3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Vitamix Recipes for Doing IP (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/228285-vitamix-recipes-doing-ip.html)

GettingItOff 03-17-2011 08:19 PM

Vitamix Recipes for Doing IP

I need some help using my Vitamix. What can I put in with the veggies that will help make them taste better?? Anyone have any ideas? I'm getting sick of the veggies and used my Vitamix all the time prior but mixed in fruit and stuff.

Shetaz 03-17-2011 08:32 PM

Add ins for veggies

Quote:

Originally Posted by GettingItOff (Post 3763318)
I need some help using my Vitamix. What can I put in with the veggies that will help make them taste better?? Anyone have any ideas? I'm getting sick of the veggies and used my Vitamix all the time prior but mixed in fruit and stuff.

Lots of members have mentioned pureeing veggies and adding them to the soups - have you tried mixing up a soup and adding it to the Vitamix blend? You'd probably want to warm it up and drink it hot, but then maybe not. Depends on your personal preferences, I suppose.

I personally don't like the puree effect, as I had a jaw injury in college where I had to live on pureed stuff for weeks, so I am not fond of drinking my food.:(

I would also encourage you to visit the recipes threads and cut and paste some that you think you might like. They have been my saving grace these last few weeks. The oven roasted asparagus is amazing, as are the turnip fries. :) I know I was getting sick of steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and discovering new veggies, as well as new ideas for cooking old favorites, has really helped me get my 4 cups in every day.

Sherilyn

GettingItOff 03-17-2011 09:20 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I have seen the recipe threads and will have to look at them more closely. The Vitamix didn't upset my stomach but eating raw veggies seems to upset it. I'll try pureed veggies. I was just used to putting something sweet in there to make it taste better.

If anyone has a good recipe, please let me know. I'd like to blend. Thanks

GettingItOff 03-18-2011 02:39 PM

Not So Good

I tried some green herb salad mix, cuke, tabasco sauce, rice vinegar and salt and some celery. It didn't taste so good. Darn...if anyone has any good tasting blends please let me know. I like the consistency but need to know, should I add some splenda or what? I used to use fruit and protein powders but we can't eat fruit and I used a generic protein powder that's not on this plan.

RetroChick 03-19-2011 07:04 AM

I have a vitamix too and hate just seeing it sit. I've thought about trying to get my veggies in by mixing cabbage and cucumber along with a vanilla packet to try for a smoothie. Haven't been brave enough yet, but this is still only my second week.
Also had the Leek soup packet and it was ok, but vitamixed with cabbage might tone down the onion and give it a smoother flavor.

GettingItOff 03-19-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroChick (Post 3765172)
I have a vitamix too and hate just seeing it sit. I've thought about trying to get my veggies in by mixing cabbage and cucumber along with a vanilla packet to try for a smoothie. Haven't been brave enough yet, but this is still only my second week.
Also had the Leek soup packet and it was ok, but vitamixed with cabbage might tone down the onion and give it a smoother flavor.

Yea, I'm completing my first week, day 6 for me. What vanilla packet are you talking about the pudding mix? That might be ok, only thing is I was told by my coach that was a snack. I get one serving of fruit once a day with a meal so maybe I should use that for the veggies but I used to use a few fruit servings in the vitamix along with the veggies, about 40 fruit and 60 veggies with fruit juice and powders.

Maybe someone will come along and give us some great ideas. I want to stay on track if I use it. I may try again with just veggies, and tabasco and salt. Maybe some spenda would perk it up too since we can't use fruit.

RetroChick 03-20-2011 10:44 AM

Interesting what different coaches say. I can use any packet at any time, just some can't be had more than once a day, and a couple can't be had more than a couple times a week (I'm not even trying those for a while).

Yes, I meant the vanilla pudding packet. :) I'm just not brave enough to go out on a limb and try for a veggie/vanilla smoothie, yet, but think the pudding would give some sweetness and body to the smoothie.

Please post your recipe if you create a great vitamix smoothie that's on plan!

GettingItOff 03-20-2011 01:08 PM

I'm hoping someone out there has tried a recipe that's IP ok for Phase I and liked it. I may try again when I get bored with what I'm eating now. I experimented the other day and it wasn't so good. I may try some other stuff. I just learned we can use chicken, beef or vegetable broth so I may simmer some greens in that for my meal later.

stinhoutx 03-29-2011 05:22 PM

The sweet fruit drinks might do well with some veggies. I got in the habit of making fruit/veggie smoothies the last year or so. I learned to not mix greens with reds...the resulting browns were a bit unsettling. LOL

The fruity drink mixes seem awfully sweet to me, but this last time I mixed the cranberry pomegranate with some celery and frozen spinach. It wasn't too bad, but I am probably used to the combination.

Otherwise, I am using my VitaMix to mix up the soups and breakfast drinks with hot water rather than heating it after the fact.

GettingItOff 03-29-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinhoutx (Post 3781633)
The sweet fruit drinks might do well with some veggies. I got in the habit of making fruit/veggie smoothies the last year or so. I learned to not mix greens with reds...the resulting browns were a bit unsettling. LOL

The fruity drink mixes seem awfully sweet to me, but this last time I mixed the cranberry pomegranate with some celery and frozen spinach. It wasn't too bad, but I am probably used to the combination.

Otherwise, I am using my VitaMix to mix up the soups and breakfast drinks with hot water rather than heating it after the fact.

That sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try it. Maybe the fruit drink with some cucumber and celery.

stinhoutx 03-30-2011 08:45 PM

I did it today, and one problem I have with the protein and celery is it creates a lot of foam that doesn't go away easily. Next time I plan to blend the veggies with water first, maybe some ice, then slowly incorporate the mix pouch.

GettingItOff 03-30-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinhoutx (Post 3783626)
I did it today, and one problem I have with the protein and celery is it creates a lot of foam that doesn't go away easily. Next time I plan to blend the veggies with water first, maybe some ice, then slowly incorporate the mix pouch.

Other than the foam was the taste good? I always get some foam when I use it but notice after I store it that it's gone.

stinhoutx 04-01-2011 12:47 PM

The fruitiness of the mix is pretty good and masks the flavors of the veggies pretty well, though I like the taste of the spinach this way now.

When I say foam, I mean my 8 oz of liquid and IP mix plus less than a cup of frozen spinach and one celery stalk completely filled the 32oz container, with maybe two oz of liquid at the bottom. :-)

rubyh 04-01-2011 04:03 PM

Not sure about vitamix, but when I used to make smoothies I would use strawberry protein powder, ice, water, and frozen broccilli. It worked really well. I think the frozen veggies were the key. Just an idea.

GettingItOff 04-01-2011 04:16 PM

Foam

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinhoutx (Post 3786680)
The fruitiness of the mix is pretty good and masks the flavors of the veggies pretty well, though I like the taste of the spinach this way now.

When I say foam, I mean my 8 oz of liquid and IP mix plus less than a cup of frozen spinach and one celery stalk completely filled the 32oz container, with maybe two oz of liquid at the bottom. :-)

I see what you mean now. I used spinach, water, the Pineapple drink, half cucumber and some basil and cilantro, salt. The foam is unbelievable. I'm thinking of next time, maybe, not to put it on the high setting. I think the variable high will blend just as well. It never foamed like this before so I'm thinking it's the IP packet contents. I've used other protein powders and never had a problem with THIS much foam!