Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #61  
Start: 4-20-11

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonSparkles View Post
On a separate note:
I just got my thyroid test back and my level is 0.02. A month ago it was 3.0. I'm taking Armour Thyroid and was told to cut it back but I thought 3.0 was a fine level so I didn't. Last test was 6.0 and the one a few months before that was 10.0! So this is the first time in 2-3 years that my level has been normal (since I started asking exactly what the levels were, not just dumbly believing the doctor when he/she said they were low. Been hypothyroid for 5 years now).

0.02 means my thyroid is working and the level is actually too high. But I feel totally normal and happy! I am thinking of seeing a naturopath instead of my current doctor. He doesn't really pay attention. I believe in treating my symptoms, not my lab tests. Anyone else out there with hypothyroidism feel the same way? Why is it so hard to get doctors to listen to our symptoms instead of relying whole-heartedly on lab results (which vary widely anyway). Last year when I did IP it did not help my thyroid levels at all (they didn't change), so I really don't think IP had anything to do with these levels.

Also, today my head is in the clouds and I forgot my sweater and my protein bar for lunch. I am freezing but luckily I had some protein powder here at work and I do have my salad. I also put my tea in my BF's bag and almost took his IP lunch this morning instead of mine! Woo I hope my brain returns to me at some point. I would forget it too if it weren't already inside my head.
I, too, am hyperthyroid. In fact, I am on this program because I was in the ER with tachocardia and high blood pressure. Went to the primary care doc who said, "double up on your BP meds and here is a RX for (some anti-anxiety medication)." Deep in my heart I knew it wasn't my BP, so the next day to went to an endocrinologist who specializes in diseases of the thyroid. She took me off all thyroid meds for one week because she said that my body was acting as though it was on speed. She took away one of my meds completely and told me never to take it and then after a week told me to take only the Syntheroid, but to take it at night, because I take Nexium and some other meds in the am. She also put me on this program (a alternate version of the program) and explained that the amount of thyroid meds a person needs depends upon their weight. She wants my weight down so she can lower the amount of thyroid medication. Makes sense to me. Well... after almost 3 weeks on this program and a 9 pound loss, I feel so much better! I feel calm (haven't felt that way in almost 3 years). My NEW thyroid doctor is wonderful! She listens and explains WHY I need to do things. I can handle that. As long as I know WHY! I went to the cardiologist a couple of days ago and my BP is nice and low and he cut my BP meds in half and said that eventually I probably won't even need them at all! I'm really happy about all that. In 2 weeks I go for lab work and then see her the following week. I'll let you know what I discover, if you're interested.
BROWNEYES47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #62  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Height: 5'3"

Happy Monday, ladies and gents! (Yes, I actually LIKE Mondays.) It's so great to see so many new people doing so well! Today has been pretty good so far; this evening is my son's first t-ball game of the year, and I'm loving that I'm smaller than last year at this time. A friend posted a photo from last August on facebook, and wow. Big difference. Now, I'm so in for the perfect week with the rest of you!
Joliebug82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #63  

Default Use Your SALT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliebug82 View Post
Happy Monday, ladies and gents! (Yes, I actually LIKE Mondays.) It's so great to see so many new people doing so well! Today has been pretty good so far; this evening is my son's first t-ball game of the year, and I'm loving that I'm smaller than last year at this time. A friend posted a photo from last August on facebook, and wow. Big difference. Now, I'm so in for the perfect week with the rest of you!
I have a trip to the Beach with some GF's in July. We get together once a year. Can't wait to see them and really hope I'm at goal before then!!!!

As far as being on plan & alternate plans, there have been questions about the amount of salt on the diet. My DH has a friend who ended up in the ER while on IP. He refused to use the salt, thought it wasn't good for him. He was dehydrated, extremely low blood pressure and nearly died.
USE THE SALT!!! DON'T QUESTION THE PROTOCOL!!!
blkbmr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #64  
Started IP March 29, 2011

S/C/G: 220/IP:177/**ticker**/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandam6 View Post
Good Morning! I was going to start the thread this morning, but I couldn't figure out the "bells and whistles" either. I need to go and find Carla's post with the instructions. Maybe we could have the instructions on it's own thread and keep bumping it up?

Anywho, I am going to be perfectly OP today! I have a short term goal to have 7 "perfect" days in a row. "Perfect" means to me, all vitamins taken, all packets in (at the correct times), and nothing shall enter my mouth that is not allowed!

Hopefully, I can turn this into several weeks. I want to be as good as I was in the beginning!! I can do it!

I'm going to do this goal with you the next 7 day! (I'll have to start tomorrow though, I already cheated this afternoon a bit...). Perfect IP for the next 7 days!
cwphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #65  

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNEYES47 View Post
I would LOVE an omlet. What is the brand name of the ones you buy from Nashua Nutrition? I just want to EAT something for breakfast! Could I have a real egg or maybe some egg beaters? I have not eaten anything like that and even if I only had it once or twice a week, I know it would help. I checked Egg Beaters and all flavors have about 30 calories (the cheese & chive have 35 and the whites only have 25); no fat; 1 gram of carbs, and about 5 or 6 grams (regular flavor has 6) of protein. I know the protein isn't enough, but could you have maybe TWO 1/4 servings to get a little more protein in? What about a REAL egg and an extra egg white? That would be 86 calories, 9.9 g. protein, .60 carbs and 4.9 g fat. Even that woulndn't be bad, would it?
I have had 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites for breakfast pretty much every day. Some mornings I make an omlette with some of y veggies from lunch- others I just toss it in the pan and fry it like one mondo fried egg. You can have real eggs or Eggbeaters if they don't have carbs in them. As far as ordering packets- ProtiDiet is a good option. I order Protidiet and Protithin products off of Nashua Nutrition.

Restricted bars are just protein bars. Grab the list of IP Nutritional Fact Sheet off of the Alternatives thread and use it to compare other products. Actually, if you haven't, I suggest you read through the entire Alternatives thread. It's long, but you'll learn a lot.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 147/138.8/105

Height: 5' 2.25"

I have a quick question if anyone can answer...

My paperwork says to have 5-8 ounces of lean protein for dinner. I was going to have Tilapia tonight. Is this weight before or after cooking?

TIA!
longhorn96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #67  
IP started 4/25/11

S/C/G: 265/Seeticker/140

Height: 5'5"

It's pre-cooked weight!
HTH
MInewgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 147/138.8/105

Height: 5' 2.25"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MInewgoal View Post
It's pre-cooked weight!
HTH
Thank you!
longhorn96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 160/158/138

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MInewgoal View Post
Cinnamon-

Armour is active thyroid. If your dosage is too much (you lost weight, but didn't decrease dosage), it is not something that your system "expells" it uses it. Having hyper-thyroid can do things like make you feel more energy, make you cold, make your heart race, and other things. Having too much of the armour will do the same damage that having an over-active thyroid will do. My doctor would not consider switching when I asked about it, (synthyroid actually blocks vitamin absorbtion, and other side affects) and said that there is a movement out there to even take it off the market due to the ability to become in a word toxic from it.
Armour does work better then synthyroid, but does require more monitoring because of the damages.
I don't know if I've helped at all, just gave the information that I have.
Thank you! Last year I was on Synthyroid (levothyroxine) so I guess that one is not so dependent on the weight of the patient. I appreciate the information! It does require a lot of monitoring. I do see the doctor every month about it. Glad to know it's worth it to go so often! I will definitely reduce my dosage as suggested by my doctor.

Quote:
I, too, am hyperthyroid. In fact, I am on this program because I was in the ER with tachocardia and high blood pressure. Went to the primary care doc who said, "double up on your BP meds and here is a RX for (some anti-anxiety medication)." Deep in my heart I knew it wasn't my BP, so the next day to went to an endocrinologist who specializes in diseases of the thyroid. She took me off all thyroid meds for one week because she said that my body was acting as though it was on speed. She took away one of my meds completely and told me never to take it and then after a week told me to take only the Syntheroid, but to take it at night, because I take Nexium and some other meds in the am. She also put me on this program (a alternate version of the program) and explained that the amount of thyroid meds a person needs depends upon their weight. She wants my weight down so she can lower the amount of thyroid medication. Makes sense to me. Well... after almost 3 weeks on this program and a 9 pound loss, I feel so much better! I feel calm (haven't felt that way in almost 3 years). My NEW thyroid doctor is wonderful! She listens and explains WHY I need to do things. I can handle that. As long as I know WHY! I went to the cardiologist a couple of days ago and my BP is nice and low and he cut my BP meds in half and said that eventually I probably won't even need them at all! I'm really happy about all that. In 2 weeks I go for lab work and then see her the following week. I'll let you know what I discover, if you're interested.
I'm actually hypo, not hyper, which is why this lab result throws me for a loop. I'm so glad you feel better after only 3 weeks - and 9 pounds, which is fantastic, by the way!! Woohooo! I think I will have to find a new doctor for my thyroid issues because my current one just tests me and that's it. I'd like a doctor who listens and explains things. I suggested the Armour thyroid when I realized Synthyroid wasn't working and hadn't been working for the past 2-3 years. I guess Armour works better for me, but it works a little too well! Please let me know what you discover after your doctor's appointment. My BF is on this diet in the hopes that he will not need BP meds for his elevated BP. It's in the warning range where they first start giving meds for it. I will let you know how it goes for him. His BP is almost back down in the normal range, as he gets it taken 3x per week by a doctor at our chiropractor. He is planning to try to go off the BP meds with the blessing of the doctor.
CinnamonSparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #70  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Quote:
I wonder what makes them act that way. He certainly wasn't raised that way as I was a devoted daughter to both my mother and mother-in-law. I guess the worst part was that he passed right by the house. It wouldn't have been a big deal to stop by. I guess I'm just being a baby about it.

Oh well... such is life. My kid's a jerk.
You have a right...I have been a little down today too about my daughter.

Quote:
I get my shakes from Costco. They are 100 calories, have 30 grams of Protein, 3 grams total fat, Total Carbohydrates of 5 grams. I have recently alternating that with the EAS AdvantEDGE Card Control shakes, which are 110 calories , 17 grams of Protein, 3 grams total fat, Total Carbs of 6 grams. The two seem to be pretty much the same with exception of the proteins. I prefer the Costco shakes because they have more protein, and are less expensive than the others.

I would LOVE an omlet. What is the brand name of the ones you buy from Nashua Nutrition? I just want to EAT something for breakfast! Could I have a real egg or maybe some egg beaters? I have not eaten anything like that and even if I only had it once or twice a week, I know it would help. I checked Egg Beaters and all flavors have about 30 calories (the cheese & chive have 35 and the whites only have 25); no fat; 1 gram of carbs, and about 5 or 6 grams (regular flavor has 6) of protein. I know the protein isn't enough, but could you have maybe TWO 1/4 servings to get a little more protein in? What about a REAL egg and an extra egg white? That would be 86 calories, 9.9 g. protein, .60 carbs and 4.9 g fat. Even that woulndn't be bad, would it?

I am also sick to death of lettuce, mushrooms, cucumber salads with vinegar and oil. I bought the WF bacon ranch dressing and I'm pretty sick of that, too. (Boy... my inner child is really unhappy, isn't she?)

What is a "restricted bar?" and where can I get them?

I'm sorry to be so needy... boy this isn't even that TOM-- I haven't had one of those in years! HA!HA!

I would be interested in knowing what other alternative products others are using. Thanks.
I order the proti-thin omelets (I think) the bacon and cheese.

here is the IP protocol....

1 packet for breakfast

1 packet for lunch with lettuce and 2 cups of veggies and 1 tsp evoo

6-8 ounces of meat (lean) and 2 cups of veggies and 1 tsp evoo and lettuce if you want

1 packet before bed

Of the three packets....one can be restricted.

When choosing your foods....

2 non-restricted should be around 100-120 calories and 2-5 carbs

1 restricted should be around 150-180 calories and 12-16 carbs

I buy the bars from NN...love the peanut butter, double peanut butter, and smooth peanut butter and jelly

I have eaten the same lunch salad for 8 months straight...yup it gets old.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #71  
Lovin the way I feel!

S/C/G: 235(start IP 4/15/11)/tick/140

Height: 5'4"

Weigh in #3 this morning... down 3.6 pounds and 4 1/2"!!! Yeahhhh!!!
So get home, eat a protein bar....then another one.....and then 3 oreo cookies, and an small ice cream with kids...well I was all off plan! UGHH!!! I am sure I through myself out of ketosis! poop!!!
Ok, shaking my self off...will be on plan tonight for dinner and back on track and my routine tomorrow morning! Sorry just had to vent.
Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!
P.S. I am supposed to get my signature (ticker) tomorrow... can't wait... It had been a long 20 days!!!
phall8180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #72  
Started IP - 4/11/2011

S/C/G: 203/193/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone!
Just checking in. Lost 2 more pounds on my Friday weigh in! I also am going to my general doctor on Thursday. I am really excited to see my cholesterol and blood sugar levels. This past year the doctors have started to become concerned. Hopefully they will see good numbers now!

Also, I have had up and down days lately. I believe it's probably expected when your food intake is so limited and you are bombarded by food/snack commercials, see everyone else eating things you can't. But thanks to the support here I have not cheated. Sunday was the first time I actually had to have a snack before dinner. Not sure why but about 2 hours after lunch I was starving again! Today seems back to normal though. I keep telling myself the stricter I am with myself the sooner I can start introducing other foods! Looking forward to adding some fruit to this diet! Does anyone know if that is in phase 2 or 3?
Anyway, keep on keeping on everyone! We can do this!
FirstDietVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #73  
Maintaining since 6/9/11

S/C/G: 180/140.2/145

Height: 5 feet, 5 (and a half!) inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstDietVA View Post
Hi Everyone!
Just checking in. Lost 2 more pounds on my Friday weigh in! I also am going to my general doctor on Thursday. I am really excited to see my cholesterol and blood sugar levels. This past year the doctors have started to become concerned. Hopefully they will see good numbers now!

Also, I have had up and down days lately. I believe it's probably expected when your food intake is so limited and you are bombarded by food/snack commercials, see everyone else eating things you can't. But thanks to the support here I have not cheated. Sunday was the first time I actually had to have a snack before dinner. Not sure why but about 2 hours after lunch I was starving again! Today seems back to normal though. I keep telling myself the stricter I am with myself the sooner I can start introducing other foods! Looking forward to adding some fruit to this diet! Does anyone know if that is in phase 2 or 3?
Anyway, keep on keeping on everyone! We can do this!
Congrats on the 2lb loss! Great job.

Fruit is introduced in phase 3. It will be here before you know it.
Lucky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #74  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonSparkles View Post
Thank you! Last year I was on Synthyroid (levothyroxine) so I guess that one is not so dependent on the weight of the patient. I appreciate the information! It does require a lot of monitoring. I do see the doctor every month about it. Glad to know it's worth it to go so often! I will definitely reduce my dosage as suggested by my doctor.

I'm actually hypo, not hyper, which is why this lab result throws me for a loop. I'm so glad you feel better after only 3 weeks - and 9 pounds, which is fantastic, by the way!! Woohooo! I think I will have to find a new doctor for my thyroid issues because my current one just tests me and that's it. I'd like a doctor who listens and explains things. I suggested the Armour thyroid when I realized Synthyroid wasn't working and hadn't been working for the past 2-3 years. I guess Armour works better for me, but it works a little too well! Please let me know what you discover after your doctor's appointment. My BF is on this diet in the hopes that he will not need BP meds for his elevated BP. It's in the warning range where they first start giving meds for it. I will let you know how it goes for him. His BP is almost back down in the normal range, as he gets it taken 3x per week by a doctor at our chiropractor. He is planning to try to go off the BP meds with the blessing of the doctor.
OOPS... I mean.... I'm hypo-thyroid, too. That was a typo. Thanks. I will definitely let you know what I'm told. I've never been on Armour so know very little about it.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #75  

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
You have a right...I have been a little down today too about my daughter.

I order the proti-thin omelets (I think) the bacon and cheese.

here is the IP protocol....

1 packet for breakfast

1 packet for lunch with lettuce and 2 cups of veggies and 1 tsp evoo

6-8 ounces of meat (lean) and 2 cups of veggies and 1 tsp evoo and lettuce if you want

1 packet before bed

Of the three packets....one can be restricted.

When choosing your foods....

2 non-restricted should be around 100-120 calories and 2-5 carbs

1 restricted should be around 150-180 calories and 12-16 carbs

I buy the bars from NN...love the peanut butter, double peanut butter, and smooth peanut butter and jelly

I have eaten the same lunch salad for 8 months straight...yup it gets old.
I'm so sorry to learn that you're down about your daughter. I know exactly how you feel and can totally sympathize.

What is considered a "packet"? Is that the protein shake? Or any type of product that meets the "rules" of 2 non-restricted and 1 restricted? I think I'd be happier with more variety like that.

So far today I've had a shake and water for breakfast. For lunch I had a shake, 2 veggies and salad. Tonight for dinner I'm going to have a little steak and veggies and salad and water. I'm drinking at least 6 bottles of Ozarka (16.9 fl oz each or a little over 100 oz of water). Would love to have a coffee but can't have artificial sweetner, right?

I know I can do it. I recognize I'm just having a little pitty party and really appreciate the extra guidance that everyone is providing. I love this group.

Thanks