Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 180/165/135 start date 6/13/12

Height: 4"11

Today was a really challenging day :/ So glad 2morrow is a new day with new beginnings! WILLPOWER is the key to SUCCESS!
mholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #17  
Started IP - 4/11/2011

S/C/G: 203/193/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks everyone. My roommate, who is also on IP with me, was having a tough weekend. She said she wanted her life back. I understand her frustration but thanks to all of your support and advice, we both have made it through a weak moment :-)

Thanks to everyone!
FirstDietVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #18  
Maintenance since 8/2/10

S/C/G: 173/130/130

Height: 4'11"

Don't do it! You'll be so glad you stayed OP.

And this phase is not forever. You and your roommate will get to phase 2, 3 and even 4, and not have to give up so many things then. This is only temporary, but SO worth it!
cajunladybug22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #19  
Started Alt. IP 4/25/11

S/C/G: 200.4/191.6/165

This is day 8 for me and I haven't had a huge urge to cheat. I did have a sweet tooth the other day but I had ordered some Chocolate Crunchies from DietDirect and they did the trick. I'm not perfect either - like today for lunch - EAS SHake and some ground turkey chili verde and lettuce. Tonight will be chicken for dinner. I can't always get just veggies in and I have food I prepared that I have to eat due to my budget. Once they are gone, then veggies alone.

I was down 6.4 pounds this morning and that is week 1 and it was my TOM. I am hoping for a 4 pound loss this week.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #20  
joanne

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/155

I always think about cheating, but then i think about how great I feel after even losing 20lbs. and then I think about just burning the $80 I spent on IP food! I can;t afford to waste the money so it keeps me on track! hang in there
jo2155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #21  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Bump.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 223/208/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Bump.
I often see the "Bump" in threads. What does this mean? Thanks
ashwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #23  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

it is just a way of moving a thread that hasn't had much activity back to the first page for easy location and use.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 247/189/145

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by korsstubbe View Post
When I get the urge to cheat, I ask myself if it's worth it--usually the answer is no. Sometimes I just need to go to the mall and walk--count fat people and decide I don't want to be one of them anymore--that urge goes away. And it's easier to count normal weight people is what I've found.
That's hilarious!! I do sometimes look around and see that I am the ONLY fat person around, and it makes me more motivated to start IP and really, truly say goodbye to this body forever. Thanks for sharing!
katiebeth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:23 AM   #25  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

Well, I could tell you "do not cheat" but I can't since I have done it ... I think cheating is a waste of time and money, but still I have done it - For personal experience, it's very hard to come back to the program 100%, it takes a lot of will power... good luck to you, and always remember this group is a great support system regardless your desicion

Last edited by foreveryoung; 05-05-2011 at 02:24 AM.
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 231/204/190

Height: 6'

I love the counting fat people idea, that is so true. I look around and am amazed at the number of fatties out there. Arent you glad that you have chosen to do something about it? Also the price of food each week definately keeps me from cheating. I am not paying 100.00 a week just to cheat and throw my money away. Good luck and keep your chin up, the sacrifice will all be worth it in the end.
FLAMINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #27  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I am a high school teacher and I am stunned at the number of teenage girls who are overweight....definately the majority...even the "thin" ones have extra pounds. It is sad because I fear they will become obssessed and have eating issues. This is a society issue and something major has to change. My poor daughter has so much weight to lose...at 21 she was almost 300 pounds. She is currently around 235 after 3.5 months on IP....hopefully she keeps going, but she just enrolled at pastry school and starts in a week....I fear she may backslide....I wish I had done more when she was little. She literally was born chubby and stayed chubby growing up (size 14/16 in high school). She left home and moved in with her boyfriend a few weeks before graduating from high school and gained 100 pounds in a few months (he was also overweight).

I have been trying to come up with a way to make a difference for young girls without causing them to obssess....any ideas?
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 185/182/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
I am a high school teacher and I am stunned at the number of teenage girls who are overweight....definately the majority...even the "thin" ones have extra pounds. It is sad because I fear they will become obssessed and have eating issues. This is a society issue and something major has to change. My poor daughter has so much weight to lose...at 21 she was almost 300 pounds. She is currently around 235 after 3.5 months on IP....hopefully she keeps going, but she just enrolled at pastry school and starts in a week....I fear she may backslide....I wish I had done more when she was little. She literally was born chubby and stayed chubby growing up (size 14/16 in high school). She left home and moved in with her boyfriend a few weeks before graduating from high school and gained 100 pounds in a few months (he was also overweight).

I have been trying to come up with a way to make a difference for young girls without causing them to obssess....any ideas?
Boy do I wish I had an answer for that. My daughter also has always been chubby. She is 11, 5'2", and currently weighs about 190, and wears size 14 in women.

One of the reasons that I decided to do IP, was that I wanted her to see me doing something about my weight, instead of me complaining about it and just getting heavier. When I started IP, she decided to diet too. Not IP of course, but a more balanced low sugar diet. She has lost 20 lbs.

