Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #46  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondre View Post
Hey everyone - busy week - haven't been on and won't be on much this weekend.

I moved my weigh ins from Mondays to Thursdays so had WI #8 last night (finally counted lol) - and I'm still confused on the results.

Easter weekend I did pretty good staying away from candy - had a few small dark chocolate things but considering everything I did refuse and not eat that was pretty good. That being said - I was bored and found that I eat when i'm bored and ate way too much protein - even stuff like sausage/bacon.

WI #8 had me gain 5 lbs. - little more than I expected, however - here's what's confused me.

WI #6 - weight 295.2, bf% 36.2 - Muscle Mass 179.2
WI #7 - weight 292.0, bf% 33.5 - Muscle Mass 184.8
WI #8 - weight 297.0, bf% 29.6 - Muscle Mass 198.8

What's confusing me is according to the clinics scale I've gained almost 20 lbs. in muscle over the last 2.5 weeks and shed 15 lbs. of fat and a total of 6.5% body fat. I'm not working out at all, I did go golfing one day - a 30 minute walk another - and easter weekend I was a glutton of fatty food but did play in the pool w/ my daughter every day for 4 days and carried her on my shoulders around the zoo (prob about a mile of walking w/ her 37 lb. frame on my shoulders).

I can see gaining some muscle from those activities - but certainly not 20 lbs. worth. Also - my home Omron handheld monitor has been more consistant with the bf% around 33% still.

Is there something that can cause a scale to read dramatically off? Normally I would think this was a 1 week fluke but 2 WI in a row showing a similar trend. Comments would be appreciated.

And btw - if the scale is accurate and I traded 5 lbs. of weight gain to shed 10 lbs. of fat then that is a huge SV for me despite the gain.
Here are my thoughts on your results and numbers. I am also assuming the scale you get these numbers from uses an electrical impedance type measuring, has metal plates in the scale that you stand on?

These types of devices can be effected by many things throughout the day and can be very inaccurate. Your hydration level, having just eaten or not, I think too, caffine can even effect the readings. I know the scale I was using at the clinc when I went made no sense with the numbers I would get from week to week. I would suggest if you have a place to do it, is have your body fat % checked using the caliper skin fold method. It is the most accurate besides doing a water immersion weight. The person needs to know what they are doing to give you good readings.

As far as your numbers, I think this is what is happening. Here is a simple example: a person weighs 100 lbs, they are 50% fat and 50% lean mass. So they have 50 lbs of fat and 50 lbs of lean mass. This person loses 20 lbs of fat. Now they have 30 lbs of fat and 50 lbs of lean mass and weigh 80 lbs. Thus, this makes their % of lean mass go from 50% to 62.5%. As you lose fat and your weight drops, it is going to increase your lean mass number.

I am not saying you have not gained some lean muscle mass, you could have but to pack on 20 lbs of lean mass, would take a lot of heavy lifting and would virtually be impossible with our calorie and protein intake on this program.

I would also suspect that the up in weight has to be from fluids and possibly glycogen stores being built back up in your muscles if you did eat off protocol over the holiday. For you to have gained 5 lbs of fat you would have to have consumed over 18000 calories! Not likely. It is quite possible you have added some NEW lean mass to your body.

Hope this helps. I would look into your body fat % number with skin fold caliper method. You can then determine a better "healty" weight for yourself. I am 5'11" and the BMI chart says I should weigh around 175-185 I think. I got my body fat checked and I am at 12.4%. If I were to lose all my body fat, I could make it to 185. So my goal of 200 will put me in the sub 10% and that is where I want to be. A male between 30-35 years of age, should be between 11%-17%. I am already there but want to lean up some more, so that is why I am shooting for 9% BF.

Hope this was not confusing and I hope it was helpful.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #47  

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondre View Post

WI #8 had me gain 5 lbs. - little more than I expected, however - here's what's confused me.

WI #6 - weight 295.2, bf% 36.2 - Muscle Mass 179.2
WI #7 - weight 292.0, bf% 33.5 - Muscle Mass 184.8
WI #8 - weight 297.0, bf% 29.6 - Muscle Mass 198.8

What's confusing me is according to the clinics scale I've gained almost 20 lbs. in muscle over the last 2.5 weeks and shed 15 lbs. of fat and a total of 6.5% body fat. I'm not working out at all, I did go golfing one day - a 30 minute walk another - and easter weekend I was a glutton of fatty food but did play in the pool w/ my daughter every day for 4 days and carried her on my shoulders around the zoo (prob about a mile of walking w/ her 37 lb. frame on my shoulders).

