3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP and Thyroid meds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/236269-ip-thyroid-meds.html)

murleya1 06-22-2011 01:29 PM

IP and Thyroid meds

Right before I started IP 4 weeks ago I had my annual physical and I just found out that I have hypothyroidism. I am going to start taking the lowest dose of meds. Has anyone had issues with this diet and having thyroid issues? I did some research and it notes that the thyroid function and the body's metabolic processes are very connected. Did your dose change as you lost weight? Did you have issues losing weight on the diet? Did you have any problems?

petie 06-22-2011 10:14 PM

I have moved my meds to my morning nature call, usually around 2/3 am. This is why...meds are to be taken on an empty stomach, then food after an hour and IP wants you to eat within an hour of waking. That was really ok but the big challenge is our supplements. Talk to your Doctor about the calcium we take. My understanding is there should be 4 hours between some things and our thyroid meds. Like antacids. That and 6 hours between our calcium dosage (2/lunch 2/before bed) was way too much math for me. Makin me crazy. So if I got up at 7 (thyroid) eat after 8, can't take supplements until after 11...yadda, yadda and so forth. That and (looking online) there's a lot of speculation about absorbtion maybe better served by taking thyroid meds at bedtime to sleep on. Well??? I can't have calcium at bedtime and thyroid meds too. Calcium interferes with that or so I understand. Talk to your Doctor for a complete understanding of what you need to be doing. As far as the metabolism and IP...FOR ME...killer, kick butt, awesome. Best of luck to you, positive, possible, better and better, every day.

Susie_Bee 06-23-2011 10:28 AM

I have had hypothyroidism for several years. I take Synthroid. I gained weight just before my diagnoses and I thought that going on meds, the weight would just fall off but that is not the case at all! It was also hindering my weight loss using just calorie counting and exercise. I would get a certain part of the way to my goal but then would just stall out. I was in the mid-170's for over a year before I started IP and it really worked amazing for me!

I don't know if my Doctor's are messing up or what, but my dose has never changed since my initial diagnosis through weight gain, weight loss, weight gain again, two pregnancies, nursing, etc. I do go for annual blood tests and I am always told that it is fine. I think their "normal range" is far too wide and needs to narrowed down! I also wonder if this caused problems for my children (one is ADHD with sensory sensitivities and the other has a Sensory Processing Disorder and is at risk for ADHD - there is no precedent for this in my family nor my husband's family).

Before starting IP, although my Doctor assured me that my dose was fine, I was still very symptomatic (high blood pressure, always tired, anemia, insomnia, anxiety, facial "puffy-ness"). A few weeks into Phase I, symptoms subsided and I still feel great as I am starting phase IV this week!

My coach advised me to leave 2 hours between food/supplements and my thyroid medication. Based on advice that I received on this board, I also moved my thyroid dose to just before bed instead of first thing in the morning and I do see a big difference! I read on this board that the medication seems to be absorbed better when it is in the system overnight without addition of other food/supplements that may interact and reduce its effienciency. All I can say is: "it works for me!"

Some would caution against using the products with soy when you have thyroid issues but I am also lactose intolerant, so I have not avoided soy and I don't believe that this is a problem for me personally.

Good luck to you! I hope you are feeling better soon!

murleya1 06-23-2011 02:24 PM

They funny thing is I was not even thinking about thyroid issues. I just had blood work done as a base line. I have always been big. I don't really have much for symptoms other than I am overweight. My blood pressure is good, cholesteral is good. I knew I was going to start this diet and was curious how it would affect my health. So I got the blood work and plan to compare it when I go in next year. I was kind of hoping that if I lost weight that I would not have to take the drug.

I'll be starting the lowest dose of synthroid. I think taking it at night will work for me. It would be fantastic if the combination of taking synthroid and doing this diet helps me drop weight faster. :) If it does not, that is ok too because I am averaging over 3 pounds a week and that is great.

Susie_Bee 06-23-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murleya1 (Post 3904325)
They funny thing is I was not even thinking about thyroid issues. I just had blood work done as a base line. I have always been big. I don't really have much for symptoms other than I am overweight. My blood pressure is good, cholesteral is good. I knew I was going to start this diet and was curious how it would affect my health. So I got the blood work and plan to compare it when I go in next year. I was kind of hoping that if I lost weight that I would not have to take the drug.

I'll be starting the lowest dose of synthroid. I think taking it at night will work for me. It would be fantastic if the combination of taking synthroid and doing this diet helps me drop weight faster. :) If it does not, that is ok too because I am averaging over 3 pounds a week and that is great.

Wow! You are doing great considering! Amazing!

I think the medication may help as it will boost your metabolism for sure! They usually start you on the lowest dose possible for a month and then they repeat the blood test and adjust the dose, if needed, until they reach the right dose for you.

I now go for annual blood tests just to make sure I am still in the "normal" range, which I could argue about extensively but I think I will spare everyone this! ;)

My Doctor explained to me that once the Thyroid stops functioning, it usually does not "fix itself" although I have read otherwise so who knows! It has not been the case for me.

wuv2bloved 06-23-2011 05:26 PM

I have hypo also but I took a radioactive pill years ago to completely kill my thyroid because it was not working as at. I have lost 40 lbs in 7 weeks with 47 inches. I go next month to take blood so we will see if my dosage has to be changed or not. I have been on the same dose for a long time.

murleya1 06-24-2011 02:09 PM

I do go back in 2 months to get the dosage checked. It is good to hear someone else that has been doing what my doc is having me do.

serendipityberry 06-25-2011 05:21 PM

Wow, I'm amazed that you don't feel hypo. I can tell even when I skip a pill :p
My doc hasn't checked my level since I've lost and I about jumped for joy :carrot: last appointment he didn't want to test it...because I feel GREEEAAATTT!!!!! I don't want him to mess with it!

I have a feeling you are going to feel like you never knew you could---like a new woman, in about 4 wks when the Synthroid kids in ;)