Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #106  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Default Pickled Mushrooms

In lieu of pickles has anyone experimented with pickled mushrooms? Recipe, please?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #107  
Angell

S/C/G: 240/232/175

Height: 5'5

Hi Ever One
Old 08-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 250/218/150

Height: 5'6"

I just made my own chilli when the soy pattie.
green and red pepper- chopped and cooked with Pam in frying pan.
Mixed the soy pattie according to directions.
Added soy pattie to the vegtables and added cumin and chilli powder. I like it spicy so I used alot. 1 cap full of cumin and 2 caps full of chilli powder.
I added beef broth to the mixture to keep it from sticking then added some chopped can tomato's. I know IP has chilli but I really like having a bar for a snack after dinner and I cant have both in 1 day.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #109  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane2203 View Post
I just made my own chilli when the soy pattie.
green and red pepper- chopped and cooked with Pam in frying pan.
Mixed the soy pattie according to directions.
Added soy pattie to the vegtables and added cumin and chilli powder. I like it spicy so I used alot. 1 cap full of cumin and 2 caps full of chilli powder.
I added beef broth to the mixture to keep it from sticking then added some chopped can tomato's. I know IP has chilli but I really like having a bar for a snack after dinner and I cant have both in 1 day.
I like your recipe. I have put 1/4 t chili powder, 1/4 t cumin and 1/4 tsp coriander into the soy patty mix before you add the water..sort of tastes like taco meat.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 189/173/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknakjack View Post
10oz. cold coffee mixed w/1 packet of chocolate drink add ice enjoy, this is my favorite way to drink my coffee in the am. YUMMY!
It's very yummy. I tried it warm also. Thanks for the recipe!

MH

Last edited by MarthaH; 08-12-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #111  
Maile

Here is a recipe question. I have been using extracts in my pudding cakes and crispy cereal recipes. Yesterday I looked at McCormach's real vanilla extract and found that it has corn syrup in it..so does the rum extract. The imitation vanilla does not have corn syrup.
The question is will these extracts hurt the program or are they too minor? The pudding cakes use a tsp of extract.
Here are stats:
Real Vanilla extract 1 tsp 12 calories .5 carb
Imitation vanilla 1 tsp 10 calories .1 carb
Lemon extract 1/4 t 5 cal less than 1 carb
imitation Coconut extract: 0 cal o carb
Old 08-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 178/161/140

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Cauliflower Fried Rice

I made this last night and OMG it's fabulous! I fed it to my family too! If your ever craving chinese food.... this'll do it!!!

Grated cauliflower instead of rice is both delicious and low carb.
Ingredients1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 large egg
1 cup cauliflower, grated
2 tsps garlic
1/4 cup chopped scallions
Directions1.Grate the cauliflower using either the largest holes on a hand grater or with the grating blade in food processor. The results should almost resemble the size of cooked white rice.
2.Heat oil to cover the bottom of a small skillet on medium-high.
3.Quickly stir-fry the garlic. Watch closely so as not to burn.
4.Add the cauliflower; fry about 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to color a bit. Don't overcook or it might get mushy.
5.Stir in the soy sauce. Push the cauliflower to one side of the pan; pour in the beaten egg.
6.Lightly scramble the egg briefly then mix into the cauliflower.
7.Add the green onion and toss.
8.Note: add some chicken and make it a meal!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #113  

Location: Mountains of East PA but originally from New Orleans

S/C/G: 240/206/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Here is a recipe question. I have been using extracts in my pudding cakes and crispy cereal recipes. Yesterday I looked at McCormach's real vanilla extract and found that it has corn syrup in it..so does the rum extract. The imitation vanilla does not have corn syrup.
The question is will these extracts hurt the program or are they too minor? The pudding cakes use a tsp of extract.
Here are stats:
Real Vanilla extract 1 tsp 12 calories .5 carb
Imitation vanilla 1 tsp 10 calories .1 carb
Lemon extract 1/4 t 5 cal less than 1 carb
imitation Coconut extract: 0 cal o carb

Any and all sugar (corn syrup or whatever form) should be avoided completely. That is why we cannot have fruit and very limited quantities of tomatoes and green beans, ect (the restricted veggies). You can take yourself out of ketosis pretty easily and then might continue losing weight due to restricted calories but the foundation and technique of this diet will be lost. Anytime you find yourself consuming an accidental sugar, thank your lucky stars that you discovered the mistake and get ready for a three day journey to return to ketosis and explosively fast loss. Smile. I'm so glad you asked.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #114  
Started IP 7-14-11

S/C/G: 280/197.2/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Pudding Cakes

Can someone give me the recepie for the pudding cakes. I've searched but I must be blind Thanks!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #115  

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureskinnygirl View Post
Can someone give me the recepie for the pudding cakes. I've searched but I must be blind Thanks!
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-In a blender, combine (2) egg whites, (1) t. vanilla and 2 oz. of water. Blend well
-Pour liquid contents into a bowl, and gently fold in pudding packet. I usually add a little powder, mix it up, add a little more, etc... The final result is a "batter" similar to brownies. And yes, I lick the bowl and spoon
-To bake, I use (2) small corning ware dishes, you could also make them in a muffin tin, and divide them into (3) equal muffins. I spray the bottom of the dish with Pam so the cakes won't stick.

The cakes will get VERY large while baking, and will deflate when cooling. If you put too much batter into a small baking dish, your cakes will literally explode in the oven. It is VERY important to only fill the baking dish or muffin tin 1/2 way. Which is why you will get 2 small cakes or 3 muffins.

-Bake at 350 for 15-16 minutes. Let cool and enjoy a mini cake.

