Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 349/278.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Bitter Taste

Hi All,

I have an interesting (to me anyway) experience to report. Since Saturday I have had a weird bitter taste in the middle/back of my tongue, which became especially apparent when I drank some milk. I thought the milk was bad, since it was a brand of organic milk that I had never used before and this morning took it back to the store. Imagine my surprise when I opened the new bag of the kind I regularly buy and while it tasted good in my mouth, there was that horrible bitter taste back again after I had swallowed it.

Has anyone else experienced this bitter taste phenomenon?

I am a bit concerned since when I googled "bitter taste" one of the first things that came up as a possible cause was cadmium poisoning! In light of the Consumer's Report on heavy metals contamination in protein supplements last summer, it was a bit of a shock. I have been drinking an alternate brand of RTDs lately to save money and for the convenience factor, occasionally two in one day, but this is fairly recent--in the last couple of months only, so should not be long enough to have built up significant toxicity (I hope) even if this product turns out to contain a highish dose of cadmium.

I have emailed the company requesting a fact sheet/chemical analysis and we'll see what they send in response. I thought I'd report this to the thread and see what comes up in reply and what information you all have to share. I will, of course, share whatever information they send me.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas to everyone. I hope you have a great one, and Happy New Year too!

Jackie

Last edited by Jacqueline; 12-22-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #32  

Sure it is not just ketosis?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #33  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

S/C/G: 160/123/125

Height: 5'3 Size 4!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
Hi All,

I have an interesting (to me anyway) experience to report. Since Saturday I have had a weird bitter taste in the middle/back of my tongue, which became especially apparent when I drank some milk. I thought the milk was bad, since it was a brand of organic milk that I had never used before and this morning took it back to the store. Imagine my surprise when I opened the new bag of the kind I regularly buy and while it tasted good in my mouth, there was that horrible bitter taste back again after I had swallowed it.

Has anyone else experienced this bitter taste phenomenon?

I am a bit concerned since when I googled "bitter taste" one of the first things that came up as a possible cause was cadmium poisoning! In light of the Consumer's Report on heavy metals contamination in protein supplements last summer, it was a bit of a shock. I have been drinking an alternate brand of RTDs lately to save money and for the convenience factor, occasionally two in one day, but this is fairly recent--in the last couple of months only, so should not be long enough to have built up significant toxicity (I hope) even if this product turns out to contain a highish dose of cadmium.

I have emailed the company requesting a fact sheet/chemical analysis and we'll see what they send in response. I thought I'd report this to the thread and see what comes up in reply and what information you all have to share. I will, of course, share whatever information they send me.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas to everyone. I hope you have a great one, and Happy New Year too!

Jackie
Hi Jackie, Sorry to hear about the bitter taste. I, too, have been using an alternative high protein drink - I use the one from New Lifestyles. I have been using them for about 6 weeks. I typically drink one per day but also may use an extra splash in an additional cup of coffee. I haven't noticed a problem or bitter taste, but this does concern me. Can you say which brand you were using? I have rarely had two per day when I am traveling and use one while driving for lunch while I drive and munch my cut up veges.

Thank you for sharing the information you get from the company.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanies View Post
Sure it is not just ketosis?
Okay, now I feel like a idget! And Chicken Little to boot!! Thanks for the laugh! But I think not. I've been doing IP since August, and this is the first time I've had this bitter, chemically taste. I am willing to be corrected, though--better a idget than a toxic waste dump!

Jackie
Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #35  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyM View Post
Hi Jackie, Sorry to hear about the bitter taste. I, too, have been using an alternative high protein drink - I use the one from New Lifestyles. I have been using them for about 6 weeks. I typically drink one per day but also may use an extra splash in an additional cup of coffee. I haven't noticed a problem or bitter taste, but this does concern me. Can you say which brand you were using? I have rarely had two per day when I am traveling and use one while driving for lunch while I drive and munch my cut up veges.

Thank you for sharing the information you get from the company.
Hi Sally, The brand I'm using is Premier Nutrition Chocolate RTDs.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #36  
Started IP May 25,2010

S/C/G: 175/118/120

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeLeigh View Post
Hey guys,

Hope ya'll don't mind if I join in. Some of you may remember that I was about two weeks into the diet (11 lbs down) in November when I found out I was pregnant. I, of course, immediately stopped the diet.

I'm sad to say that I had an early loss in mid-November and it just really threw me. I have been in a real funk/depression for the last six weeks or so.

We are going to start trying to conceive again in February, but until then I am trying to get myself back on track. I'm planning on restarting IP after we get back home from traveling for the Christmas holiday. I have enough packets to go for a couple of weeks before I go back to see my coach.

I've only regained 4 of the 11 lbs I lost, so I'm considering that a victory.
I am sorry to hear of your loss. Now will be a good time to work on loosing your unwanted weight and hang around with your friends on the chick site. It will benifit you to be lighter when you get pregnant again. till later, Judy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejg View Post
This is my first post. Today was my consultation and I'm very excited about starting IP next Wednesday (after all the family holday parties and to end the year with a new beginning). Kudos to all of you - I've been lurking the past month and b/c of your advice and support for each other I decided to use IP as the first step/ tool in my lifestyle change. Have fun!
Welcome to a wonderful site and to a group of ladies who care enough to tell you like it is. We're here for you. Judy
Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Chins

I have noticed that my neck is much thinner. A couple of my chins have disappeared! YAY.
Many of the progress pics show thinner necks, interesting place to relase weight from.
I am just loving IP. People's reactions are mixed. One of my best friends, she is 73 and tiny, 4'10" and 95 lbs. Watches everything she eats and always has. Last night we went out for dinner a very nice place in Tacoma, WA, El Gaucho. Very expensive, I think anyway. I ordered the prawns and scallops and requested veggies instead of the linguine and ordered a salad without croutons. She says to me, "how long are you going to eat this way?" Well I will add some healthy carbs when I reach my goal size (not so much a weight/number on the scale but how my clothes fit). She says, "you can't eat this way forever it has been 3 months already". I just smiled. she says these things mind you while she picks every crouton out of her salad and puts them on her bread plate to be taken away and after she has pulled all the topping (garlic butter and cheese) from the bread that was brought to the table eating only the crust. Made me giggle. really?!! I can't eat this way forever but she has always eaten like that. funny.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 245.6/193.4/180.0 IP 10/17/10

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
I have noticed that my neck is much thinner. A couple of my chins have disappeared! YAY.
Many of the progress pics show thinner necks, interesting place to relase weight from.
I am just loving IP. People's reactions are mixed. One of my best friends, she is 73 and tiny, 4'10" and 95 lbs. Watches everything she eats and always has. Last night we went out for dinner a very nice place in Tacoma, WA, El Gaucho. Very expensive, I think anyway. I ordered the prawns and scallops and requested veggies instead of the linguine and ordered a salad without croutons. She says to me, "how long are you going to eat this way?" Well I will add some healthy carbs when I reach my goal size (not so much a weight/number on the scale but how my clothes fit). She says, "you can't eat this way forever it has been 3 months already". I just smiled. she says these things mind you while she picks every crouton out of her salad and puts them on her bread plate to be taken away and after she has pulled all the topping (garlic butter and cheese) from the bread that was brought to the table eating only the crust. Made me giggle. really?!! I can't eat this way forever but she has always eaten like that. funny.
That is funny what people say about this WOE! I have noticed the weight loss in my neck also, just by the way necklaces hang now. It is a nice change.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of my IP internet friends!
Closed Thread