3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Ketosis . . . Where Art Thou? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238346-ketosis-where-art-thou.html)

coliep 07-17-2011 10:02 PM

Ketosis . . . Where Art Thou?

So I am in my second week, and I feel that I am not in ketosis. I thought I was for a few days but then all the sensations (energy, breath, lack of hunger) disappeared. I am now often hungry and tired. Now, I realize I can be hungry and tired and in ketosis, but I am struggling to know if I am doing something wrong on IP.

I have read posts on opposite ends of the spectrum, with some saying don't worry about the carb count etc., just follow the protocol and it works. Yet I have seen others concerned about which packets they choose (bcz of carbs) and limiting the types of veggies etc. So far, I am eating per the protocol to the best of my ability but not counting things and wonder if, perhaps, my choices have my carbs too high for ketosis. I am losing, but I think we'd lose regardless because it is such a low calorie diet.

Would love some thoughts from experienced IPers. Thanks!

wuv2bloved 07-17-2011 10:15 PM

I don't know if I am in Ketosis or not. I follow the program to a Tee. I don't count the carbs or anything like that. I eat my packets and my veggies and drink my water and I am losing successfully. This is what my menu looks like for a day....

Water
Breakfast-oatmeal, Water
Water Water
Lunch-pudding and a cucumber Water
Water Water
Dinner- 6-8oz of meat, 2 cups of veggies (cauliflower/broccoli) Water
Water Water
Pudding

That is what I eat most every day and its working for me.

coliep 07-17-2011 10:23 PM

What about the 2 cups of lunch veggies?

I just checked mine, and I average 30-40 grams of carbs just between my veggies and a couple of splenda packs each day. Add on the IP foods, and that's anywhere from 10 - 20 more carbs. So 50-60 on average . . . I fear that is too high from what I have read.

I wish I had that zippy energy I had the other day :/

coliep 07-17-2011 10:24 PM

oh, oops. I read that as cucumber water not cucumber (as your veg) and water. Nevvvvermind!

wuv2bloved 07-17-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coliep (Post 3941786)
oh, oops. I read that as cucumber water not cucumber (as your veg) and water. Nevvvvermind!

LOL...ok

serendipityberry 07-17-2011 11:34 PM

Chance are...you are in ketosis. Although, it isn't ketosis that causes the weight loss, it is the calorie restriction (you're right). If you are getting all your protein in, no worries, you are burning fat. Keep your eye on your goal and don't worry about ketosis. GL!

coliep 07-18-2011 08:16 AM

Thanks all! I will just hope for the best and wait for the pounds and fat to melt off without worrying =)

Porthardygurl 07-18-2011 09:56 AM

Yes, i myself wonder about this whole ketosis thing..but from what John P has told me time and time again...its not Ketosis that causes weight loss..its restricting calories..However Ketosis can help improve mood and energy levels..so..with that said..i still want to be in it..i think its a waiting game..so me and you can wait together coliep!

coliep 07-18-2011 10:16 AM

Totally, not just the improved mood & energy, but ketosis is burning the fat and causing the fat loss whereas I think you might otherwise lose muscle . . . at least I think I heard that. Absent ketosis, this is just a high protein starvation diet at 900 calories!!

petie 07-18-2011 01:13 PM

You can purchase test strips to monitor ketosis if you need to be certain.