3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Peanut Butter ?!?!?!?! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238534-peanut-butter.html)

cherbee82 07-19-2011 04:48 PM

I'm doing an e-mail thing with a friend's mom who sells/coaches. She recommended restricted right away. I'm on board for that because it's still carb restrictive and hopefully reintroducing carbs later won't be too much of a shock - at least that's my hope.

jennydoodle 07-19-2011 04:51 PM

Try the PB soy balls, or whatever they are called. They are incredible! Also the vanilla PB bar is excellent. Throw away your jar of PB so you won't dip in anymore!!!

coliep 07-19-2011 05:02 PM

Here is what I just found out by reading the book:

"Eating the slightest amount of fast or slow sugars...may stall weight loss for 2 to 3 days." And, "there is no correlation between the seriousness of the slip and the weight loss process."

And that backsliding may cause fatigue.

Yep, and here we are. . . . tired and stalled :/

ETA: ANd I took that to mean I already messed up, why not mess up some more. I blew today totally. I will have to start anew tomorrow. I pray I got this out of my system today for good. It IS a slippery slope.

cajunladybug22 07-19-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettinmygrooveback (Post 3945070)
I am a PB freak! Check out the Vanilla Peanut Bars. They are my favorite and I feel like I am really treating myself!

Exactly this!!!

PacSunMama 07-19-2011 05:20 PM

I'm not an "IPer" but just curious, would cashew butter work? It's significantly less calories and carbs! And it tastes amazing too.

colley 07-19-2011 05:25 PM

Try getting a jar of Walden Farms Peanut Butter, have your tablespoon and its 0/0/0

Thefireresides 07-19-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PacSunMama (Post 3945312)
I'm not an "IPer" but just curious, would cashew butter work? It's significantly less calories and carbs! And it tastes amazing too.

In Phase One it does say no nuts.

2 TBSP of Cashew Butter is 188 calories, almost 9 grams of carbs and 16 grams of fat... so not that much better

M0vingon 07-19-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coliep (Post 3945044)

Can anyone talk be through this? Tell me WHY it is a bad idea and if it cannot work in conjunction with IP? The carbs are low, 1 TBSP is similar to a restricted packet in fats / cals etc.... SO I am struggling to convince myself to stop in the face of cravings + exhaustion. Anyone else suffering with the same issue? I do wish I had never given in . . . three times now.

I lost my willpower along the way =(

I know you've resolved this, but I just wanted to say that it's pretty key that you let go of the Atkins way and commit to just IP. It's not just about carbs, it's about fat and calories too. Atkins is different. If you proceed with the "It was ok on Atkins" mindset, it will trip you up.

If passing on restricted packets is bringing you to cheating, your coach would do well to let you buy a box of puffs or bars. Communicate that to him/her clearly at your next appointment. Have you tried soy nuts? They're restricted, but allowed and a darn good replacement for peanuts.

Good luck!;)

sunshine1986 07-20-2011 02:32 AM

Coliep.... come on you are doing so well at this!:carrot::carrot: Try the PB bar or the soy puffs. I tried both over the last two weeks and they are awesome! For the taste and to take away the craving for sweet, crunch... or the desire for the PB flavor!

Not worth it to dip into the jar.... I have PB in my house, but I have never been a PB person, so its not tempting... if its too tempting for you, get it out of your house!

You can do this! Find an alternative that is IP allowed....

Thefireresides 07-20-2011 01:01 PM

So I mixed some Torani sugar free syrup with a chocolate pudding, adding extra water for a shake.
Not bad... not fantastic... then I melted 2 tsp of WF pnut butter and added it to the mix... Improvement... I have been off pnut butter and almond butter for so long... that this hit of pnut butter quenched my craving :)

It wasn't the real thing... but it will have to do until I reach my goal :)

Watkat 07-20-2011 09:10 PM

The Torani sugar free peanut butter syrup is not good???

niknakjack 07-20-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coliep (Post 3945044)
I am struggling with NOT eating 1-2 TBSP a peanut butter (or almond butter) the last few days. I did great on IP my first week, no intentional cheats. This week is another story. I have somehow made this "cheat" ok since my mind remembers doing Atkins years ago, on which natural PB was ok 1x a day (1 TBSP I think). Now, I KNOW this is a different diet but they are both ketogenic and my body is craving the peanutty goodness and so I have rationalized this cheat.

