3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Big Mac in a Bowl (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/232016-big-mac-bowl.html)

fiesty1ca 04-27-2011 10:55 PM

Big Mac in a Bowl

Hi there. I'm sorry to start a new post about this...I have heard about Big Mac in a bowl and need to get my hands on this recipe!! Anyone have it? Sounds great and would almost feel like cheating! Thanks in advance!!

ontariophotogal 04-27-2011 11:47 PM

Welcome neighbour :) Here you go

* 1/2 pound raw ground beef, about 5 1/2 ounces cooked weight or 153 grams cooked *
* Salt and pepper, to taste
* 1 teaspoon minced dry onions
* 46 grams dill pickle slices or 2 dill spears, chopped, about 1 5/8 ounces
* 2 tablespoons WF Thousand Island Dressing
* 1 1/2 ounces iceberg lettuce, shredded

Brown the ground beef, drain off any fat, season with salt and pepper.. Meanwhile, soak the dry onions in a little water to rehydrate them. Put the meat in a large salad bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Toss and eat at once.

fiesty1ca 04-28-2011 08:54 AM

Thank you so much, ontariophotogal!! Much appreciated and sounds delish! Where abouts are you in Ontario...close by me?? Have a great day!!

GailMarie 04-28-2011 09:14 AM

can't wait to get my "1000 Islands" so I can make this

Treena 04-28-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GailMarie (Post 3827137)
can't wait to get my "1000 Islands" so I can make this

If you're impatient, make it with mustard. It still tastes amazing!

jigglefree 04-28-2011 10:14 AM

This sounds tasty. Can you use ground turkey as well?

disgal 04-28-2011 11:49 AM

Just had it last night!! LOL!!! LOVE IT!! DH and I make it once or twice a week!! YUM!!! ;)

Treena 04-28-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglefree (Post 3827249)
This sounds tasty. Can you use ground turkey as well?

You bet! I use ground turkey in place of any ground beef recipe. The beef tastes better of course. But you can do whatever you want!

ontariophotogal 04-28-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiesty1ca (Post 3827108)
Thank you so much, ontariophotogal!! Much appreciated and sounds delish! Where abouts are you in Ontario...close by me?? Have a great day!!

You're welcome :) I think we must be close because I'm in the Niagara Region as well, close to the Falls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treena (Post 3827214)
If you're impatient, make it with mustard. It still tastes amazing!

I've done it both ways, I definitely prefer it with the WF 1000 Island ;)

Losingtime 04-28-2011 12:57 PM

Has anyone made it with regular diced onions as opposed to the dehydrated/re hydrated ones? Does it make much of a flavour difference? I do something similar with taco meat on salad and a little salsa and lemon juice as dressing...soooo good.

WendeeLou 04-28-2011 01:09 PM

0o0o0o I am so gonna make this for lunch today! cant wait!!

Treena 04-28-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Losingtime (Post 3827551)
Has anyone made it with regular diced onions as opposed to the dehydrated/re hydrated ones? Does it make much of a flavour difference?

It probably doesn't make a difference, as long as you don't add them until the end (so they don't caramelize). It's just easier for me to rehydrate the dehydrated ones, as I always have some and I don't have to cut onions. :D Rehydrating them also makes them soft, and they're smaller than I can cut manually.

amylew 04-28-2011 03:39 PM

IMO, you need the rehydrated onion for it to actually taste like a Big Mac. Real onions aren't going to do that.

amandie 04-28-2011 03:42 PM

This sounds SO good! I will have to try this sometime soon.

sandyfanny 04-28-2011 07:22 PM

This sounds great. One question: What is "WF Thousand Island" dressing. (of course I know what Thousand Island is...WF? not so much)

Oh, just popped in my head...is it Walden Farms? So, the Thousand Island is good? (assuming WF means Walden Farms) I can be picky if the substitutes taste "weird" or "chemically" - made up that word. Does anyone make her own sugar-free Thousand Island?

fiesty1ca 04-28-2011 07:28 PM

[QUThis sounds great. One question: What is "WF Thousand Island" dressing. (of course I know what Thousand Island is...WF? not so much) Thank you!OTE][/QUOTE]

WF is Walden Farms. They make calorie free dressings, syrups, etc. You can buy it from lowcarbgrocerydotcom and usually at Tops in the States...HTH!

pixie sticks 04-28-2011 07:40 PM

omg this sounds awesome! how many servings does that recipe make?

