The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein

You're on Page 13 of 15
Go to
  • Quote: You all seem to have a lot of knowledge of IP. I have followed a low carb diet in the past - Jorge Cruise's, which worked great, but I fell off the wagon and gained all my weight back plus some. I joined IP because I need some structure and accountability to get this weight off. I am having trouble understanding why there is sugar and other weird chemical stuff in the IP products since I have been in the mind set that things like sugar/soy are not good for you. Perhaps I am missing something here...
    Stephascope,

Good question!

I don't know why. I am totally impressed with some of the new IP products that are moving to higher carb content -- eg some of the bars.

I personally am not a fan of soy -- not because of any intolerance but because I just don't think it is that good for a person.

Sugars occur naturally in many things so it is difficult to avoid it entirely.

I don't use many of the higher carb count IP products. I don't have a restricted every day (I use them on special occasions. They are my treats. I don't need a treat every day.)

I think each person has a unique range of what their body can handle in terms of sugar, etc. The IP products -- despite some of their content -- and protocol keep us under that range.

I not a fan of processed foods either. From that perspective, using IP's packaged food was a bit of a stumbling block. Because I knew that it worked, I personally resolved that using some packaged food for a finite period of time was a healthier option than being super morbidly obese ... which I clinically was.

I respect IP and its protocols.

Annik
  • Quote: You all seem to have a lot of knowledge of IP. I have followed a low carb diet in the past - Jorge Cruise's, which worked great, but I fell off the wagon and gained all my weight back plus some. I joined IP because I need some structure and accountability to get this weight off. I am having trouble understanding why there is sugar and other weird chemical stuff in the IP products since I have been in the mind set that things like sugar/soy are not good for you. Perhaps I am missing something here...
    I'm going to echo Annik

I also do not believe soy is good for people. The soy content in the IP foods held me back from starting IP for eight months. In that time I only gained more weight, got more miserable, and sicker. I finally decided that phase 1 of IP would be temporary and that I would do what I needed to do to lose the weight.

I am another who is not fond of highly processed foods and I have found some alternatives that I find more appealing (and soy/gluten/Splenda-free)

In the long run, I'll be able to go back to a more whole foods plan as a healthier, thinner person and I'll use a paleo/primal plan for maintenance.
  • I'm with Lisa - I was very hesitant to do any "packaged food" diets, but the health reasons, plus the self-esteem issues took and take precedence.

I cannot tolerate the taste of Stevia, but I really cannot stand the thought of having to use Splenda forever. I hope I will be allowed minimal amounts of sugar for maintenance!
  • Quote: I'm with Lisa - I was very hesitant to do any "packaged food" diets, but the health reasons, plus the self-esteem issues took and take precedence.

I cannot tolerate the taste of Stevia, but I really cannot stand the thought of having to use Splenda forever. I hope I will be allowed minimal amounts of sugar for maintenance!
    Zephyr,

Side bar about stevia: what brand are you using? some of the versions are very bitter. Others can leave a metallic taste in one's mouth.

Three kinds that are ok for me are these brands: NOW, Organika, and Sunrider.

I wonder if it might be worth exploring...

Annik
  • I am not even sure which one I tried, but I will see about exploring others. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Thanks for the great feedback ladies! I too have the attitude that this is just temporary and once I am on maintenance I will try to eat less processed, whole foods.
  • Quote: I think that's totally irresponsible. Maybe even mean. Is she/he just stringing you along? Sounds like a bid for a perminant client if you ask me (which of course, you didn't. But this got my goat.)
    I agree didn't your coach even help you properly phase off so you didn't shock your body. They should have helped you by giving you ways to either phase off until you get back or stay on ................
  • question...
    what do you all consider as "cheating"

just curious as to everyone has a different view point.
    someone may think using a little ketchup one day as cheating, while another wouldn't. Or some may consider cheating as eating something like fried chicken and french fries. So what do you all consider cheating??

• Quote: what do you all consider as "cheating"

just curious as to everyone has a different view point.
    someone may think using a little ketchup one day as cheating, while another wouldn't. Or some may consider cheating as eating something like fried chicken and french fries. So what do you all consider cheating??

Essentially anything that is not following Phases completely (so, if it's not protocal, AKA not on the sheets as an approved item) is considered a cheat.
  • Phase 1 Alternate
    For those of you that say you are cheating... are you really cheating with pie, taco chips, that kind of thing or maybe you should talk to your coach about the Phase 1 Alternate plan for those that may need more carbs/fat due to health or medication reasons. The Alternate Plan includes 1 limited kind of dairy, 1 limited kind of fruit, and one limited kind of grain/starch a day. You must eat them at separate meals and cannot trade for multiples of your favorites (for me it's dairy). It is still a weight loss program - maybe a slight bit slower than regular Phase 1, but if it keeps you on track and does not throw guilt on you if unneeded, that's the way to go. No point in adding stress cortisol where it isn't warranted.
    Hope this helps someone.
  • Quote: Hi all, this is a flyer that was givin to me in my start up packet. It has really helped me, and I hope it will help one of you reading it that didn't get it when they started. Amy
    The Real Costs of Cheating on the Idea Protein Program By Tom Ferguson

Thank you for sharing this, I will be starting my IP program on Monday and I think referring to this will keep me focused. I will print this and hang it at my desk at work to keep me focused. NO CHEAT DAYS!!!!
  • I needed to read this. I was doing so good up until my friend's wedding I was in, just to fit into a bridesmaid dress. Then I just lost all motivation. I need to keep the momentum going, but first I need to get it back!
  • Quote: I needed to read this. I was doing so good up until my friend's wedding I was in, just to fit into a bridesmaid dress. Then I just lost all motivation. I need to keep the momentum going, but first I need to get it back!
    C'mon back girl! Do it for you, not just a piece of fabric, lol! Hit the Daily Chat thread & the Home of 100% (No Cheat Zone) for more serious motivation. You can do this!

Liana
  • I confess I have had lots of fudging on my diets since I began I weighed 299 Dec 2012 when I stared in Feb. 2013 with NUTRISYSTEM for Diabetics. Lost 25 lbs. by end of May 2013 but not many inches.
    Began IDP diet Sept 3 2013, I have lost another 44 lbs and over 36 inches body size. My A1c is 5,5 and I am off of 7 yrs of full oxygen and feel much better. However, even though I am finally recouping from radiation damage to my body due to cancer treatments, I should be at least 50lbs. more weight lost.
    Now I am going to use alternative products and try to get my cheating in control, UGH crunch is my biggest down fall; corn chips and popcorn. Cheating is expensive and not fair to our bodies.
    I pray I can get a grip, any ideas?
  • Quote: I confess I have had lots of fudging on my diets since I began I weighed 299 Dec 2012 when I stared in Feb. 2013 with NUTRISYSTEM for Diabetics. Lost 25 lbs. by end of May 2013 but not many inches.
    Began IDP diet Sept 3 2013, I have lost another 44 lbs and over 36 inches body size. My A1c is 5,5 and I am off of 7 yrs of full oxygen and feel much better. However, even though I am finally recouping from radiation damage to my body due to cancer treatments, I should be at least 50lbs. more weight lost.
    Now I am going to use alternative products and try to get my cheating in control, UGH crunch is my biggest down fall; corn chips and popcorn. Cheating is expensive and not fair to our bodies.
    I pray I can get a grip, any ideas?
    Tweetybird, get on to the 100% No Cheat Zone thread, and also the daily chat thread since a bit of encouragement every day helps a lot. The 100%'ers will help give you the much needed backbone, lol. And maybe talk you down from a 'scary place.' See you there!

Liana