3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   High calcium blood count (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/234414-high-calcium-blood-count.html)

booklady231 05-30-2011 05:11 PM

High calcium blood count

Has anyone had unusually high calcium count. My Dr. called and my blood work showed way too much calcium and just checking to see if anyone else had this problem. Of course he wants me to go off the program but it is working for me when nothing else has before.
Thanks...............

walking2lose 05-30-2011 07:07 PM

My friend had this a year ago. It led them to investigate her parathyroid gland where they found a nodule, which she had removed. All of this came from bloodwork she had prior to getting a melanoma removed. Apparently high calcium can be connected to parathyroid, but I'm sure there are other reasons for it too. Good your doc picked up on it.

Good luck!

Hungry4Health 05-30-2011 07:13 PM

Hi.

I think it could also be something as simple as your taking too much vitamin D. My mom's doc told her to take vitamin D and so she did and then when she had her blood tested she had elevated calcium.

If your doc tells you to not do your diet, you shouls listen, but also ask what he suggests and that certainly not be the final word on the matter. You and the doc need to keep on it until you figure out what is going on with you.

Good luck!

CheekyWit 05-31-2011 10:09 AM

I had the exact same thing when I was 21 - this was due to my parathyroid - I had a nodule/tumor (non cancerous - they usually are) that had fused 2 of my parathyroids together -I had both of them removed along with the tumor. My calcium levels are back to normal although I do have to be more diligent about monitoring - I usually have issues if I don't get enough calcium. Have them run another test and look at your calcium, and phosphate levels--I am hoping your doctor has already looked at your phosphate levels in relation to the calcium -- ask for the results of both of these levels (these usually go hand in hand if it is a parathyroid issue). There are some more specialized blood tests they can do to rule out parathyroid issues - IMHO I think you should question your doctor a bit on this and ask him/her -- why they ruled out parathyroid issues if in fact they did. Although it is not life threatening - those parathyroids can cause lots of issues in the blood - namely too much calcium= massive fatigue and kidney stones and low level phosphates affect all muscles in the body - including the heart. Let me know if you need more help -- as I have said, been there and done that and am happy to answer any of your questions if it is a parathyroid issue. Hang in there!!!!

mamarix1 05-31-2011 11:16 PM

Parathyroid

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheekyWit (Post 3871375)
I had the exact same thing when I was 21 - this was due to my parathyroid - I had a nodule/tumor (non cancerous - they usually are) that had fused 2 of my parathyroids together -I had both of them removed along with the tumor. My calcium levels are back to normal although I do have to be more diligent about monitoring - I usually have issues if I don't get enough calcium. Have them run another test and look at your calcium, and phosphate levels--I am hoping your doctor has already looked at your phosphate levels in relation to the calcium -- ask for the results of both of these levels (these usually go hand in hand if it is a parathyroid issue). There are some more specialized blood tests they can do to rule out parathyroid issues - IMHO I think you should question your doctor a bit on this and ask him/her -- why they ruled out parathyroid issues if in fact they did. Although it is not life threatening - those parathyroids can cause lots of issues in the blood - namely too much calcium= massive fatigue and kidney stones and low level phosphates affect all muscles in the body - including the heart. Let me know if you need more help -- as I have said, been there and done that and am happy to answer any of your questions if it is a parathyroid issue. Hang in there!!!!

I also had one of my parathyroid glands removed last summer. My Dr. told me if you have high calcium levels it is probably your parathyroid. Parathyroid does NOT effect weight, so don't think you'll get the bad one taken out and poof you'll lose, you won't. My dr. put me on Gout medicine after the surgery so that I didn't throw kidney stones, I found it helped my arthritis, so I'm staying on it. Don't you love this site? Just ask a question and get an answer.