Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #1  

Default Life after Phase 3 caused over 10lbs in weight GAIN! HELP!

Initially my goal was to loose 60lbs. In the beginning my weight fell off FAST! I lost 20lbs in just 8 weeks. But the last 20 took 5+ months of my life. At 150lbs co-workers were telling me I was getting to skinny. Even though my goal was to be 135 (even secretly 125!). So I decided to move onto Phase 2 then onto Phase 3 & 4.
I was getting so board of the diet. The restrictions. And not being allowed to have the things I really enjoy! Fat & Carbs!!! Alcohol!!!!
Naturally I gained 5lbs with the transitions to Phase 2, 3, & 4. But it's been four weeks of me being on Phase 4 and I've gained ANOTHER 5+ pounds!!!

This is my ultimate fear! Gaining it all back. I worked sooooo hard to get to this weight. But it's all coming back and so much fast then it melted off.

I feel beaten and ashamed. I'm contemplating going back on Phase 1 and staying until I reach my original goal weight. Despite the financial burden and despite what others say.
I need some words of advice. Maybe a second group of coaches is what I really need?...IDK. But I need something!
mymooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/196/170

Height: 5'8"

I am far from my goal, but have been told by my coach that on Phase 4 you are suppose to have 1 cheat day a week, but go back to Phase 1 for a day right after. Has anyone else heard of this? I believe it is in my literature as well.
I'm no expert, but I'm sure I have read this. Also, you can't go back to the way you were before as that is what caused you to be on this program to begin with. It is a lifestyle change, and you still need to watch what you eat.
Anyone else have an opinion?
GailMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 5"

I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry you're dealing with this. It must be so disheartening after having made such an investment.
What I am wondering, though is if you have been following a true phase 4 plan? I haven't been there, but I've read a ton about it because I know that Phase 4 is my commitment for life- I can never go back to eating the way I used to. I don't think I'd want to! If you are following phase 4 to the letter then maybe 10 lbs is an appropriate gain for you based on fluid and glycogen stores, etc. What does your coach say?
No matter what, if you're not happy with your weight/size, you know you can go back to phase 1 and lose as much as you need to in order to be healthy and happy.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 148/132.4/125

Height: 5'5"

My opinion is actually to not go back to phase 1. Phase 1 is great for losing weight but considering it took you 5 months to lose 20 pounds I think you'll end up getting discouraged. Instead, I would recommend picking up the book called Protein Power and follow their plan (for you, I'd say go for phase 2). It's what I plan to do for maintenance since I won't have met my goal on IP. It's a similar plan to IP with limited carb intake and a focus on eating protein and vegetables, but less restrictive than IP (you can have certain fruits and avocado even on phase 1) and there are no expensive packets to buy. It's also just a good read, so that you understand how your body reacts to certain foods and why.

I'm definitely not an expert, but that would be my advice.
amoderngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoderngirl View Post
My opinion is actually to not go back to phase 1. Phase 1 is great for losing weight but considering it took you 5 months to lose 20 pounds I think you'll end up getting discouraged. Instead, I would recommend picking up the book called Protein Power and follow their plan (for you, I'd say go for phase 2). It's what I plan to do for maintenance since I won't have met my goal on IP. It's a similar plan to IP with limited carb intake and a focus on eating protein and vegetables, but less restrictive than IP (you can have certain fruits and avocado even on phase 1) and there are no expensive packets to buy. It's also just a good read, so that you understand how your body reacts to certain foods and why.

I'm definitely not an expert, but that would be my advice.
Thats good advice. I was dreading the idea of going back to Phase 1. I've made Pizza my choice on my cheat days. So going back to no cheese will be really really hard!
And yes, I've been really good about sticking to the tru phase 4 restrictions. But still, this weight gain has happened. Like I said, while still on phase 3 I gained 5lbs!

