Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/189/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Newbie...want to start, BUT...

Hi! I'm new and I want to start IP as I've heard/seen fabulous results from my friend who has been on it since October. I want to get started in January because I feel like I will fall off the wagon quickly with the holidays. I lost a child a few months ago and I really want to be mentally prepared to change my eating habits, while dealing with my emotions/grief.

I'm looking to get started tomorrow in making changes that will make the "big change" in January run a little smoother. Here is my December list:
1. Drink more water
2. Protein Drink for breakfast

Anything else??? Help, I've gained a lot of weight during my child's illness during the past 5 years. I want to get rid of my worry weight and find myself again. Thanks so much!
want2findme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #2  
Start date: August 19/10

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to 3FC and congrats on your decision to a start IP. I am so very sorry for your loss.

I think you are making some wise decisions in your choice to wait a bit and your plan to prepare for this change in your lifestyle. My only other suggestions are to try cutting back on carbs, read labels on everything you buy to help you be more aware and read everything on this site. The information that is shared here between veterens and newbies alike, is completely invaluable.

Good luck and keep in touch. This forum is a great source of support.
Mamadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #3  

Thanks so much, Mamadancer! I have been reading all day! Looking forward to getting to know everyone here!
Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #4  
Kimi

S/C/G: 211.5/148.5/140

Height: 5'2"

What really helped me a few weeks before was to start drinking 100oz everyday over a long weekend to get my body rehydrated. I needed to do this because I almost never drank water and spent a lot of the weekend in the bathroom. Now I can drink that and more with no problems. I also found that I have way more energy just from drinking water I even quit coffee even though that is not a requirement. Good luck, you will love it.
Peanuts Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #5  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

I'm very sad for your loss and cannot imagine how you and your family has suffered. I am glad that you are able to find a way to channel your grief into a life-affirming decision for yourself, and welcome to IP.

My advice is to make the transition into this new way of eating as easy as possible, so you will stick with it for the first week (the hardest part). You'll have to figure out for yourself the timing of these changes, but if it were me I would get through all of this before Day 1. Some of this you may want to phase off, rather than go "cold turkey".

1. if you drink soda or diet soda, you need to quit.
2. stop eating anything with processed sugar. That includes obvious culprits like cookies and ice cream, but start by examining every item in your refrigerator and cupboard. If it has sugar, corn syrup or anything ending in "-ose" start getting rid of it now. Kicking the sugar habit is very hard and can give you headaches, etc so better to taper this off over a week.
3. cut down on caffeine. get down to 1 cup of coffee or tea a day--also good to taper off.
4. Start cutting down on carbs. If you eat a sandwich make it open faced. If you are having a burger, how about lettuce instead of a bun? The less carbs you take in now, the faster you will get into ketosis later.
5. start increasing your veggies and experimenting with new recipes. Try making a dinner with 2 veggies and no "starch" (potatoes, rice, etc.) 2-3 times a week.

Before you do anything though, take some "before" photos and weigh and measure yourself. I didn't do this as I could not BEAR to look at myself, and now I truly regret not having that to look back on and truly appreciate my full successes.

Have a lovely holiday season and looking forward to seeing you here!
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2findme View Post
Hi! I'm new and I want to start IP as I've heard/seen fabulous results from my friend who has been on it since October. I want to get started in January because I feel like I will fall off the wagon quickly with the holidays. I lost a child a few months ago and I really want to be mentally prepared to change my eating habits, while dealing with my emotions/grief.

I'm looking to get started tomorrow in making changes that will make the "big change" in January run a little smoother. Here is my December list:
1. Drink more water
2. Protein Drink for breakfast

Anything else??? Help, I've gained a lot of weight during my child's illness during the past 5 years. I want to get rid of my worry weight and find myself again. Thanks so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
I'm very sad for your loss and cannot imagine how you and your family has suffered. I am glad that you are able to find a way to channel your grief into a life-affirming decision for yourself, and welcome to IP.

My advice is to make the transition into this new way of eating as easy as possible, so you will stick with it for the first week (the hardest part). You'll have to figure out for yourself the timing of these changes, but if it were me I would get through all of this before Day 1. Some of this you may want to phase off, rather than go "cold turkey".