It was a difficult thing to talk about her weight. It brought up my own insecurities from my mother always telling me how fat I was. I was scared of making her obsess over her weight, like my sister and I always have. I don't know if she will obsess over her weight or not. But I try to be very gentle with her, and just steer her to make the right decisions, and compliment her when she does.

What I hope for my daughter, is that we (she) can get her weight down, and learn all the benefits of healthy eating while she is still young. And I hope that this will give her the tools to maintain.

But you're right, it is a societal issue. The only thing I know to do is to be a better example for my kids, and hopefully they will carry it on to their kids, etc.

Last edited by brandam6; 05-05-2011 at 03:37 PM.
brandam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 148/132.4/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post

I too am a high school teacher, and I too am surprised at how many overweight young people there are - including boys! I walked into a classroom one day and there was only 1 boy who was not overweight. I couldn't believe it. I wasn't very big in high school (size 7/9 at 5'5") but I was also never super lean. Just average. I can't believe that 5 years later there are so many girls way worse off than I have ever been.
amoderngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 196/188/125

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandam6 View Post
Boy do I wish I had an answer for that. My daughter also has always been chubby. She is 11, 5'2", and currently weighs about 190, and wears size 14 in women.

One of the reasons that I decided to do IP, was that I wanted her to see me doing something about my weight, instead of me complaining about it and just getting heavier. When I started IP, she decided to diet too. Not IP of course, but a more balanced low sugar diet. She has lost 20 lbs.

It was a difficult thing to talk about her weight. It brought up my own insecurities from my mother always telling me how fat I was. I was scared of making her obsess over her weight, like my sister and I always have. I don't know if she will obsess over her weight or not. But I try to be very gentle with her, and just steer her to make the right decisions, and compliment her when she does.

What I hope for my daughter, is that we (she) can get her weight down, and learn all the benefits of healthy eating while she is still young. And I hope that this will give her the tools to maintain.

But you're right, it is a societal issue. The only thing I know to do is to be a better example for my kids, and hopefully they will carry it on to their kids, etc.
One thing that might help is having Health teachers who teach nutrition actually KNOW something about nutrition. My daughter is 15 and they are currently studying Nutrition. She came home yesterday steaming from the 'nutrition' that she was taught yesterday in class. My daughter knows more about nutrition in her pinky than the teacher did.

The teacher said people who do Low Carb and High Protein have it all backwards because the high fat in protein causes them to take 2 steps back in loosing weight. Huh?? No explanation of good vs bad fat. No dicussion of lean protein vs high-fat protein. No discussion of good vs bad carbs. No explanation of whole grains vs processed/bleached flour and what whole grain actually means.

So - if we want schools to help and teach nutrition - then those teaching need to know a little bit about it.

I'm of the opinion that good nutrition is taught at home. But it's difficult when most of us don't have a good concept of what Good Nutrition actually is. Where were we going to learn it??

People talk about what we eat on IP - but in reality - 2 cups of veggies with salads and lean protein IS good nutrition. Making it a habit to eat your carbs from veggies ensures you get the RDA of veggies. If you stick to 5 veggie a day - you can't help but eat most of your carbs from veggies...you are probably too full to fill up on sugar crap.

I'm lucky that my daughter has always been cautious of what she eats. She was reading labels at age 10 and decided on her own to tell me to stop buying Chef in a can stuff b/c she saw the fat content. She does not have a weight problem but is a muscian rather than an athlete. She's decided on her own that - while she's comfortable with her weight and jean size she wants to firm up for the bathing suit season so she has started running.

I'm also proud to say she told the class - it's not about what you CAN and can NOT eat. It's about how much you eat. Which is true for normal folks and what we'll learn in Phase 4 once we heal our pancrease and level our insulin so our bodies function like 'normal' folks.

Until society stops looking for the fast and quick meal and starts to really understand nutrition and the importance of whole foods - I'm afraid nothing will change and each generation will be sicker than the next. How else will they learn than what they are taught and the examples they see.

I commend you guys for taking control and learning about nutrition so you can be great examples for your daughters. I really believe it starts at home. We are all on our way to be better examples for all of those around us. It has to start some where.

I'm getting over being made fun of for eating my kale chips at work - when everyone else is eating M&Ms.

EDIT: After reading this - I just want to make it clear I'm not bashing ALL teachers. Just this specific case - that if it's the lesson she was teaching that day she should have researched it a little more or had a guest speaker to speak about it. She gave mis-information and half-information. I don't want to come across as Teacher Bashing and sometimes it's hard to get your pont across over the internet.

I couldn't be a teacher AT ALL!!! :-)

My biggest point was - no wonder kids are over weight. With information comes power. We must have correct information and desire inorder to change.

Last edited by slickmouse; 05-05-2011 at 05:44 PM.
slickmouse is offline   Reply With Quote