Jicama, wow!

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I have a great find! I was searching for Kolrahbi, and I found Jicama...it is fantastic.

It is a sweet, root vegetable that cuts like an apple. I made "fries" with it, and they were SOOOO good, my whole family loved them, too. I would eat these diet or no diet.

OP: I think so, my coach agrees. Here's the stats:

1 cup: 49 calories (lots of good nutrients, too!)
    .1 g fat
    1.0 g protein
    11.6 carbs
    6.4 fiber

I cut into strips, sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled sea salt and black pepper on them. Baked at 400 degrees on a cookie sheet until browned: turned them once.

I re-heated for dinner for the others, and they were almost as perfect as fresh out of the oven.
  • Not that you asked, but when I read this I was just curious about wether it truly is permitted or if perhaps your coach wasn't quite accurate? I love the other nutrition data, espeically the fiber, however my sheet says no root vegetables (of which this is one) and although it is a low GI food, it does have nearly 2x the carbs of broccoli, celery etc. Maybe to eat more like the limited vegetables? I think I'd like to try including jicama in my salads to up my fiber etc., but worry that its close to a restricted bar in terms of carbs . . .
  • I would LOVE to know, actually, as I do want to stay OP when experimenting. I thought the kolrahbi was also considered a root veggie, and it has similar stats in that a cup came to around 7 net carbs. Well, if anyone can shed light on this it would be great. I loved them, but will leave them alone until phase 4 if that's where they need to go!

I am finding I must find some recipes to make this interesting, on days I can spend time cooking. It helps.
  • That raises another question . . . is it net carbs or gross that we are looking at?
  • It's net carbs, which I think is why my coach (who also told me I could eat fatty fish without restriction, and that isn't really OP) said it was ok. Maybe, I feel a little sheepish that I might have innocently messed up, but I don't think it will kick me out of ketosis but it may slow the loss: don't know. I know I have more oils than the plan calls for, but it hasn't hurt me so far.
  • I wouldnt be too worried, celery root and turnip are other root veggies that are allowed as regular. Some root are forbideen or restricted but some are not. By the nutritional value that you gave i would say that this is a non restricted veggie, due to the digestible carb/fiber content ratio. From my point of view you are 100% OP.
  • I like that answer - I will get some Jicama for my taco salad -)
  • Just my thoughts, but if it isn't on the "Allowed" list of vegetables you CANT have it. Jicama isn't on my phase 1 sheet at all. You really have to follow what is on your vegetable allowed sheet.
  • Hmmm..im sittin on the fence with this one.. im hearing conflicting reasoning here.. Yes..its got a lower net carb count that a restricted veggie..BUT..its a root veggie...a yam and a potato isnt allowed..so why would other ones be allowed? However...its not on the list at all..so does that mean its not allowed? because i GUARENTEE that not all veggies in the world are on the list...

I guess leave it up for yourself to decide which way to go..its your body..your choice..and if you dont know..dont go there..
  • Wow! This sounds so good, im going to have to try these fries! Thanks.
  • Personally, I don't think all foods are included on that list but that's just my two cents. Napa cabbage is a very low in carbs and cals and I have been told ok even though it is on the list and yellow summer squash (the one that looks like a yellow zucchini) is also not on the list at all but I was told it was ok too.

That said, it is higher in carbs than the other root veggies (radishes, kohlrabi) that are permitted and I do think the carb count is quite high, so if you actually had 2 cups of it, you would be over 20 carbs alone . . .
  • Quote: Personally, I don't think all foods are included on that list but that's just my two cents. Napa cabbage is a very low in carbs and cals and I have been told ok even though it is on the list and yellow summer squash (the one that looks like a yellow zucchini) is also not on the list at all but I was told it was ok too.

That said, it is higher in carbs than the other root veggies (radishes, kohlrabi) that are permitted and I do think the carb count is quite high, so if you actually had 2 cups of it, you would be over 20 carbs alone . . .
    I agree. It looks quite high in carbs, all things considered. Even having too much cauli or broc for some can slow down the weight loss. Not worth the risk, IMHO.
  • Hi all,

My coach says jicama is okay. I have eaten it several times a week with lime juice and sea salt, and it has not hurt my progress one bit. I love it! I need to try it cooked, just for a change. Thanks for the inspiration on that one!

Karen
  • Quote: Hi all,

My coach says jicama is okay. I have eaten it several times a week with lime juice and sea salt, and it has not hurt my progress one bit. I love it! I need to try it cooked, just for a change. Thanks for the inspiration on that one!

Karen
    2 cups, 240 grams, of jicama has 91 calories, 4.32 g sugars, and 21.7 grams of carbohydrates. For me, that's worth a whole day of boot camp. Fiber's great, but IP doesn't recognize net carbs. Maybe have just one cup and 3 cups of other vegetables?
  • Quote: 2 cups, 240 grams, of jicama has 91 calories, 4.32 g sugars, and 21.7 grams of carbohydrates. For me, that's worth a whole day of boot camp. Fiber's great, but IP doesn't recognize net carbs. Maybe have just one cup and 3 cups of other vegetables?
    Hi, Linden! I hope you are doing well...