Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/196/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Vegetable/side Dish Recipes

I have read every post in the recipe section, and there seems to be a lot of meat/fish recipes. I am totally fine with cooking my proteins, but what I am really struggling with is honest to goodness vegetable recipes. Any suggestions would be fabulous.
Thanks
GailMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #2  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

I have one that I use for greens like spinach and swiss chard. Once I bake chicken, I save the juices. I saute the spinach in pam with a little zesty salt free seasoning then I had have a can of Rotel or if I am off the tomatoes, just the juice. Last, I add the chicken juices and let it simmer until the liquid is gone. I then put the greens on top of the chicken.

Today I did the same thing for dinner but had miracle noodles instead of the chicken. I used chicken bullion for the broth. It was delish.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #3  
in need of help!

To accompany a steak, instead of mashed potatoes, I use CELERIAC or TURNIPS. Boiled, mashed, add salt and pepper and a little stevia in the turnips. Quite good.

I also love to sautée my brocoli in olive oil and garlic...a little crunchy but very good!

Sauteed mushrooms in olive oil and garlic salt with red peppers.

Zuchini sticks (cut like fries) dipped in egg and after in some kind of mixture of spices (replaces "breading")and fried in olive oil.

For salad dressing: olive oil, soya sauce, grated ginger, pepper, mustard, stevia (or sweetener)...MMMM!!!! Also good as a marinade.

Grilled veggies on the BBQ are awesome...in foil,you just add whatever: peppers, mushrooms, swiss chard, bok choy, brocoli...add your spices and voila!
gigi1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 246(H)/238(IP)/(ticker)/150

Height: 5'3"

i often saute my leafy green veg: escarole, chard, spinach, pea shoots, pea tendrils, napa cabbage, etc. with some cloves of garlic, a pinch of red chili flakes, and some salt.

I will also roast the following after tossing in olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper: cauliflower, broccoli, turnips.

Lastly, I've been exploring what I can grill. One thing I liked pre-IP (and now need to figure out how to approximate it) was grilled raddichio. My hubby would quarted the head, toss with olive oil, basalmic vinegar, and honey (so maybe the WF basalmic dressing would work?) then grill until smokey and wilted. And for Easter, I just tried grilling okra. Again, toss in EVOO, salt/pepper then grill on high heat until charred and tender. Careful though, I have been warned the okra is a high carb veg, about 7g per 1/2 cup. It was so yum!!! and a few spears was satisfactory.
nerdigrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #5  

AWESOME!!! Thanks you guys! I live in a very isolated community and we don't get a huge variety of veggies, so I'm really trying to be creative but I'm just not that type, so any suggestions are fab!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #6  

Come on all you veteran IPers...you must have more veggie recipes than this??