Old 04-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #1  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

Default Hating the packets

I've been on IP for 2 weeks. Lost 10 lbs but I can no longer handle the packets. There are a couple that don't make me absolutely gag, but why torture myself? I've also noticed that I get headaches about 30 minutes after consuming any of the drinks. These usually have a high amount of artificial sweetner, so I'm wondering if I'm intolerant? I never consumed AS before this diet.

So... I'm thinking of going rogue and doing this with regular protein powder from ye olde health food store. Way cheaper, and I can ditch the sweeteners or switch to stevia.

The protocol has helped me *radically* change my eating habits, but I'm not sure those packets hold any magic for me. My coach hasn't been much help, is not well-informed, and I suspect she's only in it for the $$$.

Others with similar experience?
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/145/145

Height: 5'7"

Smile

I have been lurking on this site since January and I have never posted.
I had the same problem with the packets, so I am moved to make this my first post.

I cannot do artificial sweetener of any kind- headache and nausea problems. My coach helped me look at all the ingredients in all the packets and we found some without sucralose. I ate the omelet, and either cinnamon or lemon bars, every day. I was also able to eat the cereal if I put lots of cinnamon in it. There are other packets without sweetener, but those are the ones that worked for me.

Stick with it if you can. This diet works. I lost 36 pounds, and since Thursday, I am on phase 4 maintenance.

Good luck to you.
wyoskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #3  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

I don't think the soups have any sucralose. They are coming out with broc and cheese soon, so you would have four potential soups. I've heard only one soup per day because of sodium, but they aren't restricted so I guess that's not official.
Pxlkitty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/145/145

Height: 5'7"

Here is a list of nutritional info, including info on sucralose.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nutritional Fact Sheet.pdf (33.7 KB, 51 views)
wyoskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Try those packets without sweeteners. I love the soup...

Most protein powders have fake sugar in them, otherwise they taste gross!

If you absolutely cant take them then you could consider eating real protein from lean sources. I expect it will be a slower loss, but should still work.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

I agree about the artificial sweetners...I think it is a huge bummer that IP foods contain Sucralose (which is really just a poison that your body doesn't absorb so that it why it is calorie free) and soy for that matter. But, I am hanging in there with the attitude that it is only temporary.

I too had headaches for a month or so...but it did go away. I know that a sensitivity can be real, but it may also pass, hard to say.

I agree, there is no magic in the packets. What they really help for a lot of people is mental. It is easy and done for you. I know that I may have not stuck with something if I did it all on my own (at first). I too have now started using other products and am still fully committed. I think that will be the key for you. Good luck!
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurdnerd View Post
I've been on IP for 2 weeks. Lost 10 lbs but I can no longer handle the packets. There are a couple that don't make me absolutely gag, but why torture myself? I've also noticed that I get headaches about 30 minutes after consuming any of the drinks. These usually have a high amount of artificial sweetner, so I'm wondering if I'm intolerant? I never consumed AS before this diet.

So... I'm thinking of going rogue and doing this with regular protein powder from ye olde health food store. Way cheaper, and I can ditch the sweeteners or switch to stevia.

The protocol has helped me *radically* change my eating habits, but I'm not sure those packets hold any magic for me. My coach hasn't been much help, is not well-informed, and I suspect she's only in it for the $$$.

Are you getting all your water requirements in? That might help with the headaches. It's poss. for sure you're having a reaction to the sweeteners. Some people just do, like my sister. You could switch to a non sweetened protein powder, add vanilla extract and liquid stevia (the really good kind from the HFS, from freshly extracted plants and no dextrose, maltodextrin, like most of the packets have) You can use unsweetened almond milk (silk brand) to thicken the home made shake. It's only 35 cals. per 8 oz, only 1 carb and low fat.The process of elimination will help you hone in on what is causing the reaction.
So far, are you OK with the omelettes and soups? what else? are you having the stew? what i did was add two meal portions of lean ground turkey to the IP Hearty Stew, added taco type seasonings or whatever else you like. I divided them in half to give me 2 meals. So one would be lunch and one would be dinner. Then just add your daily veggies for a nice meal.
If you hate the egg omelettes, just use egg whites instead in the morning, spinach, green pepper, whatever is allowed and have an omelette.
We'll help you modify, so this works for you.
There is also an alternative version of IP posted in the IP Phases sticky, with more food choices that might be the ticket for you, so you can stay within IP guidelines, maybe lose just a bit slower, but you'll burn fat the right way and maintain your muscle mass, which is important. Read below and let me know how you're doing.

Ogdog13

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130
Height: 5'5"
Alternative Plan - Phase 1 - To Be Followed Until 90% Of Your Wieght Goal Is Achieved
Breakfast
1 IP packet
plus one group choice ( will list groups below)
plus coffee/tea with 1 oz skim milk
sweetener allowed

lunch
1 IP packet
plus 1 group choice
plus
2 cups select veggies and unlimited lettuce

dinner

7 oz fish or 5 oz meat from select choice
plus 1 group choice
plus 2 cups select veggies

snack

1 IP packet

Compulsory

64 oz water

1-2 teaspoon olive or grape seed oil

regular IP supplements

IMPORTANT: only one choice from each GROUP is permitted per day. ALL THREE GROUPS MUST be consumed per day.