1. if you drink soda or diet soda, you need to quit.
2. stop eating anything with processed sugar. That includes obvious culprits like cookies and ice cream, but start by examining every item in your refrigerator and cupboard. If it has sugar, corn syrup or anything ending in "-ose" start getting rid of it now. Kicking the sugar habit is very hard and can give you headaches, etc so better to taper this off over a week.
3. cut down on caffeine. get down to 1 cup of coffee or tea a day--also good to taper off.
4. Start cutting down on carbs. If you eat a sandwich make it open faced. If you are having a burger, how about lettuce instead of a bun? The less carbs you take in now, the faster you will get into ketosis later.
5. start increasing your veggies and experimenting with new recipes. Try making a dinner with 2 veggies and no "starch" (potatoes, rice, etc.) 2-3 times a week.

Before you do anything though, take some "before" photos and weigh and measure yourself. I didn't do this as I could not BEAR to look at myself, and now I truly regret not having that to look back on and truly appreciate my full successes.

Have a lovely holiday season and looking forward to seeing you here!

I am so sorry to hear of your recent loss. It sounds like you also went through a lot before hand. I think you will find there are a few people here who have similar experiences and will be able to understand your grief and be able to offer you great support.

Just to add to what has been said by Rocky, (great suggestions by the way), you should also consider:

adding more green vegetables, and salads ( you will be eating 2 a day on the program) and cutting down on grains, cereals, nuts, nut butters and, roots vegetables.

start eating your salads with a homemade dressing like oil and vinegar with herbs occasionally. On the program you will not have the usually salad dressing choices.

start cutting back on fruit and fruit juices

cut out the use of alcohol by the end of the month. start by reducing and make New Year's Eve your last drink for awhile.

Start reducing dairy intake this means milk, cream, butter, and cheese. You will only be having 1 oz of skim milk per day while on the program.

Get use to writing down what you eat. Your coach will require you to journal your food so that any slow down or stall can be evaluated or ways to help you lose more easily can be found.

Try to eat 4 small meals a day. think in terms of:

breakfast: a protein drink or 2 eggs or 3 egg whites (maybe with veggies in an omellete or scramble), with a few times a week a slice of whole grain bread or a single multi grain waffle or a couple of silver dollar size pancakes or piece of fruit, and a small glass of skim or 2% milk

lunch : a protein, 2 veggies, a salad, maybe a slice of whole grain bread or small piece of fruit (apples, pears, and melon are your best choice this time of year)

dinner: a protein, 2 veggies, a salad

evening snack: sugar free jello or pudding or a low carb snack ( try to use something around or under 18g carbs)

If you could do the above it will be a simple matter of dropping the grains, dairy, and fruit during the week before you start the plan, then the first week you will be perfectly on target.

It is the holidays and you will be bombarded with lots of carbs and sugar but, try to reduce those things now. That is what is the most challenging transition. Also, as you reduce the carbs, try to increase the lean protein (eggs, fish, chicken, turkey, sirloin or lean beef, pork) Most people don't get enough protein in their day.

You will do great. We look forward to having you as part of the group and discussions!
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #7  
WhoDatChick

S/C/G: 229/189.0/150

Height: 5'7"

I am so sorry for your loss! I will definitely keep you in my prayers!! I've just recently started IP (10/25/10) and am down 23 lbs!! This is something that works...you will start to feel better quick! This site is awesome for support and encouragement!!!!! Have a Merry Christmas and good luck!
whodatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #8  

I'm not even sure where to begin! Thank you so much for all of your kind words and support- you are the best! I am really trying to make changes...drinking more water, cutting down on the carbs and sugar, and more veggies. I love all that this site has to offer!
@ Peanuts Mom...I have been to the bathroom so much, I feel like I'm pregnant! LOL
@Rocky Monarch...I am working on the no diet soda, almost there...thanks for that reminder! I busted out the measuring tape...boy was that a SURPRISE!! My waist is much larger than I thought! YIKES! I don't feel like pictures...bleech! Also, thanks for your kind words about what my family and i have been through...it has been rough, but we are all working on taking care of ourselves now! : D
@showgirlaz...thanks so much for all of your advice! I am def cutting sown on the sugar and alcohol. My friend said she had bad headaches the first few days...I want to avoid that! New years drinks will be the last...new year, new me! YAY!
@whodtachick...thanks for your supportive encouragement...it means a lot.

All of you are in my thoughts and prayers as well! Looking forward to a lot of success, laughs and fun! So...who can help me find a new favorite channel to watch...Food Network has to go! : (