IP Weekend Chat - 18 & 19 Dec. 2010

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Cracked and dry skin ...
    Hi all. I am reposting this message as I was down and out on Friday with a horrible 24 hour flu. I think I lost weight just that day, but not the way I want to lose it. Anyways, looking forward to any comments or suggestions. Here it is:

I am having an issue with my hands.

Not sure if it is weather-related --- since it has been bitterly cold here in southwestern Ontario, but has anyone else out there had problems with dry and cracked skin --- especially on the fingertips?

This has been happening to me now for about the past 3 weeks. The cracks do eventually heal, but it seems to take a long time and then a new crack appears.

I have been using Aveeno hand cream twice during the day and also lathering it on at night.

I have three fingers on which the corner near the nail has cracked open. Very sore and painful --- especially when typing. This is not good as I am a legal secretary and do lots of typing.

Could it be from a deficiency in not eating the dairy, fruits, etc.?

Looking to hear from anyone with similar complaints or any suggestions?

Thanks!
    L
  • My weight loss journey hasn't proceeded as fast as that of many on this forum, but I woke up this morning to realize I have lost 35 pounds!
    I've been on the program for almost 5 months, and that weight had been on for many many years. If a year ago I could have envisioned being 35 pounds lighter (truly) by Christmas, I would have been delighted. I AM delighted now. So many other diets, so many disappointments.

When I started I couldn't even visualize myself at my goal weight; I just had to proceed on faith and take the recommendation of a friend who had lost 20 pounds on IP. Boy was it worth it! I know I can do it, and if it takes a few more months, it's ok with me. Yes the food is expensive but so are diabetes and heart problems, which is where I was headed. Also my husband utters prayers of thanks for my newfound health (and looks) - that is priceless!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend and taking extra good care of your precious selves.

Crystal
  • Quote: Hi all. I am reposting this message as I was down and out on Friday with a horrible 24 hour flu. I think I lost weight just that day, but not the way I want to lose it. Anyways, looking forward to any comments or suggestions. Here it is:

Not sure if it is weather-related --- since it has been bitterly cold here in southwestern Ontario, but has anyone else out there had problems with dry and cracked skin --- especially on the fingertips?

This has been happening to me now for about the past 3 weeks. The cracks do eventually heal, but it seems to take a long time and then a new crack appears.

I have been using Aveeno hand cream twice during the day and also lathering it on at night.

I have three fingers on which the corner near the nail has cracked open. Very sore and painful --- especially when typing. This is not good as I am a legal secretary and do lots of typing.

Thanks!
    L
    There is a rancher in Wyoming that makes a medicated hand lotion called "That Stuff" if you google it you should find it. It will heal your hands in a few days. Increase your water and that should helps as well.

I am 4 lbs away from having lost 100 lbs! Gonna push really hard this week to see if I can make it by Christmas!!
  • Quote: I am having an issue with my hands. Not sure if it is weather-related --- since it has been bitterly cold here in southwestern Ontario, but has anyone else out there had problems with dry and cracked skin --- especially on the fingertips?

It's probably due to the low fat content of IP's protocols. A couple of suggestions:
    • Increase your oil by a tsp this week. And again next week, and again until the issue resolves. Be sure to use olive oil not canola or grape seed oil.
    • Massage food-grade olive or coconut oil on your skin. Coconut oil has the advantage of being mildly anti-fungal & anti-bacterial.
    • I've used a product called Uremol 10 lotion (available at Shoppers and other drug stores) on dry skin on my feet. It is not cheap and AMAZINGLY moisturizing! Gross as it may sound the key ingredient is urea, which is known as a very effective moisturizer. Americans should be able to find a product called Carmol which is similar.
    Good luck!
  • Quote: There is a rancher in Wyoming that makes a medicated hand lotion called "That Stuff" if you google it you should find it. It will heal your hands in a few days. Increase your water and that should helps as well.

I am 4 lbs away from having lost 100 lbs! Gonna push really hard this week to see if I can make it by Christmas!!
    Thanks for the info Jency. I am from Canada, but will look into it. I drink tons of water each day --- more than what is required --- thinking it's a combo of things ---- very cold weather here too so I am sure it all factors in.

Wow almost 100 pounds --- you should be so very proud of yourself! Isn't this program great? I am 4 away from my goal of 80 and I am hoping to hit it by WI on Wednesday ... a nice Christmas present to myself!!

Best of luck to you and keep it going :-)

L
  • Quote: It's probably due to the low fat content of IP's protocols. A couple of suggestions:
    • Increase your oil by a tsp this week. And again next week, and again until the issue resolves. Be sure to use olive oil not canola or grape seed oil.
    • Massage food-grade olive or coconut oil on your skin. Coconut oil has the advantage of being mildly anti-fungal & anti-bacterial.
    • I've used a product called Uremol 10 lotion (available at Shoppers and other drug stores) on dry skin on my feet. It is not cheap and AMAZINGLY moisturizing! Gross as it may sound the key ingredient is urea, which is known as a very effective moisturizer. Americans should be able to find a product called Carmol which is similar.
    Good luck!
    Thanks for all the good info Svelting --- will try each one and see what works for me. You know how cold it has been for us Canadians too.

