Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/157/157

Height: 5'7"

Default Veggie Puree Question(s)

Ok, I made 3 different pyres last night from the "Puree" thread. The Celeriac Root one, the Cauliflower, Celery Garlic & Celery, Mushroom, Garlic one. Questions:

1) how thick are they supposed to be? Like baby food? More soupy? I feel like mine are pretty thick. I had to scoop & scrape out of the blender.

2) can you just eat them as is? The cauliflower one seemed quite intense/rich even though there's no oil in it. My daughter, who LOVES mashed cauliflower, did not like the texture at all & couldn't finish hers.

Any feedback would be appreciated..... They were all tasty, not quite sure what to do with them now. Not using IP soups at the moment to add them to.

Thanks.

Pam

Pam
Pamelama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Hi Pam,

I guess mostly it depends on how you like it. I prefer to boil my caulflower over roasting it, and i add a few bullion cubes and a little extra cooking water to make it slightly thinner. I boil until slightly more tender than you wood if serving it plain. I like it that way better for soups and also for eating them alone- the flavor is milder than roasting, I think. Just y personal preference.

Of you don't like the, thick, try adding a little bit if water of broth. Start with a small amount and check after ,adding- you can always add more. It took me some experimentation to find my favorite way to serve them, so give a few different tries and find your favorite. How does your daughter like it?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

With any of the purees, you can make them thicker or thinner (depending on how you want to use them) by adding water or lowfat (or homemade) broth. It depends on how you plan to use them!

I actually use the mushroom, celery and garlic puree (thinned out just a little) as a poultry gravy. I've made the red pepper puree as a stand-in for Marinara sauce, and will use it thicker or thinner depending on the dish I'm making. I do use them in soups a lot, to add flavor and body, and tend to leave them thicker for that use.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #4  
mei

S/C/G: 293/289/185

these all sound good. must hunt down the puree thread!
mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/157/157

Ok, I guess I'll have to play with the textures a bit.

My daughter might like it blended in to mashed cauliflower rather than on it's own. I added some of the celeriac puree to scrambled eggs this morning....totally different taste/texture. I liked it. I think I was afraid to thin it out too much, but I'll take some of it and just thin that part out to try....

Thanks.

Pam
Pamelama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: H 225/ S 205/ C 197.5/ TBD

I also have been playing with the purees. This weekend I added some to my homemade stew. It helped make it thick without adding flour.
warmheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/183/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Link

Here is the link to veggie purees. Lisa added it to the start letter in the daily thread for future reference.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ie-purees.html
Alma4343 is offline   Reply With Quote