Love2travel 04-28-2011 08:50 PM

Mmmm - my favourite recipe :)

GettingItOff 04-30-2011 02:37 PM

Shredded cabbage

I make mine with shredded cabbage so I can count it towards my 2 cups veggies and it tastes delish!

phall8180 04-30-2011 02:44 PM

This is a good dish! My Hubby & Kids loved it!!! I just picked up WF Ranch, they didn't have thousand island. I also saw honey dijon! I picked it up at Stop & Shop in the produce dept! Wish I could get my hands on some WF PB!!

GailMarie 04-30-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phall8180 (Post 3830290)
This is a good dish! My Hubby & Kids loved it!!! I just picked up WF Ranch, they didn't have thousand island. I also saw honey dijon! I picked it up at Stop & Shop in the produce dept! Wish I could get my hands on some WF PB!!

IMHO...the peanut butter is disgusting! I love regular peanut butter and I was so excited to get mine in the mail only to find that it is the most vile tasting thing I have ever put into my mouth:p
Let me know if you like it when you do find it.
Have a great IP weekend!:D

GailMarie 04-30-2011 09:11 PM

OH MY GOSH!!! This is the best thing I've tasted in 3 weeks of this diet!! I will definitely be making this often!

CheekyWit 05-02-2011 04:39 PM

Bump for those looking to find this recipe

fiesty1ca 05-02-2011 05:47 PM

Wow, made this last night and it was a dream!! Thanks so much!! If you close your eyes, you really are at McDonald's!! Mmmmmmm :)

justbeu 05-04-2011 03:48 PM

RE: Big Mac In a Bowl

Hi there,

I don't post often but I had to tell you that this was DELICIOUS!! I did make my own 1000 Island dressing. It is a low fat, low calorie dressing. I also used ground turkey. I will probably eat this salad for days as Big Macs are a comfort food for me. Very, very good!! Thanks so much for posting the recipe!!

Peace and blessings !
Gwen

Treena 05-04-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justbeu (Post 3836149)
Hi there,

I don't post often but I had to tell you that this was DELICIOUS!! I did make my own 1000 Island dressing. It is a low fat, low calorie dressing. I also used ground turkey. I will probably eat this salad for days as Big Macs are a comfort food for me. Very, very good!! Thanks so much for posting the recipe!!

Peace and blessings !
Gwen

Can't go wrong with big mac in a bowl. I go through lots of pickles at my house, for sure! :)

Have you posted your recipe for homemade 1000 Island dressing? I'd love to learn how to make it!

Aimes 05-04-2011 06:11 PM

yes please post it!!!! I know its probably not zero zero zero but I still want to know:)

justbeu 05-05-2011 07:27 PM

Hi,
This is not my recipe for the 1000 Island Dressing..I got it from Food.com.
It is very good. I used my inversion blender to mix it very well. I also added a couple of teaspoons of water to thin it out a bit. I think the Greek Yogurt that I used makes it extra thick and creamy. I use 2 Tablespoons on my salad.

1 cup plain non fat yogurt - I used non fat plain greek
3 tablespoons pickle relish
3 tabelspoons chili sauce
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon minced onions
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard

Combine all ingredients, refrigerate at least an hour

Servings per recipe - 24
Serving size - 1 tblsp
Calories per Tblsp - 14
less than 1 gr. fat, 1 gr. protein, 2 gr carbohydrate
56mg of sodium

I hope that you like it and there isn't all of the chemicals found in prepared dressings!!

Gwen

amaliayosa 08-26-2011 05:55 PM

This looks amazing! Lunch tomorrow!

showgirlaz 08-26-2011 06:22 PM

This is amazing!! It was Jordanna's creation. I have started adding a few of the dill pickle zippers to the salad to give it some crunch and added pickle flavor.

amaliayosa 08-26-2011 06:28 PM

I dont have access to the WF 1,000 island this weekend. And other ideas?

jordanna 08-26-2011 06:43 PM

Ingredients:

5 oz Extra Lean Ground Beef
1/4 c finely chopped onion
1/4 c finely chopped dill pickles
3/4 c finely shredded iceberg lettuce
1 - 2 tbsp WF Thousand Island Dressing
1 oz Low Fat Cheddar

Directions:

Cook up extra lean ground beef, drain fat and return to pan and add seasonings of choice (I used garlic powder, onion powder, Mrs. Dash, salt & pepper).

Remove beef from heat & mix in WF Thousand Island Dressing, pickles & onion

Spread lettuce on plate, add beef mixture on top, sprinkle with cheese.

Enjoy!

Here is a low carb Thousand Island Recipe if needed:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sugar free ketchup
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons Splenda
2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon white onion, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon salt
dash pepper

**mix all ingredients in a bowl & refrigerate for an hour

showgirlaz 08-26-2011 06:54 PM

I can't remember who, and I haven't found it yet, but one of the ladies on here posted a yogurt based thousand island dressing using yogurt, a bit of mayo (WF I think), sugar free sweet pickle relish, sugar free ketchup, and some seasonings. Maybe you can play around and come up with something that works? If not, these recipes below might point you the right way.

Most Thousand Island dressing has quite a lot of sugar, but this sugar-free and low-carb version is just as good. Feel free to vary the balance to your own taste.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 cup of dressing
Ingredients:

¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup sugar-free ketchup
3 tablespoons sugar-free relish, such as Mt. Olive Brand
1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Preparation:
Mix ingredients together and adjust to taste. Depending on the exact ingredients, you might want to add a little more ketchup or even some sweetener.

Nutritional Information: One tablespoon has half a gram of carbohydrate and 35 calories.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/low...d-Dressing.htm

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=308878 low fat and less than a carb per serving

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ing39430.shtml

If worse came to worse, I think the grocery store offers a low carb thousand island that has about 2carb per tbsp maybe you could just use less of it?

Travel Gal 08-26-2011 07:15 PM

It is Walden Farms. I've heard mixed reviews on their Thousand Island, though the majority don't like it (except in this recipe). I happen to like most of their products that I've tried so far, so it's at least worth a shot!

Bellamack 08-26-2011 08:19 PM

I can't stand Walden Farms, so I use Jordanna's homemade recipe. Yum. I make everything like she posted above, except I don't use any cheese. This is the best recipe! thank-you Jordanna!

amaliayosa 08-26-2011 08:45 PM

Can we have mayo in phase 1?

Bellamack 08-26-2011 08:47 PM

Not really, but I still use her recipe and use the light mayo.

amaliayosa 08-26-2011 09:26 PM

Good to know. Going to whip up some 1,000 island tomorrow and have this for lunch. Been eating my main meal at lunch. Thanks! BTW I HATE fake mayo, lowfat, no fat etc and would rather have none than the icky crap.

jordanna 08-26-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amaliayosa (Post 4008711)
Good to know. Going to whip up some 1,000 island tomorrow and have this for lunch. Been eating my main meal at lunch. Thanks! BTW I HATE fake mayo, lowfat, no fat etc and would rather have none than the icky crap.

I use hellmans mayo that's mixed with evoo and just count it as my fat for the day. I only have Big Mac in a Bowl once a month or so...I wouldn't suggest mayo everyday :)

tjlhj 08-27-2011 01:55 PM

THANK YOU for this recipe!! I cannot wait to have this tonight!!
SOOO excited.... I need something new!