Old 08-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #1  

Default Need help with Alternative Phase 1 - due to IR

Hi,

I am new to this site and to IP, but REALLY need some help. I started the regular protocol with last night's dinner and continued for breakfast and lunch today. I have had diarrhea, dizziness and nausea all day, vomiting once after lunch. Could someone please explain how the Alternative Phase 1 works? I think because I am insulin resistant, my body can not handle the regular one.

8/13 dinner: 5 oz. hamburger patty, 1 cup zucchini, 1 cup mushrooms, romaine lettuce salad

8/14 breakfast: chocolate protein shake
snack: butterscotch pudding (around 10:00 AM)
lunch: pina colada protein drink, romaine lettuce salad w/ 1/2 c. celery, 1/2 c. cucumber, 1/2 c. mushrooms and dill pickles
AspiringApostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #2  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringApostle View Post
Hi,

I am new to this site and to IP, but REALLY need some help. I started the regular protocol with last night's dinner and continued for breakfast and lunch today. I have had diarrhea, dizziness and nausea all day, vomiting once after lunch. Could someone please explain how the Alternative Phase 1 works? I think because I am insulin resistant, my body can not handle the regular one.

8/13 dinner: 5 oz. hamburger patty, 1 cup zucchini, 1 cup mushrooms, romaine lettuce salad

8/14 breakfast: chocolate protein shake
snack: butterscotch pudding (around 10:00 AM)
lunch: pina colada protein drink, romaine lettuce salad w/ 1/2 c. celery, 1/2 c. cucumber, 1/2 c. mushrooms and dill pickles
Sounds like your body is detoxing, it will last a few days then go away once your body clears and gets used of the food you are eating now.
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #3  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

I agree with Wuv....you are detoxing and are adjusting to the protein. I am IR and have never had a problem....but that's me and my body. Depending upon you diet just prior to beginning IP, your body is "reacting" to something new. This has nothing to do with being IR and you would not react differently between IP products or alternatives because of IR. Rest and drink your water. Based upon what you've eaten thus far, you are right on track.
The first week is the roughest. I promise it gets so much better. Stay on the boards and read what's going on and all the success stories. Hopefully, it will help you stay strong and motivated.
gettinmygrooveback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I was naseated too and had a horrible headache for 4 days. I continued with out much get-up-n-go for a few more weeks, then felt fine. Everyone is different, some have energy right from the start and don't feel "bad" at all. Stick with it, you will feel better in no time!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

IP no longer offers the alternate program thru clinics although some of the older/more experienced coaches might still offer it.

Basically, the alternate plan was offered for people with diabetes. It did not take you into ketosis. It was designed to prevent the development of ketoacidosis in patient.

If you are insulin resistant, you need the standard program and not the alternate plan. The alternate plan will still give you too many carbs and will keep your insulin over producing and the resistance in place.

What you are experiencing may be attributed to detoxing, adjusting to a lower blood sugar, lower glycogen level, or a sensitivity to an element of the product (some people are sensitive to the sweeteners in the products).

I would continue to try. I know that sounds awful given you are vomiting but, it is not an uncommon event. You can add more protein (egg whites are best or lean chicken) or another IP packet. This will help your body adjust to the changes in blood sugar. You should drink more water, it helps some with the nausea.

It might also be a reaction to your vitamins if you are not use to taking these on a regular basis.

I would say keep trying. You should see thinks change around day 5 or so.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: IP160/131/130

Height: 5'3"

You will feel good in a few days -- I'm not sure if that is any comfort to you or not. I went through exactly what you are going through. On the morning of day 4, I felt great.

Keep on going -- you will be glad that you did and you will feel better!
Lone Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #7  

Are you taking your vitamins with food? Taking them on an empty stomach causes nausea for some people...
jordanna is offline   Reply With Quote