Old 05-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #1  

Default Stir Fry Sauce

In an attempt to try and eat chicken instead of all the red meat I consume (kinda hate chicken) I want to make a stir fry. I am a big "sauce" person so I am wondering what I can use for sauce
Any recipes would be awesome
Aimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #2  
Started IP Jan 6 2011

S/C/G: 214/160/160ish

Height: 5'9 current size 8 and some 6's --never ever been a 6 (not even in highschool)

I mix tamari (gluten free soy sauce) with some rice wine vinegar a 0/0/0 (watch them some rice wine vinegar has carbs), some fresh grated ginger and garlic, hot chili paste -- this makes a good stir fry sauce -- then add a drop or 4 of sesame oil to the top to finish off the stir fry--if you want it really sauce-y you can add some chicken stock (make sure it has low or no carbs, no sugar, no msg). I too am a big sauce person and have adapted lots of recipes to make my sauces IP. The WF seasme ginger dressing is good for a quick stir fry as well (I am not a big fan of WF but this one is decent and can be quickly doctored up in a stir fry). I make a bbq sauce with my WF ketchup which is a good dip for grilled chicken tenders. I make Indian style gravy/curry using pureed cauliflower as my thickening agent -- hope this helps
CheekyWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Height: 5'3"

I use a variety of things, depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Sometimes I'll mix soy sauce, sesame oil, and Walden Farms brand peanut butter to make a peanut sauce (and then I add toasted sesame seeds, soooo good). Or I just use soy sauce by itself.

Tabasco sauce and cayenne pepper are good if you're looking for something spicy.

I've even used just a little mustard after sauteeing veggies in EVOO.

Using a little Walden Farms Thick and Spicy BBQ sauce is great, too.

I have a huge variety of herbs and spices and just mix and match with different types of (IP-compatible) sauces, depending what I'm in the mood for.
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #4  

someone mentioned soy sauce and splenda? how much of each do you know?
Aimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #5  
Started IP Jan 6 2011

S/C/G: 214/160/160ish

Height: 5'9 current size 8 and some 6's --never ever been a 6 (not even in highschool)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimes View Post
someone mentioned soy sauce and splenda? how much of each do you know?
I do this to taste -- and depending on how many I am serving -- start with 2 TBS of soy sauce and mix in a small amount of splenda (try 1/2 tsp to start) in a bowl -- taste it and see what ratio you like -- I tend not to like sweet as much as savory so if I ever add splenda it is less then a teaspoon.
CheekyWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #6  
Maintaining since 6/9/11

S/C/G: 180/140.2/145

Height: 5 feet, 5 (and a half!) inches

This is on a bit of a different topic, but now that grilling season is upon us I miss my favorite BBQ rubs that all have brown sugar in them. They are fairly spicy, but I like that 'sweet' component. I typically use the rubs on everything from ribs to pork tenderloin and fish (white fish, salmon, etc.). So I decided to come up with my own IP friendly version. I put cumin, dry mustard, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle powder and some powdered stevia to make a rub. It doesn't caramelize the same way as one with sugar in it (obviously), but it adds a great amount of flavor!
Lucky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote