Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
Right now I am using you as motivation. We started the same day at the same weight and have the same goal....that is just so weird.

But you are 10 pounds less than me. I am kicking myself in the butt and marching for the 150's.

I have had 13 perfect IP days and I am over my initial cheating hurdle (this past weekend...I was perfect).

I am prepared to be perfect for the next 4-5 weeks and I know I will love the results after that time...then it is phase 2/3 and on to VEGAS for 9 days on June 28th!

I wanted to let you know that I started intensive resistance training with a personal trainer the first week in January and it is amazing how strong I am after 14 weeks....you are going to love working out again.

YOU HAVE DONE AMAZING AND SHOULD FEEL SO PROUD!
Another WOW congratulations on YOUR weight loss! I am also from upstate NY and started the program 8 weeks ago. I am a SLOW loser but I am still determined to get this weight off. I have lost 23 lbs. in 8 weeks. I have 40 left to go. I too am aiming for 150lbs. I have all summer. I don't care how long it takes! The only thing I miss is Pizza Hut pizza. I was a carb junkie and am not really bothered doing without now. Took awhile, but I now crave brussel sprouts!~~! Have a great week.
angelbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #17  
started IP 1.11.11

S/C/G: 242/209/175

Height: 5'7"

Juice: Thanks for being a daily inspiration to us all. You've done exactly what this diet intends- lose weight quickly and transition to the "real world". Wishing you huge success with your new work out regime. I've been an athlete all my life and can't wait to hit the gym when I get closer to goal.

Couts: Absolutely amazing transformation!! You must feel FABULOUS!!!

gin: We have similar start weights just like Darbs. I'm totally inspired by your weight loss. I feel so close yet so far away from my goal. People like you keep me on track!!

Here's to another IP week!! I'm trying to pay more attention to what I eat by measuring and sticking to protocol tighter than ever. These last 19 lbs need to leave my world in the next 6 weeks. I'm one antsy girl. Plus, the cost is crazy, plus I need summer fruit!!
ash825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 221/196/170

Height: 5'8"

WI#3 another 6lbs gone...total 13 pounds in 3 weeks!
GailMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #19  
Started Alt. IP 4/25/11

S/C/G: 200.4/191.6/165

Height: 5'4"

Default First Weigh In

Hi! I'm doing the alternative product and weighed myself this morning (started the diet on 4/25) and I am down 6.4 pounds! Yea!

Best part is that I feel better and this plan is so easy to follow - no counting calories or points, no food matching up from lists like on the 6WBMO. I even ate out twice this week and stayed on plan. My husband was like "Boy, you aren't going to stray from this are you?" I said "No way". In fact, he has some extra money come to him and bought the kids and himself a bunch of new clothes. I told him to hang onto my money for clothes for now. I am staying on this until my 42nd Bday on the 4th of July and then we will see where I am.

This week I am going to make sure I get to Curves all three days and add extra protein those days. I also start playing softball on the 21st, so will need to adjust for that. If anyone has any tips, please let me know.

You are all an inspiration to me!
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #20  
Janelle

Hey everyone! It is my first post! I have been doing IP for 4 weeks now, I had an amazing first 2 weeks and now I have been stalling. I think I need to be talked off the ledge, because I really want to quit today. I have had better success with other programs and had to give up less. I am so, so frustrated!
BellyRubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #21  

Default Lactic Acid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginBAM View Post
Thanks Darbs. I have been doing yoga, but every time I do weights I seem to be sore for days, even if I lower my weights. Any tips for getting rid of lactic acid?
If you trust the New York Times:

Quote:
May 16, 2006

Lactic Acid Is Not Muscles' Foe, It's Fuel

By GINA KOLATA

Everyone who has even thought about exercising has heard the warnings about lactic acid. It builds up in your muscles. It is what makes your muscles burn. Its buildup is what makes your muscles tire and give out.

Coaches and personal trainers tell athletes and exercisers that they have to learn to work out at just below their "lactic threshold," that point of diminishing returns when lactic acid starts to accumulate. Some athletes even have blood tests to find their personal lactic thresholds.

But that, it turns out, is all wrong. Lactic acid is actually a fuel, not a caustic waste product. Muscles make it deliberately, producing it from glucose, and they burn it to obtain energy. The reason trained athletes can perform so hard and so long is because their intense training causes their muscles to adapt so they more readily and efficiently absorb lactic acid.

The notion that lactic acid was bad took hold more than a century ago, said George A. Brooks, a professor in the department of integrative biology at the University of California, Berkeley. It stuck because it seemed to make so much sense.

"It's one of the classic mistakes in the history of science," Dr. Brooks said.

Its origins lie in a study by a Nobel laureate, Otto Meyerhof, who in the early years of the 20th century cut a frog in half and put its bottom half in a jar. The frog's muscles had no circulation no source of oxygen or energy.

Dr. Myerhoff gave the frog's leg electric shocks to make the muscles contract, but after a few twitches, the muscles stopped moving. Then, when Dr. Myerhoff examined the muscles, he discovered that they were bathed in lactic acid.

A theory was born. Lack of oxygen to muscles leads to lactic acid, leads to fatigue.

Athletes were told that they should spend most of their effort exercising aerobically, using glucose as a fuel. If they tried to spend too much time exercising harder, in the anaerobic zone, they were told, they would pay a price, that lactic acid would accumulate in the muscles, forcing them to stop.

Few scientists questioned this view, Dr. Brooks said. But, he said, he became interested in it in the 1960's, when he was running track at Queens College and his coach told him that his performance was limited by a buildup of lactic acid.

When he graduated and began working on a Ph.D. in exercise physiology, he decided to study the lactic acid hypothesis for his dissertation.

"I gave rats radioactive lactic acid, and I found that they burned it faster than anything else I could give them," Dr. Brooks said.

It looked as if lactic acid was there for a reason. It was a source of energy.

Dr. Brooks said he published the finding in the late 70's. Other researchers challenged him at meetings and in print.

"I had huge fights, I had terrible trouble getting my grants funded, I had my papers rejected," Dr. Brooks recalled. But he soldiered on, conducting more elaborate studies with rats and, years later, moving on to humans. Every time, with every study, his results were consistent with his radical idea.

Eventually, other researchers confirmed the work. And gradually, the thinking among exercise physiologists began to change.

"The evidence has continued to mount," said L. Bruce Gladden, a professor of health and human performance at Auburn University. "It became clear that it is not so simple as to say, Lactic acid is a bad thing and it causes fatigue."

As for the idea that lactic acid causes muscle soreness, Dr. Gladden said, that never made sense.

"Lactic acid will be gone from your muscles within an hour of exercise," he said. "You get sore one to three days later. The time frame is not consistent, and the mechanisms have not been found."

The understanding now is that muscle cells convert glucose or glycogen to lactic acid. The lactic acid is taken up and used as a fuel by mitochondria, the energy factories in muscle cells.

Mitochondria even have a special transporter protein to move the substance into them, Dr. Brooks found. Intense training makes a difference, he said, because it can make double the mitochondrial mass.

It is clear that the old lactic acid theory cannot explain what is happening to muscles, Dr. Brooks and others said.

Yet, Dr. Brooks said, even though coaches often believed in the myth of the lactic acid threshold, they ended up training athletes in the best way possible to increase their mitochondria. "Coaches have understood things the scientists didn't," he said.

Through trial and error, coaches learned that athletic performance improved when athletes worked on endurance, running longer and longer distances, for example.

That, it turns out, increased the mass of their muscle mitochondria, letting them burn more lactic acid and allowing the muscles to work harder and longer.

Just before a race, coaches often tell athletes to train very hard in brief spurts.

That extra stress increases the mitochondria mass even more, Dr. Brooks said, and is the reason for improved performance.

And the scientists?

They took much longer to figure it out.

"They said, 'You're anaerobic, you need more oxygen,' " Dr. Brooks said. "The scientists were stuck in 1920."
Sorry it's so long, sort of a long-winded way to say lactic acid isn't the bad guy... what it doesn't go on to explain is why you're sore after exercise -- in your case, weight training -- & I'm not an expert on that... but what I think I understand is that with resistance training, lifting weights makes tiny, pretty much microscopic tears in your muscles, & that's why you're sore... then your body, with the aid of the protein you eat, repairs those tears & that's what makes your muscles stronger & a little bigger... not a bad thing, it's what they're designed to do... the soreness will go away in a few days... btw, women never have to worry about bulking up unless they are taking drugs that do that... we just aren't made that way...

You may already know all that, but perhaps it'll help others who are afraid to weight train... I'm 100% convinced myself that resistance training is a good thing, in fact a great thing for almost any woman, regardless of age... I wish I had started it when I was young... but even at age 62, I can tell so much more difference in how I feel & how much stronger I've gotten over the past year since I started doing resistance training...

All that said, yoga is wonderful too & I'm glad to see you're doing that... you're doing great with this program...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #22  
Started IP 4/7/11

S/C/G: 280/253/185

Height: 5'11"

Morning ya'll. I had a great weekend. I did cheat last night. I ate some dang Easter candy and some hash brown casserole. I really did not feel guilty afterwards either. LOL. You give up a lot on this program and I have lost 16# in a little over 3 weeks. I gave in. This morning I got on the scale and was down another 1/2#. So today I will go right back to packets and veggies. Less than 4 weeks to meet my short term goal. I want to be at 30# mark for my sister's engagement party.
traeh1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #23  
Slowly Shrinking!

S/C/G: Size 18/Size 18/Size 12

Height: 5'8

Default Nsv!

Good morning all! I had two fantastic NSV this weekend.

#1 - I bought a MEDIUM size shirt for the first time in my adult life. So very happy. And cute.

#2 - I ran a 10k on Sunday and averaged a 12:22 pace which is almost 2 minutes faster than my previous attempts. Still slow, but WHO CARES? I'm moving in the right direction!

Now for my WI this evening; I'm not so confident. My home scale isn't showing too much progress, but my ADORABLE tiny clothes sure are! Measurements and sizes are so much more rewarding.

Have a great IP day, everybody!
MarcusBrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #24  
09/15/10

S/C/G: 246.8/161.4/156

Height: 5'4 1/2

angelbeliever, sometimes it may seem like you have a long time to reach your goal, but time goes by so fast that you will be there before you know it. Good luck to you.
ginBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #25  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
Good morning all! I had two fantastic NSV this weekend.

#1 - I bought a MEDIUM size shirt for the first time in my adult life. So very happy. And cute.

#2 - I ran a 10k on Sunday and averaged a 12:22 pace which is almost 2 minutes faster than my previous attempts. Still slow, but WHO CARES? I'm moving in the right direction!

Now for my WI this evening; I'm not so confident. My home scale isn't showing too much progress, but my ADORABLE tiny clothes sure are! Measurements and sizes are so much more rewarding.

Have a great IP day, everybody!
Good work! Its much faster than my none existent pace....LOL. I am so proud of you, awesome.
juiceman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 179/133.6/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman11 View Post
Good morning all! Hope everyone has a great week.

I would like to share with the group that I am taking a break from the program and may be finished with it. I want to get back into 6 days of weight training which will include intense cardio. What I have tried so far in past few weeks have left me wiped out and feeling terrible. Even adding in extra calories, shakes, bars, etc.

I know I did not phase off properly, but I want to see how I do in the "real world" food scene and being back in the gym. I have learned many things about foods while on this program and have so much knowledge to take with me. I will not go overboard with my choices, I just want to be done and finish my weightloss with better choices and exercise. I am giving it a week or 2 and will reevaluate coming back on protocol. Thank you to all who helped me out in the beginning and to all those who helped me out during.

I would like to tell Carla, thank you as she helped me a lot in the beginning and WELCOME back!! She is a wealth of knowledge as are other members here. You will all become more knowledgable as you progress through this journey. I consider my success of 80 lbs in 107 days a great success.

I will let you all know how it goes and if I jump back on protocol! Wishing everyone well, keep up the good work.
Good luck with the next part of your journey, John. I want to especially thank you for your help getting my son started on IP protocol with alt products. I'm happy to say he has hit the halfway point, an amazing 37.5 lbs in 4 weeks! Also, seeing his success, my oldest son lost 25lbs, and now my husband has finished his second week, and has lost17 in 2 weeks! The info you provided way key, and you can share a part in their success. Thanks!!!
blueandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #27  
Janelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by traeh1314 View Post
Morning ya'll. I had a great weekend. I did cheat last night. I ate some dang Easter candy and some hash brown casserole. I really did not feel guilty afterwards either. LOL. You give up a lot on this program and I have lost 16# in a little over 3 weeks. I gave in. This morning I got on the scale and was down another 1/2#. So today I will go right back to packets and veggies. Less than 4 weeks to meet my short term goal. I want to be at 30# mark for my sister's engagement party.
Hi there! I haven't cheated yet, but I have been (--) this close! Sadly, if I cheat, it will probably be with an adult beverage. IP has been a huge downer in my social life. LOL
BellyRubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #28  
09/15/10

S/C/G: 246.8/161.4/156

Height: 5'4 1/2

ash825, I agree about the summer fruit, I am really looking forward to that.

Aunt Sheshie, thanks for the post. I knew about the tearing but not about the lactic acid. Really helpful.
ginBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #29  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandwhite View Post
Good luck with the next part of your journey, John. I want to especially thank you for your help getting my son started on IP protocol with alt products. I'm happy to say he has hit the halfway point, an amazing 37.5 lbs in 4 weeks! Also, seeing his success, my oldest son lost 25lbs, and now my husband has finished his second week, and has lost17 in 2 weeks! The info you provided way key, and you can share a part in their success. Thanks!!!
I will still be around the forum. I just want to try this out. I do not want to grind out the last few pounds on a very restrictive protocol. I want to see if I can lose the remainder on real life foods and maintain and hit the gym.

I hope your son's and husband have continued success. Give them a for me. They will do great. Learn about the program and make it your own. I have 4 friends on my version right now and doing great! One of them said I should quit my job, make a few infomercials and sell my "John Size Me" program. I laughed.

Find a way to make it work in the real world and maintain it. Great job so far. The success is all yours and theirs. I just supplied the information and the largest part comes from an individual wanting to make the changes.

GREAT JOB!
juiceman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #30  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbeliever View Post
Another WOW congratulations on YOUR weight loss! I am also from upstate NY and started the program 8 weeks ago. I am a SLOW loser but I am still determined to get this weight off. I have lost 23 lbs. in 8 weeks. I have 40 left to go. I too am aiming for 150lbs. I have all summer. I don't care how long it takes! The only thing I miss is Pizza Hut pizza. I was a carb junkie and am not really bothered doing without now. Took awhile, but I now crave brussel sprouts!~~! Have a great week.

where abouts in Upstate...I am in the Lake George/Saratoga area. The diet is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash825 View Post
[COLOR="Red"]COLOR] gin: We have similar start weights just like Darbs. I'm totally inspired by your weight loss. I feel so close yet so far away from my goal. People like you keep me on track!!

Here's to another IP week!! I'm trying to pay more attention to what I eat by measuring and sticking to protocol tighter than ever. These last 19 lbs need to leave my world in the next 6 weeks. I'm one antsy girl. Plus, the cost is crazy, plus I need summer fruit!!
Ash...keep going....you are right at the point that I went crazy. I was 4 months in and at 188 pounds...starting my weight training and the scale wouldn't move and I got frustrated...tried Atkins for 10 days and then back to IP....and then off on my cruise....and it has been crazy since. If you just stick with it you will be done.

I also switched to alternative products to save money because I knew I had a million planned cheats because I didn't reach goal by end of February (plus I had reset my goal from 175 to 155ish). When I am 100% following plan...the alternative work awesome and cost 25% of IP...I order everything from nashau nutrition....the wrapping and numbers on the packages are the same as many of the IP stuff (weird).
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote