What time do you eat?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: After some tips last week about not staying in ketosis long enough with some of my veggie choices I adjusted and lost 2lbs. I thought it might be helpful to see what peoples daily schedule is like as I tend to drop weight on the weekends when I'm up longer and think maybe I need to switch around my time of eating.

Well here goes my week day schedule, please join and post yours also or give me tips if you see something I could change:

6:30am: wake up
    8:00am: coffee with 2oz rtd
    9:30: IP drink
    12:00 veggie lunch & IP
    4:00pm IP snack
    7:00pm Dinner
    10:30pm Bed
    Weekly weight loss: 1-3 pounds a week
    I like snack before dinner because I'm starving by the time I'm getting ready to go home.

The only thing I can think of is my coach told me to eat an hour after waking and eating my last snack an hour before bed. I wonder it would help to eat half your snack before dinner and half before bed.
  • Quote: I eat the same veggies everyday for lunch celery and cucumbers.

For dinner I rotate Collard greens (2X a week), aspargus (2X a week), brocolli or cauliflower, and then a stir fry or two (bean sprouts, mushrooms, radicchio, spinach, bok choy)

Every other week I have brussel sprouts (1 cup)...as a treat ( I love them)
    WOW! Im impressed with how organized you are Darbs!!

I should take notes....
  • Quote: WOW! Im impressed with how organized you are Darbs!!

I should take notes....
    thanks....I spent my first 5 weeks figuring out what works best and have stuck with it the last 9/10 weeks....with the result of 3 to 4 pound loss every single week...so now I just follow my routine with little variation..all good though....I like the routine.
  • Quote: Congrats to you for continuing to find ways to make the process work for you and your body! The only comment I would have about your schedule is that due to eating you snack midday and you breakfast so late you are going over 14 hours out of every 24 with no essentially no caloric/protein intake. I was not a morning person when I started IP and like you, would delay breakfast for several hours after waking up. I eventually began to force myself to eat earlier. I don't know if it helped my weight loss or not (I was almost to the point of phasing off) but it made it a lot easier to move to phase 3 where you are REQUIRED to eat the big breakfast.

I"d be interested to hear other people's thoughts but I was told that as soon as you eat in the morning your body begins to rev up and your metabolism increases. So if you eat earlier you are burning more calories sooner. Not sure if that is science or myth, though.

I wonder if you could do an afternoon snack with 1/2 your IP and some veggies (celery stix?) and then do the same right before bed? Or move your breakfast earlier?

anyway, great job on your loss!
    I agree It sounds like way too long after getting up in the morning to eat. wow! I couldn't do it. Doesn't sound healthy to let your body without food. BUT I am not a medical professional. Seems many are waiting several hours after getting up to eat though an people are losing.
  • My schedule is not as set my work schedule is kinda whacky. Sometimes I work til midnight and the back to work at 8 sometimes not etc.

If it is hot yoga day I drink 1/2 a choc drink before yoga and the other 1/2 after.

breakfast within 1 hour of getting up
    vanilla RTD mixed with flavored tea

lunch 3 to 4 hours later
    IP packet
    2 cups of veggies
    salad

snack
    salad (lettuce only)

dinner
    cooked protein
    2 cups veggies

before bed
    IP choc drink, mixed with hot peppermint tea lately
    or if the next morning is 6am hot yoga then I have an IP bar so I have the carb energy first thing in the morning
    Kim
  • Quote: Hmmm. This might be something for me to try. My Dr said I should wait later in the morning to have my IP packet so I can burn more fat in ketosis but I totally agree with you that it is a long break and that overnight fast does need to end. I think I'll try having my IP packet first thing in the morning and see if this mixes things up a bit.
    It sounds like you are already planning some changes, but I just thought I would toss this out there for others to consider...

I'm not a dr. or a coach, but my understanding is that in Phase 1 your are meant to always be in a steady state of ketosis (it does not stop just because you eat breakfast, as long as you don't eat too many carbs). And the idea of the paced out meals is to be sure your body always has protein readily available so it continues to burn fat (and does not instead go after your muscle--which includes your heart!).

I was told (and I have heard others say they were told) to eat the snack as late at night as possible and to eat breakfast within an hour of getting up, so that your body is never going more than 8-9 hours without some intake of protein. If you have not done so already you may want to read Dr. Tran's book, the link to the free download is on the first page of every day's chat. Look at pages 45-48, which I think speaks to this question.