Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #181  

S/C/G: 182/182/125

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by r101 View Post
Hi,

I just moved from the east coast to Seattle. I was wondering if any of the IPers could suggest an IP clinic either in downtown seattle or bothell?

Also does anyone know if you join one clinic, if the membership/support etc is transferable to any other IP clinic?

Thanks in advance!
I'm pretty sure there is one in Bothell, if you go to the ideal protein website and request IP locations you'll find it. I go to a place called Westenhaver Chiropractic in Lynnwood, it's about 15 minutes from my work in bothell.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 225/156/125

Height: 5' 0"

Hey everyone. I made chicken teriyaki stir fry tonight and it was SO good! Making an IP acceptable teriyaki sauce was surprisingly easy. I just used 1/8c of low sodium soy sauce, 2 packets splenda and an 1/8c of water. It was SO good! Cooked up some peppers, brocolli and chicken with it. So glad that I found acceptable teriyaki. I just might have gone crazy without teriyaki for such a long time!

In my attempt to boost my weight loss this week (I SO badly want to reach 199, just 4 lbs away!!) I have been drinking 100 oz of water. I don't know how the rest of you drink so much water! I feel like I am going to float away.

I am starting to get headaches this week. Perhaps I need more sodium now that I am drinking much more water? Maybe I am just getting the awful cold that is going around but I will hope it is a sodium issue!

Last edited by Lalison; 03-06-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #183  
Started IP 2/24/11

S/C/G: 189/185/150

Height: 5'4

Lilason - what week/day are u ? I know week 2 I went into heavy ketosis. And felt horrid. I should pass. Add water in and salt in. That helped me a lot. Glad u have the teriyaki safety net!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #184  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
I really wish there was a way to go through and delete excess posts in there... Even if they aren't your own.
I have asked Lennie that question and I'm waiting for a response. I agree, it would be nice to have faq be just that a quick reference and not a ton of chat. The problem is who moves in the faq's so you don't just keep repeating the same question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
Hi showgirlaz, can I have excedrin? I take it for miagranes so wonder if still ok?
this may vary by coach, many things do, but, I was told YES.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:31 AM   #185  

S/C/G: 225/156/125

Height: 5' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastergirl411 View Post
Lilason - what week/day are u ? I know week 2 I went into heavy ketosis. And felt horrid. I should pass. Add water in and salt in. That helped me a lot. Glad u have the teriyaki safety net!
I'm in week 7. I have a feeling I am getting a bug as I should be used to ketosis by now!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #186  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyonIP View Post
Thanks Darbs! I was a tight 14. Size 4 is what is in the picture. I can't walk up the stairs comfortably in them, but hey, they buttoned! I was a XL in tops XXL if it was a brand that shrunk, now I'm in a Medium. You are doing great, I don't see you as "overweight" either! (your previous post) Next cruise you go on, you'll be in a bikini smokin it!!!
Well, first you look very very good....so small...that is great.
Second, yup looking for that bikini next cruise (Feb 2012)
Third, according to the numbers I am very overweight...I do feel great and my size 8's fit so well....no muffin top...nice and smooth. When I look at my pics I feel great, but mentally I need a much smaller number.....at least 25 pounds before I can feel that I am "okay". Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyesnmt View Post
Im a little confused and maybe someone can help me out if they would. I have read that some people are looking for alternatives like muscle milk and Nashua products to take instead of IP packets. They may be cheaper but are you getting the same benefits that you are from taking IP packets?Money is tight for me as it is for everyone else so if these are cheaper and you get the same losses as you do with IP, then why stick with IP that cost so much? I hope someone can help me out there.
I started in September and used strictly IP for 4 months....I followed the diet to a "T"....I mean no one single bite off protocol...not a bite....I lost 52 pounds in that time...yippppeeee, but then I started to get stressed about the strictness. The last 2 months I have had 2 week long vacations (Vegas and a cruise) and several overnights. When not away I have been very good, but I am also exercising. I have lost 14 more pounds, many inches, and dropped another size in this time. The last 6-7 weeks I have used alternative products and they seem to work.