I can see gaining some muscle from those activities - but certainly not 20 lbs. worth. Also - my home Omron handheld monitor has been more consistant with the bf% around 33% still.

Is there something that can cause a scale to read dramatically off? Normally I would think this was a 1 week fluke but 2 WI in a row showing a similar trend. Comments would be appreciated.

And btw - if the scale is accurate and I traded 5 lbs. of weight gain to shed 10 lbs. of fat then that is a huge SV for me despite the gain.
I'm wondering if you (or your coach) are confusing muscle mass and lean body mass. Not the same thing. Lean body mass includes fluid, muscle, bones, everything in your body. If you gained 5 lbs- that's 5 extra lbs of lean body mass (i.e. fluid).

Bioelectrical impedance is not terribly accurate- especially the scale type. So many variables impact it- time of day, excess fluid, salt, etc. Not to mention what clothes you are wearing (socks!). It's probably best to take an average of the readings and that would be closer to the truth.

ETA: Yeah, what juice said. He beat me to it. (LOL)

Last edited by M0vingon; 04-29-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 149/126.4/125

Height: 5

Talking

[QUOTE=

I absolutely know how some of you become scale whores... I got out of the shower, ran downstairs to the scale (by the front door) to weigh myself this morning. Although I felt a bit pathetic (naked in the foyer), I did see the 140's for the first time in a long time. I'm excited to complete this phase of the journey and move to the next.
[/QUOTE]

Don't beat yourself up too much, a TRUE scale whore would know that you never weigh after a shower, that moisture on your skin and hair counts too you know....
Old 04-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 323/288/230

Height: 6' 2"

Thanks all for the comments - Juice - you're right it is a metal plate scale using the impedence reading. I had eaten later in the day and was drinking coffee on the way to the meeting.

My water % went up over 1% as well - I guess I'll see what next weeks scale readings show - I should be on a normal day then - last few days i've been really lacking on sleep and thus inreased my coffee intake.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #50  
Maintaining since 6/9/11

S/C/G: 180/140.2/145

Height: 5 feet, 5 (and a half!) inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkie13 View Post
Don't beat yourself up too much, a TRUE scale whore would know that you never weigh after a shower, that moisture on your skin and hair counts too you know....
Thanks for the laugh!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #51  
AnitaNewBody

S/C/G: S172/C155/G150

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Quote:
This is so true...hahhah

Made my day thanks Elkie
Old 04-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #52  
AnitaNewBody

S/C/G: S172/C155/G150

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Default I didn't get to start IP yesterday

while at the office of the IP rep, I was told I have to get written permission from my dr to start the program due to arrythmia which has made me gain weight from the meds. Kind of ironic dont ya think? Has anyone had trouble with their heart rate while on IP?
It will take weeks to get to see him but have decided to do the alternate program while I wait.

Such a great supportive group of IPers

I am @ work while everyone has gone to the pub for beers and burgers
PST it's just lunch time

I just started and thought I better not temp myself

Last edited by Anitanewdiet; 04-29-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 160/158/138

Height: 5'7"

LOL about weighing after the shower- why am I laughing? Because I weigh before the shower. I have long hair and if it's wet, well... What kind of scale whore would I be?

I am so pressed for time. I'm working late and going to be late for my dress rehearsal which I have to go to. Otherwise I cannot sing in the concert tomorrow!

SO - Can I just have a packet for dinner? Is that ok on this diet when it's that or not eat? I just don't have the time.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #54  
IP started 4/25/11

S/C/G: 265/Seeticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Absolutely have a packet! Definately better then nothing, and No harm either.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 258/214/150

Height: 5'3

Default back from wi

well, i am back and i lost a total of 1.5 lbs. it should have been more but i had to eat before. my wi was not till 12. pm. today, next week, i will make sure i go first thing in the morning!

Last edited by crystalchuckgracie; 04-29-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 256.7/211/155

Height: Start Date: 2-18-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post
Actually, it was really weird. I guess I haven't discussed the details of the program with a guy before. I felt strangely uncomfortable.

Congrats on your great NSV. That must have felt great! Good luck at your WI tomorrow and have a great time on your vacation...
Well girl, hopefully you'll go from it feeling weird to it feeling great cause I have a feeling you'll have to get used to it soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoderngirl View Post
I had an NSV last night - I was trying to figure out what to wear and decided to try on some clothes that I haven't been able to wear for the last couple of years - and they fit! I couldn't believe it. I figured I would try them on to see how much further I have to go until I fit in them, and found out I already do!

