortisol caused by caffeine consumption stimulate appetite. (Takeda et al, 2004) (Epel et al, 2001)

Caffeine triggers hypoglycemia through the activation of the sympathetic nervous system and the adrenal glands, causing an immediate and sustained constriction of blood vessels, decreased circulation to the brain and a heightened feeling of low blood sugar. (Kerr et al, 1993)

The body’s reaction to hypoglycemia results in food cravings and increased appetite. People often crave higher fat foods resulting in increased caloric intake, further interfering with the body’s ability to maintain a healthy weight (Strachen et al, 2004) (Dewan et al, 2004)"

Dewan, S., Gillett, A., Mugarza, J.A., Dovey, T.M., Halford, J.C. and Wilding, J.P. 2004. Effects of insulin-induced hypoglycaemia on energy intake and food choice at a subsequent test meal. Diabetes/metabolism research and reviews. 20(5):405-10.

Epel, E., Lapidus, R., McEwen, B. and Brownell, K. 2001. Stress may add bite to appetite in women: a laboratory study of stress-induced cortisol and eating behavior. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 26(1):37-49.

Kerr, D., Sherwin, R.S., Pavalkis, F., Fayad, P.B., Sikorski, L., Rife, F., Tamborlane, W.V. and During, M.J. 1993. Effect of caffeine on the recognition of and responses to hypoglycemia in humans. Annals of Internal Medicine. 119(8):799-804.

Lane, J.D., Pieper, C.F., Phillips-Bute, B.G., Bryant, J.E. and Kuhn, C.M. 2002. Caffeine affects cardiovascular and neuroendocrine activation at work and home. Psychosomatic Medicine. 64(4):595-603.

Mayo Clinic Foundation for Medical Education and Research. May 27, 2003.

Quinlan, P.T., Lane, J., Moore, K.L., Aspen, J., Rycroft, J.A. and O'Brien, D.C. 2000. The acute physiological and mood effects of tea and coffee: the role of caffeine level. Pharmacology, biochemistry, and behavior. 66(1):19-28.

Strachan, M.W., Ewing, F.M., Frier, B.M., Harper, A. and Deary, I.J. 2004. Food cravings during acute hypoglycaemia in adults with Type 1 diabetes. Physiology and Behavior. 80(5):675-82.

Takeda, E., Terao, J., Nakaya, Y., Miyamoto, K., Baba, Y., Chuman, H., Kaji, R., Ohmori, T. and Rokutan, K. 2004. Stress control and human nutrition. Journal of Medical Investigation. 51(3-4): 139-45.

To be fair, I did find an article that related to type 1 diabetes that had a different opinion related to the impact of caffeine on nocturnal hypoglycemia.

It states,
"A small study regarding type 1 diabetes published in the journal Diabetes Care investigated the effect of caffeine on hypoglycemia, the condition of low blood sugar levels which can cause people to feel weak, disoriented, and in some cases, can lead to loss of consciousness or seizures.

Researchers in the United Kingdom examined 19 people with long-standing type 1 diabetes. They first put them on a low caffeine diet of less than 50 mg of caffeine a day followed by two weeks in which they either took two 250 mg caffeine capsules twice a day or placebo capsules. The blood sugar levels of the patients were closely monitored.

Results showed that at night, the amount of time those who took the caffeine supplement experienced hypoglycemia was 49 minutes, whereas with the placebo, it was 132 minutes.

"Our results suggest that caffeine is associated with a significant reduction in nocturnal hypoglycemia," noted the authors.

Lead investigator Dr. Tristan Richardson said, "The use of caffeine may be one option worth trying in an attempt to reduce the frequency and length of hypoglycemia."

Richardson also said that although the caffeine connection to hypoglycemia is not scientifically clear, it may be related to the affect caffeine is known to have on people's sleep."

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/28/6/1316.full

I don't recall at what time they took the caffeine prior to having the sleep improvement.

I know several people have commented that the lose better without coffee or slowed down when they added coffee.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #21  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post

I recently did a google search on effects of caffeine. Here are somethings I clipped to share with my dad.

"Although caffeine is included as an ingredient in many weight-loss aids, it actually stimulates appetite, and organizations including the Mayo Clinic (Mayo Clinic, 2003) discourage the use of caffeine as a weight-loss aid. Initially, caffeine may decrease appetite through its central nervous system response. However subsequently, higher levels of cortisol caused by caffeine consumption stimulate appetite. (Takeda et al, 2004) (Epel et al, 2001)

Caffeine triggers hypoglycemia through the activation of the sympathetic nervous system and the adrenal glands, causing an immediate and sustained constriction of blood vessels, decreased circulation to the brain and a heightened feeling of low blood sugar. (Kerr et al, 1993)

The body’s reaction to hypoglycemia results in food cravings and increased appetite. People often crave higher fat foods resulting in increased caloric intake, further interfering with the body’s ability to maintain a healthy weight (Strachen et al, 2004) (Dewan et al, 2004)"

Dewan, S., Gillett, A., Mugarza, J.A., Dovey, T.M., Halford, J.C. and Wilding, J.P. 2004. Effects of insulin-induced hypoglycaemia on energy intake and food choice at a subsequent test meal. Diabetes/metabolism research and reviews. 20(5):405-10.

Epel, E., Lapidus, R., McEwen, B. and Brownell, K. 2001. Stress may add bite to appetite in women: a laboratory study of stress-induced cortisol and eating behavior. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 26(1):37-49.