My daughter and her husband have been on the diet since New Year's Eve and she is done 47 and he is down 62. They have done the diet totally with alternatives, under my guidance. He only had 75/80 to lose, she has 125 to lose....men stink!

If you can afford it, I would stick with the IP products as long as you can and then switch to alternatives if you need to. Good luck with your journey.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #187  

S/C/G: 139.1/132.4/119

Height: 5'2"

Itchy Burning Eyes - Good Sunday Morning Everyone - I Have Been On Ip Now For 1 Month And Am Experiencing Itching, Burning Eyes - I Don't Have Allergies (or At Least Never Did) But This Started When I Started The Ip Products. Has Anyone Have Similiar Experiences.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #188  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Kate View Post
Itchy Burning Eyes - Good Sunday Morning Everyone - I Have Been On Ip Now For 1 Month And Am Experiencing Itching, Burning Eyes - I Don't Have Allergies (or At Least Never Did) But This Started When I Started The Ip Products. Has Anyone Have Similiar Experiences.
Hi, I get this sometimes. It usually happened the day after I ate to much salt, mostly in the morning. I also got this before I started IP.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #189  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

My coach has said a few things that I haven't seen reflected on the boards, so two (hopefully) quick questions for those more experienced...

1) She said we can have up to 5 packets during the first 2 weeks. Those extra snacks sure make the program seem more friendly when starting.

2) She said we are eating approximately 900 calories per day. I put all my food into livestrong dot com and yesterday came to 800, even with extra packets. I might need to add a little more olive oil or eat bigger portion of meat.

Have others been told similar things? Also, is there a specific calorie amount that we shouldn't go under? I know that with traditional diets the body reacts by decreasing metabolism when calories are cut. I think it's a little different when you are in ketosis, though. Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #190  

S/C/G: 318/291/220

Height: 6'3.5

Default Passing it on!!!!!

Two weeks ago today I took my shopping so she could start a modified version of IP. She is 65, has fibromyalgia, peripheral neuropathy, and has been over weight about 20 years. She isn't very active. Today was her 14th day on protocol and she has lost 15 lbs. She was so excited! We both have a ways to go but I was really excited for her and her journey bc she hasn't been able to get out and get around bc of her health. Thank you guys for all of your support on here. She is almost computer illiterate, so on her laptop I put a direct link to the ideal protein forum where she can get ideas and see people's victory. Have a great Sunday everybody!!!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #191  

S/C/G: 190.4/136/140

Height: 5' 5"

Good morning, I am happy to report that I am down 3.2 lbs and 4 inches...YAY!! I went out and bought myself a new pair of American Eagle jeans...size 8 and I still need a belt!! Now, I'm going to catch up on my reading for the weekend!
Have an awesome day!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #192  

S/C/G: 265/244/185

Height: Started IP 12/8/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman79 View Post
Two weeks ago today I took my shopping so she could start a modified version of IP. She is 65, has fibromyalgia, peripheral neuropathy, and has been over weight about 20 years. She isn't very active. Today was her 14th day on protocol and she has lost 15 lbs. She was so excited! We both have a ways to go but I was really excited for her and her journey bc she hasn't been able to get out and get around bc of her health. Thank you guys for all of your support on here. She is almost computer illiterate, so on her laptop I put a direct link to the ideal protein forum where she can get ideas and see people's victory. Have a great Sunday everybody!!!!!
Wow! That is great. 15lbs gone forever. If she is looking on, congratulations . Stories like yours keep us motivated and excited
Old 03-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #193  

Default Avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manysizes View Post
... I dearly miss the idea of my daily multigrain sandwich with sliced avocado, swiss cheese and chicken. In WW points (which I did before this) that sandwich had about 7 points but it tasted so good! I feel like I am grieving my carbs and am going through some kind of denial/resentment that I can't have them anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegsi View Post
2manysizes I personally wouldn't touch Avocado with a 10 foot pole. It is super duper fatty! Not good! Its carbs and sugars are fine but the fat content 234 cal per 146 grms(1 cup sliced) thats going to add up over the long run! Just my opinion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I, too, would avoid avocado, mainly because of the calories. But a cup of pureed California has 35 g fat; Florida avocado has 23 g. And the calories for each is about 100 higher than above. But just as a side note, the fats are GOOD fats.
For sure the tropical fruit of which you speak -- luscious fatty avocado -- isn't appropriate on the lower fat recommendations of Phase 1, Phase 2 or Phase 3. Once you're at goal, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it -- healthy fats and soluble fibre to feed the "good" bacteria in your gut.

2manysizes Giving up favourite foods for the short term is a challenge and something we all have to confront. Dairy and grains have components that are similar to but not as strong as heroin and oxycontin. The fact that you want them isn't weakness on your part ... your body is addicted to them! The pull they have on you will diminish fairly soon if you stay away from them. If it becomes unbearable for you, add a little extra olive oil (or whatever fat you're using) or have an egg, hard-boiled or poached.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #194  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post
My coach has said a few things that I haven't seen reflected on the boards, so two (hopefully) quick questions for those more experienced...

1) She said we can have up to 5 packets during the first 2 weeks. Those extra snacks sure make the program seem more friendly when starting.

2) She said we are eating approximately 900 calories per day. I put all my food into livestrong dot com and yesterday came to 800, even with extra packets. I might need to add a little more olive oil or eat bigger portion of meat.

Have others been told similar things? Also, is there a specific calorie amount that we shouldn't go under? I know that with traditional diets the body reacts by decreasing metabolism when calories are cut. I think it's a little different when you are in ketosis, though. Thoughts?
The introductory information sheets I received last year had the advice to have up to 5 packets in the first week.

I'm pretty sure the quick weight loss comes on this diet because of the reduced caloric intake. The low carb and sufficient amounts of high quality protein make the reduced calories easier to do because there are few to no cravings and less hunger/more satiety.

About the specific calorie totals, after a while I used my hunger and other body signals as a guide rather than using the carb/fat/calorie totals. I say after a while because when I started I wouldn't really have known true hunger if it came up and kicked my butt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman79 View Post
Sandman -- you must be so thrilled for your Mom! Thanks for letting us know how well she's doing. She's probably super-proud of you and of herself.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 03-06-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #195  
Started IP Feb 4,2011

S/C/G: 160/160/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post
Also, is there a specific calorie amount that we shouldn't go under? I know that with traditional diets the body reacts by decreasing metabolism when calories are cut. I think it's a little different when you are in ketosis, though. Thoughts?
I knew I had read something about the metabolism issue so I went searching. Here is what I found at trantiendiet.com:

Your body is able to turn its amino acids, particularly those in your muscles, into glucose when carbohydrate (simple and complex sugars) intake is significantly reduced. That natural process, called GLUCONEOGENESIS, keeps your blood sugar level constant even when sugar is eliminated from your diet. What happens with those so-called 1,200- to 1,400-calorie balanced diets with a balanced carbohydrate intake? Well, they challenge your body more and promote weight gain.

Let me explain: a 1,200- to 1,400-calorie diet that includes carbohydrates often prevents the body from drawing on its reserves, resulting in little to no weight loss; however, 1,200 to 1,400 calories per day is not enough for normal activities, which require 2,000 calories per day.

The problem: the body easily adapts to deprivation.
When faced with lasting deprivation, your body decreases its needs and energy expenditure to adapt, and once you go back to eating a normal amount of calories, it might be overwhelmed because it is no longer accustomed to that many calories. It became used to chronic deprivation.

Paradoxically and contrary to what is believed, the above situation is less likely to occur with the protein-sparing diet, which has fewer calories. Why? Simply because the significant drop in carbohydrate intake forces your body to burn its reserves efficiently. And remember, 2 pounds of fat equal 9,000 calories. Therefore, your body will not have to deprive itself because it’ll have all the energy it needs.

In summary (my take on this): getting rid of carbs promotes gluconeogenesis which helps your body to pull energy from its reserves instead of going into deprivation mode.

Last edited by HokieHi; 03-06-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Closed Thread