Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'11"

Wow. Sounds like everyone has been having a few rough days. I had a couple of small cheats last week during my first really rough TOM on IP. I feel extra sorry now for all of you ladies who have had these issues every month on IP.
I know I won't have much loss this week, but I'm feeling so much better today anyway. WI isn't until Wednesday. Even a single pound lost will make me happy. I had a Vanilla RTD for breakfast and a vanilla peanut bar for lunch. I'm off work here shortly (no daycare this afternoon), and I'll grab a quick salad. Tonight for dinner I'm going to keep it super simple - soft boiled eggs and a spinach salad, vanilla pudding for snack. I know I said I would do bootcamp after cheating, but I had to be on the go a lot today, and a bar was just more convenient.
Just have to say, I love being able to wear dresses again without feeling self conscious about my chubby knees!! Boy are my legs ghostly white, lol! Today I'm going to break down and buy a digital scale and probably some self tanner!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #47  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan kay View Post
Having been OP for nine weeks, I weighed at 162.8 this morning, which is 22.2 pounds less than what I was nine weeks ago.

For a small emotional milestone, I wanted to be 159 today. For one, today marks the eighth anniversary for DH and me. And I have been using 5 percent reduction of my weight as each of the small goals. It took two weeks for the first five percent; 33 days, including eleven days on a modified Atkins/IP diet, for the next five percent; and it would have been great if in less than three weeks I stepped down to the next rung. For I was like clockwork and religiously OP!!!

Oh well.
I am grateful to IP but it is a bit dispiriting to think that how hard I may try, 2.5 pounds a week seems to be the best I can aim at.

I may be lucky to reach Phase 2 by Christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
TexanKay,

We are in the same boat! I am doing everything I can, but I don't come anywhere near the average of 3-5 lbs. other than at the beginning. So, I am sucking it up and moving forward. Congrats on your journey thus far and Happy Anniversary.

You are both doing phase 1 right? Are you doing it with or with out restricted products? Are you allowing any dairy other than the 1 oz of skim milk in the morning? Are you using the 5oz of meat and 7oz of fish or are you using the new 5 to 8 ounce of anything guideline?

I only ask because the guideline of losses averaging (over the whole total weight you lose) of 3 to 5 pounds a week was based on a much more rigid program (IMHO).

Back then, you could have no restricted foods until you were at 90 to 100% of your weight loss goal. You could have occasional veggies only after week 3. You could not have any cheese as a substitute for milk. You could only have salmon or tuna 1x per week. AND, your meat/poultry portions were 5oz PREcooked.

The result was a much lower calorie diet and you did tend to lose faster even if you didn't have a large amount to shed. The problem was for some people, losing a bit more slowly and being a bit more satisfied was necessary if they were to be able to stick with it in the long term. THUS, the add of the restricted from day 1 or week 2 (depends on the coach) and the increase of regular (dinner meal) protein.

If you feel you aren't losing fast enough and you are doing it the new way, you could try the old method and see if the results are better for you. If you can manage it, it really isn't bad.

Also remember the closer you get to your goal the less you need to eat and the less fat you have to offer in the ketosis process so, just eating a little too much more than you should in a day could prevent your body from tapping into its fat reserves for the calories and slow you a bit.

Think of it this way, your body needs a specific number of calories a day say 1500 for easy purpose. You can get that from food or fat. What you don't get from food, IF IN KETOSIS, will be taken from fat. So, say you eat 1000 calories on the diet, your body will take the equivalent of 500 from your fat reserves. If you allow that to go up to 1100 you use only 400 of fat and, you lose out on burning an extra 100 calories a day or 700 calories a week. That is why it becomes more important to stay with the program protocol.

If you are an average height, 140 pound women (need of approx 1650 calories a day) and are on program and getting around 800 calories a day you are getting about 850 calories a day (equivalent in fat). That means you would be losing about 1.7 pound per week of fat plus related fluid loss. So, 2 pounds a week is normal for that person at that weight, without exercise, if on program and not adding extras in.

Sorry if that got confusing. Just trying to illustrate how we can slow ourselves down when we aren't meaning to do it.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 08-15-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 243.6/196.4/165

Height: 5'5"

I updated my avatar today. I had a descent pic from the fair this weekend. Congrats on all that have had losses!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

Carla, you are a fountain of information, thank you for taking the time to explain it.

Also, your progress pictures are awsome!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 292/262/150

Height: 5' 3"

Carla, that was a great explanation. Thank!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Thanks so much for the explanation Carla.
I know people like to see lots of pounds gone quickly. I on the other hand was was thrilled with -2.3 at my weigh-in this morning. As we get older it goes a lot slower. But the reason I am pleased with the slower steady loss is that I have lost quickly on very strict low carb diets over the years. But as soon as any carbs were introduced the weight was immediately back in the blink of an eye.

Last year I did the Dukan diet. That called for 5 to 7 days of "pure protein". Then after that you have alternate days of protein only and protein plus veggies. As soon as I added the veggies back the weight lost from the protein only days was back.

My IP coach told me that the people who had good losses were people who really had good size salads at lunch. So I have done this. I don't think there is such a shock to the system when things are added back if done according to the plan. I don't think I would be able to stick to the old plan as Carla outlined it and I know I would not hold any losses from such a restricted plan. It's still early days for me, but I'll be very pleased if I can keep losing at a slower but steady rate.

Last edited by patns; 08-15-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #52  

Height: 5'4"

I find the more protein I eat at night, the more I lose so I'm not sure all of that is true. I understand the logic behind it and all but I still don't think I agree with it 100%. Also, when i ate the restricted for lunch rather than at night, I stayed the same. (There may have been other factors but the day after I switched it back to eating it at night, I lost again.) I think our bodies just need more then that.