(2) notes:
1). I have only tried this with Lemon, Butterscotch and Vanilla puddings. They have all turned out excellect! I haven't tried with Chocolate because I don't really care for the chocolate pudding, it is very chalky to me.
2). If you are making the cakes in a muffin tin, fill the empty muffin "holes" with water so that the cakes bake evenly.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #116  
Maile

Quote:
Originally Posted by maykatcooper View Post
Any and all sugar (corn syrup or whatever form) should be avoided completely. That is why we cannot have fruit and very limited quantities of tomatoes and green beans, ect (the restricted veggies). You can take yourself out of ketosis pretty easily and then might continue losing weight due to restricted calories but the foundation and technique of this diet will be lost. Anytime you find yourself consuming an accidental sugar, thank your lucky stars that you discovered the mistake and get ready for a three day journey to return to ketosis and explosively fast loss. Smile. I'm so glad you asked.
Thanks..It was surprising to discover that. I agree that sugar or corn syrup should be avoided..Why do they have to keep sneaking corn syrup into things?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #117  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
In lieu of pickles has anyone experimented with pickled mushrooms? Recipe, please?
Linden, I haven't tried pickled mushrooms but have added marinated mushrooms to my salads when I can find them. There is a brand at our PA grocery that comes in different marinade flavors. I have to check like a hawk because some contain sugars and some don't. BOY is it ever tricky but they (sugar free) haven't seemed to slow down my loss at all and really add a zip to my salads. ...uhm yes I've been known to just grab a few and eat them instead of the pickles. I think the main advantage of the pickles though is the high sodium level which helps treat potassium slumps... it really works well. I'm not sure if the mushrooms would do that.

Story, many years ago when my dad was still living, a work associate became very ill and was in critical condition. The docs has concluded that he would not last through the next 24 hours and instructed the nurses to give him anything he wanted. They had tried for a week to treat him in every way they could think of to no avail. He told the nurses, "Silly as it sounds I would love a dill pickle." Long story short, in 20 minutes he was sitting up and by that evening he was on his feet. He was in a distressed level of potassium deficiency.

When our son was about 12 years younger, he had an almost fatal accident, which required drug induced coma etc. Two days after he was injured I went into the hospital quite ill... turned out to be cellulitis caused by a brown recluse spider bite. While I was still in the hospital our son was sent home from the critical care hospital he'd been taken to. Three days later my husband called me (still in the hospital) and frantically wanted to know what to do because our David was failing and fast. I instructed DH to get him immediately back to the critical care hospital ER. David was put into ICU where it was pretty quickly ascertained that he was in a dangerously low, fatal within 24 hours, low potassium level. As soon as they began IV potassium he began improving and was home, thankfully, this time within a week... two days after I finally came home. Memories! WOW! I'm sure thankful God only gave me four kids and one husband! LOL!

The moral of the stories, PICKLE PICKLE PICKLE. Smile.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 162/132/130

Height: 5'3"

I saved a whole jar of pickle juice in my frig - for brining a chicken, used part of it and tried to figure out what to do with the rest...so I chopped up some cauliflower, par boiled it for 3 minutes, then put it in the remainder of pickle juice. - Viola - pickled cauliflower! It has become a staple for me - either in a salad or just as a side dish. Just wanted to share. - Pickle juice was from Vlasic Kosher Dills. Have also added chipped jalapenos and minced garlic for a more spicy flavor.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #119  
Maile

Quote:
Originally Posted by maykatcooper View Post
Linden, I haven't tried pickled mushrooms but have added marinated mushrooms to my salads when I can find them. There is a brand at our PA grocery that comes in different marinade flavors. I have to check like a hawk because some contain sugars and some don't. BOY is it ever tricky but they (sugar free) haven't seemed to slow down my loss at all and really add a zip to my salads. ...uhm yes I've been known to just grab a few and eat them instead of the pickles. I think the main advantage of the pickles though is the high sodium level which helps treat potassium slumps... it really works well. I'm not sure if the mushrooms would do that.

Story, many years ago when my dad was still living, a work associate became very ill and was in critical condition. The docs has concluded that he would not last through the next 24 hours and instructed the nurses to give him anything he wanted. They had tried for a week to treat him in every way they could think of to no avail. He told the nurses, "Silly as it sounds I would love a dill pickle." Long story short, in 20 minutes he was sitting up and by that evening he was on his feet. He was in a distressed level of potassium deficiency.

When our son was about 12 years younger, he had an almost fatal accident, which required drug induced coma etc. Two days after he was injured I went into the hospital quite ill... turned out to be cellulitis caused by a brown recluse spider bite. While I was still in the hospital our son was sent home from the critical care hospital he'd been taken to. Three days later my husband called me (still in the hospital) and frantically wanted to know what to do because our David was failing and fast. I instructed DH to get him immediately back to the critical care hospital ER. David was put into ICU where it was pretty quickly ascertained that he was in a dangerously low, fatal within 24 hours, low potassium level. As soon as they began IV potassium he began improving and was home, thankfully, this time within a week... two days after I finally came home. Memories! WOW! I'm sure thankful God only gave me four kids and one husband! LOL!

The moral of the stories, PICKLE PICKLE PICKLE. Smile.
Those were amazing stories. I am glad they discovered the low potassium levels. I am doubly glad that we take Potassium calcium supplements with IP.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #120  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyh View Post
I saved a whole jar of pickle juice in my frig - for brining a chicken, used part of it and tried to figure out what to do with the rest...so I chopped up some cauliflower, par boiled it for 3 minutes, then put it in the remainder of pickle juice. - Viola - pickled cauliflower! It has become a staple for me - either in a salad or just as a side dish. Just wanted to share. - Pickle juice was from Vlasic Kosher Dills. Have also added chipped jalapenos and minced garlic for a more spicy flavor.
You're a genius! How long did you let them sit before happily enjoying?
Closed Thread