Part of the slow weight loss on phase 1 had a lot to do with my exercise. I'm a dancer and dance three to four times a week for a few hours a day. So I had to supplement with extra eggs, extra water, and extra packets to keep with the the energy excursion. My coach said that's what was slowing me down. Cause I still had to eat so much and with my schedule, really eat on the go. With work, driving, rehearsals I had hours go by before I ate. So I was always in starvation mode. So yes, it was REALLY REALLY hard loosing what I did for all the work I put in.
mymooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #6  

I have been off the protein diet for a while now and have been having frequent bowel issues that I didn't have before doing it...Does anyone else have this issue? I though it might be because of the way it says your body will metabolize food differently after the diet...
verna newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 214.4/173/145

Height: 5 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymooser View Post
Initially my goal was to loose 60lbs. In the beginning my weight fell off FAST! I lost 20lbs in just 8 weeks. But the last 20 took 5+ months of my life. At 150lbs co-workers were telling me I was getting to skinny. Even though my goal was to be 135 (even secretly 125!). So I decided to move onto Phase 2 then onto Phase 3 & 4.
I was getting so board of the diet. The restrictions. And not being allowed to have the things I really enjoy! Fat & Carbs!!! Alcohol!!!!
Naturally I gained 5lbs with the transitions to Phase 2, 3, & 4. But it's been four weeks of me being on Phase 4 and I've gained ANOTHER 5+ pounds!!!

This is my ultimate fear! Gaining it all back. I worked sooooo hard to get to this weight. But it's all coming back and so much fast then it melted off.

I feel beaten and ashamed. I'm contemplating going back on Phase 1 and staying until I reach my original goal weight. Despite the financial burden and despite what others say.
I need some words of advice. Maybe a second group of coaches is what I really need?...IDK. But I need something!
I would go to my fitness pal and set your own diet limitatons and record everything you are eating to make sure that you are not going over your allowable carbs and fats. It is easy to use.
mamarix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 228/219.7/177

Height: 5 feet 7 iinches

I would say that if you are not happy with your results and you only moved on to phase 2, 3, 4 because of pressure go back and hit the goal weight you want. Don't let other people dictate what you should do with your life or your diet. It's yours, own it. I have also read that on phase 4 your can have a cheat day but you need to go back to phase one for one day the day after.

Also remember that you can never go back to what you where eating before. This is a life long commitment. If you revert back to your old demons you will certainly put the weight back on.

Last edited by Christine07; 06-28-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Christine07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I am also following the protein power diet for maintenance. I just can't imagine adding carbs like potatoes and rice back into my diet every day makes any sense.

If I splurge on the weekend and have a few extra carbs I have been reverting to s phase 1 or 2 diet for a couple of days.

My weight seems to hold within a 3 pound range regardless.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #10  
Maintaining since 6/9/11

S/C/G: 180/140.2/145

Height: 5 feet, 5 (and a half!) inches

I can completely relate to how you are feeling. I did not gain in phase 2 and 3, but I am concerned about the long-term implications of the diet. I am on week 3 of maintenance and I'm watching really closely to how my body is reacting to being off IP. Funny- I never weighed myself in phase 1 and now I weigh every day.

Right now I'm up 2 lbs, so I'm doing a phase 1 day today to see what happens. I'm not sure if it is because of not enough water (too much sodium when we had sushi last night?) or if it is real weight gain.

The fact is, I know I have to watch really closely now. I for one will be going onto phase 1 for periods of time if I need an 'adjustment', but probably using alternative products and only if I feel like I am not comfortable with the changes. I feel like I now have the tools to keep myself from getting 'out of control', but I know I can't go back to where I was before.

I think a phase 3-like program will be best for me.

Hang in there. I know I didn't really give you any advice, but know you are not the only one trying to figure this out.
Lucky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 153/139/120

Height: 5.0

i agree with most of what people are saying on this thread. All i know is that it would be very hard to sustain the type of diet patterns we have on IP in real life on a regular basis. it is unrealistic. i would encourage you to add excersise back into your plan. Still reserve refined carbs to occassions and supplement them with fruit. And do a detox phase 1 on occassion.
But please dont beat yourself up about enjoying normal food and life just make sure its occassional.
kdspirited is offline   Reply With Quote