3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Tomato Basil Soup? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/227202-tomato-basil-soup.html)

mymooser 03-03-2011 11:19 PM

Tomato Basil Soup?

Has anyone tried the new tomato basil soup?
I tried it and I have to say I actually liked it. I hate all the other soups.
But I would like it a whole lot more if I had something else added to it. Cause like all the other soups it needs to be watered down a lot as it still tastes like a vitamin supplement. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm no chef and I can't think of anything that would help it.

ash825 03-03-2011 11:27 PM

I added a bunch of random spices and fresh garlic. For vegs, I added all 3 peppers and some onion. Then, my favorite part, I added a ton of fresh cilantro. YUMMMMMsss.

Susanmly 03-04-2011 09:25 AM

It is a little bland, I add garlic powder and some sea salt and it tastes much better.

2RIDEROLLERCOAST 03-04-2011 12:10 PM

I have added asparagus and mushrooms. I have been looking for fresh basil to add to it as well as I like mine to taste a little more basilly. And Mrs Dash as well.

NonieRuns 03-04-2011 04:40 PM

Good to know that some like this new soup. I just got it this week but haven't tried it yet.

I "liked" the mushroom soup at first (others were just okay and similar anyway) especially with added mushrooms but today I had a harder time gagging it down.

Do you all add more than the 8 oz. of water (recommended)? I find it just too thick--like thick gravy and I'm not a huge gravy fan to begin with!

smh321pa 03-05-2011 08:39 PM

I always use 250 ml of water to mix the soup in one pan and heat on low to medium heat. In another pan I saute my 2 cups veggies, add whatever spices I want and then add anywhere from 1 to 1-1/2 cups of low sodium fat free chicken broth. After bringing veggie/broth mixture to a boil, I add the veggie/broth to the soup and it makes a large serving bowl of soup that fills me up very well. I never eat any of the soups "straight".

sgorny 03-06-2011 03:26 AM

I actually like the Tomato Basil Soup with 8 oz water, extra sea salt, and Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning - gives it a zip!

Pxlkitty4 03-06-2011 12:28 PM

I have tried it once, just by itself, and it was ok. When I told my coach I liked it "but just ok", she mentioned that a few of her IPers had added apple cider vinegar and lots of fresh basil. I will try that next time.

Maureen123 03-06-2011 11:50 PM

Tomato Basil Soup

I found that it wasn't strong enough on the basil also.....fresh basil or dried helps. I usually microwave it and just steam my veggies (zuchinni, mushrooms and peppers) in my bowl, shake up the soup and add it to the veggies.....then microwave it for a couple of minutes and then it's more like an creamy minestrone style. Not bad....takes away some of the powdery taste.

mymooser 03-10-2011 06:15 PM

So this is what I've done. It's probably cheating so I've been limiting it to once maybe twice a week.

I first take 1/4tsp of garlic olive oil and 1tbsp of minced garlic. Brown the minced garlic.
Then I take about 8oz of water and 2oz of low sodium chicken stock. Boil it.
Then I take 1tbsp of tomato paste add it.
Then I mix in the power.
If I have left over broccoli or zucchini then I'll heat that to add.
Sea salt & pepper to taste.

But doing that toasted garlic and the tomato paste really makes a differance. It looses the power taste and gives it a consistancty of thick real soup.
Yumm!

Now I just wish I could have it with a grilled cheese sandwhich like how I used to eat tomato soup :(
haha

How bad am I cheated by preparing it this way?...

RetroChick 03-13-2011 01:53 PM

I did not like the soup even with a few additions.

However, I can see adding this to extra lean ground beef, along with egg white, finely chopped green pepper, minced dried onion, maybe some finely chopped mushrooms, sea salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash to taste, and having one heck of a delicious meatloaf or meatballs!

2Balance 03-13-2011 05:16 PM

I blew it and bought all the soups because I love soup. But I don't like any of them. However, I made a curried zucchini and cauliflower soup and buried a 1/2 packet in there. I split my packets so I don't have to eat a whole packet of soup or eggs. That really helps me.

I am on week #2 and have lost about 10 lbs.:D:D

kamikazecat 03-14-2011 10:34 PM

I must be in the minority. I really wanted to like this soup and couldn't stand it even after I doctored it up. This was in my first week though. I am wondering if my taste buds have adapted now...I may need to give it a second try.

2manysizes 03-18-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamikazecat (Post 3758596)
I must be in the minority. I really wanted to like this soup and couldn't stand it even after I doctored it up. This was in my first week though. I am wondering if my taste buds have adapted now...I may need to give it a second try.

I added a little less water, some garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper and a capful of apple cider vinegar. It's way too sweet and the vinegar cuts the sweet taste and makes it taste more tomatoey. As another member mentioned, I have also added a teaspoon of tomato paste. It's only 1.5 gram carb and didn't affect my loss.