Can anyone talk be through this? Tell me WHY it is a bad idea and if it cannot work in conjunction with IP? The carbs are low, 1 TBSP is similar to a restricted packet in fats / cals etc.... SO I am struggling to convince myself to stop in the face of cravings + exhaustion. Anyone else suffering with the same issue? I do wish I had never given in . . . three times now.

I lost my willpower along the way =(

Peanut butter has a lot of calories and fat too. Save it for phase 3&4 even then keep it to a minimum because of the fat and calories. Like the others this is NOT Atkins Ip is scientifically proven to work if you follow the protocol. You can do it, we all get cravings try a piece of sugar free gum or some dill pickles or veggies to fill you up. Or maybe go for a walk, try something to keep your mind off of it.

I defiantly recommend the Vanilla Peanut Bar and the Peanut Butter Soy Puffs and the new Peanut Butter Bar they are all really really good.

I had restricteds from day one and still lost weight. I did the diet 2 years ago and that was the way to do it, then about a year later that changed to no resrticted in the first couple of weeks and again with there research it has changed again you can have restricted from the first day of the diet, and still have great results.

ItsAboutTime 07-20-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niknakjack (Post 3947693)
Peanut butter has a lot of calories and fat too. Save it for phase 3&4 even then keep it to a minimum because of the fat and calories. Like the others this is NOT Atkins Ip is scientifically proven to work if you follow the protocol. You can do it, we all get cravings try a piece of sugar free gum or some dill pickles or veggies to fill you up. Or maybe go for a walk, try something to keep your mind off of it.

I defiantly recommend the Vanilla Peanut Bar and the Peanut Butter Soy Puffs and the new Peanut Butter Bar they are all really really good.

I had restricteds from day one and still lost weight. I did the diet 2 years ago and that was the way to do it, then about a year later that changed to no resrticted in the first couple of weeks and again with there research it has changed again you can have restricted from the first day of the diet, and still have great results.

I didn't think we were suppose to have gum. I was told no because of the carbs and the sugar alcohols. (I asked when I got bad breath from ketosis.)

coliep 07-20-2011 10:33 PM

Thanks everyone! I plan to talk with my coach and think I will give in and get a box of the PB bars (I am leaning towards the new PB one). I have been fully back on track today and feeling good about it.

I have 3 kids 3 and under so getting rid of nut butters (we have almond and peanut) is just really not an option. I did mistakenly buy organic PB that contains added sugar (like old school regular PB) and I don't like this kind as much . . . I prefer the natural. So, I will feed them that (bad mom, I know) and hopefully not be as tempted! The fact that I put on some shorts I haven't worn in a while was motivating!

I also started fish oil supplements today. Hopefully its ok - they are just my own. I am starting with a smaller than recommended dose to hopefully avoid the stomach aches they brought before! I also am increasing my olive oil to make sure I get the full 1 tsp since I think the lack of fat in my diet was taking its toll as well.

It is interesting about the craving. I haven't had it again and when I was putting a bunch of food away today I had to move around the pita chips, gummy bears, clif bars, dried fruit, peanut butter, almond butter, kid snacks etc. and I really wasn't feeling very tempted. I even made a giant fruit salad for a playdate tomorrow and didn't feel like I might cave. All good signs =)

I have been told no gum also - I was told the mini sugar free altoids. I find peppermind the most effective!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Purrfect 07-20-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coliep (Post 3945161)
So True, that is exactly it . . . I wonder and wonder but will never know its effects. I just need to lay down the law (and buy restricted foods . . . once I am allowed).

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

No. More. Peanut Butter.
No. More. Extra. Whey. Protein.

I started reading the good Dr's book today, too, so hopefully it'll give me the kick I really need =)

And, I will skip the workout and maybe just go for a walk (if that, its HOT here).

Ah, Peanut Butter is my binge food, my real trigger food. I have often been known to consume a half jar plus in one sitting (often at 3am) with untold amounts of crackers and jam.
Leaving behind the addiction requires effort, but also taking away the Forbidden foods...you can have PB, in other forms, and in moderation when you want after you are in phase four.

Reading the Dr's book will help alot.

When I did atkins, years ago, I used ketostix to montior my progress with all sorts of foods. I found I could eat any amount of roasted, salted nuts and even drink red wine...and stay in the dark purple keytone spot. It probably is very individual regarding sensitivity. With IP, keeping fat intake LOW is vital to the plan so keep reminding yourself that it is only temporary.