I'm having a harder time picking out clothes because I have more options now, and I don't have to pick out things that hide my flaws. It's exciting and overwhelming.
Congrats! I know what you mean by the clothes thing being exciting and overwhelming...such a weird mix of feelings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
Good morning IPers. Hope everyone has a fantastic day.

ONDERLAND at last....
Last night was WI # 11 2.5lbs... so total 43 lbs and 21.5 inches in 11 weeks. I am happy about that but.... as my wis have been slow my coach and I have decided no restricted items to see if we can shock my system to losing more. So I have decided to do IP Bootcamp this week, and see what happens. My coach is now on vacation for 2 weeks so I am hoping to be at 50lbs by the time she returns. It has been an amazing journey and more and more people are noticing, even my coach has commented. The ways I noticed are.... sorry guys but new bra and new undies.. never even thought about size change in undies but boy were my old ones baggy... funny how all of a sudden they are fine and then oops boy these are baggy.

Hope everyone has a great weekend I had the last week off as I needed a break and got some spring cleaning done and raked part of my yard before it started raining... at least we didn't get snow like they were forecasting... well it is just about 7:00am and my dogs are wanting their walk so Off I go.. Staying OP
Awesome!! Congrats on your success so far....I'm hoping to join you in wonderland sooner rather than later

Quote:
OMG Love it!

So had my week 10 WI this morning and while I was up 0.1, I still managed to lose 2.5 inches and considering I had 2 unplanned cheats this past week and I started TOM this morning, I'm NOT sad. Even my coach was super proud of me considering I've been on phase 3 this week and she said it's not uncommon to gain 2-5 lbs. back in glycogen stores. So I'm now on phase 4 for the next 2 weeks and am looking forward to out Disney trip! I have my meals all planned out for the most part and sure am looking forward to my "cheat days" LOL.

Congrats to everyone on their NSV's today and scale ones too!
Old 04-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #57  
Started IP March 29, 2011

S/C/G: 220/IP:177/**ticker**/140

Height: 5'5

I hit the jackpot today! I was heading back to work from lunch and noticed a Cash and Carry grocery store that I had never been in before. I had a few extra minutes, so I stopped in to check it out. I found EVERY SINGLE bottle of DaVinci and Torani SF syrups on the market! And to boot, they were only $3.77 a piece!
I only had a $20 dollar bill on me, so I could only pick out 4.

It was like a kid in a candy store! I couldn't decide what I wanted!
No more ordering them from netrition for me, I couldn't ever beat this price!

Now...if I could only find the WF products locally...
Old 04-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by locks View Post
I love training 6 days a week Juice, always eat before and after and I feel good. After my work out my body is phyicically tired but the recoperation time is fast, and I sleep like a baby. Now with a lean body your going to see nice changes in your form. I have seen skinny men with no bulk and little calves with their healthy bmi, but give me a man with some bulk and larger bmi wooo hooo lol, much healther looking for sure. Plus when we train we seem to stand and walk different, taller and shoulders back like were proud of our frame now. I am not skinny yet, but I have nice shoulders now so its slowly changing!
locks, I'm in total agreement about men with skinny calves!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by locks View Post
Good morning IPers, sitting here watching the wedding on tv sipping the ip chocolate drink thinking wow I love crossing my legs now~~ Hope everyone has a supper IP day.
Every time I cross my legs, I think how good it feels to be able to do that after many, many years of not even getting close... & it's kinda sexy-looking too... hey, at my age (I just turned 62 on Tuesday), I'll take anything I can get!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post
Actually, it was really weird. I guess I haven't discussed the details of the program with a guy before. I felt strangely uncomfortable.
The first person who commented on my weight loss was a guy... since then, there have been several, so I'm sure that guy wasn't the last one you'll get compliments from... get used to it!!!..

hugs
Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #59  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
(I just turned 62 on Tuesday
HAPPY [belated] BIRTHDAY!
Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #60  
Love

S/C/G: 287.3/228.3/160 restartApr25

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone!
I'm happy to say I am in ketosis - woohoo! Took me three days (I tested yesterday, day4).
Went to lil Wayne concert last night. Ate salt and vinegar ridges before as the concert was 2 hours delayed. And lots of water.

I'm definitely back in the swing of things and feeling great. I haven't gone in for an official weigh in as I'd like to get back to the weight I was before I fell off program. I might go next week - just for motivation. We shall see.

I'm glad I got my control back before school/clinical starts!
Closed Thread