Kerr, D., Sherwin, R.S., Pavalkis, F., Fayad, P.B., Sikorski, L., Rife, F., Tamborlane, W.V. and During, M.J. 1993. Effect of caffeine on the recognition of and responses to hypoglycemia in humans. Annals of Internal Medicine. 119(8):799-804.

Lane, J.D., Pieper, C.F., Phillips-Bute, B.G., Bryant, J.E. and Kuhn, C.M. 2002. Caffeine affects cardiovascular and neuroendocrine activation at work and home. Psychosomatic Medicine. 64(4):595-603.

Mayo Clinic Foundation for Medical Education and Research. May 27, 2003.

Quinlan, P.T., Lane, J., Moore, K.L., Aspen, J., Rycroft, J.A. and O'Brien, D.C. 2000. The acute physiological and mood effects of tea and coffee: the role of caffeine level. Pharmacology, biochemistry, and behavior. 66(1):19-28.

Strachan, M.W., Ewing, F.M., Frier, B.M., Harper, A. and Deary, I.J. 2004. Food cravings during acute hypoglycaemia in adults with Type 1 diabetes. Physiology and Behavior. 80(5):675-82.

Takeda, E., Terao, J., Nakaya, Y., Miyamoto, K., Baba, Y., Chuman, H., Kaji, R., Ohmori, T. and Rokutan, K. 2004. Stress control and human nutrition. Journal of Medical Investigation. 51(3-4): 139-45.

To be fair, I did find an article that related to type 1 diabetes that had a different opinion related to the impact of caffeine on nocturnal hypoglycemia.

It states,
"A small study regarding type 1 diabetes published in the journal Diabetes Care investigated the effect of caffeine on hypoglycemia, the condition of low blood sugar levels which can cause people to feel weak, disoriented, and in some cases, can lead to loss of consciousness or seizures.

Researchers in the United Kingdom examined 19 people with long-standing type 1 diabetes. They first put them on a low caffeine diet of less than 50 mg of caffeine a day followed by two weeks in which they either took two 250 mg caffeine capsules twice a day or placebo capsules. The blood sugar levels of the patients were closely monitored.

Results showed that at night, the amount of time those who took the caffeine supplement experienced hypoglycemia was 49 minutes, whereas with the placebo, it was 132 minutes.

"Our results suggest that caffeine is associated with a significant reduction in nocturnal hypoglycemia," noted the authors.

Lead investigator Dr. Tristan Richardson said, "The use of caffeine may be one option worth trying in an attempt to reduce the frequency and length of hypoglycemia."

Richardson also said that although the caffeine connection to hypoglycemia is not scientifically clear, it may be related to the affect caffeine is known to have on people's sleep."

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/28/6/1316.full

I don't recall at what time they took the caffeine prior to having the sleep improvement.

I know several people have commented that the lose better without coffee or slowed down when they added coffee.
Hmm. None of the cravings or hunger ones apply to me but that may be because of the shake. Like I said, if it slows me down, I'll stop. AS for now, I will keep drinking it.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #22  

What timely information for me as I have not lost any weight this week and there is no reason why I should not have lost. My new goal is to lose another 30 pounds, so I am in now way close to my goal. Time for some changes.
This week, I will
1. not drink coffee
2. not drink coach approved flavored beverages (Sparkling Ice and Nestea Zero)
3. Replace my restricted protien with a non restricted protien

I will let you know how that goes. Have a great week everyone!

Last edited by SaskDragonfly; 08-20-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo
SaskDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #23  
Jocey

S/C/G: (191)...171/151.5/145

Height: 5"4"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
Great job! I too notice better losses when I:

1). Don't drink any coffee
2). Don't use any Mio or water enhancers
3). Don't use any WF products
I have been stalled for two weeks and finally lost one and a half pounds. I never thought about giving up coffee but I know I drink flavored water with artificial sweeteners, not aspartame. I will give it up and drink carbonated water instead. It makes me feel full. Thanks for the hint.
Jazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #24  

I just found this MIO.... and I am totally in love with the stuff!! IT SO brightened my life, and I have been drinking it really a lot in my h20. I am now concerned that my JOY is short lived. Do you think it stalls weight loss? I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Was it too good to be true? sigh...
tjlhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #25  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhj View Post
I just found this MIO.... and I am totally in love with the stuff!! IT SO brightened my life, and I have been drinking it really a lot in my h20. I am now concerned that my JOY is short lived. Do you think it stalls weight loss? I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Was it too good to be true? sigh...
I drink it everyday in my H2O and it has not changed my weightloss, if you find it does stop it for a week or so and see if your weight loss starts to drop again. Sometimes you have to experiment with things to see if they are right or wrong for you.
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Some of us are a lot more sensitive to things like artificial sugar, caffeine, etc... If your losses are not effected by drinking coffee, using Walden Farms or water enhancers, then by all means, keep on using them. They are technically IP approved. But there are some of us out there who notice slower losses when we eat / drink these items. You just have to experiment and see how YOUR body reacts.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #27  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
Some of us are a lot more sensitive to things like artificial sugar, caffeine, etc... If your losses are not effected by drinking coffee, using Walden Farms or water enhancers, then by all means, keep on using them. They are technically IP approved. But there are some of us out there who notice slower losses when we eat / drink these items. You just have to experiment and see how YOUR body reacts.
Perfectly said!
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote