Old 06-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question Can someone give me a heads up on chicken broth?

Okay...so i went out and bought something called "better than bullion" in chicken flavour..Its like..oxo or other bullion, just in a paste..its a lot lower in sodium then most too..I bought it in the hopes that i could drink it when having a feeling of being hungry the next couple of days..i wanted something other than just water that would fill me up...since i find water hard to choke down..

Is this alright to use? If so how much? For 1tsp it has 2 carbs and 10 or so..calories...is this okay to use?

Also, anyone have any good ideas about what to do with cauliflour for dinner?I need it to go with my chicken..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #2  

The problem with 2 g of carbs per tsp is it will add up and if you are trying to stay in ketosis sometimes this little amounts of extra carbs can throw you out of ketosis because they add up to more...

Roasted cauliflower is nice...cut it up into small florets spray or toss it with a little olive oil and use some herbs and seasonings of choice and roast it in the oven until golden brown.
jordanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 159/150/129

Height: 5'2

My coach had said to avoid pre made broth. He okayed home made broth.
The advice the coach gave my other half if he was hungry was trying additional cucumbers or celery ( a cup) or have an additional salad.
You could add mio to your water ( available at Walmart and Safeway)
My coach has also okayed an additional cup of herbal caffine free tea. If you are craving sweet bengal spice tea or wild sweet orange are great.
Thefireresides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Is it really that hard to just drink water? I don't think the carbs or calories are a problem but I'm not sure broth would blunt hunger I think it would likely have the opposite effect.

In my opinion the best way to blunt hunger is to just follow the diet exactly without cheating while keep yourself busy and your mind occupied.

The more time you have to sit around and think about food and being hungry the greater your hunger will become. Don't watch commercials on TV because you never know when a food ad is going to pop up. Don't watch the food network.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm not on IP, but I have used clear broths and bouillon and other super low calorie soups as an appetite suppressant for many years, and they actually worked fairly well (not so much for "real" hunger, but for the urge to snack), but it's very hard to find a broth powder that isn't too salty (and sadly the Better than Bouillon is still WAY too salty for me).

I first bought an assortment package of the Better Than Bouillon several years ago from QVC because of the spokespersons claim that it contained far less salt/sodium than other brands, and I ended up very disappointed because they didn't seem much, if any less salty than the brand I'd been using. The taste (except for the excess salt) was good, but like almost all bouillons I had to use a lot more water, and by the time they were diluted to a saltiness I could stand, the broth flavor was too weak to be enjoyable.

While the brand may be lower than most commercial bouillon, it's not nearly by as much as the spokesperson on QVC implied. And now that the product is on grocery store shelves, and lower sodium products are more available, it's often not the lowest sodium bouillon or soup base paste or powder on the shelf.

Even Better than Bouillon's reduced sodium varieties still contains 500g per serving (1/4 of the RDA), and their regular products contain almost 700g.

I did find salt and carb free broth powders from Spices, Etc. in both beef and chicken. (I also ordered mushroom and wine powders from this company, and they're also excellent - but the carb content would be far higher).

http://www.spicesetc.com/product/Mea...lty-Seasonings

http://www.spicesetc.com/product/Mea...lty-Seasonings

The broth powders can't be used alone, because they are super bland until you add salt and other seasonings, but it's possible to make a carb-free broth that only has the salt you choose to put in it. It is hard to get the flavor up without any salt, but I used it in combination with Better Than Bouillon or a regular bouillon so that I can use much less of the bouillon (and therefore end up with a much less salty, but still meaty flavored cup of broth).

Last edited by kaplods; 06-21-2011 at 02:43 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Out of curiosity I just compared the soup pastes I bought from the oriental market, and they're similar in concentration. The sodium levels are 1/2 that of Better than Bouillon (about 300mg per tsp), and 1/3 or less (for a whole tablespoon, which is three teaspoons 2-3 carbs). The fat content 1g per tsp.

One is called Instant beef flavor paste

and the other is Instant Viatnamese Sour Soup

Of course, you'd have to enjoy asian flavored soups, and they're usually only found in asian grocery stores, or grocery stores in communities with a large asian community.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-21-2011 at 02:42 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:59 AM   #7  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Hmm.. i guess i will just skip the whole bullion thing..I just wanted the odd cup of broth as a warming comfort ever so often..especially late at night when i dont want to eat.. i guess im better off with tea
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I only drink decaf herbal tea due to my IBS--there are tons of flavors to choose from, and they are calorie free as long as you don't add anything. I just found chocolate chair and I will be trying it tonight. I also love the passion tea from starbucks. Good luck!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 224.4/219.0/150

Height: 5 ft 4

Have tea at night many swear it helps them. If you follow the diet like they suggest you wont be hungry. Many have a hard time to eat everything they are suppose to. Now the munchies thats a different story. Keep your restricted Item for those times, or eat a pickle.
locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #10  
Started IP Jan 6 2011

S/C/G: 214/160/160ish

Height: 5'9 current size 8 and some 6's --never ever been a 6 (not even in highschool)

I use chicken stock all the time - I make it myself in the pressure cooker - that way I know exactly what is in it - Chicken, Celery,leeks, bay leaf, black pepper, fresh herbs from my garden (usually thyme, tarragon and oregano) - it comes out perfectly -- I am able to skim the fat off and get exactly what I want. The stock does congeal a bit in the refrigerator due to the gelatin content of the chicken bones so I just add it to warm water - I cook with it, I make IP approved soups with it and occasionally I drink it. This is very easy to do and because I do it myself I don't have issues with the sodium because I don't add it to the stock during cooking I add it to whatever I am cooking with the chicken stock. As a rule of thumb if you are shopping for broths - buy stocks instead of broth more often then not stocks have a heartier flavor and have less sodium then broth. If I have to buy stock I always buy the Imagine Brand organic Low Sodium stocks or the Organic Swansons low sodium stock. (you have to watch for MSG and sweeteners/carbs). I can give you more specifics on how to use a pressure cooker to make stocks if you need help (I used to be a chef and we did this ALL THE TIME in our kitchen - it is very easy and takes about 45 minutes from start to finish-- most of that time is spent stewing in the pressure cooker) -- Good luck...you can do this...and adding IP friendly foods to your menu makes maintenance that much easier.
CheekyWit is offline   Reply With Quote