Last edited by ItsAboutTime; 08-15-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #53  
IP started 4/25/11

S/C/G: 265/Seeticker/140

I've had really good losses, and I've had a restricted a day (after day 5) since the beginning. I also eat according to the new protocol. I'm sort of leary of cutting out the restricted, as it is the most carb laden thing that I eat, and I think that when I start adding carbs back that hopefully it won't be such a shock to the system. IDK though. Every body is different! It's just the way it is. Some ppl are just going to lose faster then others. No bodies body chemistry is the same.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #54  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

Love all the new pics of everyone!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #55  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 261 / see ticker / 155

Height: 5'6

P
Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
What are you eating and how frequently? Are you getting in all of your olive oil? Some people need a little bit more fat in their diet. You might try to add an extra tsp of olive oil to you day and see if that helps.

I actually have made my shakes in the blender, smoothie style, and added some flax seed oil or omega 3/6/9 oil, to make it creamier and more filling.

Are you getting in all your veggies? Are they more watery or fiber like? Try adding the more fiber oriented veggies because they may keep you more full.

Are you taking advantage of the chance to eat unlimited lettuce? If not, try preparing and extra "side salad" of lettuce with just a small 1/4 cup or less of chopped veggies as a topping. It might be a good filler. Add a few soy puffs as "croutons" and to give you a protein boost.

Take one of the unrestricted packets of protein like a blueberry pom or orange drink (or the others). Make it very dilute in a large amount of water and then drink it through out the day. You will get in plenty of water, have the added protein from the packet, and may find you stay more full.

Have some hard boiled egg whites available as a snack sometimes just one or two whites will be enough to help you out (they offer about 4g of protein in the white of 1 large).

Aim for the smallest fix that works. If your body doesn't need the extra fat, protein, or fiber don't over do it. You will know you have found what works for you when the hunger goes and the scale is still moving down.

Each of us is different and sometimes, we do need a little more than someone else.
I think I 8m getting enough of the oil. For veggies I eat broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, red cabbage, red onion and cucumber. Usually broccoli in the soup at lunch and the rest in a salad. I have a bar ir drink (usually chocolate or yogurt) at breakfast (9am), lunch is 1230-1, chicken soup with 2 cups broccoli. Dinner at 6, chicken with salad. Snack is a pudding.

I don't usually do the extra salad, I can try that. Just 1?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #56  

Location: Mountains of East PA but originally from New Orleans

S/C/G: 240/206/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAboutTime View Post
Good morning! Glad to have Monday back eating wise but not so much being back at work. The scale finally moved a pound this morning so that's nice to see. I unofficially hit a new decade!

I had a NSV this morning also! I had to strap my bra on the 3rd (the tightest) set of hooks instead of the last. That was exciting. Most of the time it was tight on the last set.

I also took a picture this morning to use as my avatar so you can put a face with a name. I know I like to do that. (It's a corny self portrait in my bathroom but you still get the idea.)

Have a great week. Good luck to those with Monday weigh ins!
I love the pix! Thank you for adding it. I'm thinking I need to go run to the BR and take a self pix 'cause yours is so cute. Smile.

Update... OK so I tried it and realized that though I now weight 10 less pounds, my pix included the toilet, a cat, a post surgical arm splint on my arm. WOW! I laughed so hard. I think I'll wait till the splint is off and close the toilet seat next time!

Last edited by maykatcooper; 08-15-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #57  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maykatcooper View Post
I love the pix! Thank you for adding it. I'm thinking I need to go run to the BR and take a self pix 'cause yours is so cute. Smile.

Update... OK so I tried it and realized that though I now weight 10 less pounds, my pix included the toilet, a cat, a post surgical arm splint on my arm. WOW! I laughed so hard. I think I'll wait till the splint is off and close the toilet seat next time!
That is too funny. I was concentrating on the picture on the front on my blackberry in the mirror (so I was sure I was even in the pic) so I am lucky I didn't end up with a really stupid look on my face. I also stood over in front of the shower curtain as much as I could so I didn't have the toilet and junk in there.

Last edited by ItsAboutTime; 08-15-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #58  

Height: 5'7'

I love reading all the posts - it's very inspirational to hear everyone encourage and support each other. I have joined/quit/joined/quit (are you getting the cycle here?) WW so many times and it was partially because I didn't feel a sense of accomplishment and 'belonging'.

I attribute a lot of my success to this forum and all the positive people on it.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #59  

Hi all!! I am new to this site and to IP. I just had my 2nd weigh in and lost just about nothing. First week was great at 7 lbs. I just finished my period on Saturday. Could this be water weight? I didn't cheat during the week at all.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #60  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

I got my WAGS gloves today. (look for "wrist assured gloves dot com.") I am SO excited. They stabilize your wrist so that you are less likely to injure it doing Yoga or Pilates. I tore a ligament in my right wrist in 2004... never been the same since. THREE wrist surgeries later and I avoid a lot of poses in yoga (well, that's not true, I just all out avoid yoga now), and many things in Pilates make me a little unsure.

I pounced into downward dog NO PROBLEM with the gloves. I still took it easy, but very exciting. My Pilates class kicked my you-know-what today. My abs were so tired after, but that is good, right???

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Interesting! Which book had those tidbits? It sounds like something I would like to read.
Gary Taubes. Why We Get Gat and What To Do About It. Chapter 11. Right after the little Calvin and Hobbes cartoon.
Closed Thread