GROUP 1

2 slices toast ( whole grain, pumpernickel, rye, multigrain,sourdough, stone ground whole wheat, oat bran, sprouted grain)
150 grams whole wheat pasta
150 grams brown rice ( not instant)
1 sweet potato, or small boiled potato
60 grams oatmeal ( non instant)
150 gram - 200 grams couscous
50 grams unsweetened cereal (bran, oat, whole grain or barley)
150 grams cooked legumes (chick peas, lentils, green peas, kidney beans)
150 gram corn

Group 2

fresh fruit ( example: 1 grapefruit, 1 apple, 2 kiwis, 150 g pineapple, 1 banana,200 g strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries.
fruit is allowed, but optional, and must not be replaced with another food group.

group 3

1 sugar free yogurt
1 - 60 oz glass milk (2% M.F or less)
30 gram cheese (about 20% M.F)
120 g cottage cheese
60 g feta cheese

Meat, veggie, seasoning choices are the same as regular phase 1.
sunnymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #8  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

Thanks for all the replies and support! This is a great group.

It's not just the sweeteners, it's the overall flavor/texture. At first I liked the puddings, but now I gag on the texture. I find all the soups disgusting, and as mentioned previously, I don't seem to tolerate the drinks at all. That leaves about 3 things I can eat that aren't restricted. I do agree that the program works, but I'm just not willing to suffer that much.

I've been thinking about it for several days now, and I've decided to ditch the protein supplements altogether. I've actually been substituting real food protein for the packets since yesterday morning, and am feeling much better. Not sure if it's the AS or the whey, but something doesn't agree. BTW, for those that didn't know, sucralose is not the only sweetener used. The far worse one is acesulfame-potassium or acesulfame-K. It's the main sweetener in most of the drinks.

I don't regret trying the program, since it helped me kick a serious carb/sugar habit... but I don't think it's quite right for me over the long term. Best wishes to all.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

I don't like to eat the puddings as pudding either. Have you tried adding water and drinking them? Also, they tend to clump (even in a shaker) so I have been using a Magic Bullet and they are smoooth.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies and support! This is a great group.

It's not just the sweeteners, it's the overall flavor/texture. At first I liked the puddings, but now I gag on the texture. I find all the soups disgusting, and as mentioned previously, I don't seem to tolerate the drinks at all. That leaves about 3 things I can eat that aren't restricted. I do agree that the program works, but I'm just not willing to suffer that much.
The diet isn't for everyone of course, so good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Otherwise, though, I'd also recommend being creative with the packets. The diet forced me to do that - both with vegetables and the packets. I HATED all the puddings from the start, for the texture, exactly as you said. GROSS. I gagged my way through them, literally. However, although I don't add enough for it to be drinkable, I find that if I add an extra ounce or so of water, it stays thick enough to be pudding, and it's smooth, which is how puddings should be!
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #11  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

Met with my coach today. She is sooooo passive and uninformative... it's disturbing.

Anyway, I told her I was ditching all artifical sweeteners and wanted to switch to "Protocol 2" which gives me real food for lunch and dinner. I still consume 2 packets, but at least 1 of them will be "restricted" so hopefully those will be somewhat tasty.

Was able to trade all my unwanted packets for other things, so no $ down the drain. Now if I can just figure out what to do with those nasty soup packets. Off to the "packet hacks thread.

Cheers!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #12  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Height: 5'11"

Quote:

About 6 weeks ago I switched to protein powders from my "ye old health food store" with great results. I also found replacements for the suppliments except for the potassium / calcium suppliment. My coaches were terrible and just wanted money and could never answer a question. I would get inconsistent measurements, so I just quit going and do it all on my own. I was able to buy around 7-8 weeks of product for the cost of 2 weeks of IP products. I still follow the IP protocol, just do not use their products and everything is working. Feel free to PM me if you would like other info.

I think I might also be switching to the athletic protocol once I start lifting if the normal protocol isn't cutting it.
juiceman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 258/214/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman11 View Post
About 6 weeks ago I switched to protein powders from my "ye old health food store" with great results. I also found replacements for the suppliments except for the potassium / calcium suppliment. My coaches were terrible and just wanted money and could never answer a question. I would get inconsistent measurements, so I just quit going and do it all on my own. I was able to buy around 7-8 weeks of product for the cost of 2 weeks of IP products. I still follow the IP protocol, just do not use their products and everything is working. Feel free to PM me if you would like other info.

I think I might also be switching to the athletic protocol once I start lifting if the normal protocol isn't cutting it.
what brands do you use?
crystalchuckgracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #14  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalchuckgracie View Post
what brands do you use?
GNC 100% Whey protein powder, Isopure zero carb protein powder and occassionaly I have pure protein bars.
juiceman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #15  
IP started 4/25/11

S/C/G: 265/Seeticker/140

Height: 5'5"

So..
For those who are following an alternative/on your own type of diet with the IP protocol..

Are you doing 3 drink meals with lean protien for one meal and 2 meals of veggies??

Or are you doing 2 lean protiens and 2 drinks/shakes??
MInewgoal is offline   Reply With Quote