L
  • Quote: The things I love since losing weight:

*I love pulling a pair of socks on that I can pull up past my ankles

*I love to curl up on the couch & my dog lays comfortably in front of me

*I love being able to sit on a desk during a meeting when there are not enough chairs.

*I love being able to carry things to my car without being out of breath

*I love to have to dry my hoodies in the drier

*I love folding my underwear because they look so small

*I love being able to get on the floor to plug a cord in behind a chair

*I love to be able to take a walk and feel good when I get back

*I love throwing away the Big Girl catalogs

*I love to walk down the hallway at work and some one does not recognize me

*I love not sticking the insulin needle in my stomach 7 times a day

*I love it when someeone calls me skinny

*I love to be surprised when I put on jeans and they button easily

*I love to feel my bones at unexpected times

*I love to have my husband tell me how good I look

*I love to smile at strangers and they smile back

*I love playing with my grandchildren on the floor

*I love that I fit through turnstiles easily

*I love that the seatbelts on airplanes fit better

*I love the different level of confidence I have

*I love being involved with this forum

*I love that the bath towel goes all the way around me & I can tuck it in

*I love to be around food and count up the calories that I saved myself

*But most of all, I just love me!
    Awesome list! These are the kinds of things we need to remind ourselves when we face a challenge.

I could add...

*I love being able kneel at church and not have to sit back because my belly is in the way.

*I love being able to dance in closed position.

* I love being able to cross my legs.

* I love being able to fit in small spaces and not feel like I'm bumping into everything.

* I love wearing the smallest size in the fat girl stores---or better yet, when their clothes are too big for me!
  • Quote: Hi all. I am reposting this message as I was down and out on Friday with a horrible 24 hour flu. I think I lost weight just that day, but not the way I want to lose it. Anyways, looking forward to any comments or suggestions. Here it is:

Thanks!L
    I hope you feel better after having the flu.

I also am experiencing cracks on my finger tips. But I also gets cracks on my heels in the summer from wearing sandals. So who knows if it is from this diet. Anyway, I use super glue on the cracks for fingers and heels. Works instantly and allows your cracks to heal from the inside out.

Quote: My weight loss journey hasn't proceeded as fast as that of many on this forum, but I woke up this morning to realize I have lost 35 pounds!
    I've been on the program for almost 5 months, and that weight had been on for many many years. If a year ago I could have envisioned being 35 pounds lighter (truly) by Christmas, I would have been delighted. I AM delighted now. So many other diets, so many disappointments.

When I started I couldn't even visualize myself at my goal weight; I just had to proceed on faith and take the recommendation of a friend who had lost 20 pounds on IP. Boy was it worth it! I know I can do it, and if it takes a few more months, it's ok with me. Yes the food is expensive but so are diabetes and heart problems, which is where I was headed. Also my husband utters prayers of thanks for my newfound health (and looks) - that is priceless!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend and taking extra good care of your precious selves. Crystal
    That is an awesome feeling. I have lost 32 lbs since 10/17/10, I'm almost half way to goal!

I'm svelting! I have missed your posts. How are you doing?
  • Does anyone know if xanax affects the weight loss? I take it for my flight anxiety. My doctor says no affect. Thinking I might need it for the stress I will feel the whole time in Las Vegas.
  • darbs....im not sure about xanax but ive taken lexapro before and it did affect my weight! It made me not even hungry and I lost 10 lbs ( not healthy way at all)! on the stuff but I dont take it anymore so not sure how something would affect you on IP
  • Quote: I am 4 lbs away from having lost 100 lbs! Gonna push really hard this week to see if I can make it by Christmas!!
    GO! GO! GO!

(Editorial note: Oh crumbs. I wrote that before I realized the implication.)
  • Quote: There is a rancher in Wyoming that makes a medicated hand lotion called "That Stuff" if you google it you should find it. It will heal your hands in a few days. Increase your water and that should helps as well.

I am new to this site and just wanted to congratulate you. That is incredible!!
    I am on my 9th week and have lost 32 lbs and feel great. With that determination you will succeed. Happy Holidays
  • Quote: I am on my 9th week and have lost 32 lbs and feel great.
    Welcome! And what an introduction! Please don't just drop in and drop out. You observations in the Life After thread could be invaluable.
  • Quote: darbs....im not sure about xanax but ive taken lexapro before and it did affect my weight! It made me not even hungry and I lost 10 lbs ( not healthy way at all)! on the stuff but I dont take it anymore so not sure how something would affect you on IP
    What is lexapro for? Is it a similar medication?
  • Why am I hungry this week?
    After six great weeks on IP, I have been unexpectedly hungry often this week! I have no idea what that's about because I have and continue to stick to Protocol strictly. I have not exercised at all during this period either.

The timing could be better with all the holiday treats, don't you think?!