Shetaz 03-19-2011 12:26 AM

Tomato Soup Tweaks

I am not real fond of the tomato soup, but today I tried it again using the apple cider vinegar trick (as well as extra basil, garlic powder, etc.) mentioned previously. That helped quite a bit. However, I like my tomato soup more like Campbell's, so I added some WF ketchup in addition to everything else, and I thought that improved it immensely, also. But I'm weird and like catsup on my tacos (well, taco salad, now), too. :p

Sherilyn

Susie_Bee 03-20-2011 10:29 AM

Thank you for posting all of these tips/tricks! I am going to give the tomato soup a second try today. I really disliked them first time around! I am usally a big soup fan. I love Campbell's (or Aylmer's) tomato soup, so I expected to love it. The soups are really a bust for me and I bought so many of them to get started because I could not imagine that I woudn't like them. I am usually not a fussy eater. :(

blueandwhite 03-20-2011 12:22 PM

Yesterday I made a lunch with the tomato soup that turned out pretty good. I mixed the packet of soup with the water, then poured it into a bowl with a dry packet of the spagetti and cooked in microwave. I sauted 4 cups veggies (mushrooms, zucchini, peppers & onions), and prepared 1 package of shiritake fettucini. Mixed it all together with some extra basil & oregano, and divided it into 2 portions.

It tasted WAY better than either of the packets do on their own, was super filling, and cut the carb count of the spaghetti in half! Would have been even better with some tomatoes or tomato sauce; will add some next time.

Shrinking Sandra 03-26-2011 01:49 PM

today for lunch I had this and I must say from the moment I shook it up and smelled it, I knew I wasn't going to enjoy my lunch.
This was probably the worst tasting thing I have ever tasted. I ended up putting chili powder in it so I couldn't taste it anymore.
I really wanted to like this one.
the only soup I like is the mushroom.

smh321pa 03-26-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 (Post 3744932)
I have tried it once, just by itself, and it was ok. When I told my coach I liked it "but just ok", she mentioned that a few of her IPers had added apple cider vinegar and lots of fresh basil. I will try that next time.

I took Pxlkitty4's suggestion and added one cap full of apple cider vinegar once the tomato basil soup was already cooked and in the bowl. I also used fat free chicken broth instead of the water. It is now the only soup that I eat without the addition of any other vegetables.

dunwitfat 03-26-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mymooser (Post 3741320)
Has anyone tried the new tomato basil soup?
I tried it and I have to say I actually liked it. I hate all the other soups.
But I would like it a whole lot more if I had something else added to it. Cause like all the other soups it needs to be watered down a lot as it still tastes like a vitamin supplement. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm no chef and I can't think of anything that would help it.

I LOVE the tomato basil.....this won't water it down but I add crushed salt and vinegar ridges....just a little! I crush the whole bag in a baggy and use them sparingly. Yum

AprilH3 03-28-2011 02:04 AM

I hate the tomtato soup. Hate it. If all the soups have that icky powder taste I'll stick to shakes. I'm on day 3 though so maybe they'll get better. I add Mrs. Dash fiesta lime and some salt to even be able to eat it. Only 4 more days of it. (gag)

hollyfer 04-03-2011 06:57 PM

My first soup

Today's my first day on IP. I had the tomato soup for lunch. I had a quick taste after it had been heated for one minute, and I thought it was the most disgusting thing I ever put in my mouth. I heated it another 30 seconds, and some Braggs soy sauce and ended up really enjoying it. The soy sauce really added a richness to the flavor.

I think since you get seven in a box you're stuck finding a way to make it taste good for you. Good luck!

DebbieCurrie 07-23-2014 12:33 PM

I blended tomato soup, 8 oz water, garlic, mixed Italian spices, sautéed mushrooms, 2 cups spinach, some peppers, salt and pepper to make a sauce. I cooked lean hamburger and 1 package of rotini. Mixed everything together and had 2 very good meals out of it.

danijo8806 07-23-2014 12:48 PM

I just ordered this to pick up at my WI on Friday. I will definitely try these options. Thanks for the ideas!

ChipnDip 07-23-2014 06:05 PM

I roast a ton of red peppers and purée them. I freeze it in one cup equivalent portions (1 pepper is about a cup). I stir the roasted pepper puree into the soup. It thickens it up, makes a richer colour rather than the pink. I add more dried basil and lots of fresh ground pepper.

usmcvet 07-24-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbieCurrie (Post 5045251)
I blended tomato soup, 8 oz water, garlic, mixed Italian spices, sautéed mushrooms, 2 cups spinach, some peppers, salt and pepper to make a sauce. I cooked lean hamburger and 1 package of rotini. Mixed everything together and had 2 very good meals out of it.

That sounds good!

The tomato soup is one of my favorites. It's good there are so many choices for us. I find adding veggies to the packets helps fill me up and to get my veggies in!:carrot: