coffee creamer and IP: sugar free vs fat free

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have been doing IP for 9 weeks now and am still having my morning cup of coffee with an occasional iced coffee in the pm (home made). When I started, I asked my coach about this and she said that I could use the vanilla pudding as a creamer by simply adding water. It turned out bad and would not mix well with the coffee.

I went on this website and saw how some of you used RTD vanilla shakes from various places as well. I decided to compare the ingredients, the fat, and the calories overall and found that what I am currently using works best!

I use the Nestle Coffee-Mate Sugar free French Vanilla. For 1 TBSP, it is 15 calories, 1g fat, 2g of carbs, 0g sugar and 0 g of protein.

It is sweetened with the SAME ingredients as the IP products: sucralose and acesulfame.

I have been able to lose 23 lbs in 8 weeks....I am not suggesting that you go out and do this but merely sharing how I have decided to handle this part of my IP plan.

What I have noticed is that there are no Fat free AND sugar free creamers on the market. Not even WF! The fat free stuff has no fat but it does have a higher sugar and carb content.
  • If it's working I say go for it but I've read so many studies on what non dairy creamers do to your metabolism so I stay away from them. And I used to have more creamer than coffee every morning myself!
  • Thanks for sharing this. I've been struggling with drinking my coffee without creamer.
  • Quote: If it's working I say go for it but I've read so many studies on what non dairy creamers do to your metabolism so I stay away from them. And I used to have more creamer than coffee every morning myself!
    I would like to know what you are referring to as far as non dairy creamers and metabolism....Please post some stuff if you have it! Thank you!
  • Quote: Thanks for sharing this. I've been struggling with drinking my coffee without creamer.
    Tonz, I am merely self reporting what I do...ultimately, it is everyone's own choice.
  • I saw it on The Drs or Dr Oz or something and then googled it and quit drinking it after that. I haven't missed it since I use my vanilla shake and a little bit of WF caramel in my coffee every morning.
  • Quote: I have been doing IP for 9 weeks now and am still having my morning cup of coffee with an occasional iced coffee in the pm (home made). When I started, I asked my coach about this and she said that I could use the vanilla pudding as a creamer by simply adding water. It turned out bad and would not mix well with the coffee.

I went on this website and saw how some of you used RTD vanilla shakes from various places as well. I decided to compare the ingredients, the fat, and the calories overall and found that what I am currently using works best!

I use the Nestle Coffee-Mate Sugar free French Vanilla. For 1 TBSP, it is 15 calories, 1g fat, 2g of carbs, 0g sugar and 0 g of protein.

It is sweetened with the SAME ingredients as the IP products: sucralose and acesulfame.

I have been able to lose 23 lbs in 8 weeks....I am not suggesting that you go out and do this but merely sharing how I have decided to handle this part of my IP plan.

What I have noticed is that there are no Fat free AND sugar free creamers on the market. Not even WF! The fat free stuff has no fat but it does have a higher sugar and carb content.
    I use mini moos in my coffee there is hardly anything in them and I just use one.
  • I don't like the RTD vanilla IP shake in my coffee. I have always used a ton of creamer but the RTD vanilla is sooooo sweet and thick and it takes about a half of one to make the coffee light enough to drink. Heavy/Regular whipping cream doesn't have any carbs or sugars and the fat is mostly saturated. I'm going to check with my coach.
  • I also use one Mini-moo in my coffee. It's about the same as using 1oz of skim milk but more conveniently packaged. I kept getting weird looks at work carrying around my 1oz shot glass to measure my skim milk.
  • from the start I have used 1 tbspoon of fat free land o lakes half & half. I dont know if it is "allowed" but it has worked for me. I used to drink my coffee very light but I am now used to it with just the tablespoon of half & half.
  • I would recommend going to the first sticky and finding WUV's post of 1/25/2012. Click on the "Phase 3" sheet and go to the last page (page 6). At the bottom of page 6 it lists "Condiments" and the last sentence has a blurb about non-dairy creamers. Then if you decide to continue using them, at least you will be informed.
  • I got used to drinking my coffee black, but it has to be really good coffee. Now that I'm on Phase 4, have been buying half/half and cheeses in the regular and fat-free versions. I was surprised to see that the carbs are higher in the fat-free versions. Maybe not alot of carbs, but still, some. They must have to put something in to take the place of how the fat would thicken products.
  • Quote: I would recommend going to the first sticky and finding WUV's post of 1/25/2012. Click on the "Phase 3" sheet and go to the last page (page 6). At the bottom of page 6 it lists "Condiments" and the last sentence has a blurb about non-dairy creamers. Then if you decide to continue using them, at least you will be informed.
    Here's the quote from document referenced above:
    Coffee and tea creamers can be milk, Half & Half or use IP's Ready‐to‐drink Vanilla protein drink. NEVER use non‐dairy coffee creamer, these are Hydrogenated Oils and are metabolic poisons! Sweeteners can be Splenda, Stevia, Truvia, or Xylitol.

I use unsweetened chocolate Almond Breeze almond milk: 1 cup has 45 cal, 3.5g fat, 3g carbs, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. It has a better, more IP friendly nutritional profile than skim milk, IMHO.
  • Interesting thread. I've read with interest, as this has been the 1 thing that's bugged me about sticking to this program. I'm 'in the flow' with everything else now. As I type this, I'm sipping from a mug of decaf black coffee, but I do enjoy it more 'light' with a dash of liquid stevia.

I can go with 1 tbsp of skim milk in a mug of decaf tea and find it acceptable, but 1-2 tbsp of skim milk in coffee just doesn't impact on it at all. So I'll confess that I've been sneaking in a tbsp of 2% milk, or 5% cream for my coffee over the past 3 weeks. Just a cup or two a day. But I've also been worried that I'm short-changing myself (in view of my low 1 lb week 3 WI result) with this *cheat* ... hence the black coffee for the last few days.

I've decided I'm going to stick to black coffee for a week or two and see if it impacts on my weight loss at all. And stick to the 1 oz of allowed skim milk - for my tea. (Ah... I feel so virtuous...lol).

Also - while we're on the subject of coffee and tea.... can anybody confirm for me, whether the 'drink 1 cup of extra water for every cup of coffee or tea' rule applies to decaf tea and/or coffee as well? I drink 8-10 glasses of water each day, but haven't been allowing in addition to that for any decaf coffee or tea I drink.
  • Quote: I got used to drinking my coffee black, but it has to be really good coffee. Now that I'm on Phase 4, have been buying half/half and cheeses in the regular and fat-free versions. I was surprised to see that the carbs are higher in the fat-free versions. Maybe not alot of carbs, but still, some. They must have to put something in to take the place of how the fat would thicken products.
    I remember my coach telling me the first week to go for the *real* product, not the fat-free or low-cal versions of things. At the time she was discussing mayonnaise, but I'm wondering if that would apply to cheeses as well? It's going to be a moot point for me for quite some time - but still, I'm interested.